The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Anastasis is a dishonest actor when it comes to Trump and Russia. He’s incapable of rational debate (or thought) when it comes to that subject. It’s a waste of time to try to engage him. 

This is true. It’s also totally bizarre. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 4:25 PM, Anastasis said:

A super majority of democrats in 2018 believed that Russia tampered with vote tallies in order to get Donald Trump elected. 

Just for some context. 

The political brain damage in this country is deeply rooted and probably irreversible. 

35 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Link? Because the only thing I found that lends support to your claim is a YouGov online poll. But the conclusion was not a super majority believed Russia tampered vote tallies, but rather 55% believed it was either probably (33%) or definitely (22%) true.

Polls show that a higher percentage of Republicans believe the election was “stolen” from Trump.

And just comparing these two claims without context is lazy bothsideser bullshit. Russia interfered in the 2016 election. That’s a fucking fact, as documented by the Mueller report. It appears unlikely that Russia tampered with vote tallies, but officials believe they did hack into voter rolls. So in 2018, a year before the Mueller report released, a belief that Russia hacked voter tallies was incorrect but was not far off from the truth, which is that Russia interfered with intent to influence the election and hacked into some electoral databases. The view that Russia went a step further was a legitimate inference from what we knew about Russia’s role at the time, although it ultimately proved incorrect. 

The belief in 2021 that the 2020 election was stolen or rigged is wrong on far different level. There is no evidence to support it. It’s been tested in court and failed miserably dozens of times. The vast majority of congressional Republicans and even Trump bootlick Bill Barr outright rejected it. The few reports of voter fraud related mostly to Trump (not Biden) supporters. There’s no reasonable basis to believe there was any measurable fraud in favor of Biden in 2020. As such, believing the 2020 election was stolen is entirely unjustifiable and inconsistent with all available evidence. 

image.gif.ebef8447a4d63d160de130e9a820f27d.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Not really. My read is that he’s a Trump supporter but the kind who will lie to pollsters about who he supports because he’s embarrassed to admit it. Then he’d go and vote for Trump. He’ll toss out a few casual criticisms here and there to cover his tracks but at the end of the day he’s a Trumpkin. That all fits. It would explain all the behavior I’ve seen and predict future acts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not really. My read is that he’s a Trump supporter but the kind who will lie to pollsters about who he supports because he’s embarrassed to admit it. Then he’d go and vote for Trump. He’ll toss out a few casual criticisms here and there to cover his tracks but at the end of the day he’s a Trumpkin. That all fits. It would explain all the behavior I’ve seen and predict future acts. 

While possibly true it’s the obsession with Russia and trump that’s bizarre. You can post on any number of subjects and he may or may not respond but the minute you type out the words  “Russia”  and “trump” it’s like a bat signal goes off and he’s there to post about how obsessed you allegedly are with it. I expect a post in response coming in 3...2...1...

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

While possibly true it’s the obsession with Russia and trump that’s bizarre. You can post on any number of subjects and he may or may not respond but the minute you type out the words  “Russia”  and “trump” it’s like a bat signal goes off and he’s there to post about how obsessed you allegedly are with it. I expect a post in response coming in 3...2...1...

Maybe because he knows damn well that his boy colluded with the Russians. 

I must say, one can be skeptical of the hype surrounding Russia (China is a much greater threat to our way of life) and not be a full blown trumper.

The Russians and other nations interfered in the election (as we do in other nations) - that's not new. Putin's goal to end US power through civil war in the US is evil. Acts he takes in furtherance of his goals must be met with force (soft or hard). 

But in addition to Russia, there are a line of nations who want the US to lose power (China is the most potent threat).

We have been posturing with Putin to stay out of any fight between the Chi Coms and us (that is in our national interest).

2016 was a tough loss. Rather than looking at the most obvious reason for the loss (horrible, horrible campaign strategy to encourage Trump to seek the nomination, among other things), some responsible for the loss deflected and pointed to outside forces. Russia contributed the loss, but this was largely a self-inflicted wound.  It's human nature to err. Right populism is erratic; one must be prepared to tactically suppress right populism, not grow it.   

