Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

18 hours ago, Smax said:

I'm well aware of this, like you I've read a lot about Russian military doctrine tactics especially over the past month, so unless this is your field of study and or profession, step down off that high horse as you are just as much an expert on this topic as I am

Well my mom was a US Army civilian military strategy expert responsible for planning/gaming scenarios with Soviet/Russian attacks in Eastern Europe just like this (ground, air, missile engagements and troop strengths, resupply, counter tactics, etc.) and then later on North Korea.  Seriously, she was but that's all I got.  Oh and no pics.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Ok, so seeing two pieces of pretty critical disinformation spreading related to the war. Both of them are also being spread by a very influential U.S. blogger who has been recruited as a Viktor Orban fellow (I wish I were making that up). I’m not telling you to go over to his Twitter and drag him Surly style, but I’m not telling you NOT to do it. Both of these are clearly Kremlin narratives and not useful idiot narratives.

1. The Mariupol hospital bombing was a false flag.  .....

2. The gotdamn bio-weapons lab. They’ve amped it up to 11- now it is a whole CHAIN of bio labs,......

Yeah, I've been seeing this shit.  At least with RT and ZeroHedge, most individuals with a few brain cells to rub together will easily and clearly see that they are long-the Russian disinformation outlets, but when you have "established" guys like this who are pulling the "just asking questions" shit, it gets harder for a lot of people to see Russian disinformation when it's staring them in the face.

I will say that this is another sign that Russia was not quite prepared - they should have had this stuff lined up from Day 1.

Several websites I run, and some sites/FB groups/etc. I am a mod/admin on, were getting hit with a bunch of Russian-focused spam from bot farms not too long after the invasion, but it was haphazard and mostly getting caught by the spam filters (and I wouldn't have even noticed some of it had I not been checking the spam folders/reports).  With that said, there was a lot of use of proxies/VPNs, and some of the bots/scripts were crafted so well that they were getting through the automated spam/bot checks.  These were sites/groups that had nothing to do with Russia or Ukraine or war.

I wonder if this is truly the first major war where social media was fully intertwined with how many people (particularly Americans) are getting a lot of the news.

Looking at the last several major wars:

• Afghanistan - Social media came into the public conscious long after the war really got going, and it was kind of a gradual thing so that you didn't have a massive amount of people all of the sudden exposed to us going to war.
  • Iraq War - See Afghanistan
  • Libya - Social media was still not quite hitting the mainstream (or rather smartphones), plus very limited interest for most Americans (outside of photos of Khadafi getting fucked up).  Americans also didn't understand the sides.
  • Syria Conflict - See Libya
  • Yemen Conflict - Kind of a bit of Libya, but also most Americans have no clue what the fuck is going on there or who is involved, so a heavy lack of interest.  Most Americans probably don't understand Iran vs Saudi Arabia, because hey, "aren't they all Muslims?"
  • ISIS - See Libya through Yemen - yeah, the ISIS stuff was passed around, but it faded from the public view fairly fast as well, helped by language barriers.

Now from Libya on, there was plenty of stuff happening that was getting passed around social media - ISIS used the hell out of social media, but there were language barriers since in many cases, the social media content and the platforms being used were focused on non-English speakers, and there was also plenty of delays.  More importantly, most Americans could not define who was fighting who and why.

Now war stuff was always available though for those who wanted to see it, going back to Ogrish and later LiveLeaks

With Ukraine, we have a shitload of civilians with smartphones and internet access bringing us near-instant ringside seats, but more importantly we have a lot of English-language information coming out rapidly, including the photogenic Ukrainian President putting out English videos.  We also have instant translation tools built in to social media (Facebook, twitter) that we didn't necessarily have with previous conflicts.  Maybe even more important than getting near-instant English-language info, the two sides are very clearly defined and from even before the start of the invasion, there was very clear/precise messaging coming out from our leadership/intelligence community/etc. laying out what was going to happen.  Because so much of this war is accessible to English-language speakers, you are getting the data/war/history nerds involved.

