Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

26 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

This is good and all but the picture and the statements I saw earlier only show the command module.  It may give insights into capabilities but I think the good stuff is in the other part with the antennas that appears to be missing.  See the inset photo.

The reason it is two parts is so you can have some separation between them.  The antennas radiate and become targets themselves and the people manning it can be safer by staying away from the radiation of the equipment and the incoming missiles directed at it.  The antenna portion may have driven off or been destroyed.

Edit:  Seeing this makes me wonder why it is being publicized.  If it is that big of a prize they would scoot it out of the country secretly.  Advertising makes me wonder if they are playing cat and mouse.

There has to be some value in letting Pootie know we have it.

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

This ties into the video I posted earlier, disputing the meme of Russians not sending their best and brightest.

He posited that they are suffering such high losses among newer hardware, because the top-of-the-line units are heading up the assaults/doing the hardest fighting, which impacts their overall BTG capabilities.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

This is good and all but the picture and the statements I saw earlier only show the command module.  It may give insights into capabilities but I think the good stuff is in the other part with the antennas that appears to be missing.  See the inset photo.

The reason it is two parts is so you can have some separation between them.  The antennas radiate and become targets themselves and the people manning it can be safer by staying away from the radiation of the equipment and the incoming missiles directed at it.  The antenna portion may have driven off or been destroyed.

Edit:  Seeing this makes me wonder why it is being publicized.  If it is that big of a prize they would scoot it out of the country secretly.  Advertising makes me wonder if they are playing cat and mouse.

I wonder if it's being publicized because it's already out of the country.  Ukraine is a big European country, but it's smaller than Texas.  I'd assume it'd be a big priority and was thrown on a truck and driven to the border.  Depending on where it was captured, it could have been relatively easy.

And/or it could be safely on its way, and maybe they are trying to make the Russians freak out and try to get the other parts/systems out of harm's way, which could also mean they won't be used against Ukraine/NATO intelligence gathering.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Singled this tweet out from above.  This is dead-solid truth.

It's cold and machiavellian, but it's true.  The more Ukrainian fighting -- paid for with Ukrainian blood and shattered communities -- degrades Russia's ability to fight, the better we all are.  We owe Ukraine for doing our job for us, costing us only the cost of the weapons we're sending them.

They are going to need a Marshall Plan.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Heavenly punishment is always unexpected and can look different.

In one of the regions of Ukraine, units of 80 separate assault brigades of the Armed Forces of Ukraine successfully destroyed the enemy's anti-aircraft guns.

The saboteurs used various types of civilian transport to carry out sabotage and provocations in our rear towns and villages.

Destroyed tank of racists.

Mariupol. Graves of civilians on playgrounds.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

They are going to need a Marshall Plan.

And for the work they are doing in our interest - crippling a geopolitical foe - they'll deserve one.  And gee, a Marshall Plan builds deep connections and mutually beneficial trade relationships in the long-term: it's an investment that pays off.  Putin may have set the stage for a long-term turning of Ukraine to the west, to the benefit of the west and the ultimate cost to Russia.  It will be interesting to watch, from a "history in the making is cool" perspective.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

I can't remember which of the threads/articles that passed through here a couple of days ago about the shrinking circle of trust for Putin. Until it dawned on everybody that he hasn't been seen for a while he was considered to be one of his closest buds. Shoigu, and a couple of other guys were about it. He has been eliminating perceived threats for years. He is down to the ones with him in the bunker.

This ties into it - Frontline did a documentary/show this month called Putin's Road to War and this is Julia Ioffe's full interview (it was excerpted for the documentary, and in the documentary you don't hear her being asked questions).   It's long (45+ minutes),  You've probably seen her in the news Julia Ioffe was born in Russia and lived there in her early years, and has spent her life studying and talking/writing about it and she's been making the rounds since this started.

