Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

27 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Also, if you're not being mobilized, they can sell you a car but the floor mats and clear coat will cost you extra.

But, I mean, we’ve never done this before. But seeing as it’s special circumstances and all, he says I can knock a hundred dollars off that Trucoat.  So, the new recruits have that going for them, which is nice.

18 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Exactly what they should be doing.  Make it really clear to the conscripts that every day they spend in a Russian uniform is a day they are marked for death.  The sooner you can wave the white flag and become a POW, the better.  That's the one thing that will take the target off your back.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The US also sent them a huge number of trucks for use as transports.

Yes, plus locomotives and rolling stock. Interestingly enough a lot of these went via the Pacific to Vladivostok. We transferred ships to the USSR who had a treaty with Japan to allow transfer of non war materials with Japan getting to inspect ships. Everything from food, to raw materials, to trucks, trains and other shit went this way. It was the highest volume lend lease route to the USSR.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Having watched a few Americans/Brits in Russia vlogs, and various travel YouTubers, I'm not discounting the idea that there are a bunch of fucking morons from here or Britain who were like "Hey, I dated a Russian girl or I took a few semesters of Russian in high school, and for some reason, travel to Russia is really cheap right now and my money will go far and I'll get a lot of clicks filming myself at Russian grocery stores!"

Kind of like people in other parts of the country being pleasantly surprised to find cheap tickets to Ft. Myers right now.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

HEY FUCK YOU, YOU'RE NOT MY DAD, IF YOU TELL ME I SHOULD LEAVE, I'M GOING TO STAY EVEN HARDER! I'M AN AMERICAN, THEY AREN'T GOING TO MESS WITH ME, IN FACT I'LL START FILMING EVERY DEMONSTRATION I SEE AGAINST RUSSIANS FIGHTING THE NAZIS IN UKRAINE AND I'LL MAKE SURE AND GET UP CLOSE TO THE RUSSIAN POLICE OFFICERS WHEN I'M FILMING AND I'LL TELL THEM I'M AN AMERICAN AND I HAVE FREEDOM OF THE PRESS AND WHAT THE FUCK WHY ARE THEY PUTTING ME IN THIS VAN? 

A few years after having graduated law school, I had a lady friend who had a trip to Thailand planned and was telling me about all the cool drugs she was going to do there as she was packing her weed.  I let her know that was ill advised, given that many Southeast Asian countries take a dim view of partaking in/trafficking in drugs.  She proceeded to give me a lecture about how as an American, the American law followed her around the world like a little bubble, or perhaps on the playground when toddlers shout "forcefield!" during tag.  I let her go on a bit, as she was very enthusiastic and committed to her idea.  I told her I was shocked to find that out.  Because it wasn't what they taught at UT Law.  I let her know I very much appreciated the wealth of knowledge on international law she had attained through - (checked note) selling radio advertising, and that I really could've used that news about 5 years prior and saved myself about $60,000 in education.  

Luckily, I think I planted a seed of doubt in her mind and she didn't try to fly to Thailand with a bag of weed or whatever.  But I have zero doubt that there is a not insignificant part of our population who believes in the American Forcefield rule of law.  

• Hook 'Em 5

56 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I don’t know about the standard boilerplate for notices from the embassy in Moscow, but the warnings about avoiding protests, not filming them, and that the right to protest is not a right in Russia seems rather ominous to me.

If that is not standard boilerplate, so they expect a major uptick in protests and is that potentially tied to another escalation via policy?

That is boilerplate information for Embassy Moscow security notices.  “Avoiding protests and demonstrations” is boilerplate language worldwide simply because those are places where there’s a higher likelihood of shit going down and a higher likelihood of strong feelings about Americans.  The stuff about not filming and and no right to protest is specific Russia boilerplate. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why in the FUCK would you summon them here?

Humble Beast cares very deeply, sir. Bite your tongue. 

You'd think, but hey, we should already have manufacturing, chip manufacturing, pharmaceutical and medical production sourced here in the US for national security reasons, and yet here we are. Didn't that chip bill only pass recently along party lines?

Add in the fact that it's individual companies that choose to do business with China, for reasons of profit, and then spend ungodly money on campaigns where political parties accuse any effort to subvert doing business with China as "anti-capitalism" and straight up "communism" and well, here we are...fastened about the neck to an evil anchor because we like $500 flat screen TVs. So, to answer your question, Yes we are that shortsighted. 

The CHIPS+Science act was pretty bipartisan in the Senate: 64-33.  It was more partisan in the House, but you almost never get big cross party voting in the House on major legislation, usually because the minority is butt hurt about some process issue (sometimes justifiably, sometimes not).

