Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

I'd love to watch that lady's head explode when asked, "Yes, China does have a great economy.  But then, how to you account for Western Europe and their free speech and open elections curb stomping the Russian economy?" 

Also, would.  Totally hate fuckable. 

Edited by Chad Fuck
Damn autocorrect

4 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Hey, Cunt Von Cunterson......the reason we know that Russia is NOT fighting a way against NATO is because there is still an existing Russian military in the west.  If Russia was facing just NATO air power alone......this would have been over before she wiped the last of Putin's spunk off her chin.

3 hours ago, MillerEP said:

^Good thread

That's actually fascinating, and probably not wrong. 

Russia has been waging a gov't sponsored disinfo campaign against the US for years.  Why in the hell aren't we doing the same?  Just create a few shell companies that own an ad agency, like, ummm, the Central Intelligent Advertising Agency, the CIAA.  Place a buttload of ads wherever they can showing facts and images from the war.  It's a lot of bang for your buck, information-wise.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Cleaning my fish tanks and still laughing. They lost their damn flagship. Don't care how Use this for full propaganda. A farmer swam out there with a limpet mine. Who cares. The Moscow (of all cities) is chugging back to it base to lick its wounds. Hammer it again once in port. Sink that fucker. 

Das_Boot_Alternate_Ending.gif.7b3c87032d4e5d1dda71aad86fd57b51.gif

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I know damage control is something the United States Navy takes particular pride in and is very good at.  You can look at any number of incidents, from missile strikes (Stark) to IED bombings (Cole) to various submarines that hit seamounts or Japanese fishing boats or whatever--and we didn't lose any of them due to capable damage control.

I'll defer to people who are more knowledgeable about it than I am.  But it seems to me that good damage-control processes only come with a lot of training and practice.  And as with the rest of the Russian military, I suspect this indicates a failure of training.  There's just no way that two missile strikes should cause a guided missile cruiser to sink in just a couple hours.

I think it was @blacklab or one of the other former Navy types on Surly that mentioned that the US Navy spends a crazy amount of time on training for damage control, even when they are out of port and on patrol.  We've had some serious accidents where I think the Russians would have lost their ships, but our Navy didn't.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Russia has been waging a gov't sponsored disinfo campaign against the US for years.  Why in the hell aren't we doing the same?  Just create a few shell companies that own an ad agency, like, ummm, the Central Intelligent Advertising Agency, the CIAA.  Place a buttload of ads wherever they can showing facts and images from the war.  It's a lot of bang for your buck, information-wise.

I would settle an actual  http://darkstar.cia.gov/  battlefield livefeed.  Clancy thought this shit up over 20 years ago and the twitter drone versions we are seeing are very compelling showing the damage in the cities and the destruction of the oppressors.

Also, no point in wasting another missile on the Moscow.  Is it out of action as a Russian asset for the foreseeable future?  Then that's a win.  You've taken it off the board; trying to gild the lily is just vanity.  It might be super fun and hilarious vanity, but a waste of resources and strategy just the same.

Take advantage of what the Black Sea looks like without the Moscow floating in it -- if you can fly aircraft missions now, do that.  If you have a much better shot at repelling any amphibious attack, do that (maybe even pre-emptively sink a few more landing craft while they're waiting around).

Ukraine has done a really good job of going for big-picture strategic wins where they can.  They should keep it up.  They are fighting this war exactly the right way.  I'm beyond impressed, both by their execution and their restraint.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hey, Cunt Von Cunterson......the reason we know that Russia is NOT fighting a way against NATO is because there is still an existing Russian military in the west.  If Russia was facing just NATO air power alone......this would have been over before she wiped the last of Putin's spunk off her chin.

That's actually fascinating, and probably not wrong. 

Serious answer? Russia’s style of information warfare is created of weakness and not strength. The cost/benefit to doing a covert propaganda campaign that WOULD be exposed is simply not there when you consider what “we” have that is completely on the up and up:

CNN, BBC, The Economist, Meduza.io, RFE/RL, Voice of America, endless independent online Russian language Telegram channels, OSINT tweeters.

Russia resorts to fake news because real news is bad for them and they have no reputation to ruin.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Google Lens translate on that last tweet.

image.png.4531e6af6296824d41b120d042e884fd.png

You know, did they look into a foam injected hull?  My buddy and I used to have an old Kenner with a foam-filled hull, and even that time we were super hungover and forgot to put in the plugs, the hull still floated.  Took on a lot of water, and got heavy as shit, so we'd have to get up on plane slowly as the water drained out the back, but we managed to fish a full day like that.  Because we were hungover and dumb and also probably still drinking -- so, we were practically Russian.

The Russians should do that for their next round of guided missile cruisers.  If it's good enough for hungover Brisketexan, it's probably good enough for the Russian navy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Serious answer? Russia’s style of information warfare is created of weakness and not strength. The cost/benefit to doing a covert propaganda campaign that WOULD be exposed is simply not there when you consider what “we” have that is completely on the up and up:

CNN, BBC, The Economist, Meduza.io, RFE/RL, Voice of America, endless independent online Russian language Telegram channels, OSINT tweeters.

