The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

Dan Patrick was asked by Senate Democrats to remove Confederate statues around Capitol and he responded with “PArTy Of LiNcOlN!”

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick blames the presence of Confederate monuments at the Texas Capitol on Democrats after being urged to remove them

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/08/17/dan-patrick-texas-confederate-monuments/

9 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Dan Patrick was asked by Senate Democrats to remove Confederate statues around Capitol and he responded with “PArTy Of LiNcOlN!”

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick blames the presence of Confederate monuments at the Texas Capitol on Democrats after being urged to remove them

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/08/17/dan-patrick-texas-confederate-monuments/

He’s such an idiot. 

More of you need to be doling out Fuck You's in the CFB2020 thread.  That is exactly where you see loads of this 'think independently' bullshit.  Isn't it funny not a single person on this site admits to being ProTrump or QANON...but they sure as shit carry a lot of Trump's water because...reasons. 
Man I try every now and then but the stupidity on that thread is just too much. Just ends up getting under my skin and actually fucking up my mood, distracting from work, etc. I see you fighting the good fight there though.
  • Like 1

From the Bulwark 

. Laura Loomer

There are a lot well-meaning conservatives and Republicans who believe that the aftermath of Trump will be a period of intellectual ferment and so they are committed to staying engaged with these two overlapping movements in order to be part of the reform, or tend to the green shoots, or whatever.

We talked about this notion last week.

There are a couple problems with this view of the world. The biggest one is the voters.

Because if Republican voters want one thing, then all of the position papers and conferences coming out of Conservatism Inc. aren't going to convince them to choose another thing.

Which brings us to Laura Loomer. She won the Republican primary for Florida-21 last night. Not in spite of being a crazy, but because she is a crazy.

This is what Republican voters want.

A few more data points:
  • Six QAnon believers have won Republican primaries this cycle.
  • One of them, Marjorie Taylor Greene, has been warmly embraced by both Republican House leadership and President Trump.
  • There's Donald Trump's victory in 2016 over a bevy of actual conservatives, including Ted Cruz, Rick Santorum, Carly Fiorina, Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, Bobby Jindal, Scott Walker, Mike Huckabee, and Rick Perry.
  • There's this little nugget of Republican primary preferences for 2024, where Donald Trump Jr. was in second place and polling at 17 percent. Which is—let's just be honest here—bonkers unless you view the party as a cult.
In fairness, this is not all Republican voters. But it's enough.
  • Less than half of Republicans believe that COVID-19 is a major threat to public health.
  • 63 percent of Republicans say that the extent of the coronavirus is exaggerated.
  • A quarter of the public thinks that the pandemic is the result of a planned conspiracy.
  • 40 percent of Republicans say COVID-19 is no more deadly than the flu.
  • 50 percent of Republicans say the COVID-19 death toll is an exaggeration.
  • 23 percent of Republicans say masks should be worn "rarely" or "never."
These are The People. And you're going to win a lot of primary races with a bloc of voters that size.

It is unclear to me what suite of policy options professional Republicans and conservatives could possibly offer these voters to compete with the psychic payoffs they get for voting for the Trumps and Loomers of the world.

Never forget: A political party is only as good as its voters will let it be.

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Which brings us to Laura Loomer. She won the Republican primary for Florida-21 last night. Not in spite of being a crazy, but because she is a crazy.

This is what Republican voters want.

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Never forget: A political party is only as good as its voters will let it be.

This.  The GOP is its base.  That's it.  That's what they are.  The base isn't an "outlier," or an "anomaly" -- it defines the party.  It's the party of batshittery, insanity, and racial hatred (check out Loomer's loud-and-proud statements on muslims, for example).  Loomer and Qanon aren't bugs within the party -- they are features OF the party.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I might as well have thrown up the Brisket signal.

Sorry, that's a curvy brunette serving up one or more of the following with a welcoming smile: good barbecue, gumbo, etouffee, or cheese enchiladas.

By all means, toss up that signal, though.

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Ngl, I’m freakishly curious to see how these Qanon people operate when they’re in Congress, you know, writing our laws that govern society. 

I'd be more curious if they were in a petri dish and I could just Lysol and then kill it with fire if it got out of hand.  But I'm not curious how they'll do running a part of the world I live in.  

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult