The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

I think there might be a thread somewhere, but I can't find it.  I saw the trailer for "Civil War" last night when I went to see Ghostbusters.  Um, how supremely irresponsible is this?  Do they not understand how many dipshits this is going to further radicalize?  Unless there is some obvious plot dynamic wherein the right wing morons that start this "civil war" are mercilessly slaughtered, I'm not sure how hollywood thought this was a good idea.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think there might be a thread somewhere, but I can't find it.  I saw the trailer for "Civil War" last night when I went to see Ghostbusters.  Um, how supremely irresponsible is this?  Do they not understand how many dipshits this is going to further radicalize?  Unless there is some obvious plot dynamic wherein the right wing morons that start this "civil war" are mercilessly slaughtered, I'm not sure how hollywood thought this was a good idea.

I wouldn't worry about it. Garland is a great filmmaker. I suspect it does the opposite of glorifying anything (other than war journalists)

2 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

I wouldn't worry about it. Garland is a great filmmaker. I suspect it does the opposite of glorifying anything (other than war journalists)

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yea from what I've read the plot is several states - including California and Texas - revolt and unite to topple a fascist regime led by Nick Offerman as POTUS

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, VivaNaranja said:

Yea from what I've read the plot is several states - including California and Texas - revolt and unite to topple a fascist regime led by Nick Offerman as POTUS

Come on! How am I supposed to suspend my disbelieve while watching this?

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Huh.  I had you pegged as someone who has to believe we are magic.

MV5BNGQ5OGUyMWEtZjAxNC00ZjdiLWE2YjQtZDU4

I've not considered pegging, but I would consider adding it to the menu for 70s era ONJ

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

Would be interested to see the age breakdown of that church membership. Specifically backing out the olds. 

There's been a whole lot written/discussed on this - institutional churches are introspective about it (and they have to be, it's an existential crisis for them).  There's a variety of factors (like any large trend, it's almost never a single thing).  One of them is the fracturing of our society in general into being more individualistic, less community-oriented: churches and attending church is very much a "communal" activity.  Another, particularly when it comes to young people, is what many folks would recognize as "Christianity's branding problem."  A faith that purports to be about the gospel, forgiveness, loving your fellow man, is used as a cudgel to beat up the most vulnerable/marginalized, in direct contradiction of the very tenets it is supposedly based upon.  Young people see that hypocrisy and cruelty, and want nothing to do with it.

For 25 years, my wife's ministry has been to those people, a group given names like "nones and dones," or "spiritual, but not religious."  It is the fastest-growing "religious" group in this country.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Let’s see what Trump’s company is worth on the stock market when most of the shares, including his,  are tradeable. I’m unsure there has ever been a company having this type of valuation with so few customers/users and such low revenue.  It lost $49mm on $3mm revenue. That itself isn’t unheard of with startups but those startups are not valued at $9b on the public market.

my assumption is that this is some combination of GameStop/short squeeze and relatively few shares available for trading. But we’ll see. Regardless trump can’t sell today and I can’t imagine anyone letting him borrow much on his stake.

I tried to short it but there aren't enough shares on CS.  haha

3 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

Would be interested to see the age breakdown of that church membership. Specifically backing out the olds. 

A lot of churches livestream no you can check out the ones in your area and granted it’s anecdotal, but telling.  I look at the Baptist churches in our part of Austin and their attendance seems to be down since COVID and it’s a lot of white hairs.  I check the Presbyterians and some of the others in that vein and they are a mix with a lot of younger folks, and they seem more packed.

20 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

It’s just good old free market capitalism at work.  Capitalists are really only responsible for consolidating and increasing capital.  It only seems irresponsible if you care about things other than money. 

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

There's a variety of factors (like any large trend, it's almost never a single thing

Speaking of, I think I may have come across a common denominator.  I've been trying to figure out how seemingly "smart" people in my life can still fall for this charlatan or at least support him.  These people I would call "simple" and I don't mean that in a derogatory way.  As Tolkien said, "it is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life." 

HOWEVER, with that comes the trait of being incurious.  These people don't care to look beyond their bubble of family and their specific life experiences.  They have a lack of curiosity about the way other people live and the way society functions together.  

This also explains why they are so easily persuaded about things they haven't given real consideration to before and also why so many of them tend to be religious.

Lack of curiosity.  That's the common denominator among them all.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Dog said:

LOL

Gonzagastan.

The irony of this elected rep not taking the L is so on brand. Gonzaga, the university founded by a Jesuit priest who wanted to "minister" to indigenous peoples in the area (vicinity of what is now Spokane, WA). How the past and the present are so tragically humorous makes me long for a modern day playwright with the gift to display this folly and hubris because otherwise we would weep. From one white "savior" of the past all the way to the present's Mad Matt, we are the stupidest humans when it comes to admitting that what we don't know about each other is the first step towards a peaceful existence.

