Burgers

ftf82

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

In other news… cedar Park has a new burger joint called Shake Shack. 
What’s the story on their burgers & shakes? 
Am always looking for a good chocolate shake.

From limited experience it's standard slightly-upscale fast food burger fare.  In 'n Out, Hat Creek, etc.  Don't know about the shakes.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/9/2023 at 3:32 PM, Armybrat said:

I don’t like cheese on my burgers. Fight me.

Am always looking for a good chocolate shake.

The foods fine, but it doesnt really stand out. I'd probably rather eat at a mighty fine and its probably a little cheaper.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/9/2023 at 3:32 PM, Armybrat said:

Not relevant to your question but one takeaway is they provide free water cups that might the smallest I’ve ever seen in a restaurant.  As a result of you’ll be back and forth from the water dispenser several times.  Given the whole operation is restaurant impresario Danny Meyer’s baby I wonder if it’s intentional.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, when they first opened up on South Lamar...there were posters claiming Shake Shack was gonna change the burger landscape of Austin.  And I cracked wise as I am wont to do.  But I just didn't get it and still don't.  Went a couple times and it was good and all, but I didn't get the nationwide buzz they got once they moved westward.  They were trying for like a 'culture of community and customer service' like Nordstrom or something.  For a few years, each time I'd drive by, there was literally a line out the door and around the corner.  I can't remember the last time I've seen more than a handful of people in there nowadays when I drive down South Lamar.  Been years since I had one and I won't miss it if it shuttered tomorrow.  

Now a burger I've been craving lately.  I think I haven't had one since Covid, is from Hopfield's.  Drove by the other day and was about to go in but realized I was running late and didn't have time so inhaled a what-a-burger instead.  But I really miss that fucking place and that Pascal.

• Hook 'Em 1

Between HJ's posts on burgers and armybrat's pics of tex-mex meals/margaritas in between cardiology appointments......that they'll both easily outlive me gives me the sads.  I had to measure out my sodium count for yesterday because I've got a neurology follow-up coming here soon...

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

La Tamal Burger from La Plancha, imo.

Two angus beef patties, guacamole, tomatillo salsa, smoked ham, lettuce, a tamale, and a costra.

IMG_5249.jpeg

IMG_5250.jpeg

So you’re saying I can tell my cardiologist that I’m eating my veggies with that lettuce? Sounds good to me.  

On 11/7/2018 at 8:52 AM, HenryJames said:

This. Always consistent as are the fries.

On 5/11/2019 at 7:42 PM, HenryJames said:

b6e12f6ce520cd5771d3e5157a932d0a.jpg

Hopfields, imo.

On 6/13/2021 at 5:53 PM, HenryJames said:

Hopfields you stupid faget.

On 8/22/2021 at 11:46 AM, HenryJames said:

Hopfields, imo.

C8130E41-9074-493A-84F5-BBB0B5703D4C.jpeg

On 5/22/2022 at 4:54 PM, HenryJames said:

Hopfields, imo.

01265FF3-2F40-43D3-8F63-038B7251AA0D.jpeg

On 12/19/2023 at 3:01 PM, utee94 said:

Hopfields is among the best burgers in the city.  

If you look back through this thread I suspect @HenryJameshas posted about 37 different pictures on this subject matter.

Don't ask me why (on vacation + whiskey) but for some reason tonight I went back through this thread in its entirety and discovered @HenryJames only mentioned or responded to or pictured Hopfields five times since thread inception.

He mentioned or pictured both the Crown and Dirty's probably 5x more.  And Sour Duck got as many or more mentions-- deservedly so, that's a tasty burger.

Anyway, the whole point is that I sit here in awe of the burger and fry work that HJ is putting in day after day.  He's a real American hero and should have been featured on those old Budweiser commercials.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, utee94 said:

He mentioned or pictured both the Crown and Dirty's probably 5x more.  And Sour Duck got as many or more mentions-- deservedly so, that's a tasty burger.

Yeah, my daughter prefers the other places. 

7 hours ago, utee94 said:

Hopfields you stupid faget.

I hope this was directed toward @jimmyjazz.

20 hours ago, utee94 said:

Anyway, the whole point is that I sit here in awe of the burger and fry work that HJ is putting in day after day.  He's a real American hero and should have been featured on those old Budweiser commercials.

Mr. Cheeseburger Picture Poster Guy?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not going to read upthread, but my two favorite go-tos right now are the burger at PH Brewery on Ben White and the one at Bill's Oyster on 3rd.  They both have to be just steeped with butter or something, but both are really well done smash burgers.

3 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Not going to read upthread, but my two favorite go-tos right now are the burger at PH Brewery on Ben White and the one at Bill's Oyster on 3rd.  They both have to be just steeped with butter or something, but both are really well done smash burgers.

I’ve mentioned the Bill’s burger, and I’m a big fan.

I need to check out the PH burger. I got tired of their pizza but am willing to give the burger a shot. I live real close to the Burnet Road location.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

I need to check out the PH burger. I got tired of their pizza but am willing to give the burger a shot. I live real close to the Burnet Road location.

Not sure whether you're aware, but the burger isn't available at the pizza joint on Burnet.

• Hook 'Em 2

Had the Hopfields Pascal burger on Wednesday night, so damn good.

I haven't read anything about the burger at Stiles Swtich on here but it's definitely worth checking out. Only available on Thursdays - they use ground brisket smoke the patty to medium rare and then sear it off on the flat top when you order.

(not my pic)

275432863_4574087336030779_3935542302767926188_n.thumb.jpg.880265f79ad1ec60b4c6688116a1d03f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 2

• 3 weeks later...

Had the burger at Sour Duck today. Damn good burger, but I wasn't a huge fan of the fry sauce. Need to try the chicken sandwich next time. They also have hop water on the menu which was nice for dry January. Anyone tried the burger at Odd Duck? Looks like from the menu that it's a totally different burger than Odd Duck.

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The burger at Bill’s Oyster is on our list to try - keep hearing great things.

Lately Bill’s is my favorite burger in town. The fries are damn good also.

Though looks like I need to get the burgers at Odd Duck and Sour Duck.