And hell, Russia/Putin makes for one helluva bogey man as well, so interest is running extremely high.

And lest we forget, we now have 24/7 webcams running in places like Kyiv..

There will be a lot of books written about this war, but I'l be curious to read the ones concerning social media.  Ukraine has been putting on a master class in terms of its social media management, while Russia's social media management is....apparently run by the same people who run its military, which is to say it keeps stumbling around half-drunk and running into ambushes.  It shouldn't be surprising about Ukraine, they have a highly-educated population, with plenty of people who worked for Western tech companies.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

2. The gotdamn bio-weapons lab. They’ve amped it up to 11- now it is a whole CHAIN of bio labs, where the Americans and Ukrainians were nefariously planning to create viruses that spread via natural bird migrations to Russia and that were targeted at ethnic Slavs. Also, of course, they were weaponizing COVID-19 and doing experiments on bats.  And they escaped with all the evidence to Poland. Dirt bags!

ah yes, yes, yes...because biohazard labs are known for their high level of portability!

the bio-weapons stuff is so transparent.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Lots of deserters I guess??? 

They are looking at a major artic lows cold snap the next few days or so and tanks are going to be frozen death traps for anyone that has to stay in them once they run out of fuel.

If they are having the level of supply shortages it seems like, it might be best to just "run out of gas" on patrol and ditch the tank and go try and hole up somewhere warm for a week or so and the neither go back to your own lines or just desert.

• Hook 'Em 2

Defense analysts assume a multiplier of 3x KIA to get the numbered on injured troops. If you assume 7k russian KIA, add another 21k for wounded. Meaning an estimated 28k russian troops out of action, depending on the number of KIA.

And adding to the fumbling and bumbling propaganda mentioned by @atomheartbevohere's a visibly nervous Sergei Lavrov at his press conference this morning while making absurd claims.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, Putin has said to go ahead with a nationalization plan. Foreign companies that leave will have their assets placed under “external management” (state corporations) and then they will be repackaged and “sold” at auction to the highest bidder.  If a bidder cannot be found, the state will buy them.

Putin to pissed off oligarchs: Here, this is what you get in exchange now shut up and get on board. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

https://www.politico.eu/article/gerhard-schroder-in-moscow-to-meet-putin-in-ukraine-peace-bid-sources/

Gerhard Schröder in Moscow to meet Putin in Ukraine peace bid: Sources

Former German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder is in Moscow to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday as part of a mediation effort to end the war in Ukraine, sources familiar with the matter told POLITICO.

Schröder has come under fierce criticism at home and abroad for refusing to sever his close ties to Moscow following Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. Even several of his office staff quit last week after he insisted on keeping his senior roles at Kremlin-linked energy giants Rosneft and Gazprom.

Schröder, a Social Democrat, served as German chancellor from 1998 to 2005. He has since enjoyed a lucrative business career thanks to his Russian energy roles.

Ukraine wanted to see if Schroeder could build a bridge for dialogue with Putin,” according to a person familiar with the matter.

Last week, Ukraine’s ambassador to Germany, Andrij Melnyk, suggested Schröder could try to mediate between Moscow and Kyiv.

German government officials said they had not been informed in advance of Schröder’s initiative.

==============

I mean, I guess its better than a pipeline...

but still...Gerhard? Now?

22 minutes ago, Captainant said:

With the recent talk of disinformation, I just read an interesting article that's been tracking qanon conspiracy and found a significant overlap with russian disinformation and techniques (link). Relevant excerpts below:

The loop of the russian government making suggestive statements, which are repeated and iterated on by mass media, and then further absurdified by smaller blogs, and then ultimately getting taken to crazy town by social media is eerily familiar. Thank god we're finally recognizing it as the information warfare that it is and taking steps to diminish its effect.

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

ah yes, yes, yes...because biohazard labs are known for their high level of portability!

the bio-weapons stuff is so transparent.

