The movie you just watched

F250

On 1/17/2024 at 9:39 PM, Parliament said:

Fury.  I know the tank nerds bag in this movie for all its inaccuracies, and I understand that.  But the characters and acting make it a great movie.  Bernthal, Labouf and Pitt steal every scene they're in.

I could not stand this movie. Thought it was what would happen if a Soap Opera writer tried to make a war movie.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Seen spoken, heard, whatever - on a network production.

Shit - all the time. Fuck occasionally, Dick yeah. Cock rare. Cocksucker rarer. Motherfucker? Don't think so. Could be a brain fart.

Oh network tv. Technically not a violation unless someone complains I think. 

LOA: pretty good movie, but doesn't it begin with hero running off the road at a high speed with a motorcycle?

Okay, Ted (2012) turned out to be pretty funny. Should probably point out that the series is a Prequel of sorts, taking place while John is a teenager. Less structure. Throw in goofy parents and hot aunt. No Mila Kunis in her prime.

On 1/15/2024 at 12:34 AM, safe sex said:

Overwhelming. Important.

On 1/15/2024 at 1:18 AM, 4th&Five said:

I have tix to see it tomorrow afternoon. Weather permitting. 

On 1/15/2024 at 1:28 AM, safe sex said:

Like all of his films, it will feel very intellectualized at first, until a few hours later you realize that Jonathan Glazer had plunged his hand into your chest and gripped your heart tight from the very beginning. I can't stop thinking about it. It's also hilarious how his adaptation process seems to take less and less from its source material with each film he makes (not a spoiler). The first five or so minutes (hard to tell) almost made me feel like I was starting trip. Incredible sound design.

Pre-show felt like a Seinfeldian problem: was it okay to order popcorn during a movie like The Zone of Interest? We decided that it was fine. Didn't feel like anyone else in the theater gave it a second thought.

I've never thought about sound editing in a movie until this one. So much of the movie is about the background details - the sounds, the puffs of smoke from the train that passes by, etc. I don't think I've ever seen such a visceral movie that is so free of violence and gore.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/19/2024 at 10:39 PM, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Seen spoken, heard, whatever - on a network production.

Shit - all the time. Fuck occasionally, Dick yeah. Cock rare. Cocksucker rarer. Motherfucker? Don't think so. Could be a brain fart.

Are you talking about Paramount? I'm pretty sure Yellowstone and its spinoffs use "motherfucker" frequently.

Outlaw King on Netflix. 

You’ve seen this exact plot a dozen times before. Plucky, outnumbered Scots battle evil, numerically superior English. That’s the entire plot. But it’s well made and well acted and worth a couple hours of your time. Plus you get to see Florence Pugh’s boobs.

2 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Speaking of long, we watched the 1939 classic Gone with the Wind last night.   1939 also produced The Wizard of Oz.  Those flying monkeys can go straight to hell. 

1939 had a helluva run.

Just the fucking G's was brutal.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

So just finished the final episode of Rome (2005) (8.7/10 at IMDB). Haven't seen it since it premiered. What an amazing piece of historical fiction about the last days of the Roman Empire condensed into a few years. A strong friendship forms between two warriors who in many ways couldn't be more different. Great acting all around. Unforgettable characters include Julius Caesar, Mark Antony, Cleopatra and about twenty others. Epic.

The two men are Lucius Veronus, a by the book Roman commander and Titus Pullo, a brawling drunk, also in Caesar's army. Brings to life the daily life in ancient Rome. Very authentic realization. The story was not designed to go for more than two seasons, and the producers didn't sell out.

• Hook 'Em 5

American Hustle, Saturday. Odd that I recalled the movie being so good but remembering so little about it. Fantastic rewatch. Of course, there's the original for the great Texas joining the SEC sequence.

Quiz Girl, Sunday. Poor. Predictable. Lots of shouting supposed to heightened the comedy. Other than a scene Ferrel has with Akwafina backstage, not a genuine moment to be found. Sandra Oh is unrecognizable.

The last couple of weeks, I watched a couple of my favorite 90's movies I had not seen in awhile.

Se7en - I always loved this movie, as dark as it is.  It is the first movie I remember seeing and thinking, "Oh shit, you can do this in movies and make it entertaining?"  It still feels like it could be set today, which is kind of crazy since it was made almost 30 years ago.  Impressive to make something like that feel so timeless.  This time, what struck me was how incredible Gwyneth was.  She really has two scenes (other than when her head was in a box), but she is incredibly charming in the apartment scene and then devastating in the diner scene.  Outside of the occasional ski-related court case, she seems to be thriving, so good for her, but it would be awesome if she had a late career revival doing something interesting.

