Updated Bowl Projections per ESPN

Mdhorn

Careful, you can get chastised on here for cheering for a school because of its academic rigor for student-athletes.  Some "smart-kid" matchups include GA Tech v. Minnesota (Quick Lane Bowl), Cal v. TCU (Texas Bowl), Miami v. Wisconsin (Pinstripe), Florida (much as I hate their football team) v. Michigan (Outback), Clemson (kinda) v. Notre Dame (Cotton), Iowa State v. Washington State (Alamo), Pittsburgh v. Stanford (Sun),  Northwestern v. Utah (Holiday), Ohio State (as much as I hate Meyer and their fanbase) v. Washington (Rose), and of course us...Texas v. what is actually one of the few decent schools in the SEC-Georgia.  

Tell you one game that a man should just attend for shits n' giggles:  Arizona State v. Fresno State.  What a pair of student bodies with beautiful women who know how to party.  When I was going to grad school in California, literally every hot woman in our program was from Fresno State and the visit I made up there confirmed that it was awash in hotness.  It's like their Texas State University.  And they all were frisky and raging partiers.  And we all know about Arizona State's prowess in this department.  And the game is in Las Vegas.  If I was single, I'd get my ass to Vegas for that game before heading home for Christmas. 

And good on the Toledo kids for getting to go the Bahamas.  Farthest, and furthest, they'll ever get to get from Cleveland.  

There are some tough games on this slate because I hate both teams almost equally.  Is there a bowl game that sounds more like picking between two terrible life choices than Appalachian State v. Middle Tennessee State?  

Just now, BurntEyes said:

Baylor... BAYLOR.

I pull for them, Penn State to lose always. ALWAYS... Save maybe vs ousux. 

Ousux, Bama, Ohio State and Notre Dame on the always want them to lose train but not for the same reasons as Baylor.

So this playoff basically has be throwing on a Clemson hat. I'm not very proud or happy about it.

It's the Rape Bowl. They are both shitty.

12 minutes ago, coolsax said:

Can’t believe they didn’t put WVU in the Alamo bowl!   Holgo and the Pirate!  Should have been the match up.

WVU and Syracuse have some history, that's more important to the fans than Wazzou and going to SA. They paired them up in a bowl game in NYC a few years back, lol. WVU thought they'd gotten away from their old conference and NOPE! Then 'Cuse beat them in the bowl.

Should be entertaining, I would think that Holgo knows a bit about the Dino Babers offense, I think Babers was still at Bowling Green when the two teams met last so this will be the first time with these two HC's.

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

So 6-6 Ok State is 7.5 favorite over 8-4 No. 24 Mizzou? Lol, so mighty SEC SEC SEC gets em tanked but bettors don’t give a shit? Weird.

Well, OSU has played up and down football this year...and you just don't know who will show up.  If Mizzou will just flash some Horns and say "Hook'm" a couple of times, OSU can pull this W off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Careful, you can get chastised on here for cheering for a school because of its academic rigor for student-athletes.  Some "smart-kid" matchups include GA Tech v. Minnesota (Quick Lane Bowl), Cal v. TCU (Texas Bowl), Miami v. Wisconsin (Pinstripe), Florida (much as I hate their football team) v. Michigan (Outback), Clemson (kinda) v. Notre Dame (Cotton), Iowa State v. Washington State (Alamo), Pittsburgh v. Stanford (Sun),  Northwestern v. Utah (Holiday), Ohio State (as much as I hate Meyer and their fanbase) v. Washington (Rose), and of course us...Texas v. what is actually one of the few decent schools in the SEC-Georgia.  

Tell you one game that a man should just attend for shits n' giggles:  Arizona State v. Fresno State.  What a pair of student bodies with beautiful women who know how to party.  When I was going to grad school in California, literally every hot woman in our program was from Fresno State and the visit I made up there confirmed that it was awash in hotness.  It's like their Texas State University.  And they all were frisky and raging partiers.  And we all know about Arizona State's prowess in this department.  And the game is in Las Vegas.  If I was single, I'd get my ass to Vegas for that game before heading home for Christmas. 

