Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've seen on the twitters that this is more about keeping Belarussians from going south to join Ukraine's Foreign Legion, although it is I possible that Belarus is concerned that Ukraine might be pissed about airstrikes/missile launches from Belarus territory.

How will the Legion personnel ever go back? Hopefully armed to overthrow Putin's lackey they have as a president. 

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yes.  My guess is that most Taiwanese IC manufacturers had already placed Russia and Belarus on their banned/no-sale list, just as most American high tech companies did independently, but this will prevent any wafflers from slipping through.

There are always ways to get around shit like this.

Watch for orders from Syria and Nicaragua in the next few days. Cuz we all know the IT industry in Damascus and Managua is really taking off. 

• Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Remember how Lithuanians raised enough money to buy a Bayraktar TB2 for Ukraine?

Pretty cool of the manufacturer to do this.

Company could have donated drone before….it took a country crowdfunding money, drawing viral/global news therefore gaining millions of free marketing and now will happily donate said drone which will once again create millions of positive marketing. I love business 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

There are always ways to get around shit like this.

Watch for orders from Syria and Nicaragua in the next few days. Cuz we all know the IT industry in Damascus and Managua is really taking off. 

At the very large computer manufacturing firm I work for, we have a security team specifically devoted to watchguarding any activity like that.  It can still happen, but it's actually not all that easy.  The most important Taiwanese IC manufacturers are similarly sophisticated.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Oh I understand. Have dealt with export controls quite a bit. Just saying, if the Russians need them there are ways to get around export sanctions. 

They no doubt need them desperately, and they're clearly not getting them, hence the conversations about repurposed ICs from appliances.  The flow has already been slowed.  Probably not completely stopped, but obviously enough to make a significant impact.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They no doubt need them desperately, and they're clearly not getting them, hence the conversations about repurposed ICs from appliances.  The flow has already been slowed.  Probably not completely stopped, but obviously enough to make a significant impact.

Hope so. Would love to see the Russian's need to rely on Trebuchets for their next offensive. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

56 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think it's Lee was on a similar thread/sight, and he and some OSINT guys are really going on about a lack of Russian bridging equipment right now, and that Russia is blowing bridges because they've hit their limits and are being forced to, if not retreat, at least try to build up hasty defensive positions. There are tens of thousands of creeks/rivers in Ukraine.

The key insight they offer is looking beyond metal and tech and into force structure. Counter-intuitively to all of us used to thinking about WWII meat-grinder tactics, Russia has far more of a personnel issue than a tech issue. They can’t throw bodies at this problem and that’s what they need more than tech.  As unsavory as it sounds , Ukraine needs to focus on killing and maiming Russians with knocking out tanks and airplanes a side benefit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Oh I understand. Have dealt with export controls quite a bit. Just saying, if the Russians need them there are ways to get around export sanctions. 

Even if they do get around sanctions. The chips will be twice as expensive and probably take 4 times longer to arrive in Russia

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Go cancer!!!

Yeah, we seem to have found the case where we will withdraw our uniform sentiment of "fuck cancer."  Cancer, go ahead and wreck shit, you've got a free pass from us on this one....but just this one.

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Best customer support lead ever. 

If the advice didn't start with "have you tried rebooting it?", this guy is no customer support fella at all.

53 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The key insight they offer is looking beyond metal and tech and into force structure. Counter-intuitively to all of us used to thinking about WWII meat-grinder tactics, Russia has far more of a personnel issue than a tech issue. They can’t throw bodies at this problem and that’s what they need more than tech.  As unsavory as it sounds , Ukraine needs to focus on killing and maiming Russians with knocking out tanks and airplanes a side benefit. 

Very good point.  Russia running out of materiel might happen.  But Russia running out of meat can definitely happen.  Destroy their meat.  Let them start sending their old men and kids -- that's how the end-game for evil fascists goes, so let's play.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I'm still rooting for a bullet, but beggars can't be choosers

What if.... now hear me out.... he gets bullet cancer?

Like, he's shot and the bullet hits a tumor. And by hitting the tumor, it breaks up and metastasizes all over his body.

Or he's shot with a lead bullet and it gives him cancer.

Or they stuff a bullet with cancer and shoot him with it.