For the most part, the stuff like the bio-weapons conspiracy is targeted towards Russian audiences. The fact that it gets some traction in the West is just icing on the cake for Russia, but ultimately it's about making sure the Russian people are scared of Ukraine.

I have a qanon relative, and she posted this kind of stuff yesterday on FB, and a relative who is a doctor politely told her that the US military has plenty of resources doing (defensive) bio-weapons research and that the US wouldn't fund a lab in Ukraine that is literally begging to be overrun by the Russians.  I tossed in that if Ukraine had bioweapons, they would have already used them, since a massive invasion by a country the size of Russia is pretty much the time and place you'd want to use WMDs.

Are we taking bets on when Russia starts beating the bioweapons drum with Moldova?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Over time, this sort of tactic is actually quite powerful.  It's been a few decades since I read the collection of Ghandi's writing on nonviolent resistance, but it's remarkably effective.

Make the Russians arrest and hurt an old woman survivor of a war of aggression.  Make them do it in front of the world.  Make them arrest children.  In front of the world.  Russia further digs its own hole.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shady Ray said:

https://www.politico.eu/article/gerhard-schroder-in-moscow-to-meet-putin-in-ukraine-peace-bid-sources/

Gerhard Schröder in Moscow to meet Putin in Ukraine peace bid: Sources

Former German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder is in Moscow to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday as part of a mediation effort to end the war in Ukraine, sources familiar with the matter told POLITICO.

Schröder has come under fierce criticism at home and abroad for refusing to sever his close ties to Moscow following Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. Even several of his office staff quit last week after he insisted on keeping his senior roles at Kremlin-linked energy giants Rosneft and Gazprom.

Schröder, a Social Democrat, served as German chancellor from 1998 to 2005. He has since enjoyed a lucrative business career thanks to his Russian energy roles.

Ukraine wanted to see if Schroeder could build a bridge for dialogue with Putin,” according to a person familiar with the matter.

Last week, Ukraine’s ambassador to Germany, Andrij Melnyk, suggested Schröder could try to mediate between Moscow and Kyiv.

German government officials said they had not been informed in advance of Schröder’s initiative.

==============

I mean, I guess its better than a pipeline...

but still...Gerhard? Now?

I feel like I should Fedex a box of my nastiest turds to Schroder just so I can personally tell  him to eat shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Defense analysts assume a multiplier of 3x KIA to get the numbered on injured troops. If you assume 7k russian KIA, add another 21k for wounded. Meaning an estimated 28k russian troops out of action, depending on the number of KIA.

And adding to the fumbling and bumbling propaganda mentioned by @atomheartbevohere's a visibly nervous Sergei Lavrov at his press conference this morning while making absurd claims.

Best response

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Well, Putin has said to go ahead with a nationalization plan. Foreign companies that leave will have their assets placed under “external management” (state corporations) and then they will be repackaged and “sold” at auction to the highest bidder.  If a bidder cannot be found, the state will buy them.

Putin to pissed off oligarchs: Here, this is what you get in exchange now shut up and get on board. 

I've been struggling to understand what productive use they can make of the business properties they appear to plan to seize. It's not like the components are manufactured in Russia. Would China ship Apple's IP to Russia? I don't think so, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot. Russia can't even open their stock market or manufacture automobiles - what can they do with the businesses they're talking about making state property?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

They are looking at a major artic lows cold snap the next few days or so and tanks are going to be frozen death traps for anyone that has to stay in them once they run out of fuel.

If they are having the level of supply shortages it seems like, it might be best to just "run out of gas" on patrol and ditch the tank and go try and hole up somewhere warm for a week or so and the neither go back to your own lines or just desert.

Whatever fuel shortages they are having now, is going to be amped up as everybody runs their heaters 24/7.

So yeah, just as the ground refreezes and could help the move, it'll be too fucking cold to stay in the vehicles.

