Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

52 minutes ago, JMFP said:

Transmission level SCADA systems must be on their own private networks per NERC standards so for someone to hack into a transmission SCADA they would have to physically plug in at a substation to hack their way in or break into a control room either way at that point someone would know they are there. It would be easier at the distribution level that doesn't follow NERC standards but then it would be isolated to a smaller region and then what is the real danger if they command distribution breakers to open? Linemen dispatch, turn the controls to local, and close the breakers back in. But also there's like 3000 different distribution companies in the US so to cause a lot of trouble at that level would take a lot of coordination and breaking into a lot of systems. Yeah they could shut off a city and that would suck especially of it's really hot or any cold but it could be brought back up fairly quickly.

At the transmission level all they could really do is trip open lines which would suck but what is the danger of physical damage occurring? Maybe some other lines would be overloaded to the point of self destruction but in order for that to happen all of the automatic relaying would have to be disabled at the same time to keep the overloaded facilities energized until they fell down and you can't do that with SCADA. So again if your SCADA is compromised you dispatch techs to switch the devices to local control and close them back in. Would take a couple days maybe to bring everything back up and it would be suck but would not be catastrophic. And again it is one transmission operator at a time unless a huge coordinated effort is underway.

Generation plants, to gain access to controls in any ones of decent size you'd have to break in to the control room or the plant yard to gain control of the devices. The plants were tied to have their own control rooms on site.

A large EMP would fuck our shit up in a hurry though. 

But bang for your buck, most cost effective way to fuck up a power system would be physical sabotage. A few 30.06 rounds from a couple hundred yards into a large transformer is a bad day all around. Then if you got a couple buddies doing it too at the same time then a lot of people in that region are going to be living like @Mooseoutfront for a while. Especially right now, most companies are running on very very thin inventory. I mean normally to replace a large transformer takes a while anyway but right now nobody has any spares and replacements are years out. 

Anyway, if you require electricity to live then buy a generator and keep plenty of fuel on hand.

"Private networks" per NERC standards are not really private. The NERC standards are not very prescriptive despite being inspired by NIST. They leave a lot of room for interpretation as to how to implement a security control. I've seen companies get really cute with "network segmentation" and calling it their separate OT network that is NERC compliant. Laughable shit.

Still, I agree that a kinetic attack is much more damaging and easier than a cyber attack.

The last part about replacement parts is something I am familiar with and that is fucking scary.

• Like 1

"Su-27 Returning From Romania Will Likely Be The Last Fighter Ukraine Gets For Some Time

--As a lone Su-27 returns from Romania, it's becoming clear that the restocking of Ukraine's fighter fleet is unlikely to happen."

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44514/su-27-returning-from-romania-will-likely-be-last-fighter-ukraine-will-get-for-some-time

• Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/03/1/7327246/

80,000 people return to Ukraine from abroad, most of them men
TUESDAY, 1 MARCH 2022, 21:46

Russia ain't going to easily move another 80,000 men into Ukraine.

Hell, they are concerned about keeping the ones they've already got there in Ukraine.

9 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

"Su-27 Returning From Romania Will Likely Be The Last Fighter Ukraine Gets For Some Time

--As a lone Su-27 returns from Romania, it's becoming clear that the restocking of Ukraine's fighter fleet is unlikely to happen."

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44514/su-27-returning-from-romania-will-likely-be-last-fighter-ukraine-will-get-for-some-time

We need to leave some jets unguarded so a hotshot teenager and his bad ass mixtape could borrow two of those jets with his friend Chappy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

The ruskies' propaganda is strong.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to just come out and say it.  Russians might be good-hearted people, but centuries have shown that they are just fucking stupid and seemingly will always hand over their country and personal fate to a strongman.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm sorry, but I'm going to just come out and say it.  Russians might be good-hearted people, but centuries have shown that they are just fucking stupid and seemingly will always hand over their country and personal fate to a strongman.

They are, but their history is just polluted with one despot after another. 

11 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

The ruskies' propaganda is strong.

