So let's talk about the Baylor game

South Austin

Let's not start putting in the 2nd teamers yet. This isn't the 2005 Bears, and we're not 2005 Texas.

Baylor's poor rushing defense gets its numbers because of single points of failure. Meaning, on a given play, the DL will slant and one guy doesn't get the message. There's a big backside hole (insert your mom joke here), and the RB goes for whatever's left of the field. It isn't like they just get drove play after play. Ditto pass defense. Four guys play man, one plays zone, and the X receiver is running all by himself.

I'm not concerned about the Texas offense against Baylor's defense. I'm confident that, even if Baylor tightens up their mental game, Texas still has the athletes to score.

Baylor does have horses on offense. They have to score on the big play because they lack the strength to power rush inside the 20. However, they execute that impossible to defend back shoulder fade that, when run perfectly, can't be stopped once the ball is in the air.

The Texas defense has so many movable pieces that they create confusion interchanging with each other. If each man does his job, it should mentally overwhelm Baylor's OL, leading to QB pressure and, with enough frustration, easy turnovers.

Texas should be rightly considered the overwhelming favorite, but we're still going to have to execute. Baylor would really like to leave Austin laughing about Texas being back.

• Like 2

Baylor will also play 2 QB's. McClendon has the stronger arm and Brewer is the more mobile runner. Potential there to cause some confusion but McClendon is prone to holding the ball too long and Brewer will stare down his receiver. I expect to see 2-3 INT's thrown between these two guys.

6 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Baylor will also play 2 QB's. McClendon has the stronger arm and Brewer is the more mobile runner. Potential there to cause some confusion but McClendon is prone to holding the ball too long and Brewer will stare down his receiver. I expect to see 2-3 INT's thrown between these two guys.

Didn’t they have Hurd at qb a few times last week too?

17 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Last weekend was the first time Baylor stuck with 1 QB this season (Brewer). 

I think McClendon playing will be dependent on how much pressure we get with Baylor's terrible OL. Baylor might be forced to play the more mobile QB. 

Edited by texasstrong12

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Didn’t they have Hurd at qb a few times last week too?

Hurd will play Wildcat or RB sometimes. He's their "power runner" when they need one. No mistake, he's a big strong guy. If he and Charlie Brewer are run threats at the same time, the defense has to rally to whomever has the ball quickly. Fortunately, it's not too hard to figure out. Just clinical gap assignment, as Baylor just doesn't possess enough heavy bodies for an effective lead blocker.

4 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Hurd will play Wildcat or RB sometimes. He's their "power runner" when they need one. No mistake, he's a big strong guy. If he and Charlie Brewer are run threats at the same time, the defense has to rally to whomever has the ball quickly. Fortunately, it's not too hard to figure out. Just clinical gap assignment, as Baylor just doesn't possess enough heavy bodies for an effective lead blocker.

Hurd was close to becoming Tennessee's all time leading rusher, iirc. The story as I understand it is he wanted to keep playing football but his body, allegedly his shoulders in particular, couldn't take the pounding so he switched to WR. He's not particularly fast, runs kinda upright, but can be fairly shifty.

I am truly hoping that all this talk of baylor skill players stops the farther we get from the briles era.  Their rightful/normal place is in the cellar.  59-10 should be the score we should expect to beat these cocksuckers by.  They are a stain on the conference and need to be kicked out.  I hate those hypocritical dickheads. 

Sorry for the rant......carry on.  

1 minute ago, tonedeaf said:

I am truly hoping that all this talk of baylor skill players stops the farther we get from the briles era.  Their rightful/normal place is in the cellar.  59-10 should be the score we should expect to beat these cocksuckers by.  They are a stain on the conference and need to be kicked out.  I hate those hypocritical dickheads. 

There's so many fast, well-trained skill position players in Texas they're going ro get decent ones almost by default unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Just now, texifornia said:

There's so many fast, well-trained skill position players in Texas they're going ro get decent ones almost by default unfortunately. 

