Texas vs. OU Sat 12/1 @11:00 AM

MirrOlure

OU RB Kennedy Brooks is averaging almost 10 ypc damn.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4241371/kennedy-brooks
If this guy goes off we're in for a long day - tough tradeoff between playing the run and dropping extra guys back to stop those WR

He was around for the first game and we survived. Sermon was the problem for us.

Look, it's gonna be a pretty tough day for us on defense. OU is gonna get theirs and they are going to score. A lot. It is what it is. What got us the game last time is getting a couple turnovers and one or two stops resulting in punts. That's all it really takes because we are going to score damn near every time we touch the ball. The Texas defense isn't great, but I trust them to get 2-3 stops far more than I trust OU to do the same.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 6th Street said:

OU RB Kennedy Brooks is averaging almost 10 ypc damn.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4241371/kennedy-brooks

If this guy goes off we're in for a long day - tough tradeoff between playing the run and dropping extra guys back to stop those WR

I think Brooks is easily their best back.  Just like always, the first priority is stopping the run, because this kid is really good.  Oklahoma has the best offensive talent in the nation, and if you can't stop the run, then they do to you what they did to West Virginia.  

What's the latest on Graham?  Is he out?  

Edited by Ghost of Shag

42 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I think Brooks is easily their best back.  Just like always, the first priority is stopping the run, because this kid is really good.  Oklahoma has the best offensive talent in the nation, and if you can't stop the run, then they do to you what they did to West Virginia.  

What's the latest on Graham?  Is he out?  

Yeah, I don’t think it’s unfair to point out that they didn’t really use their best back the first time around. He averaged a shit ton of yards against us on his 3 touches as well. 

We also mostly contained Pooka and Montgomery when it was a focal point. We shut down the run and pressure the qb, and I think we can get the stops we need.

Agreed with previous posts on hitting Murray early... eat 15 yds once or twice if need be. Nothing to the point of injury/head shot, but a solid going out of bounds or flop on him as he does his lay down move is def on the table. Odds are they're gonna score on the drive anyhow

59 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

He was around for the first game and we survived. Sermon was the problem for us.

Look, it's gonna be a pretty tough day for us on defense. OU is gonna get theirs and they are going to score. A lot. It is what it is. What got us the game last time is getting a couple turnovers and one or two stops resulting in punts. That's all it really takes because we are going to score damn near every time we touch the ball. The Texas defense isn't great, but I trust them to get 2-3 stops far more than I trust OU to do the same.

OU started using Brooks in the 4th quarter when they ripped off 21 straight points against our tired defense.

If we stick with that rush 3 guys and drop 8 with no pressure, things will get ugly.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Sermon was the problem for us, correct.  But had Brooks been used earlier, I think he would have been a bigger problem.  

I want to believe that we will score near every time we touch the ball.  Improved as we are on offense, we're still Jekyll and Hyde in that I'm never quite sure which will show up.  We can score every down or we can go into a shell for a quarter.  

I trust our D more than the OU D as well.  No doubt.  I just don't trust our offense yet to score as much as we need to. 

Still, we did it in October.  No reason we can't do it again. 

55 minutes ago, bluto said:

Agreed with previous posts on hitting Murray early... eat 15 yds once or twice if need be. Nothing to the point of injury/head shot, but a solid going out of bounds or flop on him as he does his lay down move is def on the table. Odds are they're gonna score on the drive anyhow

Going back a long way here, but we were coached to have EVERYONE hit a bitch at the same time... Coach said they ain't gonna call but one foul if they call a foul at all, and after a couple of those, that fucker's gonna think twice about sticking his head in there again... 'course, with all the bullshit "targeting" calls going on that means you hafta be careful about it...

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Sermon was the problem for us, correct.  But had Brooks been used earlier, I think he would have been a bigger problem.  

I want to believe that we will score near every time we touch the ball.  Improved as we are on offense, we're still Jekyll and Hyde in that I'm never quite sure which will show up.  We can score every down or we can go into a shell for a quarter.  