In the full interview, she starts with the weird-ass national security council briefing that Putin had televised before the invasion, where he dressed down one of the intelligence service heads..  She talks a lot about how this is resembling Stalin's purges and the Soviet Union in the 1930s and 1940s, and goes into detail about Putin's inner circle, and how it used to be really large, and had people that he had known for decades, that could push back when he pushed a bad idea, and the group had a lot of different opinions on various things, but these days he's basically surrounded by a very small circle of people that are Yes Men and only share his views. 

She talks about how all of the people in that weird-ass council meeting were all afraid of him.

She also talks about his paranoia - during the worst of COVID, he would have people who wanted to see him in person stay isolated in hotels for weeks (including I think the President of Kazakhstan among others) and people would get sprayed with a mist that would kill it, etc.

This is the really telling part, that she ends with ( @Brisketexan will appreciate this)

“What he has opened up with this invasion is unthinkable,” Ioffe tells FRONTLINE. “And because he is losing and because the sanctions and the Ukrainians are humiliating him, because he is backed into a corner, he is the most dangerous he has ever been, because it is now existential for him.” 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is the really telling part, that she ends with ( @Brisketexan will appreciate this)

“What he has opened up with this invasion is unthinkable,” Ioffe tells FRONTLINE. “And because he is losing and because the sanctions and the Ukrainians are humiliating him, because he is backed into a corner, he is the most dangerous he has ever been, because it is now existential for him.” 

Yep.  This gets back to the Sun Tzu "build your opponent a golden bridge," or the "give him an offramp" that is often a key to resolving any dispute.

The problem is, Putin's shittacular gamble and conduct has made it all but impossible to give him an offramp, or at least any offramp that he'd find acceptable.  For example, I think that giving Russia some "protectorate" role over Crimea, along with making Donbas a DMZ, with UN peacekeepers to ensure safety of all ethnicities therein, would be a "win."  But Putin won't see it that way, because those are not his goals at all.

His goal is "destroy Ukraine as an independent state."  That's pretty tough to bargain with.  "So, you want me to die, to cease to exist.  How about we compromise, and I just get really sick for a while?"  That doesn't work.

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

No shit.  They're finally figuring it might be a good idea to get rid of some of those Uke tractors that keep hauling off all their gear!

Yeah, but they're not even targeting them for that cool reason.  The Russian goal is to utterly destroy Ukraine as any sort of going concern.  Crippling one of its primary economic activities is a way to do that, and THAT'S the goal with this move.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  This gets back to the Sun Tzu "build your opponent a golden bridge," or the "give him an offramp" that is often a key to resolving any dispute.

The problem is, Putin's shittacular gamble and conduct has made it all but impossible to give him an offramp, or at least any offramp that he'd find acceptable.  For example, I think that giving Russia some "protectorate" role over Crimea, along with making Donbas a DMZ, with UN peacekeepers to ensure safety of all ethnicities therein, would be a "win."  But Putin won't see it that way, because those are not his goals at all.

His goal is "destroy Ukraine as an independent state."  That's pretty tough to bargain with.  "So, you want me to die, to cease to exist.  How about we compromise, and I just get really sick for a while?"  That doesn't work.

The other aspect that Zalenskyy himself mentioned, what if Putin honestly believe's there are Nazi's?  Is that not more scary?  That would make him so delusional negotiation is not remotely possible either.  

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Speaking of gambling, Ioffe has referred to Putin several times as really being "just a gambler who won big" and that he's not necessarily the manipulative genius that everybody likes to make him out to be.

She mentions in the video interview above how Putin was saying back in 2007 that the end of the Cold War was bad even though everybody in the West thought the Cold War being over was good, and that he was telling George W. Bush back then that Ukraine should not be its own country, that it was a part of Russia, etc. Basically, the KGB/Cold War mindset has never left him.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is a stretch, so stay with me here.  "If" there was a big shake up in the US, and Texas broke free (for example), and new leadership demanded it rejoin the "states" to bring the country back together, you'd see rhetoric akin to that of the Civil War and the rights for states sovereignty balanced with the cohesion of the Union.  