JOHN+BELUSHI.jpg?format=1500w 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

How will the Legion personnel ever go back? Hopefully armed to overthrow Putin's lackey they have as a president. 

That's a major benefit of all of the mines as well.   I'm also wondering if Belarus could have done this to prevent Russia from trying to stage another invasion from Belarus towards Kyiv or trying to force Belarus to invade Ukraine - "Hey Vlad, we put a bunch of mines out, but umm, forgot to make a map, so if you want to try and invade from Belarus, you're going to have to put a bunch of guys into clearing mines, sorry, my bad, I'll have maps made next time!"  Not that Russia has the ability to open another front, but I'm sure Putin is leaning hard on Belarus for additional troops of some kind.

So that's three scenarios

1. Restrict Belorussians from going south to help Ukraine and prevent armed/trained/experienced Belorussians from coming back to Belarus.
  2. Keep Ukrainian troops from coming into Belarus as revenge over the air/missile strikes (or prevent them)
  3. Prevent Russia from attacking Northern Ukraine/Kyiv from Belarus, or prevent Russia from directly forcing Belarus to attack.

#3 is pretty passive-aggressive towards Putin, about as passive-aggressive as you can get, but keeps Belarus's military from being directly forced into the fight by Russia, and in the long run, if Russia continues to be the pariah it currently is, Belarus maybe looking for its own little way of saying "look, we thought it was actually training exercise, and then when they invaded, we had no choice, Russia would have annexed us if we didn't do what we asked and allow them to use our land, so we put out a bunch of mines to deny our territory to Russia!"

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, MillerEP said:

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-putin-treated-cancer-april-us-intelligence-report-says-1710357

Exclusive: Putin Treated for Cancer in April, U.S. Intelligence Report Says
BY WILLIAM M. ARKIN ON 6/2/22 AT 5:00 AM EDT

the intelligence community produced its fourth comprehensive assessment at the end of May. The classified U.S. report says Putin seems to have re-emerged after undergoing treatment in April for advanced cancer,

The assessments also confirm that there was an assassination attempt on Putin's life in March, the officials say.

How good can the doctors that are left in Russia be?  And if he's in radiation or chemo treatments, it seems like it would be easy for someone to poison the fuck out of that shitbag. 

9 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Holy shit, @MillerEP must be asleep, I can't believe I'm beating him on this, but it's actually a somewhat even fight. The Trebuchet has 20 tons on the Javelin but the Jav has jump jets and is way more maneuverable. 

image.png.e8861acb3b8b1f2a5beb92640db37a6e.png

Haha, I was. You're right though. The Trebuchet also has more ballistic and energy than the Javelin. Mechwarrior 5 is on sale by the way, through Fanatical!

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Holy shit, @MillerEP must be asleep, I can't believe I'm beating him on this, but it's actually a somewhat even fight. The Trebuchet has 20 tons on the Javelin but the Jav has jump jets and is way more maneuverable. 

image.png.e8861acb3b8b1f2a5beb92640db37a6e.png

Holy damn I didn't know anyone else on Surly was into Battletech

51 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Haha, I was. You're right though. The Trebuchet also has more ballistic and energy than the Javelin. Mechwarrior 5 is on sale by the way, through Fanatical!

36 minutes ago, Nivek said:

It is not very good.

MW5 is fun stompy robots, but the Battletech turn based game is great if you add on some mod packs like RogueTech. It's the complete Total Warfare rulebook and a managed tabletop campaign basically

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

How good can the doctors that are left in Russia be?  And if he's in radiation or chemo treatments, it seems like it would be easy for someone to poison the fuck out of that shitbag. 

Dumb question amnesty: I've never personally known someone going through an active treatment for cancer. Does their hair always fall out? If so, it seems that Putin's may have thinned some, but he's obviously not fully bald. That then raises the question for my dumbass as to whether he's actually seeking treatment.

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Dumb question amnesty: I've never personally known someone going through an active treatment for cancer. Does their hair always fall out? If so, it seems that Putin's may have thinned some, but he's obviously not fully bald. That then raises the question for my dumbass as to whether he's actually seeking treatment.

Not a doc but have know people who have been through chemo - not all cause hair loss. Most do however. It all depends on what kind of treatment he's receiving.

• Like 1