Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-1-23-23/h_961948d94643281489828da4867b026f

The Kremlin has said that Ukraine will bear the consequences if third countries supply it with tanks, amid growing pressure on Germany to dispatch advanced weaponry to Kyiv.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov warned the ongoing debate over sending German-made Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine suggests that the “nervousness among the members of the alliance is constantly growing.” 

“All the countries that directly or indirectly take part in the pumping [of Ukraine] with weapons and in raising their technological level, are all responsible for it,” Peskov said Monday.

Violin Player GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

^

Yeah, I guess by this point I should realize it's just market norms...but I am consistently blown away by how little these people get in return for risking so much, and selling out so many. 

I don't want to get all McCarthy Hearings on the situation, but there was a time all these Russian assets in our government would have been weeded out and at least imprisoned, if not executed.   But now, they're mere footnotes to be denied.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

7 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Former head of the FBI counterintelligence task force.

31 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Firing squad

he was the top counterintelligence agent in the NYC field office and led the 2016 probe between the former president and russia. McGonigal was also indicted for money laundering and sanctions violations on behalf of Oleg Deripaska, who somehow was exempted from the sanctions package in 2018 as well.

Nothing to see here....

On a more conflict related note, Radio Free Europe continues to release some incredible reporting. I just finished my semi-annual relisten on Hardcore History's "Countdown to Armageddon" WWI series, and it's remarkable how similar the current conflict is to much of the firsthand conditions noted in recovered and published journals from soldiers on the eastern front

Those are some tough motherfucking Ukrainians, it looks like absolute hell out there constantly getting shelled from any direction and listening for the whir of a drone

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Isn't a lot of this stuff pretty much in theater by the time it is announced? This would jive with the videos of Abrams on trains headed through eastern Europe. 

Yup that's what I've been thinking. Typically by the time it's announced here in the US as the next phase, it's already happening.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Isn't a lot of this stuff pretty much in theater by the time it is announced? This would jive with the videos of Abrams on trains headed through eastern Europe. 

Yeah there has been some on Twitter of gear heading east through Germany or Poland. Those could just be for other exercises though. 

So, there's the big summit a couple days ago, Germany changes their stance to say that other countries can send Leopards, but they hold strong on saying they won't send any until the US sends Abrams, other countries announce that they're sending Leopards, we will shortly announce that we already have Abrams in the field, and Germany is left holding their dicks and having no option but to send Leopards (without 100% signaling that they want to be friends with Russia again). That about sum it up? Pretty masterful if that turns out to be how it all shakes out. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

So, there's the big summit a couple days ago, Germany changes their stance to say that other countries can send Leopards, but they hold strong on saying they won't send any until the US sends Abrams, other countries announce that they're sending Leopards, we will shortly announce that we already have Abrams in the field, and Germany is left holding their dicks and having no option but to send Leopards (without 100% signaling that they want to be friends with Russia again). That about sum it up? Pretty masterful if that turns out to be how it all shakes out. 

I guess Biden is going all in, cost wise. It'll be interesting to see if we are sending our Abrams or transferring them via a third party nation.  It makes a difference from a Pentagon book keeping perspective. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Yeah there has been some on Twitter of gear heading east through Germany or Poland. Those could just be for other exercises though. 

What type of Abrams would we be sending? As far as I know, the DU armor used in the non-export models is still considered sensitive and places like Saudi Arabia and Egypt do not get those features. I'm guessing these must be older M1A1s that have not be retrofitted with the "new" (as of the late 80s) armor? Presumably also not getting the DU rounds? So, are we sending older M1A1s that we have storage OR was there some arrangement with our export partners where the export versions from Iraq, Egypt, or Saudi Arabia are being sent over? 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

What type of Abrams would we be sending? As far as I know, the DU armor used in the non-export models is still considered sensitive and places like Saudi Arabia and Egypt do not get those features. I'm guessing these must be older M1A1s that have not be retrofitted with the "new" (as of the late 80s) armor? Presumably also not getting the DU rounds? So, are we sending older M1A1s that we have storage OR was there some arrangement with our export partners where the export versions from Iraq, Egypt, or Saudi Arabia are being sent over? 

Does it matter? Our 1980's crap destroyed Iraqi T-72's and T-80's. Give them our older shit with the up bored 120mm and let them go hunting. 

I think we will end up giving other allies more modern equipment, but right now the key is show the EU we are not fucking around. 

And add the leopards. Add the Bradley's and Marders. Toss in a few Challengers. Why not a LeClerc or 12. That makes up multiple spearheads. 

Yay! 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

Does it matter? Our 1980's crap destroyed Iraqi T-72's and T-80's. Give them our older shit with the up bored 120mm and let them go hunting. 

I think we will end up giving other allies more modern equipment, but right now the key is show the EU we are not fucking around. 

And add the leopards. Add the Bradley's and Marders. Toss in a few Challengers. Why not a LeClerc or 12. That makes up multiple spearheads. 

Yay! 

It is good either way, but I'd be interested to know where these tanks are coming from. I assume any of our older M1A1s in storage would have to be refurbished in order to get fully operational whereas a deal with our partners could probably get functional tanks to Ukraine more quickly. And, if these are export M1A2s, they'd have a few more modern capabilities than M1A1s in storage. But, it is important to keep in mind that the export models have been destroyed in pretty significant numbers in Saudi Arabia and Iraq (partly due to poor tactics). The DU armor and other features add a lot to capability and survivability. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It is good either way, but I'd be interested to know where these tanks are coming from. I assume any of our older M1A1s in storage would have to be refurbished in order to get fully operational whereas a deal with our partners could probably get functional tanks to Ukraine more quickly. And, if these are export M1A2s, they'd have a few more modern capabilities than M1A1s in storage. But, it is important to keep in mind that the export models have been destroyed in pretty significant numbers in Saudi Arabia and Iraq (partly due to poor tactics). The DU armor and other features add a lot to capability and survivability. 

Call KBR and have them drop off their APS boats in Poland. Train Ukranians there, then orc hunting time. 

• Hook 'Em 2