The movie you just watched

F250

Can’t Buy Me Love
CSB time. This movie was my first date. We were supposed to go to Busch Gardens for the day but it was raining so my Mom offered to drop us off at the theater.
It was the summer after my first year at a new middle school and she was the head cheerleader just like Cindy.
36 years later we are still friends and went to each others weddings.

• Hook 'Em 1

Past Lives (2023)

1) First five minutes:

a3dea9b5-6df3-47fb-84ac-a6a4e90a91d8?bas

2) Movie answers the question:  Are engineers and playwrites cool asians or asian nerds?  Or does it?"

3) Nobody stares at each other than long and hard without cracking up.

sddefault.jpg

4) No way Uber driver waits that long without saying "Hey, Mister Kim, let's get going."

5) Would have liked a little more life out of John Magaro - I like that actor.

6) I loved it, beautiful flick but in the end, the male lead was such a unique guy that it kind of hurt the "universality" of the film for me. But on the flip side, the film only made sense given his somewhat unique approach to the issue at hand.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:03 PM, HiggyBaby said:

Dragnet however….

Motherfucker, there’s no hating on Dragnet ‘round here. 

11 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Are we gonna pretend like Bosom Buddies never happened?

And you, motherfucker, just made the list! 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, RPM said:

Bonfire of the Vanities

Joe vs the Volcano

I saw both of these in the theaters. Found Joe almost completely laugh free and the whole initial sequence of him at his office under the florescent lights was just actively off-putting. The bit with the luggage salesman was about the only part that made me chuckle, and Abe Vigoda is a national treasure. 

I actually liked Bonfire, not having read the book at the time, and found it entertaining but not particularly memorable. I’ve since read the book a couple of times and I can understand why people were so underwhelmed by the movie version. 

Watched Finestkind...Paramount movie.

Had high hopes with a pretty solid cast.  Tommy Lee Jones, Ben Foster, Jenna Ortega.

It was ok...a little slow. Slogged on for the first hour.

Foster and Jones did good jobs, but the story was predictable.

Meh

Watched the horror movie Thanksgiving from last year. I was expecting a straight up horror film but when Gina Gershon popped up on screen I knew exactly what kind of movie it was going to be. I liked it better than those new crappy Halloween movies.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 Mighty Orphans.  True story from the day, gives Rusty Russell some love for coming up with the spread offense.  The epilogue at the end is worth watching for.  Stars Martin Sheen, Luke Wilson, Vanessa Shaw, with a bit of Robert Duvall and Ron White as the sheriff.  Worth the watch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

12 Mighty Orphans.  True story from the day, gives Rusty Russell some love for coming up with the spread offense.  The epilogue at the end is worth watching for.  Stars Martin Sheen, Luke Wilson, Vanessa Shaw, with a bit of Robert Duvall and Ron White as the sheriff.  Worth the watch.

I met the author of the book, Jim Dent, at Barnes & Noble and got an autographed copy.  The movie was enjoyable, the book was outstanding-hopefully Dent will get past his struggles and health issues because he is an excellent writer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I watched The Art of Self-Defense starring Jesse Eisenberg. It's like Fight Club if Michael Cera played Ed Norton's character and the movie was produced by Donald Glover.

It was odd yet entertaining.

The Zone of Interest-an interesting adaptation of what it must have been like to live next door to one of the deadliest Holocaust camps during WWII.  The film has won numerous awards which are well deserved and is up for several Oscars in the coming weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Triple Frontier.
Started off pretty well but I thought the ending was flat.

I've almost watched this movie before but it always seemed like it would be subpar. Your description confirms my suspicion.

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

I watched Hombre for the 10th time.  This film is great!

”well, now, what do you suppose hell is gonna look like?”

Great movie. This was the only movie I've seen that matched the imagery I had while reading the book.

Been watching Clint Eastwood movies on Sundance all day. I’m convinced Clint is the only person that believed Sondra Locke was remotely attractive or a decent actress. She drags down every movie she’s in.

