Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Lot of chatter that the Russians who invaded Russia have dug in and picked an area where they have rivers flanking them, knowing that the Russian Army's main bridging/boating equipment is tied up in Ukraine.

I don't see how they pull this off, but it's going to fuck hard with the Russian leadership (and multiple people will be fired (out of a window)) and could suck up a lot of Russian resources that would normally be deployed in Ukraine (either as reserves or assault units - I'd imagine Moscow is not asking the recently mobilized to liberate Belgorod).

Captain America Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Just a reminder about who we're dealing with up in Belgorod. Such an odd situation.

I saw that earlier, ironically, the Russians have been invaded by Neo Nazi's, only it's their own Neo Nazi's.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Walser said:

welp that's not bonerific

Get ready for more of this, if Russia is to start breaking at the seams, there are going to be guys majorly involved that you won't like.  Russia is flat full of warlords, gangsters, and extremists of all walks, and Putin has worked to put these kind of guys in positions of power and influence primarily because they are thuggish idiots that thus far have been easy for him to placate.  When it goes bad, it's going to be a shit show.  

In many ways, this is very reminiscent of the FARC in Colombia.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Get ready for more of this, if Russia is to start breaking at the seams, there are going to be guys majorly involved that you won't like.  Russia is flat full of warlords, gangsters, and extremists of all walks, and Putin has worked to put these kind of guys in positions of power and influence primarily because they are thuggish idiots that thus far have been easy for him to placate.  When it goes bad, it's going to be a shit show.  

So Russia proper is pretty much like every breakaway state from the USSR. I think if Russia continues to shit the bed, we can deal with it.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This. We’re hopeful that there are nascent western style democratic leaders over there, just waiting for us to create enough of a breather that democracy can take root. But last time we did that we got the drunkard Yeltsin and eventually Putin. Really what we have is a bunch of wannabe Putins running around. It’s not that they don’t like the oligarchy and corruption, it’s just that they didn’t get theirs in this version. So they want to take out those in charge now and so they can sit on top.

But right now for Ukraine, the enemy of my enemy is my friend where it’s win or be eliminated.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

GUYS. This is amazing. I joined NAFO. Asked them to make...

👈 The Winslow... (my avatar here, there, everywhere)

... into a Fella.

They outdid themselves. BEHOLD!

FE8D08C6-9533-448F-907D-245FAAD4298C.thumb.png.5ea029df34164388b15c8d7a819ed859.png

it's perfection

Nice! I've asked some to make me one, but alas, no luck so far. I'm sure I am just doing it wrong.

I guess I could just not be lazy and make my own. But I'm pretty lazy.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Parliament said:

I'm totally glad they did it, but do we worry about downrange repercussions of helping a buncha political radicals destabilize Russia? We've read this book before.

To be clear, I'm glad we helped these guys. Very glad.

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

So Russia proper is pretty much like every breakaway state from the USSR. I think if Russia continues to shit the bed, we can deal with it.   

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

This. We’re hopeful that there are nascent western style democratic leaders over there, just waiting for us to create enough of a breather that democracy can take root. But last time we did that we got the drunkard Yeltsin and eventually Putin. Really what we have is a bunch of wannabe Putins running around. It’s not that they don’t like the oligarchy and corruption, it’s just that they didn’t get theirs in this version. So they want to take out those in charge now and so they can sit on top.

But right now for Ukraine, the enemy of my enemy is my friend where it’s win or be eliminated.

Yeah, I have a feeling this was the concern of the more conservative faction within the White House/State Department - that the devil we know (Putin) is better than the one we don't know, and maybe their preference was to help Ukraine enough to get back to the 2022 borders, and maybe even part of the 2013 borders, but don't do enough that leads to Putin being out of power.

When Putin dies or is pushed out of power in some way, might as well start trucking shitloads of antacids (or booze) to the capitols of various European countries as well as the US.  At least when shit hit the fan in the late 80s/early 90s, there was enough of the Soviet infrastructure in place, plus a lot of parties interested in stability within and outside of the USSSR, that the nukes were taken care of.  Putin has eliminated so many people, and is left with Yes Men like Shoigu, my gut says the nuke situation will be bad. And there will be basically warlords looking to get the nukes and then negotiate with the West or whoever for recognition (or money).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Several things I'll say in response. First, everyone should keep these nutjobs at arms length. They have no chance of actually succeeding with anything. There's no strategy. This isn't incipient guerilla warfare. This is a weekend joyride with no overall concept of how it's going to end.

