Kris Boyd probably should start showing up for meetings

TtomTerrific

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Boyd just needs more work to improve. I think he makes it several years in the league.

He has the tools. Work on shortening his memory when he gets beat and his ball skills and he can be a serviceable every-down corner. I also think he could play nickel in the NFL. If he works hard and gets good coaching he could play ten years. 

5 hours ago, immamac said:

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-select-texas-db-kris-boyd-in-the-7th-round-of-the-nfl-draft

Brutal

Strengths

• Big and strong for a cornerback
  • Plays with toughness and attitude
  • Good job with hands in bump-and-run
  • Can give receivers a rough ride over first five yards
  • Crowds and bodies up receivers downfield
  • Takes good angles to play the catch-point
  • Adequate downhill burst to close
  • Active, strong hands make contested catches difficult
  • Decent job at recognition from zone
  • Willing, physical tackler who doesn't need help
  • Strikes with heavy pads when he gets a shot
  • Will track and tackle out of his area

Weaknesses

• Slow, clunky backpedal
  • Tightly bundled hips and lacks fluidity
  • Inconsistent lateral steps to adjust to receiver's release
  • Too easy to shake from press for quick targets
  • Labored hip flip in his transitions
  • Recovery burst below average once beaten
  • Lacks athleticism and closing burst to turn breakups into takeaways
  • Glitchy with lateral movements from off-man
  • Doesn't find football with back to it
  • Prone to pass interference penalties downfield
  • Inconsistent leverage against the run

I could have told you about those weaknesses every time he got burnt toasted. Doesn't take an NFL scout to see those. I  think he worked on too much strength stuff instead of more explosive stuff to put it way too simply. 

7 hours ago, immamac said:

7 hours ago, immamac said:

Weaknesses

• Slow, clunky backpedal
  • Tightly bundled hips and lacks fluidity
  • Inconsistent lateral steps to adjust to receiver's release
  • Too easy to shake from press for quick targets
  • Labored hip flip in his transitions
  • Recovery burst below average once beaten
  • Lacks athleticism and closing burst to turn breakups into takeaways
  • Glitchy with lateral movements from off-man
  • Doesn't find football with back to it
  • Prone to pass interference penalties downfield
  • Inconsistent leverage against the run

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

Vikings is a good opportunity for KB if he's willing to shut up and learn.  Really disappointing that KB did not develop more at Texas.... but it's KB's fault.

Biggest obstacle for KB's success in NFL is KB's willingness to be coached and implement the instructions.  Get better KB or NFL dream will not happen... Good Luck!! 🤘

The Vikings locked up seventh-round pick Kris Boyd on Sunday, leaving just two of their 12 draft picks unsigned.

Boyd is a cornerback from Texas. He got a four-year, $2.629 million contract with a signing bonus of $109,676, and his deal counts $522,419 against the salary cap in 2019.

33 minutes ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Boyd is a cornerback from Texas. He got a four-year, $2.629 million contract with a signing bonus of $109,676, and his deal counts $522,419 against the salary cap in 2019.

Any info on what the gty amount is for Boyd's contract??

Hope KB gets great financial advice and hangs on to a good amount of his money..... too many former NFL players fail financially....

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Hope KB gets great financial advice and hangs on to a good amount of his money..... too many former NFL players fail financially....

I could be wrong but I think it’s almost nothing besides the signing bonus. If he wants to see much of that contract he has to make the roster, and he’ll do that by being a special teams demon.

He’ll get some small camp bonuses and stuff this offseason but not much else unless he can stick on the 53. 

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The signing bonus is guaranteed.

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I could be wrong but I think it’s almost nothing besides the signing bonus. If he wants to see much of that contract he has to make the roster, and he’ll do that by being a special teams demon.

He’ll get some small camp bonuses and stuff this offseason but not much else unless he can stick on the 53. 

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  After tax and agent commish, i figure he'll net $325K per year over 4 years, but that's only IF  he makes the team.  Of course the $109K signing bonus is guaranteed I'm sure, but past that, its only pro-rata for games played, though he may get a roster bonus if he makes the final cut. 

29 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  After tax and agent commish, i figure he'll net $325K per year over 4 years, but that's only IF  he makes the team.  Of course the $109K signing bonus is guaranteed I'm sure, but past that, its only pro-rata for games played, though he may get a roster bonus if he makes the final cut. 

Never questioned this before, but is there a pay difference between being active and inactive for a game?  Both are on the roster. 

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Thx for all the responses..... 

Crazy thought....  KB as a 7th Rd pick may currently have less guaranteed money than UDFA Andrew Beck.

• Boyd gty may be $109k (signing bonus)
  • Beck gty in his UDFA contract is $115k

Yeah, if you can get a bidding war as a UDFA, you’re ina better spot than a7th rounder.

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Never questioned this before, but is there a pay difference between being active and inactive for a game?  Both are on the roster. 

Not in theory - although some contracts specifically call out "active".    

There is a huge bump between roster and practice squad of course.

On 5/7/2019 at 10:23 AM, jdhorn92 said:

Assuming your numbers are pretty close,  $2.629 million just doesn't go as far it used to.  

But for a kid from Gilmer,   if he makes the team,  $325k per year is a pretty dam good payday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

Assuming your numbers are pretty close,  $2.629 million just doesn't go as far it used to.  

But for a kid from Gilmer,   if he makes the team,  $325k per year is a pretty dam good payday. 

That’s what I was thinking, especially spread over 4 years. Luckily he’s single and no kids. 

On 5/8/2019 at 12:08 PM, Laga4 said:

The problem is, of course, that the kid from Gilmer may have to make that four years of $325k last the better part of a lifetime.

