Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

That's the vessel that russia uses to recover sunk ships, so this is a major reduction in naval capabilities for a very long time. Crazy that she was laid down by the Tsar's navy and presently is getting targeted by modern cruise missiles

Laid down the year Titanic sank. Two years before WWI started. Crazy indeed.
  • Hook 'Em 7

I want to add:

A) Even if it takes a few weeks for deliveries to get to Ukraine. It gives them a timeline. They probably have been hoarding munitions as much as possible, these can now be released to the front line immediately

B) REPO it does set a precedent. It sets a precedent to tell China exactly the financial impact they will be facing if they fuck with Taiwan. We wouldn't even need to seize assets. Just stopping the interest payments on the debt would cripple them (wouldn't be real great for us either). Something neither country would want. And keeps the status quo

Edited by Jameslaw121
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I hadn’t thought about it until now but this could be part of the delay depending on the composition of these reserves. How many bonds will have to be sold? Interest rates are a concern. 

Also, which European banks hold these? Liquidating or moving $300B around can adversely affect banks’ health given that it’s a fractional reserve system.  

Don't give this mole anything.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I am for seizing Russian assets, but the Europeans are going to be loathe to do so, but are slowly coming around.  The only argument I can see for sitting on those assets would be as a bargaining chip if we thought we might get a new Russian leader more amenable to real negotiations.  Releasing those funds in exchange for better terms for Ukraine. 

That isn’t on the horizon. Spend the money. A compromise that might get the Euros on board would be to earmark it for reconstruction that European firms could bid on which would be hilarious and cool.  

Yep, similar to Bosnia. A single fund, run by the High Commissioner's office, needing approval from the big donors for projects. And with all those layers, progress was pretty fast and cool to see. Not one cent could go to military. The police only for equipment, but most of that came from the UN or other groups.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, similar to Bosnia. A single fund, run by the High Commissioner's office, needing approval from the big donors for projects. And with all those layers, progress was pretty fast and cool to see. Not one cent could go to military. The police only for equipment, but most of that came from the UN or other groups.

How much corruption - ie misplaced funds?

18 minutes ago, Bevo said:

How much corruption - ie misplaced funds?

I was not part of it, but do not recall any announcements. If anything people got pissed because they COULD NOT get away with shit. Corrupt judges were fired, etc.

There was a lot of oversight. It was never a Bosnian put in charge. I think only EU citizens ran it. Again, I was not part of it. I was way down in the weeds.

And I am not saying this is the solution. I am saying groups like this have been done before under EU/US leadership and guidance. To be honest, who the fuck cares about any other groups, maybe the Japanese, Koreans and Aussies get onboard. India? Go fuck a goat.

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I was not part of it, but do not recall any announcements. If anything people got pissed because they COULD NOT get away with shit. Corrupt judges were fired, etc.

There was a lot of oversight. It was never a Bosnian put in charge. I think only EU citizens ran it. Again, I was not part of it. I was way down in the weeds.

And I am not saying this is the solution. I am saying groups like this have been done before under EU/US leadership and guidance. To be honest, who the fuck cares about any other groups, maybe the Japanese, Koreans and Aussies get onboard. India? Go fuck a goat.

I was just curious. It seems like when billions are available for a reconstruction project run by politicians, graft seems rampant.

Edited by Bevo

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I was just curious. It seems like when billions are available for a reconstruction project run by politicians, graft seems rampant.

It was run by a central agency who answered to the internationals. Bosnia could request funds, for say teacher salaries. It would be discussed and if approved, funded.

Again, not the same model for Ukraine, very different situations, but it existed, was supported, and provided central oversight. It kept the politicians out of it. A lot more administrative, etc. Bunch of damn finance people and engineers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

It was run by a central agency who answered to the internationals. Bosnia could request funds, for say teacher salaries. It would be discussed and if approved, funded.

Again, not the same model for Ukraine, very different situations, but it existed, was supported, and provided central oversight. It kept the politicians out of it. A lot more administrative, etc. Bunch of damn finance people and engineers.

So not the IOC.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, B00M said:

I feel like Greece has sent a significant amount given their size and location. Spain is basically as far from the conflict as possible, what’s their fucking deal? 