And good on the Toledo kids for getting to go the Bahamas.  Farthest, and furthest, they'll ever get to get from Cleveland.  

There are some tough games on this slate because I hate both teams almost equally.  Is there a bowl game that sounds more like picking between two terrible life choices than Appalachian State v. Middle Tennessee State?  

Nothing wrong with the mountains of NC or MTSU. Murf'burr is practically a suburb of Nashville, the bachelerotte party capital of the world, so if you are talking about tagging some strange, you are well-positioned. You just need to learn how to cut one from the pack. And MTSU is not great, but I'd put it up there with Texas State or SFA or Sam. Might be even up there with Tech. 

8 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Baylor... BAYLOR.

I pull for them, Penn State to lose always. ALWAYS... Save maybe vs ousux. 

Ousux, Bama, Ohio State and Notre Dame on the always want them to lose train but not for the same reasons as Baylor.

So this playoff basically has be throwing on a Clemson hat. I'm not very proud or happy about it.

Welcome aboard the Big Blue Bandwagon, friend. 

Mizzou opened at -12.5. The fuck are y'all smoking.

Machinators link to SI still shows OSU by 7.5

ace5c2df57f5ff1c44577f03c0241324.jpg

That doesn’t seem right, nor does Mizzou by 12.5. I looked at ESPN and they have Mizzou by 4.5. That seems about right.

98b8cb7c180195bf3a332fca6515e282.jpg

I think because OU and Texas both made CFP and NY6, everyone else got bumped up which is why we’re all underdogs.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Machinators link to SI still shows OSU by 7.5

ace5c2df57f5ff1c44577f03c0241324.jpg

That doesn’t seem right, nor does Mizzou by 12.5. I looked at ESPN and they have Mizzou by 4.5. That seems about right.

98b8cb7c180195bf3a332fca6515e282.jpg

I think because OU and Texas both made CFP and NY6, everyone else got bumped up which is why we’re all underdogs.

Idk what's going on. I don't think the Vegas lines are even out yet lmao. 

34 minutes ago, NowThis said:

ummm.. his post even shows the Vegas lines. Did you happen to read his post before you quoted it? then a lmao. 

I was going off of what was available last night. There were at least 3 different lines that were floating out there.

As ChiTown provided - it looks like Mizzou -12.5 was pretty close to the mark.

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

I'm guessing Florida said nofuckingway on this one. Because SECSECSEC

I think most gator fans would prefer UCF to Michigan... as far as entertaining matchups.  We don't exaclty have a sterling record against UM (never beaten them)  UCF would be a more interesting match up and generate more interest however, UCF is no win proposition for the Gators...  You win, "duh, you were supposed to win, why are you picking on midgets?"   Lose and "omg gata total fraud, ucf national champions!!!111!"

doesn't matter...  Fiesta was not going to take 2 Florida teams, if you were them would you?   SEC didn't have anything to do with this. 

For the record, UCF got a better matchup against LSU, the Gata would have worn out the RB's cleats against UCF...  Gata has a better run game (3 headed monster) and we know UCF can't come close to stopping the run.  UF is thin in the secondary, so that might be one way LSu is a better fit against the Golden Knights

On 12/2/2018 at 8:55 AM, kopp0e said:

To be fair, the XII would have played tougher teams than what the PAC did in it's 1-7 bowl tour:

12/16Final
25 BSU 38
ORE 28
ABC

12/26Final
UTAH 30
WVU 14
ESPN

12/26Final
KSU 35
UCLA 17
ESPN

12/27Final
PUR 38
ARIZ 35
FOX

12/28Final
15 TCU 39
13 STAN 37
ESPN

12/28Final
16 MSU 42
18 WSU 17
FS1

12/29Final
24 NCST 52
ASU 31
CBS

12/29Final
5 OSU 24
8 USC 7
ESPN

12/30Final
11 WASH 28
9 PSU 35
ESPN

Their only win was WV *WITHOUT* Grier.  So close to perfect ineptness

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Solid.