TLDR: Putin and his mafia bosses are a continuing threat to US interests, which is why we sanction Putin and his buddies rightfully. Putin wants a civil war in the US, which makes him an enemy of our interests. He should be treated as such. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I can't find any reports of this happening on FB or Twitter...If true my guess would be they picked Lexington because of the name's affiliation w/ 1776, and also b/c they knew there would be some libs to trigger in line at Snpw's. If fake, it's a pretty creative one, but certainly not beyond the above-average imagination. On the other hand, those are some artsy-fartsy graphics on the WLM flyer. SO.....I declare: FAKE. Maybe a conspiracy to move Snow's to a Sunday opening. 

I didn't see anything for Lexington, specifically, but they do have a Twitter account. It appears they use Telegram a lot and I won't use that platform, visiting Gab is as close as I get. This story here from April states that the Proud Boys are behind them, which would make some sense. Since the national leadership was disrupted (after January 6th), the disparate chapters, especially those with the fascist nationalist white supremacist leaning have been reorganized and are pressing harder to hit the mainstream and subvert the Republican party to their will. https://mashable.com/article/white-lives-matter-telegram-chat-leaks

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I'd say that these nut bars are going to go down in the history books right alongside 9/11 truthers, but 45M+ people believe this shit. And they have an entire political party willing to play to their worst impulses and delusions if it means passing another voter suppression law.

And there's hundreds of millions of men in this world who have convinced their wives that 7 inches is not small, but their wives are still going to laugh behind their backs. 

Honestly, that 45M+ people probably don't have much in the way of actual political beliefs - it's just whatever Fox News and the GOP tells them.  They are empty heads, probably have some serious shit going on in their lives that leaves them insanely insecure, and the GOP knows how to tap into that fear.

The interesting thing is that they aren't big enough to keep Obama out of office twice, and they couldn't keep Trump in office.

The Dems will never peel away any significant number of those folks to vote (D), but they could probably keep some of them home.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

These stupid fucks. 

This is not a surprise and if trump runs again will coast to the republican nomination but he won’t because he knows he will lose the general election, can’t steal the election since he’s not the president, and his ego cannot handle that happening again.

So it’s looking like desantis in 2024.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ron DeSantis just sincerely tried to talk Donald fucking Trump out of a fundraising and self-promotion event in his state over a trivial thing like the gruesome and unexpected deaths of 150+ condominiums dwellers. 

Ron DeSantis is not mentally fit for office. #dementiaRon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Link? Because the only thing I found that lends support to your claim is a YouGov online poll. But the conclusion was not a super majority believed Russia tampered vote tallies, but rather 55% believed it was either probably (33%) or definitely (22%) true.

Polls show that a higher percentage of Republicans believe the election was “stolen” from Trump.

Two links were provided upthread to The Economist/YouGov poll.  One from March 2018, the other from Nov 2018, with fairly stable results.  Not sure which time stamp you are citing, cause you don't specify. But surprised that you are asking for a link after two were provided upthread.

I am willing to parse out probably true from definitely true if you really want.

Using the Nov numbers it's 31%.  Which is an oddly similar number to one that I see get thrown around all the time here.

If you don't trust the methodology of this poll conducted for The Economist, I am willing to consider the results of others using different methods with a similar stem.  Would have been interesting to have some of these questions as polls ca. 2018 on this board. 

Screenshot-2021-07-11-182246.jpg

7 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

And just comparing these two claims without context is lazy bothsideser bullshit.

Context is a funny thing indeed. Laziness as well. 

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Anastasis is a dishonest actor when it comes to Trump and Russia. He’s incapable of rational debate (or thought) when it comes to that subject. It’s a waste of time to try to engage him. 

6 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not really. My read is that he’s a Trump supporter but the kind who will lie to pollsters about who he supports because he’s embarrassed to admit it. Then he’d go and vote for Trump. He’ll toss out a few casual criticisms here and there to cover his tracks but at the end of the day he’s a Trumpkin.

Yes, yes, yes.  I know.  Bothsides, traitor to the republic, trumpkin, pathological liar.  All shit I got called for 3+ years when I pointed out the uncritical accommodation of right out nonsense by wide range of posters here.  It's all the same posters that react so viscerally when the nonsense that was centipeded around this place and more broadly is pointed out today.

