The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

On 6/4/2019 at 7:07 AM, bolverk said:

Yeah, it's David Brooks so it's only a surface level analysis (he's only allowed a certain word count though) from a conservative perspective, but he's not wrong.

Yep.

"As Ronald Brownstein pointed out in The Atlantic, older Democrats prefer a more moderate candidate who they think can win. Younger Democrats prefer a more progressive candidate who they think can bring systemic change.

The generation gap is even more powerful when it comes to Republicans. To put it bluntly, young adults hate them."

18 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Yep.

"As Ronald Brownstein pointed out in The Atlantic, older Democrats prefer a more moderate candidate who they think can win. Younger Democrats prefer a more progressive candidate who they think can bring systemic change.

The generation gap is even more powerful when it comes to Republicans. To put it bluntly, young adults hate them."

My daughter -- a child of a dad who voted heavily Republican for years, and a mom who used to be probably a 50/50 voter....and whose paternal grandparents were longtime Republicans....said in the car just yesterday "I'll never vote for a Republican for anything as long as I live."  That's probably a long time...and things can change...but I wouldn't count on the GOP getting a  single vote from her for the next 20 years or so, at least.

People 15-25 aren't stupid.  They are actually quite tuned in to what's going on.  And they're watching the GOP shit itself, smear feces all over itself and everything and everyone around them, all while gleefully laughing at anyone who has the gall to say "but....you're shitting everywhere!".....They see exactly what's going on, and they'll never forget it.  The GOP will forever be the party of Trump and Trumpism to them, and trust me, for 75% of them, that is NOT a positive.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My daughter -- a child of a dad who voted heavily Republican for years, and a mom who used to be probably a 50/50 voter....and whose paternal grandparents were longtime Republicans....said in the car just yesterday "I'll never vote for a Republican for anything as long as I live."  That's probably a long time...and things can change...but I wouldn't count on the GOP getting a  single vote from her for the next 20 years or so, at least.

People 15-25 aren't stupid.  They are actually quite tuned in to what's going on.  And they're watching the GOP shit itself, smear feces all over itself and everything and everyone around them, all while gleefully laughing at anyone who has the gall to say "but....you're shitting everywhere!".....They see exactly what's going on, and they'll never forget it.  The GOP will forever be the party of Trump and Trumpism to them, and trust me, for 75% of them, that is NOT a positive.

Dems need a full court press to get first time POTUS voters registered en mass.   Kids that were 14-17 in 2016 could make a huge difference.  Especially in swing states. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Dems need a full court press to get first time POTUS voters registered en mass.   Kids that were 14-17 in 2016 could make a huge difference.  Especially in swing states. 

Well, from the limited sample size I see....they're motivated as HELL.  My daughter was pissed that she turned 18 after the mid-term elections, and sent in her voter registration card the day after she turned 18 (and she had to fight with the county three times to get them to issue one, because funny name and all that).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

March for Our Lives is the ones doing this.  God bless those kids who survived horrific school shootings and are getting their generation motivated to vote.  You want the 18-21 years to turn out in 2020?  Get 18-21 years to talk to them.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

March for Our Lives is the ones doing this.  God bless those kids who survived horrific school shootings and are getting their generation motivated to vote.  You want the 18-21 years to turn out in 2020?  Get 18-21 years to talk to them.  

Yep.  Had a show on last night that had a small segment at the end showing the March for our Lives kids speaking in DC.  My daughter had tears in her eyes -- those are her people, and they damned well connect with her.  And every time a prominent conservative comes out and attacks them, makes fun of them, calls them stupid kids, etc.....geez, it just steels her resolve.

To the point that I actually am trying to MODERATE her political reactions.  I'm having to talk with her about gray areas, about people who believe some bad things aren't always bad people, etc.  Her generation is fucking PISSED.  I can't blame them, but at the same time, "anger" is not a great foundation for a functioning republic.

Kids hate Republicans. 

FT_18.11.07_MidtermDemographics_younger-

and kids now vote. 

