Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Oryx posted a good longer form article reflecting on the Moscow sinking. Worth the read.

“The catastrophic saga of Russia's attempt at subduing its neighbour must have not only astonished those following the offensive, but also Russia itself. Once thought to be amongst the most powerful armies of the world, the biggest enemy of the Russian Armed Forces turned out not to be NATO, but the Russian government itself. The incompetence, corruption and complete denial of reality so deeply embedded in its way of governing not only contributed to dragging yet another country into a senseless war, but also appears to have eliminated the Russian Armed Forces as an effective fighting force. In this sense, the sinking of the cruiser Moskva, though a seemingly isolated event, is a symptom of far larger problems. Ukraine might derive little direct military benefits from it (though a boost to morale of this kind is perhaps one most beneficial events any military can enjoy), these problems are certain to continue to hamper any Russian attempts to win the conflict militarily. Whether the Russian political and military leadership is capable of eventually tackling these problems to some degree is unknown, but their ability to do so will likely be the single largest determinant in the outcome of Russia's war of brutality.”

http:// https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/04/neptunes-wrath-flagship-moskvas-demise.html

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, pops said:

Given the state of every other piece of Russian equipment I'm not even sure Russia could launch a nuke at this point without it looking like a rocket fail compilation video. Top gun was full of shit. 

Clearly, those pilots in Top Gun were not Russian.   They were Ukrainian.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

This seems not good:

During some time I spent in Romania, my host told me that one reason the Romanians hate the Russians is that a Russian plan to defeat some kind of NATO invasion through Romania was to detonate nuclear bombs in the depths of the Black Sea, bringing huge quantities of hydrogen sulfide to the surface and in effect creating a massive chemical attack that would basically kill everything within some distance of the coast. A little far fetched, but that’s what the man said. And there is really high concentrations of hydrogen sulfide at depth in the Black Sea, which is fatal at fairly low airborne concentrations; could really complicate any salvage operation.

49 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah I'm sure that wood chip is a part of that 2000 year old wooden cross that never existed in the first place. I'd rather go salvage the nuke thanks. 

Whatever you think of Christianity, you have to a know that the Trie Cross has a fascinating history all its own that stretches back 1,700 years.

You also have to acknowledge that it doesn’t have the best W-L record when taken into combat. And maybe after Hattin, fuckers would’ve figured out that it’s one of those things best left at home. And that’s probably particularly true when on a genocidal campaign (not calling anybody out in particular, but y’all crusaders know who you are).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah I'm sure that wood chip is a part of that 2000 year old wooden cross that never existed in the first place. I'd rather go salvage the nuke thanks. 

lulz at best you would salvage a bag of chips from the kitchen.

13 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I will run the idea past him. He might go for it. I am on him to do more. Will pass them on if he does. 

Tell him a bunch of broken brained assholes with money to burn are clamoring for more. @RDCanecutter and @Patricio Swayze both have side gigs selling their wares. He has a ready made market awaiting.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, pops said:

Given the state of every other piece of Russian equipment I'm not even sure Russia could launch a nuke at this point without it looking like a rocket fail compilation video. Top gun was full of shit. 

i made fun of @immamac early on for making a similar statement, but yeah, i'm starting to think there's a not insignificant % chance an attempted nuke launch would fail. 

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i made fun of @immamac early on for making a similar statement, but yeah, i'm starting to think there's a not insignificant % chance an attempted nuke launch would fail. 

You have two things that have to happen.  First, the rocket has to get the payload/warhead on target. We’ve already heard about the failure rate of some of their cruise type missiles. 
second, the warhead has to work. It’s a bit more complicated than an explosive or incendiary warhead- it has something like an altitude trigger that activates the warhead to throw some material into the uranium/plutonium to create the fission chain reaction. 

I don’t know what era of tech those are functioning on, but if all that doesn’t happen before the thing hits the ground then it just makes a mess and requires a hazmat cleanup. 

15 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You have two things that have to happen.  First, the rocket has to get the payload/warhead on target. We’ve already heard about the failure rate of some of their cruise type missiles. 
second, the warhead has to work. It’s a bit more complicated than an explosive or incendiary warhead- it has something like an altitude trigger that activates the warhead to throw some material into the uranium/plutonium to create the fission chain reaction. 

I don’t know what era of tech those are functioning on, but if all that doesn’t happen before the thing hits the ground then it just makes a mess and requires a hazmat cleanup. 

• Haha 1

Whatever you think of Christianity, you have to a know that the Trie Cross has a fascinating history all its own that stretches back 1,700 years.
You also have to acknowledge that it doesn’t have the best W-L record when taken into combat. And maybe after Hattin, fuckers would’ve figured out that it’s one of those things best left at home. And that’s probably particularly true when on a genocidal campaign (not calling anybody out in particular, but y’all crusaders know who you are).

From my recollection of our last trip to that area of the world (points both west and east of Ukraine), they do LOVE them some relics (the Armenian “Vatican” was loaded with them). On that trip, I think it was when we saw the 3rd or 4th “Holy Lance” in various museums that my kids’ eyebrows went fully raised.
I presume some relics were lost in the furious battles of WWII. Leave it to Russia to revive that tradition.