Shit, Russian hacking voting machines is relatively fringe in the grand scheme, esp on this board. Although I do remember the exchanges here when Stein was running up her lawsuits. That was back when the really opportunistic early stage grifters were making hay. Later Brick, WTB, etc. were more than happy to uncritically shut down their brains when they found some reporting to prop up fanciful beliefs about Trump and Cohen coordinating Russian hacking operation during international travels to Prague etc. Me mocking the broad dip shittery here about cell phone pings from towers in Prague was met with "BothSides!" and "The Dossier is the Bible", "Nothing has been disproven!". But they want to lecture about dishonest actors. LOL at any one trusting WTB's "read" on any other poster. Yet other posters get butthurt when they get reminded about crazy conspiracy theories involving servers. And this doesn't scratch the surface of some of the really crazy shit that was peddled here with nary a word of opposition. A further significant amount of name calling came as result of me mocking dipshits here that couldn't connect very easy dots related to the DNC funding a British spook to collect disinformation from Russians and inject it into the American political dialogue and legal system. Really one of the keys points of origin of all this brain damage, and the very same posters clung onto it until the bitter end. 

We did this shit for 3+ years here, and some people just want to act like it never happened, not here nor more generally. Just be honest with yourselves guys. Most of it is all memorialized as posts on this board after the transition.   

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 3

45 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Later Brick, WTB, etc. were more than happy to uncritically shut down their brains when they found some reporting to prop up fanciful beliefs about Trump and Cohen coordinating Russian hacking operation during international travels to Prague etc.

Quote it, dipshit. You’ve got nothing. You have repeatedly harped on a single one-line wisecrack I made as if it even remotely reflected my actual views. Which reveals that you either lack any sense of humor or are as disingenuous as we all suspect. And you do this repeatedly to service your bullshit narrative that you’re some kind of hero for pointing out that, although Russia spreads divisive propaganda and hacked voter rolls and worked to actively tilt the 2016 election  in Trump’s favor, they aren’t really any threat to America because they didn’t hack voting machines. It’s propaganda bullshit.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Ron DeSantis just sincerely tried to talk Donald fucking Trump out of a fundraising and self-promotion event in his state over a trivial thing like the gruesome and unexpected deaths of 150+ condominiums dwellers. 

I mean. If this isn’t a simulation, I’m not sure I could imagine one better. Worse?

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Quote it, dipshit. You’ve got nothing. You have repeatedly harped on a single one-line wisecrack I made as if it even remotely reflected my actual views.

Articulate your actual views then, post hoc as it may be. What I have to go on is a quip about "bothsides" when I articulated a position in real time that Cohen to Prague never happened. Seems relevant when you are rolling out once again a lazy "bothsides" quip in this context. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Articulate your actual views then, post hoc as it may be. What I have to go on is a quip about "bothsides" when I articulated a position in real time that Cohen to Prague never happened. Seems relevant when you are rolling out once again a lazy "bothsides" quip in this context. 

I don’t recall having a strong view on Cohen and Prague one way or the other. That whole thing was a sideshow. But you were too caught up in defending Russia back then to catch nuance.

And by the way, the study I cited was from June 2018. See page 163. I haven’t wandered upthread to find the study you cited, but the one November 2018 YouGov study I found didn’t ask that question. If your March and November numbers are accurately reported, something odd is going on (67% in March down to 55% in June and back up to 67% in November) and it makes me question the methodology. 

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I don’t recall having a strong view on Cohen and Prague one way or the other. That whole thing was a sideshow. 

We did the Prague thing at least twice here. Would have been nice to see this articulated contemporary to one of those discussions. No time for that of course, but always time for bothsides quips I guess. 

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

And by the way, the study I cited was from June 2018. See page 163. I haven’t wandered upthread to find the study you cited, but the one November 2018 YouGov study I found didn’t ask that question. If your March and November numbers are accurately reported, something odd is going on (67% in March down to 55% in June and back up to 67% in November) and it makes me question the methodology. 

That level of move doesn't really raise red flags with me on the methodology. Happy to consider other polls that ask similar stems though. We can navel gaze parsing the definitely vs. probably and the methodology, but it is quite fanciful to act like it was a non consequential portion of the population that didn't feel that the legitimacy of the 2016 election was in question. 

28 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That level of move doesn't really raise red flags with me on the methodology. Happy to consider other polls that ask similar stems though. We can navel gaze parsing the definitely vs. probably and the methodology, but it is quite fanciful to act like it was a non consequential portion of the population that didn't feel that the legitimacy of the 2016 election was in question. 