Russia resorts to fake news because real news is bad for them and they have no reputation to ruin.

Oh, I'm not worried about how we need to communicate it....I'm wondering how to get it IN.  I'm sure CNN is blocked.  But if there are sites that AREN'T blocked, and you can put ads on those sites, then you can get the information in front of Russian eyes.  I thought that was the point of the strategy he was suggesting.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

😆

I'm consistently impressed by the accuracy of some of the Ukrainian twitter sources. They were spot on despite reports from Russia, USA, and media outlets that it had not sunk.

Edited by KYHorn

1 minute ago, KYHorn said:

I'm consistently impressed by the accuracy of some of the Ukrainian twitter sources. They were spot on despite reports from Russia, USA, and media outlets that it had not sunk.

Yeah, in the last US press briefing they were saying it was under its own power back to port, which is wildly off if it sunk while being towed. 

1 minute ago, MillerEP said:

Yeah, in the last US press briefing they were saying it was under its own power back to port, which is wildly off if it sunk while being towed. 

Most likely it was trying to get there, then needed a tow, then sunk in the port.

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, I'm not worried about how we need to communicate it....I'm wondering how to get it IN.  I'm sure CNN is blocked.  But if there are sites that AREN'T blocked, and you can put ads on those sites, then you can get the information in front of Russian eyes.  I thought that was the point of the strategy he was suggesting.

Facebook is blocked in Russia now. Basically any of the portals that might be used to do this are blocked at this point and there’s no use running anti-Russia ads on a Russia approved portal.  And the days of using ads on Facebook to spread disinfo are gone anyway, now it’s mostly closed groups that host inauthentic users.  Facebook adapted and so did the trolls. 

Just now, 956 Worldwide said:

Facebook is blocked in Russia now. Basically any of the portals that might be used to do this are blocked at this point and there’s no use running anti-Russia ads on a Russia approved portal.  And the days of using ads on Facebook to spread disinfo are gone anyway, now it’s mostly closed groups that host inauthentic users.  Facebook adapted and so did the trolls. 

Crap.  So even my sinister plan to run a bunch of ads saying "Single Russian ladies, I have food, come join me" has been foiled?  DAGNABBIT.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

At what point does the Russian populace start thinking "hmmm, you know, the only website I can get is Russia Today.  That seems odd..."

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

https://www.similarweb.com/apps/top/apple/store-rank/ru/all/top-free/iphone/
^It's worth is because the connected Russians are finding ways around it  using VPNs en masse 

3 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

^It's worth is because the connected Russians are finding ways around it  using VPNs en masse 

Do I love that one of the popular alternate websites, presumably to replace Youtube is......"Rutube?" Yes.  Yes I do.

Brought to you by the fine folks you gave you:

9qce8jmqpfm81.jpg?auto=webp&s=1c94a8c631

And....

YG464WUGKVF2RKRVGQ6PRHZGTI.png

Edited by Brisketexan

14 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Yeah, Russians are using VPNs like crazy, and supposedly a lot of companies that run VPNs are receiving funding from various governments to provide free VPNs to the Russians.

Of course, the ones most likely to consistently use VPNs are also the ones fleeing the country...

1 hour ago, davidg said:

I would settle an actual  http://darkstar.cia.gov/  battlefield livefeed.  Clancy thought this shit up over 20 years ago and the twitter drone versions we are seeing are very compelling showing the damage in the cities and the destruction of the oppressors.

That scene in Patriot Games where they watched the assault through the satellite....Clancy was well ahead of his time, but missed out on the real-time drone viewing.

12 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

^Lol, trying to get out of range.

I just read something on a military aircraft group I follow on FB. At the time the Moskva was hit, there was a Rivet Joint, an E3, and an RC12 Guardrail orbiting near the Black Sea in Romanian airspace with tanker support. The Guardrail was right on the coast just north of Constanta. There was also a Global Hawk farther inland at 53,000 ft. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

People sitting on Death Row have better future prospects than Russian Generals these days.

They at least have an appeals process. Ukrainia shows no mercy.

3 hours ago, MillerEP said:
Conclusion: from the statistics accumulated by international independent missions, it is obvious that the "genocide in Donbass" is an invention of Putin's propaganda to justify the attack on Ukraine. 

Nonsense. Genocide is the goal of the attack, obviously.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That scene in Patriot Games where they watched the assault through the satellite....Clancy was well ahead of his time, but missed out on the real-time drone viewing.

True, but I was referring more towards Bear and the Dragon where the CIA released a realtime stream of drone video over the battle field.  Was a way to inform the Chinese public of what was actually going on.  The rolls are reversed of course but its a pretty good analogy of what has been happening between Russia and the Ukraine.

• Like 1