8 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

I've been struggling to understand what productive use they can make of the business properties they appear to plan to seize. It's not like the components are manufactured in Russia. Would China ship Apple's IP to Russia? I don't think so, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot. Russia can't even open their stock market or manufacture automobiles - what can they do with the businesses they're talking about making state property?

And not only that, but this is making sure that it will be a long time before Western companies come back to Russia, because many of them will be thinking "well, how long until we have to leave the country again and get our assets seized?"

All the financial outlet are saying the Russian stock market extended their closure yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

That McDonald's in Moscow will be serving up carney burgers in a week or two.  

13 minutes ago, Chopper said:

First comment:

Probably thinking from which direction will I get shot from

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

And not only that, but this is making sure that it will be a long time before Western companies come back to Russia, because many of them will be thinking "well, how long until we have to leave the country again and get our assets seized?"

All the financial outlet are saying the Russian stock market extended their closure yesterday.

Someone Who Isn't Me can confirm that this is absolutely the case.

In fact, Someone Who Isn't Me has been on multiple calls lately where the sentence "well, how long until we have to leave the country again and get our assets seized?" has been asked.

And if I didn't know very certainly that that Someone Who Isn't Me wasn't you, I would think it was - in fact - you, given how accurate this statement is.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This.  Want to set Russia back for a generation or more?  That's how you do it.

Also, to the extent that the Russian government and oligarchs seize the assets of western countries, if those countries will have any recourse against the assets of Russian oligarchs abroad that have been frozen.  A swap, if you will.  Yuri Badenov, you can have my factory.....I'll cover the loss by seizing your yacht, 2 Italian villas, and the $400 million in cash you had stashed in western banks.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Captainant said:

With the recent talk of disinformation, I just read an interesting article that's been tracking qanon conspiracy and found a significant overlap with russian disinformation and techniques (link). Relevant excerpts below:

The loop of the russian government making suggestive statements, which are repeated and iterated on by mass media, and then further absurdified by smaller blogs, and then ultimately getting taken to crazy town by social media is eerily familiar. Thank god we're finally recognizing it as the information warfare that it is and taking steps to diminish its effect.

I continue to be amazed that anyone with two brain cells would believe that the US is working with Ukraine/Georgia to develop bioweapons or to help them build nuclear weapons. 

Why would we need either Georgia or Ukraine to help us develop bioweapons?  How does that benefit us exactly? And if we wanted either to have nukes, we would just give them to them. It's not like we are endanger of running out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I mean you knew some of that shit was going down but still…I say let the people of Ukraine deal with these traitors as they see fit. God only knows what they allowed to happen…

Good way to get rid of your shitty neighbor who keeps blocking your driveway...

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Oh, there’s plenty of hard assets in Russia to grab onto.  It’s not just store fronts.  For example, Volkswagen Auto Group has a massive Skoda plant in Kaluga, including engines, that cranks out all your favorite VW platform shared cars, most Skodas but also Audis.  Plenty of Western companies have purchased mining equipment manufacturers. Hell, don’t joke about McDonalds. Read up on how they entered Russia and built their massive brand from beef processing plants to stores. 

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  Want to set Russia back for a generation or more?  That's how you do it.

Also, to the extent that the Russian government and oligarchs seize the assets of western countries, if those countries will have any recourse against the assets of Russian oligarchs abroad that have been frozen.  A swap, if you will.  Yuri Badenov, you can have my factory.....I'll cover the loss by seizing your yacht, 2 Italian villas, and the $400 million in cash you had stashed in western banks.

Putin has set back Russia generation or more but that doesn’t mean there isn’t money to be made in the scrapping. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Bravo said:

One of the most shocking things about all this the leadership, training and communication of the russian army. their tactics leave them open to mass losses, their logistics planning is causing columns to run out of gas and troops to starve, they leave communications over unsecure radio and cell phones. We all made this army to be out a lot more than it actually was for many decades now it looks.