I trust our D more than the OU D as well.  No doubt.  I just don't trust our offense yet to score as much as we need to. 

Still, we did it in October.  No reason we can't do it again. 

Sam not healthy like he was in October vs BlowU.  Horns ran Sam a lot in RRR.... gonna have to change gameplan Saturday with Sam's shoulder so banged up.  Hope Sam throws better than he did against Kansas.

Texas has to be aggressive on Offense..... Can't Win CCG with a weak ass conservative gameplan.  Time for Mensa to whip the Rocket Scientist....

Hook'em 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

OU started using Brooks in the 4th quarter when they ripped off 21 straight points against our tired defense.

If we stick with that rush 3 guys and drop 8 with no pressure, things will get ugly.

What are you talking about? Brooks literally did not touch the ball on any of those drives. Zero touches. You are straight up wrong on this point. I'm on mobile so no link but go check the play by play on ESPN.

7 of this points came off a one play TD sprint from Murray and 7 came on a three play drive where Sermon got every single yard. The first drive was six plays but none went to Brooks.

Do agree with the last point. They will shred the prevent stuff. Send Foster Roach, and GJ after Murray constantly. They will hit on big plays, but it's also the only chance to create negative plays to get them off schedule and force turnovers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RowdyVic said:

I have a weird feeling that the refs will try to fuck us this go around.

Same.  Tom needs to break his tendencies.  He should argue for reviews of game-changing close or missed calls.  I can't stand when he stands there with his arms crossing blowing bubbles while the opponents coach is working the refs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CastHorn said:

If Brandon Jones can’t go, I have confidence in Chris Brown. He surprised me with his few snaps this season. He’s violent and knows where to be. 

i would also like to see Brown in (if Jones isn't).

this would keep 25 close to the line. he and 33 are both needed to contain the midget. 

man i hope we have 19 and 33 healthy. so important for stopping these fucks

21 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

What are you talking about? Brooks literally did not touch the ball on any of those drives. Zero touches. You are straight up wrong on this point. I'm on mobile so no link but go check the play by play on ESPN.

7 of this points came off a one play TD sprint from Murray and 7 came on a three play drive where Sermon got every single yard. The first drive was six plays but none went to Brooks.

Do agree with the last point. They will shred the prevent stuff. Send Foster Roach, and GJ after Murray constantly. They will hit on big plays, but it's also the only chance to create negative plays to get them off schedule and force turnovers.

Interesting - either way one of those RBs was ripping off huge chunks of yards in the 4th quarter. That can't happen. Need to make OU one-dimensional. 

24 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

7 of this points came off a one play TD sprint from Murray.

More troubling is that came of OUs bread and butter play - GT pull. One of the SBNation sites did a write-up on it the week before the game. Our coaches had to know they rely heavily on it and execute it very well. No idea how we weren’t prepared for it.

Murrays long run against WVU came on a similar play, but I want to say only the guard or tackle pulled, not both. 

That said, I think if we scheme for it well, it’s a great opportunity to knock Murray the fuck out as it’s a designed run with clear keys (pull action) to know it’s coming. Haven’t looked, but wouldn’t be surprised if the G/T has a tell when they’re about to pull. I’d love nothing more for Murray to run right into a well designed blitz meant to disrupt it and have his head smashed in by Foster...but he’d probably slide for a 6 yard loss because he’s a pussy.

