Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Also relevant to @SydneyCarton’s speculation: when I was in Russia in the freewheeling early 00s with real media and everything, my favorite TV program was called “Vecher Trudnogo Dnya,” or “The Evening of a Difficult Day.” It was a local joint that covered all the shitty stuff that happened in the oblast that day- car wrecks, industrial accidents, overdoses, whatever. If it bleeds it leads but that’s the whole show.  I think the existence of that program offers a deep insight into Russia and Russians. Don’t think it’s on anymore, Putin only allows wins now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think what’s tripping a lot of the experts who push back on this article up is that “restraint” does have an agreed upon definition when talking about the armed conflicts. And it’s pretty much what I posted above— restraint in warfare and conflict speak means deliberate actions to limit violence and deliberate efforts to uphold standards expected of a professional military . It’s not a synonym for rationality and it’s certainly not applicable when speaking of operational constraints imposed on a military from the outside. Armies and leaders voluntarily impose restraints upon themselves. 

So yes, you can say that Putin has shown restraint by not just dropping a nuke on Ukraine, and in English it makes sense— but it’s not really what people mean when they talk about restraint in warfare.  The war as prosecuted by Putin has been marked by a lack of what’s usually understood as “restraint.”

Anyway, that’s my last post on the topic. I don’t think anyone believes that Putin wanted to start WWIII here and I think that looking at why Russia has targeted what they have is really useful. I don’t think it’s helpful to think in terms of any sort of effort to limit casualties or pursue more limited aims (until very recently).

And your current definition of "restraint" fits within the articles use of the term.  Putin has shown restraint because of a range of possible factors (fear of NATO response, Ukraine air defenses, poor supplies, desire to preserve rail for his own use, etc.).    

The articles use of the term restraint doesn't mean the authors feel Putin is altruistic.  That should be clear to anyone who read the first sentence of the article, "Russia’s war against Ukraine has leveled cities, killed tens of thousands of people and forced millions of others from their homes."

No one is saying restraint is synonymous with rationality. However, restraint is clearly a characteristic of a rationale actor.  That is the main thrust of the article - which I suppose is what you may take issue with.

The article is not solely focused on restraint from using nukes. It is about restraint in terms of cyber attacks, attacks on Ukrainian railways and bridges and other infrastructure, limiting the current offensive to a slow grind in the east, etc. 

53 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I don’t think it’s helpful to think in terms of any sort of effort to limit casualties or pursue more limited aims (until very recently). I think it’s far more helpful to talk about constraints and costs imposed on Putin rather than any sort of limitations or restraints he’s put on his own behavior. 

Trying to understand Russia's decision to pursue more limited aims is clearly helpful.  It is clearly helpful to understand why he is constrained - why he has shown restraint in certain areas.  If folks are only comfortable seeing Putin as a non-rationale actor with no ability to restrain actions, then that isn't helpful IMO.   

4 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

^Russia doesn't seem to know when to stop digging. They just keep doubling down. I truly hope Israel finally gets tired of their shit and pitches in

The Ukrainian armed forces are also successfully removing them from combat 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
With extreme prejudice
  • Hook 'Em 4

The soldiers found the monkey, then handed it over to volunteers.

Again, the civilian quadcopter of the Armed Forces of Ukraine is a nightmare for the poor fellows of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation in the rear. One generally unloaded great, the athlete definitely.

^You win some, you lose some

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I don't understand how cocaine smuggled into Russia was confiscated in Estonia.   I assume this was meant as due to smuggled into Russia, correct?

Best Russia cocaine story is the saga of 850 pounds of blow in the basement of the Russian embassy school in Buenos Aires. Eventually satisfactorily resolved and no involvement of any Russian government official, of course.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/03/senor-k-drug-smuggling-argentina-russia-germany

Russian BMP-3 set on fire by 128 OGShBr attack aircraft.

The elite alcohol company GoodWine has published footage of what is left of their warehouse in the Kyiv region. The damage is estimated at 15 million euros.

Photo from the oil depot in occupied Makeyevka. Russian terrorists were left without fuel in the region, minus at least 6 cars and a fuel depot.

9P149 Sturm-S, two Ural trucks and a sleigh from 2B11 120mm. 

A delegation from the terrorist organization Hamas has arrived in Moscow "for important talks" with Russian officials.

What a country and friends. Taliban, Hamas, North Korea 🤡

Source:

Something is burning in the industrial zone of Dzerzhinsk (Nizhny Novgorod region) 🤔

In the video - the work of artillerymen of the group of troops "South".

You can always watch the fire, water and how the occupying tanks are burning. This video shows the work of the 93rd OMBr Kholodny Yar on the destruction of three enemy tanks.

• Hook 'Em 1

1. Yesterday I was not 100% sure, so I did not write anything. But there is already confirmation, so the morning is a little nice. Radar 9C36 (radar station for illumination of targets and guidance of SAM 9K317 "Buk-M2" missiles) was destroyed by artillerymen in the Sloboda area.

2. In addition, in the Kharkiv region, the loss of enemy tanks - 2; BMP-6; BTR-1; motor transport - 30; inferior - 42 pcs.
 But it is necessary to understand with what efforts all this is given to the gunmen. Our defenders were hit by two air strikes and one missile strike. 38 artillery shellings.