I mean, it's what this meme was made for:

S_Posed_to_be_SEC.0.png

To be fair, there were some western analysts who pointed to the kind of problems we're seeing for a long time -- shitty leadership, low training, miserable logistics.  But Russian marketing (and legacy thinking from when they were the USSR) gave enough reason to worry.

But now.....imagine that Russia tried this shit with a NATO country, like Poland.  Is there any doubt that 1) NATO would have air supremacy within a couple of days, and there would be nowhere for Russian vehicles to hide?  I'm thinking it would be pretty damn close to a turkey shoot.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean, it's what this meme was made for:

S_Posed_to_be_SEC.0.png

To be fair, there were some western analysts who pointed to the kind of problems we're seeing for a long time -- shitty leadership, low training, miserable logistics.  But Russian marketing (and legacy thinking from when they were the USSR) gave enough reason to worry.

But now.....imagine that Russia tried this shit with a NATO country, like Poland.  Is there any doubt that 1) NATO would have air supremacy within a couple of days, and there would be nowhere for Russian vehicles to hide?  I'm thinking it would be pretty damn close to a turkey shoot.

Taking the nuclear option off the table, the Russian army would be completely decimated within a week. It has been kind of hard to believe how bad they are at war. 

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Oh, there’s plenty of hard assets in Russia to grab onto.  It’s not just store fronts.  For example, Volkswagen Auto Group has a massive Skoda plant in Kaluga, including engines, that cranks out all your favorite VW platform shared cars, most Skodas but also Audis.  Plenty of Western companies have purchased mining equipment manufacturers. Hell, don’t joke about McDonalds. Read up on how they entered Russia and built their massive brand from beef processing plants to stores. 

Do you believe they'll be able to get chips and all the necessary components to manufacture, as well as the equipment and parts to run those plants? (Not arguing but I'm skeptical.) Yesterday we read even Lada has had to shut down production because they can't get the parts they need to import. Also, will it even matter -- due to sanctions, will those businesses have customers with money?

10 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Putin has set back Russia generation or more but that doesn’t mean there isn’t money to be made in the scrapping. 

Oh, the vultures can always gorge.  But once the carcasses are picked clean........then comes the hungry times.

And having a net worth of $5 billion, but having to live the rest of your days in Russia only (maybe holidays in Belarussia, or Kazakstan!) is shit.  They want their flats in Londongrad, they want their Italian villas and mistresses.  And they pissed all of that away overnight.

10 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Do you believe they'll be able to get chips and all the necessary components to manufacture, as well as the equipment and parts to run those plants? (Not arguing but I'm skeptical.) Yesterday we read even Lada has had to shut down production because they can't get the parts they need to import. Also, will it even matter -- due to sanctions, will those businesses have customers with money?

In the short term, no. That doesn’t change the fact that a modern automobile factory is a really fucking valuable thing, that Russia will figure out how to build cars without the West, and that the Russian state will absorb the costs in finding that answer to the chip and other questions while the new owner will be making money after it does. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Just confirming the intentions of what everyone knows already.

Works out well since the last time that tank was serviced properly was in 1990Works out well since the last time that tank was serviced properly was in 1990

20 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I continue to be amazed that anyone with two brain cells would believe that the US is working with Ukraine/Georgia to develop bioweapons or to help them build nuclear weapons. 

Why would we need either Georgia or Ukraine to help us develop bioweapons?  How does that benefit us exactly? And if we wanted either to have nukes, we would just give them to them. It's not like we are endanger of running out. 

The whole idea of bio weapons is stupid anyway.

Infectious diseases are the most frightening because they can spread long after the initial attack. But that also makes them difficult to contain and imprecise. How do you prevent the disease from going pandemic and fucking your own population over? Mass preemptive vaccines? Ha. Good fucking luck with that.

And non-infectious diseases, although a frightening way to die, are less effective than just blowing shit up with conventional arms. And is anthrax really more gruesome than being blown to bits?

• Like 1