More troubling is that came of OUs bread and butter play - GT pull. One of the SBNation sites did a write-up on it the week before the game. Our coaches had to know they rely heavily on it and execute it very well. No idea how we weren’t prepared for it.
Murrays long run against WVU came on a similar play, but I want to say only the guard or tackle pulled, not both. 
That said, I think if we scheme for it well, it’s a great opportunity to knock Murray the fuck out as it’s a designed run with clear keys (pull action) to know it’s coming. Haven’t looked, but wouldn’t be surprised if the G/T has a tell when they’re about to pull. I’d love nothing more for Murray to run right into a well designed blitz meant to disrupt it and have his head smashed in by Foster...but he’d probably slide for a 6 yard loss because he’s a pussy.
I didn't know that. Sounds interesting - do you have a link by chance? The one reasonable thing I'd say about the staff is that you're probably not looking to defend the designed QB run up two scores with five minutes left. Murray was somewhat contained as a runner on the day aside from that play, which makes me think it was a play call that caught our defensive staff napping as opposed to a scheme issue. Also watching the replay, we took some terrible angles there.

Some really strong in depth analysis going on over on the sooner board.  check this quote out:

All hinges on the first quarter and a half. If the defense can stymie the run game then we blow them out. Herman will come in with a plan to try to keep the ball. Ehlinger isn't good enough and they don't have playmakers outside. 

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I didn't know that. Sounds interesting - do you have a link by chance? The one reasonable thing I'd say about the staff is that you're probably not looking to defend the designed QB run up two scores with five minutes left. Murray was somewhat contained as a runner on the day aside from that play, which makes me think it was a play call that caught our defensive staff napping as opposed to a scheme issue. Also watching the replay, we took some terrible angles there.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/10/4/17935584/oklahoma-sooners-guard-tackle-counter-texas-longhorns-defense-todd-orlando

46 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

You know what’s even more troubling, is that the LT for ousux didn’t know the play and actually ran into the pulling RG. They blew in their own play and we were so out of position we couldn’t make the play. I wrote about it in the OSU defense post I made, and have the gif. I’ll go look it up. 

Edit: here it is. Foster attacks the interior and GJ as he scrapes left haha. Omenihu gets over aggressive. Sterns is caught flat footed. And Davis can’t beat his blocker. 

g5nyk6.gif

Edited by taybo20

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

You know what’s even more troubling, is that the LT for ousux didn’t know the play and actually ran into the pulling RG. They blew in their own play and we were so out of position we couldn’t make the play. I wrote about it in the OSU defense post I made, and have the gif. I’ll go look it up. 

Was just going to say that bc I decided to rewatch the play. You’re absolutely right...that was a mess for their oline and shouldn’t have worked.

It looks like the LT pulling instead of blocking down confused the GJ and Foster...may have been why they both stepped inside? Omenihu washes himself out completely. Both sides busted that one.

Edited by bigcigar

7 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Edit: here it is. Foster attacks the interior and GJ as he scrapes left haha. Omenihu gets over aggressive. Sterns is caught flat footed. And Davis can’t beat his blocker. 

g5nyk6.gif

It’s a good play design, but Omenihu has to play contain here esp since Johnson is blitzing. And Stearns totally underestimates Kyler’s speed.

Orlando needs to tell the DEs to not worry about sacks and to funnel everything up the middle IMO.

42 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Was just going to say that bc I decided to rewatch the play. You’re absolutely right...that was a mess for their oline and shouldn’t have worked.

It looks like the LT pulling instead of blocking down confused the GJ and Foster...may have been why they both stepped inside? Omenihu washes himself out completely. Both sides busted that one.

Yeah I wondered about that in terms of what they both were key reading. Just a little bit of a plug on the right side by Omenihu or GJ or Foster and it’s likely Hager makes a tackle on Murray. But alas, we have much to be better on, and hopefully we are

38 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

It’s a good play design, but Omenihu has to play contain here esp since Johnson is blitzing. And Stearns totally underestimates Kyler’s speed.

Orlando needs to tell the DEs to not worry about sacks and to funnel everything up the middle IMO.

My football IQ is low and outdated, but wouldn’t Omenihu stick with the pulling LT? 

28 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Such a little bitch that needs his ass kicked... Again

Roach nearly broke Will Grier in half and has knocked guys around before ( James Washington ).  If he can get a hold of him, I hope he does something violent, even if it results in a 15 yard penalty.  Make his little ass tap out.

• Like 1