Hell, I was pretty young when I concluded she must be an absolute freak in the sack, that’s the only explanation.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

There’s probably a thread but I did a search and didn’t see anything. (I really did) Who’s seen One Love? I tend to stay away from musician biopics as they tend to be sanitized hero worship. But Marley was a huge influence on me musically from the 70’s on, and I love all his stuff from his Rock Steady days until his death. The commercials almost seem Disneyesque, with him sitting around a campfire strumming a guitar singing to his kids. The man had a very rough life growing up, and was an unapologetic serial adulterer. Any of that type stuff covered or is it all glossed over?

On 2/5/2024 at 12:54 AM, Dutchrudder said:

Wonka (2023) - When I first saw this trailer my cynical self thought "Oh look, the origin story no one asked for!"  However, I was a surprised at how fun and enjoyable it was. It's very clearly setup to become a musical show in the future, but I didn't get that impression from the movie trailer. The songs are nearly all original, but they of course lean into the melody and themes from songs of the original.  It's a fun story, with lots of whimsical characters and many entertaining songs and dance numbers that keep the pace moving along. It's very different for the original though, this one is much more kid friendly, funny, upbeat and lighthearted, while in the original Gene Wilder was deranged, sarcastic and a bit sinister. I'm sure many will hate it because it re-characterizes the original Wonka, humanizes him, and "ruins their childhood" or something. 

The Gene Wilder Wonka was nightmare fuel to me as a kid. I'll take the funny, upbeat and lighthearted version.

On 2/17/2024 at 12:20 PM, pch said:

The Zone of Interest-an interesting adaptation of what it must have been like to live next door to one of the deadliest Holocaust camps during WWII.  The film has won numerous awards which are well deserved and is up for several Oscars in the coming weeks. 

This one is something else. I'm not sure how to describe it other than absolutely horrifying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Desperado (1995). I'm on a Danny Trejo kick.

Salma Hayek's sex scene was the highlight, and I know how we feel about her, right?

ISWYDT.

Posted (edited)

Drive-Away Dolls

The cowards at Universal/Focus forced Ethan Coen and his lesbian wife to "officially" change the title to the above, but they manage to get the original title, Drive-Away Dykes, front and center in the end.

I really liked it a lot, but it's definitely not for everyone and isn't perfect in it's own right either. Kind of a vibe between Raising Arizona and Burn After Reading with a little bit of Fargo thrown in. Pedro Pascal and Matt Damon both have fantastic cameo roles. It's a tight, like, 84 minutes so it's hard to give everyone a sufficient amount of time to shine, but there's still a lot to love in the movie.

Taking Joel's The Tragedy of Macbeth and Ethan/Tricia Cooke's Drive-Away Dykes is really illustrative of how the Coen's achieve their (usually superior) symbiotic films. I hope they make another film or two together, but if they just do solo (or husband/wife) movies from here on, I can't begrudge them too much.

(ETA: I get why Universal forced the change, obv, but as a dyke, I love the original title way more)

Edited by safe sex

43 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Drive-Away Dolls

The cowards at Universal/Focus forced Ethan Coen and his lesbian wife to "officially" change the title to the above, but they manage to get the original title, Drive-Away Dykes, front and center in the end.

I really liked it a lot, but it's definitely not for everyone and isn't perfect in it's own right either. Kind of a vibe between Raising Arizona and Burn After Reading with a little bit of Fargo thrown in. Pedro Pascal and Matt Damon both have fantastic cameo roles. It's a tight, like, 84 minutes so it's hard to give everyone a sufficient amount of time to shine, but there's still a lot to love in the movie.

Taking Joel's The Tragedy of Macbeth and Ethan/Tricia Cooke's Drive-Away Dykes is really illustrative of how the Coen's achieve their (usually superior) symbiotic films. I hope they make another film or two together, but if they just do solo (or husband/wife) movies from here on, I can't begrudge them too much.

(ETA: I get why Universal forced the change, obv, but as a dyke, I love the original title way more)

Excellent summation re: Raising Arizona and Burn After Reading.  We both came out of the theatre noting the Raising Arizona similarities.  Ethan and Joel have never disappointed and I hope they join forces again sometime as their style is instantly identifiable and enjoyable.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m on a mini Audrey Hepburn binge, watching Sabrina, Roman Holiday and Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Damn she was cute. 

One of the most beautiful women ever, IMO

• Like 1