Edit: @Biff Tannenput it much more succinctly; well done.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Speaking of, I think I may have come across a common denominator.  I've been trying to figure out how seemingly "smart" people in my life can still fall for this charlatan or at least support him.  These people I would call "simple" and I don't mean that in a derogatory way.  As Tolkien said, "it is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life." 

HOWEVER, with that comes the trait of being incurious.  These people don't care to look beyond their bubble of family and their specific life experiences.  They have a lack of curiosity about the way other people live and the way society functions together.  

This also explains why they are so easily persuaded about things they haven't given real consideration to before and also why so many of them tend to be religious.

sounds like you're about to write a humorous yet touching comedy about a football coach as a fish out of water in england.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

Every day I wish more and more Covid was actually a Democratic invention meant to take out Republicans.

Remember - Dems steal elections, but didn’t real 2016. They also manufactured COVID to destroy Trump, but didn’t seem to kill him with it 

• Hook 'Em 1

And on the Covid thing, had trump just not trumped SO HARD on covid response, he would have ejaculate danced to YMCA to a second term. Any and everything coulda just been pinned on covid in 2020 and a very simple/modest head nod to “we’re working together bc we’re all in this together”…. Instead he lost to an old eff basement dweller. Dude was essentially gifted a war in an election year and said hold my beer. 

• Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The irony of this elected rep not taking the L is so on brand. Gonzaga, the university founded by a Jesuit priest who wanted to "minister" to indigenous peoples in the area (vicinity of what is now Spokane, WA). How the past and the present are so tragically humorous makes me long for a modern day playwright with the gift to display this folly and hubris because otherwise we would weep. From one white "savior" of the past all the way to the present's Mad Matt, we are the stupidest humans when it comes to admitting that what we don't know about each other is the first step towards a peaceful existence.

Edit: @Biff Tannenput it much more succinctly; well done.

NEVER admit a mistake or apologize for anything. Trump got that from Roy Cohn. And here we are

also *buses

• Hook 'Em 3

BTW for those who don't follow soccer you'll be interested to learn that Brazil and Mexico will be playing a friendly at Kyle Field in June. 

Good chance we get our esteemed Texas politicians and aggy up in arms over that...

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

sounds like you're about to write a humorous yet touching comedy about a football coach as a fish out of water in england.

If it involves a busty and curvy blonde owner, I am DOWN

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

They have something shitty going on in their lives and they need somebody to blame or hate.

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Those who buy into dumbshit conspiracy theories again, have something shitty in their lives, but also get a dopamine hit from believing they are in on a secret and feel like their lives have meaning or they are in a movie where they are the hero. Cult leaders use that to their advantage as well.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They have something shitty going on in their lives and they need somebody to blame or hate.

Those who buy into dumbshit conspiracy theories again, have something shitty in their lives, but also get a dopamine hit from believing they are in on a secret and feel like their lives have meaning or they are in a movie where they are the hero. Cult leaders use that to their advantage as well.

And yet the people I’m referring to in my personal life are top 5%, if not top 1% in terms of wealth and standing in this country. It’s mind blowing. 

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

And yet the people I’m referring to in my personal life are top 5%, if not top 1% in terms of wealth and standing in this country. It’s mind blowing. 

Doesn’t have to be a real grievance - Fox News’s business model is built around making people angry over perceived grievances that don’t really matter in the general scheme of things.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Have nowhere else to put this. I was Opening Day in Arlington tonight. Left a little early and got in the car just as they had the 7th inning stretch on the radio. It was the worst rendition of “Proud to be American” I’ve ever heard. Wow. The fact that they play that song there is grotesque too. Try and find a recording of it because it was just terrible.

Also, Hot Wheels was there. I booed him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

29 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wealth hardly equates to happiness.  You can have all the money in the world and be just as, if not more so, miserable as someone broke as a joke.  In my experience, limited as that may be, often times wealthy people have an even larger disaster of a personal life than ordinary folks.  To me, a fulfilling life certainly doesn't mean being destitute, but if your entire world is built upon wealth and its acquisition, you might as well be on the road to nowhere.  A lot of times, people just wind up having stuff (code for crap they don't need) and the constant consumption of stuff; in some sort of search to find what is missing (which won't be found this way at all). 

I just can't imagine my entire worldview being transactional and remotely fulfilling, and perhaps for people caught up in this cycle, that's what it's constantly like.  My guess is it leaves many of them hollow.  

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

To me, a fulfilling life certainly doesn't mean being destitute, but if your entire world is built upon wealth and its acquisition, you might as well be on the road to nowhere. 

Absolutely agree.  This is where capitalism has failed us.  Instilling people with the idea that never ending growth and wealth is the "goal".  There is never enough.  You will never be happy if you don't keep getting MOAR.  In reality, sustainability should be the goal.  But alas.

• Hook 'Em 2