I think the typical player, and apparently the typical American, thinks of that 325 like a 90k starting salary for an engineer.  Except the engineer is going to make that, and a lot more, for the next 40 years.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ztejas said:

He seems like an utterly pleasant guy for all of the shit we gave him this past year. 

well he's earned all of the shit he's been given over his career at UT, but he's definitely a charismatic guy. glad to see him humble and doing well.

Just now, Dbeasy said:

I defended Boyd all thru the last two seasons because you can see the upside if he can eliminate the few bonehead plays he made per game. The talent is there.

never seen a player give up more catches in blanketed coverages because a)the qbs and wrs in this league are insane, and b)unrefined ball skills. he must have lost at least 4-5 picks over his career because he mistimed his jump. but all of that said the dude can seriously cover. i've never doubted his ability to play in the NFL. 

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

never seen a player give up more catches in blanketed coverages because a)the qbs and wrs in this league are insane, and b)unrefined ball skills. he must have lost at least 4-5 picks over his career because he mistimed his jump. but all of that said the dude can seriously cover. i've never doubted his ability to play in the NFL. 

The same swagger that allows a good DB to play on an island and shake off bad plays can also cause a player to put himself in bad position. Kris has always had the ability. His confidence (or arrogance) got him in trouble a lot. If he takes coaching, he can be great.

We’ve had worse (at Texas) DBs get into the league and be great. 

On 6/19/2019 at 3:15 PM, ztejas said:

He seems like an utterly pleasant guy for all of the shit we gave him this past year. 

He’s matured a lot during his time here, and I hope he keeps maturing and has a successful career, but his combination of bonehead plays and off field antics, like tweeting about transferring during half time of the TCU game his freshman year, made him a lightning rod for fan’s ire. 

His best football is ahead of him.  He has elite athleticism and tested as one of the better DBs in the draft.  It's all mental for him.  With good NFL coaching, his best football is ahead of him.  Unfortunately, we had to endure the wrongs side of quite a few big plays as he was still learning the position his first 2-3 years here.  I thought he was solid his Sr season.  Had quite a few mistakes but then again, he had to face a gauntlet of NFL WRs this past season in the Big 12.  I hope he crushes it in the NFL.

Edited by victory88

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s matured a lot during his time here, and I hope he keeps maturing and has a successful career, but his combination of bonehead plays and off field antics, like tweeting about transferring during half time of the TCU game his freshman year, made him a lightning rod for fan’s ire. 

All of this, but when he was on he was close to elite status. We left him on an island against Jalen Raegor all game against TCU and Boyd clearly got the better of him. We did the same thing against David Sills of WVU and Boyd also won that matchup overall. 

On 6/19/2019 at 5:18 PM, Goo Punch said:

this. boyd always seemed to be there but could never make a play on the ball 

24 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

All of this, but when he was on he was close to elite status. We left him on an island against Jalen Raegor all game against TCU and Boyd clearly got the better of him. We did the same thing against David Sills of WVU and Boyd also won that matchup overall. 

Yeah I feel like people tended to think he was bad because of the parade of NFL wideouts he was asked to cover one-on-one. Aqib Talib in his heyday occasionally got made to look silly too.

The occasional dumbshit penalty was annoying, though.

Edited by texifornia

• 2 weeks later...

The TCU game against Raegor really highlighted the extremes with Boyd. Not just biting on a double move, but biting so badly he almost fell down, but still recovering in time to save the touchdown, followed later by simply being beaten to the outside, but recovering in time to slap away another TD... Raegor's one score came on a pretty obvious push off (not sour graping -- that penalty is almost never called; just pointing out there was nothing he could have done about it)... That game was Boyd at both his bone-headed worst and electrifying best. Never a dull moment.

• Like 1

The point about the caliber of WR he (or any #1 CB in the B12 for that matter) is an easy one to lose in the moment, but pretty striking when you think about it. Just eyeballing based off of opponent's best wideouts, Boyd spent the vast majority of his snaps covering:

TCU: Reagor

Kansas State: Zuber

OU: Brown/Lamb

Baylor: Mims/Hurd

OSU: *trigger warning* Wallace, post-Q1 suspension.

WVU: Sills

Tech: Wesley

ISU: Butler

KU: Okay this was an easy matchup lolz

OU: Lamb, as well as Brown pre-injury, with no Caden Sterns over the top for the most part. 

Not to mention the WR talent USC and Georgia brought to the table.

If I'm not mistaken, that is nine of 10 conference games, and probably 11 of 14 overall lined up against WRs that will play in the NFL. Several of them for a long time. That's a really big ask of any college corner in today's game. Not to excuse his deficiencies or anything, because the ball skills/PIs were maddening and have to be cleaned up in the pros, but if he got to line up against WRs in any other conference on a weekly basis he'd be lauded as one of the best corners in the county. Makes you appreciate his contributions. Come to think of it, really makes you appreciate how dominant Holton Hill was. The B12 is the path of most resistance for a college CB.

• Like 3

On 7/6/2019 at 8:53 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

The TCU game against Raegor really highlighted the extremes with Boyd. Not just biting on a double move, but biting so badly he almost fell down, but still recovering in time to save the touchdown, followed later by simply being beaten to the outside, but recovering in time to slap away another TD... Raegor's one score came on a pretty obvious push off (not sour graping -- that penalty is almost never called; just pointing out there was nothing he could have done about it)... That game was Boyd at both his bone-headed worst and electrifying best. Never a dull moment.

Pushing off was only called on Limas Sweed.

• 1 month later...