At most, it will help Ukraine with the counter-offensive, as Russia will have to pull troops back to keep in reserve - this is absolutely embarrassing to Putin, and I can't wait to see if the talking heads on Russian state TV are losing their shit or downplaying it.  At worst, it's a blip. While it would be great if some republics watched the response to this and then got it in their heads to breakaway, I don't expect a lot right now, but it'll be fun to see the Russians spin it.

Second, Russia isn't going to produce a leader who isn't some kind of radical by Western standards. It's not in their cultural DNA. All they know is horrific strongmen who massacre their countrymen and neighbors, only to eventually be replaced by the same and then adored for being so strong of a leader. I guess maybe an invasion and outright long term occupation, but that's not going to happen, and even if it did, we're showing we can't do effective occupations any more. But that's really a silly point. We're not occupying Russia. Ever. 

Honestly, this is right up Putin's playbook. He secured his power by poisoning, jailing, exiling, and otherwise getting rid of any political opponent who had a realistic chance of garnering more popular support than him, but kept the opposition nutjobs that made him look sane by comparison. But make no mistake. Even the reasonable opposition in many ways speaks in a language that would make everyone here uncomfortable in some way. That's Russia for you.

This is a diversion, and an embarrassment to Russia that it's even allowed to occur. But beyond that it doesn't have any long term value. Mind you, that's enough, but we shouldn't have any expectations about it.

I disagree with a lot of what Peter Zeihan says sometimes, but I agree with him that, at most, there's maybe 200-300 people inside of Russia who could take over and maybe keep things running - basically what you said, Putin eliminating anybody that could present a threat to him.  As Zeihan says, here in the US, we have thousands of people who could run the country, because they have experience within the corporate world (CEOs, CFOs, presidents/VPs, etc.), athletics/academia (school heads, general managers, etc.), politics (mayoral, state governors/lt. gov's, House and Senate members, etc.) etc. - basically a lot of people who are familiar with various aspects of running a government or large organization at some level that are needed, plus our 225 years+ of a relatively stable government with heavy institutional knowledge that would help guide those people.

Russia?  Their institutional knowledge of their government is either left over from the Soviet days, or is non-existent or very young (since the 1990s), and whatever they were building after the Soviet Union fell, Putin has come in and gutted or reshaped it so that there's no threat from those below him. As far as the people part of the equation, their best and brightest don't necessarily rise to the top, it's the most ruthless or the crookedest (or both), which is why so many compare Russia to a mafia state. Their business leaders/oligarchs didn't come up through the various institutional systems like in the West, and then work their way up the ladder, a lot of them were simply in the right place at the right time in the 1990s to seize upon an opportunity, and/or were crooked enough to exploit the disarray that fell upon the Soviet Union.

And we sure as heck shouldn't connect ourselves to it.

I still like the fact that as much as I hated the Humvee when I was in, it was the first modern American military vehicle to invade Russia.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, I have a feeling this was the concern of the more conservative faction within the White House/State Department - that the devil we know (Putin) is better than the one we don't know, and maybe their preference was to help Ukraine enough to get back to the 2022 borders, and maybe even part of the 2013 borders, but don't do enough that leads to Putin being out of power.

When Putin dies or is pushed out of power in some way, might as well start trucking shitloads of antacids (or booze) to the capitols of various European countries as well as the US.  At least when shit hit the fan in the late 80s/early 90s, there was enough of the Soviet infrastructure in place, plus a lot of parties interested in stability within and outside of the USSSR, that the nukes were taken care of.  Putin has eliminated so many people, and is left with Yes Men like Shoigu, my gut says the nuke situation will be bad. And there will be basically warlords looking to get the nukes and then negotiate with the West or whoever for recognition (or money).

I Pity The Fool GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

ok things are getting interesting now.

Somewhat matches up with the map from above.  Also, if the Russian MOD is using stock footage and claiming they eliminated the "invaders", that means that they don't know what's going on and haven't pushed them out, otherwise we'd see actual footage and/or they'd be showing bodies, IDs, etc.

Fw0H_dQWIAMRaLm?format=jpg&name=medium

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Still some pain...Russian MOD using stock footage and claiming that they had to use artillery and aviation assets inside of Russia, which sounds like some heavy duty fighting and not simple border patrol stuff.

If I ever try to lie to my wife from now on I am using an AI generation of this fucking guy, at least then she's well aware of what ever I am sayings ridiculous nature.  

• Haha 3

This is brilliant. Those dumb fuck orcs will have to pull whatever they have to Belhorod or risk the ukes going Leroy Jenkins straight to the kremlin..

This is the feint before they unleash hell in Crimea, kherson, etc.

Reminds me of Pattons offensive forcing the Germans to do the very same thing.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1