You’re still comparing apples to oranges. One is a reasonable inference during a time with limited evidence and that turned out not to be far from the truth at all. The other is a clearly false belief contrary to mountains of evidence. That one group largely believed the former does not at all demonstrate that they have the same level of credulity compared to a group that largely believes the latter. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:
These stupid fucks. 
3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

desantis just became trump enemy #1 !

What @tx 3 putt said - slap it on a t-shirt, because DeSantis is now Trump enemy #1.

Trump is so fucking thin-skinned and paranoid, he's going to look at everything DeSantis does as some kind of move to undermine Trump.

20 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

One is a reasonable inference during a time with limited evidence and that turned out not to be far from the truth at all.

You actually remember the charges leveled here, right? Gazprom brokerage, campaign operatives organizing and funding hacking activities, Sessions colluding with Russia, pee pee tape leverage, Flynn wearing a wire, Oleg Deripaska, Russia hacking voting machines, etc. ad infinitum. I can't even capture all the nonsense at this point, although at one point in early 2017 I kept a running tally until it became overwhelming.  After 3+ years, we were left with arm wrestling and jerk off memes on the internet and dumping the actual email coms of the DNC awith no conclusive evidence of the grand conspiracy waded into by this board, per Mueller.  A few short months after that we had the curtain pulled back on the political machinations involving foreign spooks paid by political organization to craft the narrative ("Not in my purview", lol). Reasonable inference and all. 

Edited by Anastasis

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You actually remember the charges leveled here, right? Gazprom brokerage, campaign operatives organizing and funding hacking activities, Sessions colluding with Russia, pee pee tape leverage, Flynn wearing a wire, Oleg Deripaska, Russia hacking voting machines, etc. ad infinitum.

That’s a pretty good list of “Crazy shit not at all covered by the survey data Anastasis relies on.” 

Edited by BrickHorn

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Even better question is what ever happened to that fucking creep RayDog. That dude got way to much leash around this place, and this sub in particular, cause he aligned with liberal perspective. 

Arggklkkkhgfthj!!!!

we all are, were or are/were hardcore Republicans.  Why won’t you understand that.??!??!!’  This board is center-right1!11!!!!!

• Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You actually remember the charges leveled here, right? Gazprom brokerage, campaign operatives organizing and funding hacking activities, Sessions colluding with Russia, pee pee tape leverage, Flynn wearing a wire, Oleg Deripaska, Russia hacking voting machines, etc. ad infinitum. I can't even capture all the nonsense at this point, although at one point in early 2017 I kept a running tally until it became overwhelming.  After 3+ years, we were left with arm wrestling and jerk off memes on the internet and dumping the actual email coms of the DNC awith no conclusive evidence of the grand conspiracy waded into by this board, per Mueller.  A few short months after that we had the curtain pulled back on the political machinations involving foreign spooks paid by political organization to craft the narrative ("Not in my purview", lol). Reasonable inference and all. 

Whatever happened with that mysterious 13% gazprom stock?

24 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Even better question is what ever happened to that fucking creep RayDog. That dude got way to much leash around this place, and this sub in particular, cause he aligned with liberal perspective. 

I'm admittedly new to the cloak room (normally wouldn't be caught dead discussing politics, but was truly appalled by one half of the aisle undeniably and unequivocally completing its transformation into a cult post Nov 3), so I didn't know RayDog's politics, but I did my part and called out that pedophile literally every time I saw him post.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

After 3+ years, we were left with

... Mueller testifying under oath that in addition to more than half a dozen of his campaign staff and presidential administration staff either being convicted or pleading guilty in an investigation focused on a foreign authoritarian government subverting America's democratic institutions- the very thing we promoted to the rest of the world as the Shining City On The Hill for decades-

that the President Of The United States failed a take home, open book test with the help of his lawyers when questioned on that very subject matter. 

Touche', Anastasis

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm admittedly new to the cloak room (normally wouldn't be caught dead discussing politics, but was truly appalled by one half of the aisle undeniably and unequivocally completing its transformation into a cult post Nov 3), so I didn't know RayDog's politics, but I did my part and called out that pedophile literally every time I saw him post.

We find another topic on which we agree. 

46 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I could see misrember but did @RayDog post much in CR? He certainly pimped his fringe science in DT and nerdz (and equivalent on prior boards) but I don't recall much of a CR presence.

Edited by Serak The Preparer