The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

10 hours ago, David Dennison said:

They are bad people. Period.

I never know what to trust on twitter, so here is the enrolled version.   It definitely says that, but I can’t figure out what the punishment is

SECTION 2.11.  Section 64.009, Election Code, is amended by 
  adding Subsections (e), (f), and (g) to read as follows:
         (e)  A person who assists at least three voters voting under 
  this section at the same time by providing the voters with 
  transportation to the polling place must complete and sign a form 
  that:
               (1)  requires the person to affirm that the voters are 
  physically unable to enter the polling place without personal 
  assistance or likelihood of injuring their health; and
               (2)  contains the following information:
                     (A)  the person's name and address; and
                     (B)  whether the person is providing assistance to 
  the voters solely under this section or under both this section and 
  Subchapter B.
         (f)  Subsection (e) does not apply to a person if the person 
  is a family member of all voters that the person provides with 
  transportation to the polling place. For purposes of this 
  subsection, "family member" has the meaning assigned by Section 
  33.057(a).
         (g)  The secretary of state shall prescribe the form 
  described by Subsection (e).

5 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I never know what to trust on twitter, so here is the enrolled version.   It definitely says that, but I can’t figure out what the punishment is

that:
               (1)  requires the person to affirm that the voters are 
  physically unable to enter the polling place without personal 
  assistance or likelihood of injuring their health; and
               (2)  contains the following information:
                     (A)  the person's name and address; and
                     (B)  whether the person is providing assistance to 
  the voters solely under this section or under both this section and 
  Subchapter B.
         (f)  Subsection (e) does not apply to a person if the person 
  is a family member of all voters that the person provides with 
  transportation to the polling place. For purposes of this 
  subsection, "family member" has the meaning assigned by Section 
  33.057(a).
         (g)  The secretary of state shall prescribe the form 
  described by Subsection (e).

So if the punishment is a slap on the wrist, the law is okay?  it's okay to make it illegal to drive people to the polling place?  Clearly with the intention of stopping the poors or city people who are less likely to own their own cars from getting to the polls.  Notice there's a nice exception for the trump base of old people getting rides.

Edit to add: and a simple google search shows the proposal is to make this a class A misdemeanor--punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $4000.

Edited by lemonlime

12 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

So if the punishment is a slap on the wrist, the law is okay?  it's okay to make it illegal to drive people to the polling place?  Clearly with the intention of stopping the poors or city people who are less likely to own their own cars from getting to the polls.  Notice there's a nice exception for the trump base of old people getting rides.

Edit to add: and a simple google search shows the proposal is to make this a class A misdemeanor--punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $4000.

I love this board.  

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 10:31 AM, Grandioso said:

Given the GOP's awesome ideas, philosophical standing, and integrity, I can't figure out why they are so afraid of high turnout and more voters.

The shenanigans in Texas with driving people to the voting booth is a good way to hasten the eventual flip along.

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

i always think it's a little off-putting to hear people near me being loud in another language, until i realize how i probably sound when i'm in another country speaking english in a loud, annoying manner.  so i'm assuming we're gonna make all tourists learn english before they visit now?

40 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm sure they can go deeper.

True, it won't be long before Republican candidates start selling campaign shirts that say "Prepare Your Anus!"

The next Faith and Freedom Coalition conference will open to Lil Jon's Skeet Skeet Skeet. Mike Pence will begin his speech with "face down, ass up, that's the way I like to fuck."

It's like the Republican party has morphed into a dada art project.

I could not believe this is real. Holy fuck ... what is going on in the United States?  I wish there was a vaccine against stupidity. Of course, only the smart people would take it. 

A Texas state legislator unleashed a vilifying attack on a leading vaccine scientist Tuesday, accusing the doctor of “sorcery.”

It started with a report published Monday by the Texas Department of State Health Services that noted the state recorded a 14 percent rise in parents opting out of their children’s vaccinations. It was a new statistic that alarmed Peter Hotez, professor and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine.

“We have more than 64,000 kids not getting vaccinated in the state of Texas, and that doesn’t account for the over 300,000 home-schooled kids,” Hotez said during an interview with The Washington Post.

Hotez took his concerns about the report to Twitter. And then he received an unexpected, seething personal attack from the Republican state legislator, Rep. Jonathan Stickland.

“You are bought and paid for by the biggest special interest in politics,” Stickland wrote. “Do our state a favor and mind your own business. Parental rights mean more to us than your self enriching ‘science.’ 

In a tweeted response, Hotez, a pediatrician and vaccine scientist, noted to Stickland that he does not receive money from the vaccine industry; instead, his work focuses on “neglected disease vaccines for the world’s poorest people."

Stickland, who told The Post he is “not anti-vaccination," tweeted his response to Hotez.

“Make the case for your sorcery to consumers on your own dime,” the Republican, who represents an area of suburban Fort Worth, snapped back Tuesday. “Quit using the heavy hand of government to make your business profitable through mandates and immunity.”

