Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 hours ago, KYHorn said:

So Hungary is Moscow Aggy's cuck?  K...

Fog of war and such, but it seems like the offensive is moving slower than the armchair observer figured it would.  Reasons being they're being cautious, facing tougher resistance and/or armchair observers like me just don't understand. 

Still it's a fair discussion.  I'll remind the worrywarts that in July of 1945 the Allies were saying, "Christmas in Berlin."  We spent Christmas in Bastogne, and that's too bad.  But we didn't let the haters convince us we were wrong to enter WW2.

This is the same.  Setbacks don't negate the whole thing.

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

What. The. Fuck?

Wonder if it's misdirection of some sort, since there is some training going on.  Or if it's just the American side of the equation.

28 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Fog of war and such, but it seems like the offensive is moving slower than the armchair observer figured it would.  Reasons being they're being cautious, facing tougher resistance and/or armchair observers like me just don't understand. 

Ukraine hasn't come close to committing the bulk of their forces - it still seems to be lots of probing attacks (some of which succeed and are exploited as you'd expect), but also a lot of attempts at pulling Russian forces into artillery range.

There's also the matter of Ukraine destroying a lot of Russian ammo/fuel depots, and then waiting for the repercussions of that to trickle down to the forward units.  The armchair observers are used to American/Western "shock and awe" but the Ukrainians don't have the air support. However, when those Russian artillery batteries start to run low on ammo, it'll have the same effect as if they'd been destroyed from the air.

• Hook 'Em 4

“It’s not fair to punish individual Russian athletes and bar them from competition. Sport should be separated from politics!”
And how Russians separate sport from politics for seven year old rhythmic gymnast Sasha:
image.thumb.jpeg.672963a80111c199eb0d05d4f954c0a2.jpeg

If the Olympics were about sports and athletics than Russia wouldn’t feel the need to endorse state sponsored cheating.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I don't like the sound of this, especially since they were right about the dam.

From Reuters:

Ukraine spy chief accuses Russia of 'mining' cooling pond at Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant

KYIV, June 20 (Reuters) - Ukraine’s military intelligence chief accused Russia on Tuesday of “mining” the cooling pond used to keep the reactors cool at the Russian-occupied Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant in Ukraine’s south.

The vast six-reactor complex, Europe’s biggest nuclear plant, has been under occupation since shortly after Moscow’s forces invaded in February last year.

“...Most terrifying is that the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant was additionally mined during that time... namely the cooling pond was mined,” Kyrylo Budanov, head of the GUR agency, said on television, without providing evidence for his assertion.

Reuters has requested comment from the Russian defence ministry.

The two sides have accused each other of shelling the plant and its environs, and international efforts to establish a demilitarised zone around the complex have failed so far.

• Rage+1 4

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

So Hungary is Moscow Aggy's cuck?  K...

Still it's a fair discussion.  I'll remind the worrywarts that in July of 1945 the Allies were saying, "Christmas in Berlin."  We spent Christmas in Bastogne, and that's too bad.  But we didn't let the haters convince us we were wrong to enter WW2.

This is the same.  Setbacks don't negate the whole thing.

Last week, atomheartbevo noted reports that the Russians had more first line defenders than expected, and quoted speculation that Russia put more of its troops in the first line. 

What we have learned, since then, is Russia has a tactic of using disposable troops, untrained and poorly armed, to serve as targets so they can sight in on Ukrainian positions. 

Calling this tactic “medieval” is an insult to the English army at Crecy. It is effective. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I don't like the sound of this, especially since they were right about the dam.

From Reuters:

Ukraine spy chief accuses Russia of 'mining' cooling pond at Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant

KYIV, June 20 (Reuters) - Ukraine’s military intelligence chief accused Russia on Tuesday of “mining” the cooling pond used to keep the reactors cool at the Russian-occupied Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant in Ukraine’s south.

The vast six-reactor complex, Europe’s biggest nuclear plant, has been under occupation since shortly after Moscow’s forces invaded in February last year.

“...Most terrifying is that the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant was additionally mined during that time... namely the cooling pond was mined,” Kyrylo Budanov, head of the GUR agency, said on television, without providing evidence for his assertion.