Not saying I agree, but that seems Putin's angle here.  Succession, etc.  I don't know...maybe it's a stretch?  He doesn't view or want Ukraine as a separate nation to exist.  Hard stop.  He wants the unification of the old Russian Empire, not just the cohesion of the USSR.  

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

The other aspect that Zalenskyy himself mentioned, what if Putin honestly believe's there are Nazi's?  Is that not more scary?  That would make him so delusional negotiation is not remotely possible either.  

I still think the Nazi thing is really just another of Putin's reasons for the war.  He's basically throwing shit on the wall and hoping something sticks - he's a gambler and just trying to guess what will help him sell the war to his own people.  It does sound like he ordered research into Ukraine's mindset and potential to resist, but it was bad.

And he publicly said he won't use conscripts (LOL), conscript more people, or call up the reserves, and the Nazi stuff is not enough to sell the public on calling up reserves or conscripting more people.

10 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Ukraine "had" a history of Nazi sympathizers, but this weak sauce no longer holds water (as we all know).  I think he's justified this so many times in his head, that this is a legitimate thought to him.  

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I still think the Nazi thing is really just another of Putin's reasons for the war.  He's basically throwing shit on the wall and hoping something sticks - he's a gambler and just trying to guess what will help him sell the war to his own people.  It does sound like he ordered research into Ukraine's mindset and potential to resist, but it was bad.

And he publicly said he won't use conscripts (LOL), conscript more people, or call up the reserves, and the Nazi stuff is not enough to sell the public on calling up reserves or conscripting more people.

Historically, wars get started over what in hindsight is really stupid shit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Agreed.  And that's why this has very little chance of ending anywhere close to "well".  Short of Ukraine surrendering to Putin and Russia, there is no off ramp for Putin.  He's backed into a corner and it's not going to get better for him.  He's losing men and equipment he cannot replace.  Period. 

Once the Russians start getting pushed back into Russia, he'll launch a tactical nuke.  Then....watch out, shit will get uglier than it's ever been. 

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Historically, wars get started over what in hindsight is really stupid shit.  

Yeah, but Putin was publicly denying there would be war almost all the way up to the invasion.  He wasn't in front of the UN with "evidence" of genocide against Russian speakers, or "evidence" of Nazis.  He just wasn't trying to sell it to the public like you normally would - he starts it and then tells the public that he's conducting a special military operation.  He didn't bother reading the room (of public support).

Edit: With Iraq in 2003, we all knew that there would be a war.  It was a classic example of trying everything possible to sell the public on the war and getting everybody on the same page.  

This?  Putin starts it when he wants to, and then tries to sell it afterward.  That's now backed Putin into a corner, because not having sold the public on the war, he's now going to have a harder time mobilizing reserves or pushing additional conscriptions.

This is the equivalent of a husband making a stupid mid-life crisis purchase, and then trying to sell it to his wife, who is not buying any of it.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Just now, DigglerontheHoof said:

Agreed.  And that's why this has very little chance of ending anywhere close to "well".  Short of Ukraine surrendering to Putin and Russia, there is no off ramp for Putin.  He's backed into a corner and it's not going to get better for him.  He's losing men and equipment he cannot replace.  Period. 

Once the Russians start getting pushed back into Russia, he'll launch a tactical nuke.  Then....watch out, shit will get uglier than it's ever been. 

The bolded is not wrong.

The two most likely "endings" to this are 1) horrific escalation by using nukes, or 2) Putin deposed (regime change), followed by some negotiated resolution that saves RUSSIAN face (not Putin face, but Russian face - those can be quite different).

I cannot tell you how many disputes I have been a part of, as a lawyer, where the other side was irrational, and scorched earth.  My client asks "when will they see the light?"  The answer is often "when the current leadership, which is personally invested in this course of action and blinded by their anger and frustration, is out, and a new regime takes over."  And that's exactly what happens.  Regime change, and within months, the dispute reaches a negotiated end.