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Bateshorn said:

Oh.  That is a very, very big no no. Somebody is going to get into serious fucking trouble at TI unless they have a valid explanation.

Yep.  Export controls is serious bidness.  Unless that was obtained on a secondary market (and TI damn well should be able to trace its sales chain on any restricted component), TI could be in real trouble.  I've had one case in my career that touched on export controls - I referred that to counsel specializing in such matters immediately, because it's serious bidness about which you best know your shit.  When you are explaining yourself not just to Customs but also to NCIS and the FBI, you best tread very carefully.

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

c363b6c4-353c-4318-9450-8dc89fa190dd_tex

We need to be mindful of this though:  Poland was on the fast track to become the next Hungary before Russian engaged in its stupidity.  While their hatred for the Russians is momentarily useful, I'm not thrilled with the long term prospect of a juiced up Poland if it starts facing West instead of East.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Oh.  That is a very, very big no no. Somebody is going to get into serious fucking trouble at TI unless they have a valid explanation.

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  Export controls is serious bidness.  Unless that was obtained on a secondary market (and TI damn well should be able to trace its sales chain on any restricted component), TI could be in real trouble.  I've had one case in my career that touched on export controls - I referred that to counsel specializing in such matters immediately, because it's serious bidness about which you best know your shit.  When you are explaining yourself not just to Customs but also to NCIS and the FBI, you best tread very carefully.

right now the fact that a TI chip got acquired by Iran is a MAYBE this is a big deal... maybe not... honestly depends on how old the chips are.

Yes, Iran is on the "no trade at all" sanctions list.  and all US companies are well aware that we cant sell shit to Iran, or to a partner who is going to resell to Iran.   Major penalties as mentioned above.

But anything older than about 5 years old is basically considered old scrap in the US, Japan. Korea, & Europe.  it gets resold to refurb scrappers in Asia- still totally legal, and if those companies agree to no resale to Iran (and agree to audits to prove it), the US companies have permission to let their old equipment make its way to Asia.

from there, even if 2,3,4 resellers, follow the no trade with Iran sanctions.... shit is getting older and older, and after 8/9 years its only really useful to very poor countries who have almost no electronics infrastructures a 10 year old laptop that works is still useful to folks in Somalia, Afghanistan, and yes, Iran.   once the chips have been recycled /reinstalled at least twice there is almost no way to stop them from falling into the hands of Iran (and Russia).

lets not forget that up until 2014 Russia was allowed to be sold a lot of "regular" electronics- just not high-end shit.   and its not exactly unthinkable that Russian companies would resell stuff to Iran especially anytime after 2017 once US sanctions were in place in Russia... its not like they gave a fuck if they were breaking US law, we already had them in sanctions.  and as I said above,  anything under 10 years old is still usable for basic computer instructions on things like drones.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

There's a split between the Italian far right on supporting Ukraine. Meloni's block is pro-Ukraine.

Yeah, a lot on the far right are pretty pissed but, let's be honest, while there are many far-right leaning idiots in Italy (far more than you realize), she is in power because of record low turnout.  The right coalition (that's why someone said between) was still something like 42% of the votes.  While lots of Italians pine for the days of il Duce, I hope this is a blip in time and she doesn't do too much damage.  

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

That's encouraging at least. I was worried she might be another Orban.

You're discounting the fact this is all lip-service? As recently as last year or so she was praising Putin and signaled how his most recent election was a sign of the unanimous will of the Russian people. 

The Brothers of Italy descended from post-fascist roots, making Meloni the first politician from a post-fascist line to rule the country since World War II. And while she has advocated for sending military aid to Ukraine, she also defended Russia as "part of our European system of values" just last year in her memoir.

https://www.newsweek.com/giorgia-meloni-italy-election-victory-vladimir-putin-russia-1745085

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

We need to be mindful of this though:  Poland was on the fast track to become the next Hungary before Russian engaged in its stupidity.  While their hatred for the Russians is momentarily useful, I'm not thrilled with the long term prospect of a juiced up Poland if it starts facing West instead of East.

As long as troops in the surrounding countries remember that if a Polish soldier throws a pin, that means the hand grenade is still clenched between his teeth and you should haul ass, and if a Polish soldier throws a grenade, to pick it up, pull the pin out, and throw it back.  

As long as we keep some contracts going with Maybelline and Revlon for polish remover, we should be fine.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

That is boilerplate information for Embassy Moscow security notices.  “Avoiding protests and demonstrations” is boilerplate language worldwide simply because those are places where there’s a higher likelihood of shit going down and a higher likelihood of strong feelings about Americans.  The stuff about not filming and and no right to protest is specific Russia boilerplate. 