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2019/04/behind-2018-united-states-midterm-election-turnout.html

• Among 18- to 29-year-olds, voter turnout went from 20 percent in 2014 to 36 percent in 2018, the largest percentage point increase for any age group — a 79 percent jump.

On the one hand, fuck Trump.

On the other hand, he pushed the GOP down to the pits of hell, where it is only palatable as a party to old, white, non-college educated rural folk. Which is....not a growing demographic in America. 

Edited by Js1

Yep.

I’ve been to three concerts with my daughter - Harry Styles, Ariana Grande, and the 1975 - and the MFOL folks were at all three registering young voters.

She turns 18 in July 2020 and is counting down the days till she gets to vote.

She’s canvassed with me for Doug Jones and Beto. She has marched in the MFOL and the Women’s March.

My 20 year old son is apolitical now. He missed being able to vote in 2016 by 7 days. He would have voted for Trump. He’s not liberal - yet - but the last two years and Trump have turned him off politics.

Two years of Trump and two young voters in blood red Alabama that have been either soured on politics to the point they refuse to vote or have been pushed to the point of vowing to never voting for Republicans.

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

On the one hand, fuck Trump.

On the other hand, he pushed the GOP down to the pits of hell, where it is only palatable as a party to old, white, non-college educated rural folk. Which is....not a growing demographic in America. 

If the GOP were a consumer brand, it would be the worst strategy in the history of business.  They're doubling down on an already bad position.

29 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If the GOP were a consumer brand, it would be the worst strategy in the history of business.  They're doubling down on an already bad position.

They are the new coke strategy, except if coke told everyone "fuck you, you are drinking new coke," and then lobbied congress to make a law that we all had to chug three new cokes for breakfast.*

If you are a pepsi person, feel free to substitute pepsi clear for the above. 

On 6/4/2019 at 7:07 AM, bolverk said:

Yeah, it's David Brooks so it's only a surface level analysis (he's only allowed a certain word count though) from a conservative perspective, but he's not wrong.

Don't ever quote David Brooks approvingly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

May have already been posted in the DACA thread, but I need to scream about this here.

GOP Voters: LEARN THE LANGUAGE IF YOU COME HERE!!!!

Also GOP Voters:

Yet one of the conservative posters just this morning called liberals “unhinged.” 

I can only imagine how conservatives will describe this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Kids hate Republicans. 

FT_18.11.07_MidtermDemographics_younger-

and kids now vote. 

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2019/04/behind-2018-united-states-midterm-election-turnout.html

• Among 18- to 29-year-olds, voter turnout went from 20 percent in 2014 to 36 percent in 2018, the largest percentage point increase for any age group — a 79 percent jump.

My 19 year old son has no interest in voting. I got him registered and everything but somehow he didn't have time bother to vote. He is pretty apathetic about politics.

My 17 year old is interested in the topic but then puts a big emphasis on not wanting to share my views by default and thinks everyone his age with a political view is just repeating what they hear at home. Currently he claims to still be exploring political views and isn't settled on any particular one. He is really analytical and tends to overthink things. He should have some political views in another decade or so.

Jesus, what a stupid take.

Not sure what is more laughable - how blatantly wrong he is, or that a Confederate... I mean, Republican would try to criticize another group for how they act following defeat in a conflict.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yep.  Had a show on last night that had a small segment at the end showing the March for our Lives kids speaking in DC.  My daughter had tears in her eyes -- those are her people, and they damned well connect with her.  And every time a prominent conservative comes out and attacks them, makes fun of them, calls them stupid kids, etc.....geez, it just steels her resolve.
To the point that I actually am trying to MODERATE her political reactions.  I'm having to talk with her about gray areas, about people who believe some bad things aren't always bad people, etc.  Her generation is fucking PISSED.  I can't blame them, but at the same time, "anger" is not a great foundation for a functioning republic.

Anger is a gift. Play her some RATM.