3. Attempts to attack and counterattack where the occupiers were pushed. The enemy was unsuccessful. The Russians are gradually but well pressed in the Kharkiv region. Good morning, unbreakable

• Hook 'Em 1

Ukrainian paratroopers continue to professionally destroy units of the Russian occupiers

The video shows the consequences of the destroyed Russian armored vehicles together with the crews of the artillery of one of the units of the Assault Troops of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

128 OGShBr destroyed BMP-3 racists.

Gunners 30 OMBr them. Konstantin Ostrozky is being persecuted by the occupiers.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I doubt Russia can take the Azovstal plant with the troops they have left unless they resort to chemical weapons. I'm betting this gets ugly.

We can buy the UA some time by air-dropping thousands of little plastic mini bottles of vodka on the Russian lines

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2022 at 8:12 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

If the Chinese decide to buy all of the corn russia offers it, knowing it is stolen from Ukraine, is that enough to trigger economic sanctions against them?  

Do they have us too much by the balls financially for us to do anything irrespective of their behavior?

We owe China a lot of money.  We trigger their pending economic decline if we don't pay.

3 hours ago, immamac said:

Russia pissing off Israel to the point of supporting Ukraine is an absolutely incredible display of ineptitude. 

I want to point out to this, because it relates to a football issue we've discussed in the past.

Russia was playing the world like puppets on a string fora good couple of decades. But in the end, they couldn't help but be... Russia. They can't help themselves but to try to regain their empire. They gotta have those warm water ports. They gotta have the security of buffer states between Western Europe and Moscow. But most of all, they couldn't help but be a bunch of racist, fascist anti-semites. They had to say they were attacking Nazis, while continuing to hate Jews.

aggy gonna aggy

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You have to wonder, is all of this stuff relatively normal in Russia, and just now getting coverage because of the war? Because as 956 has said about fire controls they suck, and if their military has shown anything it's that it, and I assume the rest of the country, is crumbling under graft and kleptocracy. So this could be...normal shit. Although I'm sure we'd all much prefer the idea there's a dozen or so Ukrainian special forces guys inside Russia's borders just creating havoc. But I have to assume it's the former, right? 

Probably the former but the messaging is the Ukrainian witches or baba yaga are getting them while they sleep.

^Still hundreds of civilians there

Today's news about the "Occupiers" broke into the territory of "Azovstal" at least not correct.
 Orcs have been on the territory of Azovstal since April 20. There are videos where they are in the Large Grade Shop on the one hand, and in the Lime-Roasting Shop.
 It is unknown where they went today.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You have to wonder, is all of this stuff relatively normal in Russia, and just now getting coverage because of the war? Because as 956 has said about fire controls they suck, and if their military has shown anything it's that it, and I assume the rest of the country, is crumbling under graft and kleptocracy. So this could be...normal shit. Although I'm sure we'd all much prefer the idea there's a dozen or so Ukrainian special forces guys inside Russia's borders just creating havoc. But I have to assume it's the former, right? 

The theory has been put forth some of these could be of the FSB will be coming in to audit next week variety.

4 hours ago, immamac said:

They aren't giving up shit. You are crazy. They are being defeated and repelled, while attacks are picking up in actually Russia to prevent resupply. You are completely wrong. Russia being defeated will not at all be a cause for lifting sanctions, if Russia retreats and signs a deal to pay for all the destruction they did to Ukraine, returns all the Ukrainians they kidnapped and Putin steps down then MAYBE sanctions begin to soften. 

This more than anything.

Just now, Superhero said:

This more than anything.

They will never do that.

There is no ending to this that doesn't result in Russia being a full-on pariah state for many years.  They have chosen their path.  They chose near-peak Fuck Around.  The only rational response is near-peak Find Out.

On 5/2/2022 at 2:38 PM, Hefeweizen said:

What the fuck?  The last dip shits who did this were the taliban.  Is that really what Russia has become?

They both (ISIS and the Taliban) continue to do this shit. 

On 5/2/2022 at 2:39 PM, Schulz2.0 said:

Fify

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

I work in international oil and gas in one of the former USSR states and I have heard some pretty wild stories from my colleagues who have worked in Russia, and many of them have. 

I have heard stories about everything from prison convicts being  pressed into service as labor on projects that are behind schedule, oligarchs flying in to site locations on private jets to demand work is completed on schedule regardless of the safety consequences (critical crane lifts performed in extremely high wind conditions) then flying back out once the work was completed. And many others. 

One thing they all mention is the standard oil spill clean up response - launch some flare guns at it until it burns off then just carry on. 

So yea, they have a pretty shit safety culture and don’t care who gets injured or killed along the way. 

Reminded me of when I interviewed for a senior position with Lukoil in Moscow years ago - when I asked about pension and retirement benefits, they said they didn't have any as no one lives past 60 there anyways...  Needless to say, I didn't go work for them...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, MillerEP said:

How fucking stupid do you have to be to believe that Israel supportsNeo-Nazism? Are those who believe this able to tie their own shoes? Do they need to wear padding when leaving the house? Do they have assistants to help them eat food without injury? Do they need to wear a leash?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1