It's strong, but there's a point where many Russians will ask themselves that if the Ukrainians are bombing their own cities, why is the Russian stock market closed, why are Russian banks struggling, why is Putin banning people leaving with more than $10,000 in foreign currency, why are a shit-ton of companies cutting ties with Russia, why are the tourists disappearing, why can't Russians go abroad or come home, what are the rumors about Russians surrendering to Ukrainians, etc., etc., etc.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So very true. And  sad. The Ukrainians need more weapons ASAP. NOW! Slava Ukraini!

“Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just around the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me.”

19 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

This is pretty badass...also...

As with everything right now, who knows if this is actually true, but I saw a post earlier where Japan recalled their ambassador to Ukraine and he refused, and sent for his samurai sword. Say what you will for that culture, but I do know that if a Japanese person asks for their sword, it's safe to say they are serious about fighting.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Is it handing over when elections are rigged and whoever takes power has any dissention squashed with murder and arrest?

We're getting dangerously close to sliding down that path ourselves

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

As with everything right now, who knows if this is actually true, but I saw a post earlier where Japan recalled their ambassador to Ukraine and he refused, and sent for his samurai sword. Say what you will for that culture, but I do know that if a Japanese person asks for their sword, it's safe to say they are serious about fighting.  

That sounds completely made up

3 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

They are also serious about seppuku and I am not making light of it. Lots of stuff has been walked back that we have been reading. The American media seems resigned that Ukraine will be taken and it will be a blood bath. Having said that some of what we are seeing is clearly psyops and propaganda meant to mess with the Russians. I just hope that the weapons that have been promised will get to Ukraine quickly otherwise it is all a bunch of bullshit posturing wearing blue and yellow and standing and clapping. Enough. Give these people the weapons they fucking need. 

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's strong, but there's a point where many Russians will ask themselves that if the Ukrainians are bombing their own cities, why is the Russian stock market closed, why are Russian banks struggling, why is Putin banning people leaving with more than $10,000 in foreign currency, why are a shit-ton of companies cutting ties with Russia, why are the tourists disappearing, why can't Russians go abroad or come home, what are the rumors about Russians surrendering to Ukrainians, etc., etc., etc.

Why aren’t ukraninans rushing in droves to mother Russia to escape the persecution and bombing, why is Russia not playing in World Cup, why is my credit card account not working, why can’t I get a new iPhone, yea that list gets pretty long as far as common sense goes. People will get fed up, just a matter of time as long as Germany doesn’t somehow fuck it all up for everyone.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Been thinking about alternatives to any NATO countries doing airstrikes and I got to thinking, what's stopping the Israeli's from flying a sortie or 20?  Russians did just rocket attack (albeit somewhat on accident) a major holocaust memorial.  They aren't NATO, but are flying USA made equipment, but legally operate independently from us.  Combine that with at least a significant cultural tie to Ukraine.  Additionally, I think Russia would be unlikely to engage outside of the combat zone as an attack on Israel would be an attack on the US via treaty.  Of course that all presumes that the Israeli's would be interested in such a move.  Bottom line the Ukrainians just need a few well done sorties and the entire tenor of this changes.  

Also, no CR, but at the end of Biden's SOTU address he said after talking about the military, "Go get him? Or go get em?' much is being made of this in the twitter world. No idea. Might have nothing to do at all with Ukraine. 

Any good live feeds or at least non-biased twitter to follow? I know that @atomheartbevo is the best at this. I also am sorry to @Eastwood for bringing dishonor to a great thread. 

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Been thinking about alternatives to any NATO countries doing airstrikes and I got to thinking, what's stopping the Israeli's from flying a sortie or 20?  

The Israelis. They'd smoke the Russkie AF, but they aren't getting involved with Russia and risking escalation in/from Syria. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Those little fuckers can be pesky fighters.

F5DED51D-8697-4CC2-BF75-51E2DA5C3E48.jpeg

Just now, TexasEd said:

I am convinced that some of those abandoned Russian vehicles and uniforms in Ukraine are the infiltration forces sent in to blend into the local population, sabotage, recon, and hunt for high value targets.

That's some expensive-ass transportation though, and it's pretty risky for a lot of reasons - high visibility.  Seeing a bunch of dudes get out of those vehicles and dump their clothes and not surrender would get them followed.

There's reports that the Russians were putting people in place going back to late last years in the larger cities.  Would not be hard at all when a huge chunk of the population speaks Russian/has Russian family members, etc.