Reuters has requested comment from the Russian defence ministry.

The two sides have accused each other of shelling the plant and its environs, and international efforts to establish a demilitarised zone around the complex have failed so far.

If it is mined and there was a minor meltdown, what would happen next?

Edited by Bevo

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

What. The. Fuck?

Where the training is going to take place?  Whuh?

How about the sky?

Man, this delay is puzzling.  This should have been gamed out weeks, even months ago.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If it is mined and there was a minor meltdown, what would happen next?

I didn't take nukes in college, but I am a child of the 80s and remember Peter Jennings walking us through the Chernobyl disaster in near real-time. Oh, yeah, and there was that show on HBO.

Upthread there was some discussion about the reservoir going dry, and I think most of it had been cooled down. But still, I don't want to find out.

This guy has been clowned before for some of his takes on the war, but he thinks the destruction of that big ammo dump in Rykove will mean Russia will be severely rationing artillery shells in the south for the next several weeks, which should open the door for Ukraine to advance. Says that Russian lines won't do much to stop Ukraine without artillery support. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I didn't take nukes in college, but I am a child of the 80s and remember Peter Jennings walking us through the Chernobyl disaster in near real-time. Oh, yeah, and there was that show on HBO.

Upthread there was some discussion about the reservoir going dry, and I think most of it had been cooled down. But still, I don't want to find out.

I'm talking more about how NATO would response. Mining an offline nuclear plant is pretty much equivalent to a tactical nuke. https://www.commondreams.org/news/zaporizhzhia-nuclear-power-plant-ukraine-russia-may-2023

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, statsman said:

Last week, atomheartbevo noted reports that the Russians had more first line defenders than expected, and quoted speculation that Russia put more of its troops in the first line. 

What we have learned, since then, is Russia has a tactic of using disposable troops, untrained and poorly armed, to serve as targets so they can sight in on Ukrainian positions. 

Calling this tactic “medieval” is an insult to the English army at Crecy. It is effective. 

As has been said before, a good portion of their professional, trained troops are gone. Dead. The vast majority of what they do have are poorly trained and equipped mobiks. It makes sense that we're seeing them on the front lines.

25 minutes ago, statsman said:

NewTemplates i beg your pardon sire won t we hit our own troops Memes & GIFs  - Imgflip

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I really really want Ukraine to make Russia pay for destroying the dam, by establishing a bridgehead over the Dnipro at one or more points and crossing the dry lake bed. According to the fortification maps, Russia really has no defenses all the way along the shore of what used to be the lake. If enough Ukrainian forces could do it, they could flank/get behind the de facto end of Russian lines at Vasylivka, have no mines to deal with, and get the Russians in crossfire. That should start collapsing the lines nicely.

AND, Ukraine would be able to engage at the ZPP if they believe they can secure it (Ukraine has a tough choice of whether to just let Russia abandon the plant when the counteroffensive approaches, which would risk Russia trying to blow it on its way out the door, OR try to take it by force to prevent russian fuckery.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, statsman said:

It would explain why Ukrainians are able to get into rear areas and catch the Russians off guard.  It would also explain why Russia is using VBIEDs.  Loading up a tank with explosives and hoping to get it into Ukrainian lines is the equivalent of throwing shit on a wall and seeing what sticks. And now they’ve lost a major ammo dump and the rails were wiped out.

Kind of feels like we are waiting for the other shoe to drop in terms of that massive ammo and fuel dump - like the Kerch bridge or something.

• Hook 'Em 5

36 minutes ago, texastough said:

This guy has been clowned before for some of his takes on the war,

That and he was a serious election denier and believed some other batshit conspiracy theories.  

36 minutes ago, texastough said:

but he thinks the destruction of that big ammo dump in Rykove will mean Russia will be severely rationing artillery shells in the south for the next several weeks,

It will. It wiped out the rails too, which can be repaired over time, but even if repaired, they are still lacking the actual storage  that blew up.  

The bigger issue for the Russians though is that whatever hit it can easily hit it again

• Hook 'Em 3