my FINISHED basement flooded

Bogeywon

43 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

no idea where to put this so I did it here LOL fml... Sub pump backed up and the water backup failed. also I have a 2 1/2 week old baby now this! glad I keep my nice stuff all upstairs

This sucks, happened to us about 10 years ago. I stayed up all night using a shopvac to try and keep up, finally went to bed about 4AM realizing it was a losing battle. 

Luckily it was only about 1/2 an inch so I didn't have to rip up all the drywall just the baseboard and one spot on the wall. Luckily we sold that house about 2 months later. 

Live and learn.

40 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Whata sub pump

Something almost every house in the Midwest has in their basement. 

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

no idea where to put this so I did it here LOL fml... Sub pump backed up and the water backup failed. also I have a 2 1/2 week old baby now this! glad I keep my nice stuff all upstairs

so are you saying that a sump with a main and back up pump, generator and battery back up seem like a reasonable way to spend $7,000-$10,000?
I haven't spent that money, but I do have an alarm on my sump if the water rises beyond the point that the pump is supposed to kick in.

Congrats on the baby, I missed that announcement somewhere along the way

45 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

so are you saying that a sump with a main and back up pump, generator and battery back up seem like a reasonable way to spend $7,000-$10,000?
I haven't spent that money, but I do have an alarm on my sump if the water rises beyond the point that the pump is supposed to kick in.

Congrats on the baby, I missed that announcement somewhere along the way

I had a water backup and the alarm. none of them worked

this is often when people find their insurance does not have nearly the same coverage for a finished basement as it does for the rest of the house especially if you are storing nice things down there or if you have nice furniture in there....if you have a finished basement (or any basement) and especially if you are storing nice things down there check your insurance coverages ASAP

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

This sucks, happened to us about 10 years ago. I stayed up all night using a shopvac to try and keep up, finally went to bed about 4AM realizing it was a losing battle. 

Luckily it was only about 1/2 an inch so I didn't have to rip up all the drywall just the baseboard and one spot on the wall. Luckily we sold that house about 2 months later. 

Live and learn.

Hopefully you weren't a dick and disclosed the incident.

3 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway--

Why are basements a regional thing? Geology or culture? Building codes? And why the fuck would you have something that is likely to flood if the pump goes out, which all pumps eventually will?

Because of a little thing we call geology and topography ............

If you design them correctly they typically don't leak unless there's an underground spring you didn't detect during construction (very rare), a seasonable, water table, not handling the water run off from your roof (PRO TIP: gutters) or poor construction methods.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

What's a basement?

A place where tornadoes don't kill you, the temperature is always 55 degrees even if it's 100 outside, and you can drink beer without being in ear shot of your wife.  They also flood randomly and create massive headaches.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Because of a little thing we call geology and topography ............

If you design them correctly they typically don't leak unless there's an underground spring you didn't detect during construction (very rare), a seasonable, water table, not handling the water run off from your roof (PRO TIP: gutters) or poor construction methods.

Or in my case, the climate changes rapidly in a 5 year span and 100 year rains start happening several times per month during the summer, and the city sewer (which was built to handle less rain because that was all they had ever known) backs the fuck up into it.

We're going to install a second sump pit after the ground freezes (mid Decemberish) right next to the floor drain where the water came in, because I don't trust the city to do anything about it.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Or in my case, the climate changes rapidly in a 5 year span and 100 year rains start happening several times per month during the summer, and the city sewer (which was built to handle less rain because that was all they had ever known) backs the fuck up into it.

Well..... there's that too........

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well..... there's that too........

Our average annual rainfall is about 30" historically.  2 out of the last 3 years we've hit 60".  There were multiple 10" rains in a one month period leading up to the first (and worst) basement flood we had back in 2016.  I've lived in Iowa my entire life (I'm 33) and have never seen these conditions.  My 85 year old grandpa has never seen these conditions.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our average annual rainfall is about 30" historically.  2 out of the last 3 years we've hit 60".  There were multiple 10" rains in a one month period leading up to the first (and worst) basement flood we had back in 2016.  I've lived in Iowa my entire life (I'm 33) and have never seen these conditions.  My 85 year old grandpa has never seen these conditions.