Warning about filming is not rare at all. Rules are don't go to protests, don't film government shit. We had a dumbass NGO chick from Chicago get arrested in Kenya. She thought driving down the street filming was fine. Well she drove past their Intel HQ. Lets just say a few US Consular Officers did not get much sleep for a few days. Kenyans were pissed. 

Her group's argument was we are do gooders. Embassy said you broke their law. 

• Hook 'Em 4

45 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

We should always be mindful but cannot remember the last time Poland attacked west. Even WW1 and WW2 they were at partial mobilization on the German front. 

I am not worried about the Poles attacking west. I could see them going and fucking up Belarus. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You're discounting the fact this is all lip-service? As recently as last year or so she was praising Putin and signaled how his most recent election was a sign of the unanimous will of the Russian people. 

https://www.newsweek.com/giorgia-meloni-italy-election-victory-vladimir-putin-russia-1745085

One can hope she is the typical type of politician in Italy which claims to be one thing but is a half-ass version of that... kind of like the Italian Communist part in Italy is a bunch of half-ass Communists... as J-AX and Fedez say in Italy, "Comunisti con Rolex"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Warning about filming is not rare at all. Rules are don't go to protests, don't film government shit. We had a dumbass NGO chick from Chicago get arrested in Kenya. She thought driving down the street filming was fine. Well she drove past their Intel HQ. Lets just say a few US Consular Officers did not get much sleep for a few days. Kenyans were pissed. 
Her group's argument was we are do gooders. Embassy said you broke their law. 

“It was for the Gram” is not a valid defense there?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not discounting, but still encouraged.

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Listened to the Inside Russia guy's podcast some more - he's devoting today's episode to why (and probably why) he left.  He did leave his family behind, but he trusted the people who were looking after them, and the whole reason he was leaving was that the borders were going to be closed to men leaving anyways.

He mentioned something very interesting, and I'm paraphrasing - he had a good friend in Uzbekistan that he called up and said he was considering visiting him and by proxy leaving Russia, and said friend was like "what the fuck, when are you coming and where" and Constantin tells him the date and that he's flying from Russia to Tajikistan, and his Uzbekistan friend then says something like "okay, when you land in Tajikistan, I've got a guy who is going to get you to the Uzbekistan border, and you're going to meet another guy there and he's going to bring you across the border to me".

Every one of us needs a buddy like that - somebody that you can call up when shit goes down, and you're like "I need to leave" and they're like "okay, fly to this country, and I've got a guy there you will meet, and he will take you to another guy who will get you across the border to third country and he will bring you to me."

Sure, if you're in your 20s or 30s, you may not think you need a friend like that, but when you get in your 40s, it's good to have a friend like that.

thor-love-and-thunder-thor.gif

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

Besides nuclear and turning off gas, what else can he really do?

Invade another country? I mean I guess but he has his hands full 

Fucking up the European underwater infrastructure and lie his face off about it. Which might be what you are referring to by turning off the gas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

why does everyone assume that the pipeline was bombed by divers?

its not like there isnt technology that would allow a cheap, remote operated vehicle to literally take a bomb to the pipeline, drop the bomb directly on the pipe ( or right next to it).... set a timer and boomsky.

divers arent needed.

plus... there was a post like 20 pages back pointing out that multiple NATO helicopters had been switched in and out on-station somewhere in the Baltic for something like 7 straight days.

and then the intel report where we told Germany that Russia was about o bomb the pipeline and the pieces come together pretty quickly

our copter might literally have watched a russian boat set a fucking bomb on the pipe

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ABSR said:

Deep diving is any dive past 60 feet/18 meters, with a limit for recreational scuba divers of 130 feet/40 meters.   So 70 meters is around 210 feet and would require either specially trained and equipped people or special submersibles.  This is not some simple feat.

I said special divers though the Russians probably just used their subs and or drone subs designed to do just such an operation.

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

The US also sent them a huge number of trucks for use as transports.

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

The last one is the really big one that has been ignored by Soviet/Russia historiography.  The Soviet Union was only available to fight because of Lend-Lease supplies.  The Russians have long written about the T-34 as being the great achievement of Russian manufacturing/logistics that won the war (ignoring the enormous number of Patton and Sherman tanks that the Red Army used).  But the T-34 was built on an American chassis with American steel.  It ran on American diesel and fired American ammunition.  It was crewed by guys wearing American boots and eating Spam.

Yes, the Russians have always sucked in logistics. Without our truck and locomotives, they would have lost the war.

• Hook 'Em 2