(Hotez is not part of a for-profit business, either as a dean at the Baylor College of Medicine or as an endowed chair at the nonprofit Texas Children’s Hospital.)

Although Stickland backs “parental rights,” he is not discouraging vaccination, he told The Post on Wednesday. In fact, he said, “parents should take that responsibility seriously.”

“It comes down to whether the government should be mandating what’s right for us,” Strickland said. “I side with the individual.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/05/08/gop-legislator-attacks-top-vaccine-scientist-twitter-accusing-him-self-enrichment-sorcery/?utm_term=.d5ade3779539

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I could not believe this is real. Holy fuck ... what is going on in the United States?  I wish there was a vaccine against stupidity. Of course, only the smart people would take it. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/05/08/gop-legislator-attacks-top-vaccine-scientist-twitter-accusing-him-self-enrichment-sorcery/?utm_term=.d5ade3779539

somehow, america is about one more measles outbreak away from slipping into thunderdome-style post-apocalyptic mayhem. 

7 hours ago, F250 said:

True, it won't be long before Republican candidates start selling campaign shirts that say "Prepare Your Anus!"

The next Faith and Freedom Coalition conference will open to Lil Jon's Skeet Skeet Skeet. Mike Pence will begin his speech with "face down, ass up, that's the way I like to fuck."

It's like the Republican party has morphed into a dada art project.

They are just getting started.  They have just levered the accelerator to the floor, rolled down the windows, stuck their head out like a hound, and are just getting going with enjoying the ride.  In fact it is a dog at the wheel.  The only mystery is how far away is the Thelma/Louise cliff.

From Rep. Strickland's Wiki:

In 1988, Stickland's parents moved the family from his native Plano in Collin County to Hurst in Tarrant County, where he attended W. A. Porter Elementary School and Smithfield Middle School. He enrolled for his freshman year at Richland High School and then for two years at the newly opened Birdville High School of the Birdville Independent School District, both in North Richland Hills in Tarrant County. Stickland ended up leaving high school between his junior and senior year and obtained his G.E.D.

Stickland entered the community college, Tarrant County College, and also Parkland College, at which he studied sales and marketing.

One man graduated Magna Cum Laude from Yale, went on to get a PHD and then and MD from Cornell. He is dean for the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine, a Fellow in Disease and Poverty at the James A. Baker Institute at Rice University and a Health Policy Scholar at the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy. 

The other man found the Texas high school education curriculum too rigorous, got a GED and then studied marketing at a community college,  never graduated, and accuses the first man of "sorcery." 

Here are the projects that the first man is currently working on:

PROJECTS

Human Hookworm Vaccine
Development of a vaccine for the more than 400 million people suffering from hookworm infection in the world today. Vaccine currently in phase 1 clinical trials in Brazil and Gabon.

Schistosomiasis Vaccine
Schistosomiasis afflicts over 200 million people around the globe and is the deadliest disease among the seven most prevalent NTDs, killing an estimated 280,000 people annually. Our vaccine is entering phase 1 clinical trials.

Chagas Disease and Leishmaniasis Vaccine
A project for the selection and discovery of antigens appropriate to advance into the development process of new vaccines to combat Chagas disease (American trypanosomiasis) and leishmaniasis.

SARS Vaccine        
A new vaccine to prevent severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). A prototype RBD219 N1 vaccine is entering scale-up process development

Multivalent Anthelmintic Vaccine Discovery
A panhelmintic vaccine to prevent ascariasis (roundworm) and trichuris (whipworm), soil-transmitted helminths afflicting hundreds of millions of people around the world.

• Like 3

On 5/7/2019 at 8:51 AM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:
  that:

Some kid from Lake Travis is attending Texas A&M.  The kid wants to go home on the weekend to vote, because he forgot to update his registration to his college location.  And the kid has three slacker LT friends who want to vote but also did not change their registration.  So the original kid volunteers to drive all four home for the weekend, so that they can vote and spend the weekend at home.  This original kid has to know to complete a form at the polling place saying that his friends could not enter the polling place on their own, which I'm guessing that once they get to the polling place, is not true.

Let's say the kid does not complete the form, because he has no idea that such a thing would be illegal because why would someone make a law like that? The kid is now guilty of a crime punishable by a year in jail with a fine of $4000.  LT parents are going to be pissed.

Can you provide people with transportation not to the polling place but instead the KFC that is 300 ft from the polling place?  After some killer KFC, can everyone walk to the polling place and vote?  We don't have a lot of drive-in polling booths in Texas, at some point you have to park and walk.  What are those limits?

My car breaks down and I call an Uber to take my family of four to the polls.  The driver has no idea that we are going to vote.  He picks us up and drives us to a polling location.  Now the guy has to go fill out a form inside the polling location because he unknowingly dropped us off to vote, or go to jail.

A Cap Metro bus stops next to a polling location.  Five people get off to vote. The bus driver does not complete the form because he is just a bus driver.  Off to jail for that guy.