Apparently people are calling Putin a Nazi.  Lots of anger/backlash over mobilization or conscription.  New laws, and this is a shitty translation.

”Putin signed a law that introduces fines for Russians from 1,000 to 5,000 rubles or arrest for up to 15 days for publicly identifying the role of the USSR and Nazi Germany in World War II”

9 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Putin is not getting enough credit from y’all. Next Sunday is Orthodox Easter. 

She’ll be back afloat and unsinkable this time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

Imagine if this was the straw that broke the camel's back in Russia. I hope for the best that it is and people revolt against Putin. 

Sadly I am not hopeful it will be. The Russian public is not casualty sensitive. Further, the more damage Russia’s war machine takes, the more Putin’s insane thesis that Ukraine is a dangerous, well-armed threat to Russia can be pumped. 

Then there’s just the human nature of the thing.  Imagine that by some miracle the Iraqis sent a destroyer to the bottom in the opening month of that campaign(I realize that this war is already 50 days old).  All of us who thought being there was a good idea wouldn’t say “oh; we fucked up bad.” We’d be more rabid to crush them. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Read an article yesterday about the RU missile failure rate that the guy in charge of that hand wrote in a seventh contractor eligible to bid on it an wouldn’t you know that one won the contract. The reporter claimed around 70% of the money was embezzled and just enough correct missiles were made to pass testing.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

I continue to be amazed at the resolve of the Ukrainian people and I hope we do everything we can to help rebuild. 

I watched Winter On Fire finally and came away thinking a couple of things:

• the Ukrainian people can not be beat. Regressing back towards authoritarianism is simply not an option for them, and they'd rather die than see that happen.
  • Putin is a fucking moron for thinking this was going to be easy
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

• the Ukrainian people can not be beat. Regressing back towards authoritarianism is simply not an option for them, and they'd rather die than see that happen.

I’m going to check it out. 

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I had a walking tour of the Maidan, the Alley of Heavenly Hundred and environs and a lecture by Mustafa Nayem.  He’s in the movie— the journalist who put out the call on Facebook to go to Maidan to protest. He stayed there, too.

Impossible not to believe in Ukraine after that.  You do understand that what dirtied Putin’s shorts was simply the idea of Ukrainians expressing agency.

https://www.emmys.com/awards/honors/ninth/honoree6

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, immamac said:

Imagine if this was the straw that broke the camel's back in Russia. I hope for the best that it is and people revolt against Putin. 

It would be something if an accidental fire, poor maintenance, and poor damage control training brought down Putin.  😁

Finbarr O’Reilly / New York Times

Sister Diogena Tereshkevych tries to comfort fellow civilians with stories while they all take refuge in a bomb shelter Friday in the western Ukrainian city of Lviv.

Sister Diogena Tereshkevych comforting people displaced from eastern Ukraine while inside a bomb shelter during an air raid alert in the western Ukrainian city of Lviv on Friday.

Interesting picture, with the light framed around her head like that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Read an article yesterday about the RU missile failure rate that the guy in charge of that hand wrote in a seventh contractor eligible to bid on it an wouldn’t you know that one won the contract. The reporter claimed around 70% of the money was embezzled and just enough correct missiles were made to pass testing.

Got a link to the article? 

3 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Sister Diogena Tereshkevych tries to comfort fellow civilians with stories while they all take refuge in a bomb shelter Friday in the western Ukrainian city of Lviv.

Sister Diogena Tereshkevych comforting people displaced from eastern Ukraine while inside a bomb shelter during an air raid alert in the western Ukrainian city of Lviv on Friday.

Some Good Friday symbolism of being in the tomb. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Sadly I am not hopeful it will be. The Russian public is not casualty sensitive. Further, the more damage Russia’s war machine takes, the more Putin’s insane thesis that Ukraine is a dangerous, well-armed threat to Russia can be pumped. 

Then there’s just the human nature of the thing.  Imagine that by some miracle the Iraqis sent a destroyer to the bottom in the opening month of that campaign(I realize that this war is already 50 days old).  All of us who thought being there was a good idea wouldn’t say “oh; we fucked up bad.” We’d be more rabid to crush them. 

If Putin is having to write more censorship laws into being, stopping people from comparing the Russian government to Nazis, he’s got some big problems.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Now imagine her stories being about a boring subject and delivered like an Ian Boyd essay on defense.

• Like 1

Apparently the Russians sent a diplomatic note to the Czechs and other NATO owners of Soviet-made tech that they are not allowed to re-export any of it to Ukraine. Czechs and Poles have sent armor and Slovakia sent an S-300. This is an…attempt, I guess.  Not translating the whole article, just the Czech foreign minister response.

The foreign ministry received a note that claims we are not allowed to reexport arms of Soviet provenance to third countries without Russian permission. The ministry did not and will not react because this is complete nonsense and there is no reexport requirement for this material. It’s just one more way that Russia lies an an attempt to stop our assistance to Ukraine. 

https://denikn.cz/minuta/861326/?ref=mwat

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1