Last night I was watching the news when they showed the few surviving American paratroopers being feted on the beaches of Normandy for liberating Europe. A modern-day German soldier came up to one of our vets and also thanked him for liberating Germany from the Nazis too. That's the sort of contrition and self-awareness the vast majority of today's Germans have that you'll rarely - if ever see - among our Southern cousins.

• Like 3

For the under 30 crowd the Republican brand is absolutely toxic. They better get rid of democracy right quick or they’re going the way of the whigs. 

It was not a favored party for those in our 40s when we were younger. The republican types will just become anastasis for a voting cycle or 2 and then rush back in with their support.

27 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Last night I was watching the news when they showed the few surviving American paratroopers being feted on the beaches of Normandy for liberating Europe. A modern-day German soldier came up to one of our vets and also thanked him for liberating Germany from the Nazis too. That's the sort of contrition and self-awareness the vast majority of today's Germans have that you'll rarely - if ever see - among our Southern cousins.

That occurred to me a few years ago too.  Immediately after WWII, you had hangings of the turds and everyone else saying "what the fuck were we thinking?"  While in the South, the only things I took away from 1800s history was it was about states rights and carpetbaggers.  That's the mindset 150 years after the war.   It's fucking crazy.  I couldn't tell you one thing about, say, the industrial revolution.  But by god, my public school was insistent I needed to learn smears about people from the north moving south.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Something tells me Mike doesn't see the irony in a southerner making this observation about a German.

Well, Mike is dumber than a box of rocks, so.....yeah.

The irony is that you're less likely to find an open and proud fucking Nazi in Germany than you are in a group of Mike Huckabee supporters.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I'm too afraid to check the scoreboard.  Are we dumber than Mississippi now?  I know we got dumber than Kansas and it was hard to accept.  We edged out Alabama.  But please don't tell me we're dumber than Mississippi.  

3 minutes ago, Chooky said:

I'm too afraid to check the scoreboard.  Are we dumber than Mississippi now?  I know we got dumber than Kansas and it was hard to accept.  We edged out Alabama.  But please don't tell me we're dumber than Mississippi.  

Well, the good news is that the volume of dumb across the board is so voluminous that there's no real way to quantify it.  So, we might be, we might not be.

But again -- the volume of dumb is now greater than the human ability to measure it.  So....yeah.

Don't just mash all of the dumb together.  We need isolated state lines of dumb.  I just need one state to point at and say "ha, you're obviously the dumbest."  Just one state to point at that's dumber.  I know we're dumb, but don't stand there and tell me that we suddenly got Mississippi type dumb.  You know, scratch off lottery ticket, 78 ounce soda, "Ted Nugent is a fancy talker" kind of dumb.  I won't hear it. 

7 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Don't just mash all of the dumb together.  We need isolated state lines of dumb.  I just need one state to point at and say "ha, you're obviously the dumbest."  Just one state to point at that's dumber.  I know we're dumb, but don't stand there and tell me that we suddenly got Mississippi type dumb.  You know, scratch off lottery ticket, 78 ounce soda, "Ted Nugent is a fancy talker" kind of dumb.  I won't hear it. 

Narrator: “But he did hear it...”

1 minute ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Oh Huckabee thank you for making it clear that Texas is at worst the 47th most stupid state after Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas.

Did your forget our dumbass neighbors to the east? 

Days and days of stories about the importance of alliances and the incalculable cost of human sacrifice in WWII. Take this time to solidify our alliances in the 21st c. and maybe head off any potential WWIII??

Nah. Shit on one of our most important allies and rub their face in 75 year old dog shit. MAGA.

• Like 1

Count this southerner as one who is glad the USA (not the north) won because it freed human beings from slavery but also wonders if we’d be better off now if the confederacy had “won” and been allowed to destroy themselves and been forced to go crawling back to the United States.

Like, completely devastated, starved, and humbled - so the stupid vein of “southern pride” that gets passed down to new generations would have been beaten out of a certain type of person.