LA Confidential - I saw this was on Netflix, so I popped it on.  From when I saw it in 1997, it was always one of my favorite movies and it still rules.  Immaculately made across the board; acting, directing, writing, music, production design.  An incredible movie.  Honestly, I think the weakest part of the movie is Basinger and she is the one who won the Oscar.  Oscars can be weird.  It was up for Best Picture against Titanic, Full Monty and Good Will Hunting.  Great year.  Unfortunately, the Netflix transfer is kind of shit and I don't think it's big enough of a movie to get that fixed.  

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Stringer said:

LA Confidential - I saw this was on Netflix, so I popped it on.  From when I saw it in 1997, it was always one of my favorite movies and it still rules.  Immaculately made across the board; acting, directing, writing, music, production design.  An incredible movie.  Honestly, I think the weakest part of the movie is Basinger and she is the one who won the Oscar.  Oscars can be weird.  It was up for Best Picture against Titanic, Full Monty and Good Will Hunting.  Great year.  Unfortunately, the Netflix transfer is kind of shit and I don't think it's big enough of a movie to get that fixed.  

LA Confidential is a masterpiece and is in my top 5 forever. a complicated story with lots of important characters laid out so well it's easily followed, beautifully shot and scored, perfect sets and costumes, and then the stellar acting on top. it feels like a real place and time. the only thing i hate is learning what a creep Spacey is bc i absolutely loved him in this. boo! 

• Hook 'Em 1

Dumb Money is ok. Good cast. You could spend a worse 90 minutes, but it’s ultimately a forgettable movie that probably would’ve benefited from waiting more years to be made for more insight/hindsight.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Covri said:

Dumb Money is ok. Good cast. You could spend a worse 90 minutes, but it’s ultimately a forgettable movie that probably would’ve benefited from waiting more years to be made for more insight/hindsight.

This. The pacing and style sucked, and the movie made a great actor in Paul Dano extremely annoying. 

Pete Davidson plays himself and is pretty funny. 

Cohen’s giant pet hog is a metaphor right? 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, mchookem said:

LA Confidential is a masterpiece and is in my top 5 forever. a complicated story with lots of important characters laid out so well it's easily followed, beautifully shot and scored, perfect sets and costumes, and then the stellar acting on top. it feels like a real place and time. the only thing i hate is learning what a creep Spacey is bc i absolutely loved him in this. boo! 

This is probably the one movie that is a classic/iconic that I've been meaning to see for well over a decade but never had the opportunity arise to watch it. I need to rectify that.

15 hours ago, Stringer said:

I thought it was easily the best movie of that year. Titanic did exceed my minimal expectations, and, once that boat hits the iceberg, it's very good.

2 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Sicario. Streaming on Prime.

Damn that movie is intense. Love me some Roger Deakins.

I saw Sicario for the 1st time within the last 2-3 months.   Such an underrated movie.   And once you realize Kate isn't the main character....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Ferrari. Adam Driver, Penelope Cruz. Awful. No real story, just a few dramatic moments. Lead character never does anything except talk to other people - actually, that's pretty much all any character does. 

Absolutely nailed it in this review.  The best thing about this waste of time was the fact that it was seen on the first showing of the day which means it only cost the bargain matinee price.  The popcorn was fresh too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched The Creator on a flight. Not an ideal viewing environment but there weren’t many options. Another big budget sci-fi movie that’s kinda meh. Didn’t love or hate it.

Return flight I watched Blade Runner 2049 for a palate cleanser. Such a great flick. Luv is a worthy successor to Roy Batty.

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

The series with Benedict cumberbatch is pretty good.

Just watched the follow-up: Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows (2011).

I thought it was cool and fun and I enjoyed RDJrs Sherlock Holmes and the equal nemesis Prof. J Moriarty. 

Zone of Interest was horrifying. Just the mundanity of the evil was worse than showing it.

Definitely a capital “A” Art film, which I usually don’t respond to but this was very effective. The sounds and visuals in the background really tell the story and are horrific.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Creator, it's good enough to see once, but that's about it.  Most of the sci fi concepts were pretty good. Every time the police bots were shown, all I could see was our Roomba.  Story could have been better. 

Deadly Waters don't waste your time.  There is a creepy dialogue with Ray Liotta and the protagonist that was the highlight for me.