I actually plan on not drinking any Busch Light unless it's free at a tailgate.  It's fine for a reliable cheap beer that you know you can get anywhere (around here), but it's been oddly fetishized by not only our fanbase, but the whole fucking state.

Traveling is an opportunity to try something else.  Not drink the same beer I drink every week, almost by accident.

1 minute ago, kopp0e said:

I would assume, whoever actually watches the SEC "tournament" (I guess you are referring to the SEC conference championship game, of football)...

No. Look again. Freaking Kentucky is in. If you let this play-out. They would sneak another team(aggie) in. You would most likely have almost half the field SEC. I have found nothing to complain about with the 4 team format right now. I could see 8 teams, but if you have lost more than one game. This should disqualify you. 

11 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

No. Look again. Freaking Kentucky is in. If you let this play-out. They would sneak another team(aggie) in. You would most likely have almost half the field SEC. I have found nothing to complain about with the 4 team format right now. I could see 8 teams, but if you have lost more than one game. This should disqualify you. 

Sure, the NCAA basketball tournament should only invite 12 teams that have lost less that 6 games all year (out of 350 teams or so), vs current system of 68 teams... #Nope

Man, there are 130 teams in this current division of the NCAA, by your metric, only about 12 per year ever have a shot at winning the CFP crown, that cuts into fan interest...
A better system would be to expand the CFP playoffs to at least 16, as divisions 2 & 3 have at least 24 team playoffs now... This increases national interest, year round for all...

Edited by kopp0e

1 minute ago, kopp0e said:

Sure, and the NCAA basketball tournament should only invite 12 teams that have lost less that 6 games all year (out of 35 or so), vs the current system of 68 teams... #Nope

Man, there are 130 teams in this current division of the NCAA, by your metric, only about 12 per year ever have a shot at winning the CFP crown, that cuts into fan interest...
A better system would be to expand the CFP playoffs to at least 16, as divisions 2 & 3 have at least 24 team playoffs now... This increases national interest, year round for all...

Take it to the basketball thread. Not even close in comparison.

2 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Take it to the basketball thread. Not even close in comparison.

An end of season CFP playoffs/ end of season NCAA tournament, winner is invited to event, must beat teams within grid format in consecutive wins; sounds "close" in comparison...
The expansion of the CFP is coming, your stance is the same as those who said the BCS bowls was "fine", but it eventually still lead to a playoff format, the same as when it expands...

15 hours ago, kopp0e said:

If the playoff were expanded:

This would be terrible. A 3/4-loss team that didn't win their conference in national title contention? This would be unheard of in college football, and I guarantee you it would bring us back to split championships because the AP poll would never rank a 3-loss WVU ahead of a 1-loss Alabama, and for very good reason. Kevin Turner covers the NFL, not college football, so this is naturally something he would disregard.

Again, an NFL-style method to crown a champion doesn't work because there aren't polls in the NFL. The NFL doesn't care about which team is the 'best', they just care about who wins their giant post-season tournament (regular-season outcomes be damned). College football doesn't really work like that and shouldn't.

Edited by satyanash

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

This would be terrible. A 3/4-loss team that didn't win their conference in national title contention? This would be unheard of in college football, and I guarantee you it would bring us back to split championships because the AP poll would never rank a 3-loss WVU ahead of a 1-loss Alabama, and for very good reason. Kevin Turner covers the NFL, not college football, so this is naturally something he would disregard.

I completely disagree. I think it would be great.

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

... didn't win their conference in national title contention? ...

You mean like the Alabama team that didn't win it's conference title last season (didn't even make the league title game in fact), that still won a title..? Ahh, ok...

Just now, kopp0e said:

You mean like the Alabama team that didn't win it's conference title last season (didn't even make the league title game in fact), that still won a title..? Ahh, ok...

Guess you missed the 3/4-loss part. It's kind of important, since we're not in the NFL where teams can lose half their bloody schedule and still make the playoffs.