And as you and I both know, unusual size/speed combos appears to be the sole thing Baylor is focused on recruiting right now. 

The one bright side is that Herman is not asleep at the wheel on evaluations like Mack was, so it will be tough for Baylor and TCU to continue to stockpile top tier Texas talent while UT latches onto the first set of four stars identified by Geoff fucking Ketchum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Baylor will also play 2 QB's

Doomed.

9 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Definitely don't look at Baylors recent recruiting classes, then.

Definitely do not want a slow start here. We need to jump on Baylor early and finish them

Would love to not defer if we won the coin toss. Especially at home. Score on the first drive and keep scoring. They get the ball and Texas breaks their souls on that first drive of the second half. With a 3 and out. Fin.

26 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Would love to not defer if we won the coin toss. Especially at home. Score on the first drive and keep scoring. They get the ball and Texas breaks their souls on that first drive of the second half. With a 3 and out. Fin.

As long as they don't choose "kick."

32 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Definitely a trap game. We need to play no holds barred like we did against the gooners in the 3rd quarter and not let up. None us this "playing conservative" bullshit in the 4th.

Lets just stop getting holding penalties in clutch situations and go from there.

• Like 4

This game makes me nervous considering (i) Herman's shit performance at UH and Texas as a double digit favorite (almost as absurdly unimpressive as his performance as an underdog is absurdly impressive) and (ii) the fact we're coming off a huge emotional win.  X and O's aside that combo scares me.  If we're really turning the corner as a program we need to come out and win comfortably but I think more likely than not we're in a 4th quarter game.

OT: since Texas playing thanksgiving seems to not be going anywhere, what do y’all think of the prospect of playing Baylor on that weekend every year? Not because they are our rivals, but because it seems like both fan bases and teams just hate each other so much. I’d vote yes, especially if the alternative meant not playing Kansas in Lawrence.

12 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

OT: since Texas playing thanksgiving seems to not be going anywhere, what do y’all think of the prospect of playing Baylor on that weekend every year? Not because they are our rivals, but because it seems like both fan bases and teams just hate each other so much. I’d vote yes, especially if the alternative meant not playing Kansas in Lawrence.

tumblr_nyxn84xQiI1siz8g5o1_400.gif

I have no desire to play aggy. I'd much rather play aggy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Or how about we just play a regular schedule like everyone else. Outside of OU, it doesn’t make a shit. I’m glad to not play on thanksgiving day at all. I’d be fine not playing on that weekend, too. It’s a hassle. 

4 hours ago, TexasMan said:

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I can't decide if the bye helps or hurts. 
Do we carry intensity one more week, or take off mentally/physically a week early?  That will be the key either way, I think. 
I know teams are always grateful for the extra week to relax and heal up, but I've always seen it as a good thing if the team needs to regroup after a rough stretch, or momentum killer if they start the bye after a good run of games..

And as you and I both know, unusual size/speed combos appears to be the sole thing Baylor is focused on recruiting right now. 
The one bright side is that Herman is not asleep at the wheel on evaluations like Mack was, so it will be tough for Baylor and TCU to continue to stockpile top tier Texas talent while UT latches onto the first set of four stars identified by Geoff fucking Ketchum.
So you're saying fat Ketch is responsible for nearly a decade of wandering the wilderness?

I can dig it.

No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

I’d rather just kick Baylor out of the Big XII. If that was announced on thanksgiving I would be good with that.

11 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Not so fast. Alabama/LSU that weekend. Too much SEC to pass up.

You might think so, but LSU already has a loss and will likely pick up 1-2 more losses before then. Further, Bama’s games this year are just not exciting, as they have all been over by halftime.  I don’t expect that trend to change.  I would take Bama -9.5 against any team in the country right now, no other team is even close to their level.

No, if WVU is undefeated and Texas wins its next two, I don’t see how Game Day passes up a trip to Austin— a place where they have not been in a long, long time.