Spaniards are overly represented in this conflict for two reasons.  many of them still remember what it was like to suffer under totalitarian fascism (If you're over 55, you remember vividly)...and they don't wish that on anyone.  And as a descendent of many relatives from Spain, like the Starks…they always Remember.  And there’s a “the Moops” invasion tie-in here somewhere as well.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Do we just send them our old stuff and surplus stuff or do we send them more of what they need? I've bitched about accounting in the past but with where we are now, I hope we are putting a low value on artillery that is past or near expiration. $60 Billion can go a long way if we value artillery at $9.95ea. Fuck replacement cost.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Do we just send them our old stuff and surplus stuff or do we send them more of what they need? I've bitched about accounting in the past but with where we are now, I hope we are putting a low value on artillery that is past or near expiration. $60 Billion can go a long way if we value artillery at $9.95ea. Fuck replacement cost.

Buy in bulk and they are Tree Fiddy a unit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

I thought Greece was in NATO (along with Turkey). Member states can attack each other?

If any two would, it is these two. They both joined in 1952 and have almost gone at it a few times. Cyprus being the big one that jumps to my mind.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

Approximately $16 billion is actually going to the Ukranians. Most of it is DIB spending. It's a normal bill, loaded up with pork. 

House Approves Long-Stalled Ukraine Aid Over Angry GOP Objections - WSJ

Wonder if Elon Musk will stand up for Meta...

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2024/04/22/russia-sentences-meta-spokesman-to-jail-in-absentia-for-terrorism-a84925

A Russian court has sentenced Meta spokesman Andy Stone to six years in prison in absentia on “terrorism” charges linked to the company’s wartime content moderation policy, the independent Mediazona news website reported Monday.

Stone was charged with the “promotion,” “public calls for” and “justification” of terrorism after his March 2022 announcement that the Facebook and Instagram parent company would temporarily lift its ban on violent speech for comments against the “Russian invaders” of Ukraine.  Moscow’s Second Western Military Garrison Court on Monday found Stone guilty of the “justification of terrorism” and handed him a six-year sentence in a high-security prison in absentia, according to Mediazona.

If any two would, it is these two. They both joined in 1952 and have almost gone at it a few times. Cyprus being the big one that jumps to my mind.

Greeks and Turks have a grudge going back until at least 1071. Really longer. Battle of Manzikert says, “Hi!”

People in that neck of the woods have really long memories for holding grudges, but not so great on recalling their own grudge inducing activities.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Greeks and Turks have a grudge going back until at least 1071. Really longer. Battle of Manzikert says, “Hi!”

People in that neck of the woods have really long memories for holding grudges, but not so great on recalling their own grudge inducing activities.

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I'll gladly take a shopping basket full of those Benji's off that person's hands...

19 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

The $21 billion is current period operations for units within the EUCOM AO. After the invasion, we activated a bunch of units and sent them over, combat units in particular. Of course they were not funded through regular order, so they are using these types of supplementals to fund those guys. Probably.

The security assistance is direct military aid in the form of military materiel.

The "replenish stocks" is DIB/MIC stuff. Big 5 military contractors getting rich. Which I agree with sort of, but this is not the right way to do it. 

The loan forgiveness is............interesting. I don't know what is in the bill, and I can't say more but if I did some people here would lose their minds. I'd really like to know what that is.

Israel gets $13 billion for "defense activities"?  $6 billion for "deterrence" to Indopac? 

Of the $95 billion, there is about $28 billion of direct assistance, of which $9 billion is humanitarian.

Again, you haven't been paying attention.

We give Ukraine old equipment. That equipment has some value, even if depreciated, so that largely makes up the direct assistance column. When we do that, we create gaps in our inventory/capabilities that need to be replenished with new equipment. That is the DIB/MIC stuff. It is also a pre-requisite to the direct aid since the military doesn't want to lose something without some promise of it being replaced. The forgivable loans are the things that House leadership came up with to make the bill more palatable. They are, as stated, loans given to Ukraine that may or may not be forgiven in the future. Ukraine can use those loans to buy stuff from us (or maybe others, I haven't looked to see if there are limitations on their use). 

So, of the $60 billion for Ukraine, at least $39 billion is either going directly to Ukraine or enabling or ability to send resources to Ukraine. And, really, that number is higher since the $21 billion for European operations also enables our ability to provide Ukraine with equipment and intelligence. Again, where is the pork? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3