Yeah, weather patterns seem to be fluctuating a skosch.  That's a shit load of rain.  We've been wetter than usual here in Central Va. as well.

When we lived in Tarrytown we had something I called a basement. Pier and beam house. Lot sloped back and whoever built it dig out under the back of the house. It was only accessible from the outside, but it was pretty awesome. Never hot. There was an ac unit - handler (to the house) in it and I ran the condensation line to a bucket. In the summer there was so much condensation ( old unit) I set a timer up to a pump and ran the water out to my garden through a drip system twice a day. When I first moved in the room would flood with an inch or two of water. We painted masonry sealer on it and that was the end of water coming in.

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

pussies.

When my buddy moved to Dallas and told me no one has basements, I was floored for that very reason.  I figured everyone in tornado alley had a basement for obvious reasons.  Seems like the cut off line is somewhere in Oklahoma (my cousin had a basement in Tulsa, so they're that far south).  Apparently has something to do with the soil/bedrock.

Another cousin built a house this past year (in Iowa) that had no basement.  They have a cement walled pantry in the middle of the house that doubles as a storm shelter.  I'm assuming most homes in Texas have this feature, or something like it?

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

When my buddy moved to Dallas and told me no one has basements, I was floored for that very reason.  I figured everyone in tornado alley had a basement for obvious reasons.  Seems like the cut off line is somewhere in Oklahoma (my cousin had a basement in Tulsa, so they're that far south).  Apparently has something to do with the soil/bedrock.

Another cousin built a house this past year (in Iowa) that had no basement.  They have a cement walled pantry in the middle of the house that doubles as a storm shelter.  I'm assuming most homes in Texas have this feature, or something like it?

No we have this 

tornado-bathtub-mattress.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Lots of basements in the Texas Panhandle.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

How do they put basements in trailer homes?

• Like 1

My childhood basement in Chicago got flooded constantly but it was due to a backed up main drain for the area. Had 5 feet of water in 1990.

That said, there are a few walk-out basements in the Hill Country including the areas around Lake Travis.

You won’t see them in Houston due to the water table.

There are a few in DFW(mainly western) as well. The townhomes in Southlake town center all have basements.

http://www.ntxbsmt.com/

The main reason why builders don’t build them in areas with suitable topography in Texas is because the liability is too great if they were to fail/leak. They would lose money. Now, custom homebuilders would do it but you’ll pay for it.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Grandparents in North Texas, not too far from the RR, had a "storm cellar", which was a big cement walled rectangular hole in the ground next to the house. It had a heavy ass, countered-balanced door that opened upward at ground level and could be triple bolted shut from the inside. (Similar to the opening scene in Twister).They kept candles and water down there. I'd work summers on their farm as a kid, and my first job of the summer would be to clean out all the spiders, scorpions, centipedes, and occasional snake out of that hot, claustrophobic hell hole, then shop vac the six inches or so water that would build up in there over the winter. We'd all end up in it a one or two times per summer on average when the tornado alarm would go off.

We were at our cabin for Christmas last year, and my daughter (no pics for pervs) had to come come early. We get a call from her that there is water on the floor of our basement water heater/furnace closet and adjacent laundry room.

After a little Q&A, I determined that the pressure valve had failed and was spraying water on the floor. Fortunately, the sump pump was getting most of it, but I told her to shut off the water supply to the water heater. Instead, she OPENED the valve to the sprinkler system, filling the lines which had been blown out (winterized) in the fall. 

When I got home, I replaced the valve and attached a hose that ran directly to the sump. I waited for spring to discover the fairly extensive damage to the sprinkler system  

The basement damage could have been much worse. Now, I try to cut off the inside water supply when we leave town. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
None of your business