C'mon Ted ... don't mess with voting.  It's hard to believe that it would be legal to limit transportation if one of the outcomes might be that someone votes after you have provided the transportation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

The more I read about Rep. Strickland the more I think of Arthur C. Clarke's third law:  "To the sufficiently primitive, any advanced science is indistinguishable from magic."

D6ET9PbXsAAnBr9?format=jpg&name=900x900

Where I live doctors and other wizards are outlawed.

Constitutional law peeps - might this election law prohibition on taking people to the polls be a violation of freedom of assembly? I know reasonable restrictions are allowed but this seems absurd...

59 minutes ago, troph said:

Constitutional law peeps - might this election law prohibition on taking people to the polls be a violation of freedom of assembly? I know reasonable restrictions are allowed but this seems absurd...

don't know the specifics of the analysis that would be used, but there are a lot of first amendment curtailments when it comes to voting.  you see restrictions on distances from the polls signs have to be placed, where you can hand out fliers etc.  my guess is some test of the reasonableness or necessity of the restriction if it promotes the voting integrity.

1 hour ago, troph said:

Based on the Texas Supreme Court or the Kavanaugh/Gorsuch/Thomas SCOTUS?  Who the fuck knows.  They'll find an "election integrity" way to okay this.

2 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Based on the Texas Supreme Court or the Kavanaugh/Gorsuch/Thomas SCOTUS?  Who the fuck knows.  They'll find an "election integrity" way to okay this.

All these new voting disenfranchisement and abortion laws being passed that seem extremely unconstitutional seem to be specifically designed to test the SC or the surge in federal court appointments McConnell held back for years.

To the above two posts, that horrible bullshittery that went down in the Alabama Senate today is specifically designed to be brought to the Supreme Court to challenge Roe v. Wade.

The author of the bill gleefully and openly admits that’s the bills sole purpose.

Welcome to Gilead, bitches.

I used to think, growing up and in my younger adulthood, that Texas was not, regardless of confederate history, really like "the south", with all its issues.  All the UT scorn for SEC is along these same lines.  However, it turns out that we elect the same quality of state govt as GA, AL, FL, the whole lot.  So much for our difference.

• Like 5

I used to think, growing up and in my younger adulthood, that Texas was not, regardless of confederate history, really like "the south", with all its issues.  All the UT scorn for SEC is along these same lines.  However, it turns out that we elect the same quality of state govt as GA, AL, FL, the whole lot.  So much for our difference.

The main thing that separates Texas from the rest of the South is its large hispanic population and physical geography beyond the pine curtain. That has a big impact on everyday culture and vibes, but at the end of the day, "conservative Christian" white people dominate the political class so you get similar end results.

At some point the rest of us need to put up or shut up with the "but we're not the Feep South" argument.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

All these new voting disenfranchisement and abortion laws being passed that seem extremely unconstitutional seem to be specifically designed to test the SC or the surge in federal court appointments McConnell held back for years.

It’s also a good indicator that the GOP thinks they are on their last legs.  This shit is the actions of a party that thinks it’s losing power in the near future, and they are trying to rally their base one last time.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Comey 100% deflecting blame from how bad he fucked up.  Just sayin' 

Did you know Comey wrote a NYT op-Ed in September 2016 warning the American people about the Russian attack but the White House killed it? 

I know most will never forgive him for the errors of the Hillary investigation but it would have also been cool if Hillary was more careful with classified information in the emails.  

You know, so Comey wouldn’t have needed to investigate anything? 

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:36 AM, HenryJames said:

Not a shock, and I bet a huge majority of them only speak English.  It's quite a difference if you travel to many Euro/Asian countries where it is quite common to meet people that speak multiple languages versus so many parts of America.  It's also not just language but the breath of knowledge/interests/curiosity/etc as well.  I often feel like the very smartest Americans are right up there with anyone else in the world and why we still thrive as a nation, but that the average say college graduate American is generally stupider than the average college graduate in places I have visited in the past.

6 minutes ago, UTDD said:

Not a shock, and I bet a huge majority of them only speak English.  It's quite a difference if you travel to many Euro/Asian countries where it is quite common to meet people that speak multiple languages versus so many parts of America.  It's also not just language but the breath of knowledge/interests/curiosity/etc as well.  I often feel like the very smartest Americans are right up there with anyone else in the world and why we still thrive as a nation, but that the average say college graduate American is generally stupider than the average college graduate in places I have visited in the past.

I'm waiting for some directive that tourists need to fully learn English when they come here but Mary Jo and Walter can take their Carnival Cruise to Cozumel and don't have to learn Spanish because "everyone should speak American!" 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UTDD said:

i would like to see a poll of how many white republicans are offended when they're in a non-english-speaking country and the person they're speaking to doesn't speak english.

i can see that really pissing them off.  learn my language, foreigner!  anticipate me! 

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i would like to see a poll of how many white republicans are offended when they're in a non-english-speaking country and the person they're speaking to doesn't speak english.

i can see that really pissing them off.  learn my language, foreigner!  anticipate me! 

If they are in Germany, Austria, or parts of Switzerland, they aren’t offended, they are aroused.  

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult