Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Russia is using massed artillery. Then when they roll in, they’ll push in some first some infantry from DNR or LNR forces, then some Spetsnaz and combined arms units.  They soften up everything with the cannons as they come in.  It’s not maneuver and because of the constant bombardment it’s harder and harder to get in position and use the antitank missiles.  Still happens, but this is now HIMARS and artillery duels. It’s not even World War II out there, the fire going back and forth is like World War I. Russia isn’t trying to sprint to capture territory. 

Also— was talking yesterday to someone very well plugged in.  The civilian atrocities are just as bad if not worse than what you saw in Bucha and Irpin.  Two factors at play- the Russians haven’t pulled out of the places where they seize, like they were forced to run from the Kyiv area. Second-/ they are using the mobile crematoria to burn the bodies and are filtering survivors who see and know things far away from Ukraine and media. Secretary Blinken has a tweet about the filtration up today. 

What we are witnessing is a historic atrocity that we won’t understand for generations. 

Do you have any sources I could read to learn more about the atrocities and the mobile crematoriums?   This seems like something that should be out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Fico said:

I have a feeling the Germans are going to cave at some point. It will be interesting in 10-12 days once the planned annual maintenance is complete.

Really, so what if they cave. What can they do? It would be more psychological than anything. Add's cash to Putin. He still cannot replace his losses that fast. Thoughts? 

The countries really supporting the Ukraine won't. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

It's still logistics isn't it? I'm impatient I suppose. It is still move stuff from A>B>C in a safe and predictable manner.

4 hours ago, texastough said:

No. It is apparently all about having trained dudes to maintain the launchers, and having lots of ammo. One launcher can fire a stupid number of times per day and have a big range. They don’t need many more launchers, they need a steady supply of missiles and logistical support

I think you described logistics.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

20 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Really, so what if they cave. What can they do? It would be more psychological than anything. Add's cash to Putin. He still cannot replace his losses that fast. Thoughts? 

The countries really supporting the Ukraine won't. 

I agree, I don't think it will change much if anything on the ground. Talking heads will make a bigger deal out of it more than anything. I could still see the Germans supporting Ukraine, just more low-key. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I think you described logistics.

All joking aside, it takes several weeks of training for crews and support personnel as well, so it sounds like it’s a complex process to scale quickly. I did see one Ukrainian official tweeting an ammo dump strike and exclaiming they had “passed the test”, so was curious if there’s an effort by the Ukrainians to pressure the US to speed things up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

All joking aside, it takes several weeks of training for crews and support personnel as well, so it sounds like it’s a complex process to scale quickly. I did see one Ukrainian official tweeting an ammo dump strike and exclaiming they had “passed the test”, so was curious if there’s an effort by the Ukrainians to pressure the US to speed things up. 

Yes, and training is also part of logistics.

Shipping, training, supplies, maintenance, repairs, spare parts, ammo, repositioning, fuel, cycling crews, technical support - all logistics

I agree with all those saying the ramp up is slow because of logistics.  They could also be specific and say training, steady supply of rocket pods, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Don’t forget it also takes really good operational security to communicate all those moving parts to meeting on the move for resupply.  The Russians would like nothing more than to know where they could knock out the launchers and their ammo trucks at the same time. 

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Your second paragraph is spot on. It's demoralizing how little some people seem to care or are dismissing everything. This is a microcosm of the worst of the Axis war machine occurring right before our eyes, complete with concentration/filtration camps, mass deportations, starvation, crematoriums for civilians, mass graves, and mass rapes and executions on Europe's doorstep and most people couldn't be bothered.

Here’s Secretary Blinken on the filtration and deportation. Remember that the people getting filtered and deported are the ones who would be witnesses of the atrocities and most likely to speak out. 

Before any eye rolling about U.S. government statements— remember it was the U.S. and UK governments and very few others who accurately called the invasion prep what it was in February. The admin has very little incentive to make things up or even exaggerate, telling the truth to the world has proved far more effective. 

https://ua.usembassy.gov/russias-filtration-operations-forced-disappearances-and-mass-deportations-of-ukrainian-citizens/

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, MillerEP said:

Your second paragraph is spot on. It's demoralizing how little some people seem to care or are dismissing everything. This is a microcosm of the worst of the Axis war machine occurring right before our eyes, complete with concentration/filtration camps, mass deportations, starvation, crematoriums for civilians, mass graves, and mass rapes and executions on Europe's doorstep and most people couldn't be bothered.

That is what is amazing to me. I couldn't give a shit about whatever CNN and Fox and MSNBC and the local stations are talking about, but I care about this. And there just isn't anything on TV about it. And quite frankly, the tweets that y'all are posting now aren't near as detailed as the ones from the beginning of the war. I couldn't really say what is going on right now despite reading all the posts. It wouldn't surprise me if Russia falls next weeks and it wouldn't surprise me if we are in the same spot this fall. The only thing that I can say is that if this war continues into the fall, the West is in trouble. Elections are going to be lost if gas prices continue to escalate and the easiest way to lower gas prices is to end the war.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That is what is amazing to me. I couldn't give a shit about whatever CNN and Fox and MSNBC and the local stations are talking about, but I care about this. And there just isn't anything on TV about it. And quite frankly, the tweets that y'all are posting now aren't near as detailed as the ones from the beginning of the war. I couldn't really say what is going on right now despite reading all the posts. It wouldn't surprise me if Russia falls next weeks and it wouldn't surprise me if we are in the same spot this fall. The only thing that I can say is that if this war continues into the fall, the West is in trouble. Elections are going to be lost if gas prices continue to escalate and the easiest way to lower gas prices is to end the war.

I'm almost positive this will be going on into next year unless something drastic happens on either side, and I agree the elections at the end of the year are seriously going to hamper any support. Ukraine needs to win this and they need to win this soon. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

️UN: Two-thirds of Ukrainian refugees plan to stay for now.

According to the UN's refugee agency, out of the 4,900 Ukrainian refugees now living in Czech Republic, Hungary, Moldova, Poland, Romania and Slovakia, most said they hope to return eventually.

— The Kyiv Independent (@KyivIndependent) July 13, 2022

Man, talk about incongruent. I guess refugees plan on staying for now but will eventually return if the war ends in Ukraine's favor.

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I guess refugees plan on staying for now but will eventually return if the war ends in Ukraine's favor.

What are they going to return to? If they lived in the city, the housing has been hit hard. If they lived in the country, the fields are full of mines.

44 minutes ago, MillerEP said:
^Imagine being arrested and facing 20 years in prison just for hosting Surly or a discord channel

Well to be fair, imma and blacklab probably should be arrested and facing 20 years in prison for creating and hosting Surly...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, RPM said:

What are they going to return to? If they lived in the city, the housing has been hit hard. If they lived in the country, the fields are full of mines.

The war in Bosnia ended in 1995. Deminig started in 1996. It continues today and there are scores of casualties a year. Places like Afghanistan will never be cleared. Hell, there are still mine fields in North Africa from WW2. 

https://news.sky.com/story/call-vladimir-putin-ruler-rather-than-president-say-russian-leaders-kremlin-allies-12649839

Call Vladimir Putin 'ruler' rather than 'president', say Russian leader's Kremlin allies
Russia is said to be looking at substituting words and terms which it believes came from the West in moves it feels are necessary following the invasion of Ukraine earlier this year.

Tuesday 12 July 2022 06:56, UK

^Not even trying to hide it anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Well to be fair, imma and blacklab probably should be arrested and facing 20 years in prison for creating and hosting Surly...

Shit. We all would have bullets in the back of the head if we were in occupied Ukraine. 

Even worse, they would make someone like stoops the puppet mayor.

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

The war in Bosnia ended in 1995. Deminig started in 1996. It continues today and there are scores of casualties a year. Places like Afghanistan will never be cleared. Hell, there are still mine fields in North Africa from WW2. 

We are still blowing up a few Laotians a year too from the sheer amount of left over unexploded US ordinance over there too. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Ahem, Red Zone, anyone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_Rouge

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

And quite frankly, the tweets that y'all are posting now aren't near as detailed as the ones from the beginning of the war. I couldn't really say what is going on right now despite reading all the posts. 

Ukraine and its military have gotten better with the OPSEC side of things.  At the start, it was the Wild West when it came to social media, but thankfully the Russians were too disorganized to take advantage of the flow of information.

Now the Ukrainians are much more careful, because the OSINT people are geolocating stuff within minutes of it being posting, and the Russians have shown the ability to respond when they find solid targeting info online.

in fact, there is a pseudo-blackout of social media in the Kherson region, and anything released appears to be cleared first (and also all clips have to have some kind of EDM or Ukrainian music added).  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, MillerEP said:

https://news.sky.com/story/call-vladimir-putin-ruler-rather-than-president-say-russian-leaders-kremlin-allies-12649839

Call Vladimir Putin 'ruler' rather than 'president', say Russian leader's Kremlin allies
Russia is said to be looking at substituting words and terms which it believes came from the West in moves it feels are necessary following the invasion of Ukraine earlier this year.

Tuesday 12 July 2022 06:56, UK

^Not even trying to hide it anymore.

I will continue to call him Dickwad.

• Hook 'Em 5