None of my clients have ever been up against a completely disconnected narcissist with nukes, though.  So, that dynamic is new.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's not fair to say. Some folks will squawk, but I mean, he was found to be a Russian intelligence asset by a Republican led senate. If you have something worth posting here, well, I'd say post it if it's germane to the war. 

The God damn Germans got nothing to do......wait

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Ukraine "had" a history of Nazi sympathizers, but this weak sauce no longer holds water (as we all know).  I think he's justified this so many times in his head, that this is a legitimate thought to him.  

Am I wrong, or wasn't @Shady Ray on here weeks before the invasion discussing Germany's reluctance to arm Ukraine precisely because of the optics of German weapons ending up in Ukrainian forces adorned in Nazi and SS imagery.

39 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Extra long conference tables say Mad Vlad ain’t suicidal nor interested in being a martyr.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

9 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

The only off ramp I see is for him to declare victory.  He says he has crushed the Ukrainian Nazi threat and He pulls back into a controlling position of the Donbas and Luhansk territories which he says need Russian protection (basically annexes them).  He has to pull back into Crimea as well as he can't control beyond that territory.   He also strategically moves out of the other regions as they were needed to distract Ukraine from his only true goals but he never intended to conquer Ukraine.

So"Mission Accomplished" against the Nazi's and freeing the Russian people in Donbas and Luhansk!   Then he digs in and works on defending those borders he created.

Next is to let his sympathizers try and weasel Russia's way back into the world economy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ABSR said:

The only off ramp I see is for him to declare victory.  He says he has crushed the Ukrainian Nazi threat and He pulls back into a controlling position of the Donbas and Luhansk territories which he says need Russian protection (basically annexes them).  He has to pull back into Crimea as well as he can't control beyond that territory.   He also strategically moves out of the other regions as they were needed to distract Ukraine from his only true goals but he never intended to conquer Ukraine.

So"Mission Accomplished" against the Nazi's and freeing the Russian people in Donbas and Luhansk!   Then he digs in and works on defending those borders he created.

Next is to let his sympathizers try and weasel Russia's way back into the world economy.

Zero chance of that happening with Putin still in power.  There are far too many videos of dead children.  And that's the problem, even if there's a path to "success" for Russia, there's no such path for Putin.  How will he react to that?

Edited by utee94

Uh, Poland might be Polish.  But I think their nation is well aware of what happened between those two countries just 80 years ago.  

For such a genius, Putin seems to be playing a lotta stupid cards.  Is he eligible to run for office here? 

32 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Newsflash: Everyone basically outside of the Communist Party in Moscow had Nazi sympathizers. 
Here’s one of America’s great hero’s as well as  a former King of England:

36B4F5FF-124A-4418-96D5-229454059685.thumb.jpeg.2d22c284d2c2c5c76898da0623a8932f.jpeg

CEDEF1EB-8BF0-4D4A-A39D-A6669D4D5F36.jpeg

Edited by Bateshorn

125,000 Soviet troops voluntarily fought as Vlasov military personnel during WWII for Germany.   Against the USSR.  Never mind however many tens of thousands of eastern bloc Soviet territories were conscripted to fight with the Waffen SS in the latter years with very little complaint.  They knew what the Third Reich knew all too well, these people are shit.  Let the shit kill the rest of the shit.  That fucking bastion of land has been a zit on the ass of the Earth for centuries.  

Go on with this bullshit de-Nazification propaganda.  Maybe the stupid cable news people will buy it.  At least the Nazis knew how to get Russian garbage to take out other Russian garbage.  Just history folks.  Do your fucking homework.  They've been pitted against one another many times in human history.  

Putin's a genius.  Just protecting borders and getting back land that belongs to his people.  Do the future a favor, turn them on one another again.  Or we can keep pretending their lives matter.  They get the leadership they deserve.  We're stupid so we get stupid.  They're evil so they get evil.  Evil has consequences.  Let's get started with that process then, shall we? 

Edited by Lobo