I don’t think that alt-history scenario would have changed racism etc. - there are racists in the north and in states that didn’t have slaves, states that didn’t even exist back then - but it would definitely have killed the stupid reverence that gets paid to the confederacy.

14 hours ago, bolverk said:

I saw that. "You freed us too."  Powerful stuff. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 10:00 AM, Brisketexan said:

Well, from the limited sample size I see....they're motivated as HELL.  My daughter was pissed that she turned 18 after the mid-term elections, and sent in her voter registration card the day after she turned 18 (and she had to fight with the county three times to get them to issue one, because funny name and all that).

This sample size is limited to my street and next street over, but I can think of at least 10-12 couples that voted for the first time during the midterms. None of them would be popular on this board tho. All 34-42 yo.  No one could stomach the thought of Beto. VERY small sample size, but what I’ve seen. 

57 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

This sample size is limited to my street and next street over, but I can think of at least 10-12 couples that voted for the first time during the midterms. None of them would be popular on this board tho. All 34-42 yo.  No one could stomach the thought of Beto. VERY small sample size, but what I’ve seen. 

So on your street and the next, there were 20+ voters that had never voted before, but voted for Cruz? Yet, he received roughly 200k fewer votes than in 2012,while Beto received 900k more than the 2012 Democratic candidate. I’d say your sample size doesn’t mean much.

Edited by CO Horn

So on your street and the next, there were 20+ voters that had never voted before, but voted for Cruz? Yet, he received roughly 200k fewer votes than in 2012,while Beto received 900k more than the 2012 Democratic candidate. I’d say your sample size doesn’t mean much.
Or his neighbors were lying to him so they could end the conversation quickly.

"Yeah, yeah, fuck Beto. Welp.... guess we'll seeee ya later."
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tchookem said:

Or his neighbors were lying to him so they could end the conversation quickly.

"Yeah, yeah, fuck Beto. Welp.... guess we'll seeee ya later."

There was one neighbor that had a Beto sign. 

I’m not certain all were absolute first time voters, but I got the impression they weren’t every time voters. Just some of the questions on how and where. I’m certain they were worried about the momentum Beto had and knew they couldn’t just stay home and everything work out as usual in Texas.  

Im not doubting what Brisket is seeing, I think many are getting energized on #bothsides. 

When the Beto sign family put their house up for sale, some guy made a comment about getting the Democrats off the street. He’s an older guy though, not a first time voter I’d suspect. 

*Im in burbs with lots of aggy and and people that inherited early. 

Eta: I don’t discuss politics or religion. However it was brought up, it wasn’t by me. Further, I don’t do shit with my neighbors, it would have been something the wife made me attend. 

Edited by fattyflattie

If your suggestion is true, your street probably constituted The majority of new voters in that age cohort that supportrd Cruz. Like white voters with college degrees in South Carolina - not a significant piece of the pie.

Also lol at a previously non voting 34-42 year old woman coming off the sidelines because they can't stand Beto. Sounds like some husbands were lied to in order to keep the peace.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

There was one neighbor that had a Beto sign. 

I’m not certain all were absolute first time voters, but I got the impression they weren’t every time voters. Just some of the questions on how and where. I’m certain they were worried about the momentum Beto had and knew they couldn’t just stay home and everything work out as usual in Texas.  

Im not doubting what Brisket is seeing, I think many are getting energized on #bothsides. 

When the Beto sign family put their house up for sale, some guy made a comment about getting the Democrats off the street. He’s an older guy though, not a first time voter I’d suspect. 

*Im in burbs with lots of aggy and and people that inherited early. 

Eta: I don’t discuss politics or religion. However it was brought up, it wasn’t by me. Further, I don’t do shit with my neighbors, it would have been something the wife made me attend. 

Doesn’t surprise me in general, although the volume is probably a little exaggerated.  The Big Sort, where people now live around people that agree with them politically is pretty well understood and the topic of many books including ... The Big Sort. 

Both sides had huge GOTV efforts.  Its just not representative of the state.  New voters of that age were overwhelmingly pro Beto. 

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult