7.0-ish Earthquake in Anchorage

bmbmd

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/the-latest-tsunami-alert-for-southern-alaska-after-quake/ar-BBQjfcl

A 6.6 magnitude earthquake has rocked buildings in Anchorage and caused lamp posts and trees to sway, prompting people to run out of offices and seek shelter under office desks.

The U.S. Geological Survey says the earthquake Friday morning was centered about 7 miles (12 kilometers) north of Alaska's largest city.

An Associated Press reporter working in downtown Anchorage saw cracks in a 2-storey building after the quake. It was unclear whether there were injuries.

People went back inside buildings after the earthquake but a smaller aftershock a short time later sent them running back into the streets again.

Started another thread on it my bad didn't see this one. First reports were 7.2 I believe. Had 3 total as well. Tsunami warning came after the 2nd one. GF is freaking out. Sister burnt and cut her arm pretty bad while cooking when the first one happened. Her Parents live in Wasilla and sisters in Anchorage evidently the 1 highway between them took the most damage and now no way to get to each other

Edited by Zepol87

I subscribe to USGS alerts for earthquakes (anything in TX/Oklahoma and then only stuff 6.0 or higher elsewhere).  First report was 6.6, later report came back with 7.0.  Went to the website and it looks like it was just updated rather than two different temblors.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/#{"autoUpdate"%3A["autoUpdate"]%2C"basemap"%3A"grayscale"%2C"feed"%3A"1day_m25"%2C"listFormat"%3A"default"%2C"mapposition"%3A[[-76.9206135182968%2C-166.9921875]%2C[79.6240562918881%2C169.45312499999997]]%2C"overlays"%3A["plates"]%2C"restrictListToMap"%3A["restrictListToMap"]%2C"search"%3Anull%2C"sort"%3A"newest"%2C"timezone"%3A"utc"%2C"viewModes"%3A["list"%2C"map"]%2C"event"%3A"us1000hyfh"}

It's still rumbling there.  There was just a 4.9 aftershock reported while I was on the webpage.

Maybe we can get Elon Musk to drop what he's doing and come up with a way to help. Line the streets of Alaska with pillows? Bags and bags of marshmallows? Ooo, no... was gonna say bubblewrap but you know folks would just be poppin' the hell out of that stuff and defeat the purpose.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, gecko said:

Dana Perino on Fox was interviewing a guy who literally said, "I was in the bathroom on the toilet and my kids told me they heard this loud rumbling sound and felt the house shake".....wish I had it captured.

Come to my house, I'm pretty sure I'll be re-enacting that sometime this evening.

Didn't they start a fracking boom up there last year?  Seems like I remember reading something about that. 

After the fracking boom in Oklahoma in 2011, whereupon OK went from 3 smallish Earthquakes a year to 600 earthquakes a year, I'm always curious to see if these big earthquakes are in areas where fracking is going on...or is in a boom phase. 

Green lights from the Trump administration

"A number of these new wells will be fracked – the first use of this technique in the Arctic. One or more of the oil-bearing rock units at sites being explored on the North Slope have low permeability, meaning that oil can't flow within them very well or at all. Company engineers expect that hydraulic fracturing will be able to free such oil so it can be produced. Such has been the result for other shales and low-permeability reservoirs in places like North Dakota and Texas."

Article was posted in April, 2017  https://phys.org/news/2017-04-fracking-arctic-alaska-oil-boom.html#jCp

Just started fracking last year, looks like. 

44 minutes ago, Monster said:

Didn't they start a fracking boom up there last year?  Seems like I remember reading something about that. 

After the fracking boom in Oklahoma in 2011, whereupon OK went from 3 smallish Earthquakes a year to 600 earthquakes a year, I'm always curious to see if these big earthquakes are in areas where fracking is going on...or is in a boom phase. 

Alaska has always had earthquakes.  It's on a major fault line. The fracking probably isn't helping though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monster said:

"A number of these new wells will be fracked – the first use of this technique in the Arctic. One or more of the oil-bearing rock units at sites being explored on the North Slope have low permeability, meaning that oil can't flow within them very well or at all. Company engineers expect that hydraulic fracturing will be able to free such oil so it can be produced. Such has been the result for other shales and low-permeability reservoirs in places like North Dakota and Texas."

Article was posted in April, 2017  https://phys.org/news/2017-04-fracking-arctic-alaska-oil-boom.html#jCp

Anchorage is about 600 miles from the North Slope. 

Anchorage is in the Ring of Fire.  It's on the boundary between the North American plate and the Pacific plate.  Everything on that line is prone to earthquakes.

Also frac'ing does not cause earthquakes.  Wastewater injection does.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Monster said:

Article was posted in April, 2017  ttps://phys.org/news/2017-04-fracking-arctic-alaska-oil-boohm.html#jCp

That is some top shelf "fake news" (aka lies). Fracturing has been going on in Alaska for decades. The majority of the fracs in Alaska are small (<1MM lbs prop, rates below 40 BPM). And the number of fracs going on annually is also still tiny (on the order of dozens of fracs total in the entire state). If you don't believe me, peruse the publicly available government-run database of Alaskan fracturing permits here: http://aogweb.state.ak.us/DataMiner3/Forms/FracturedWells.aspx. The idea that fracing is having any measurable impact on Alaskan seismicity is absurd. Recall that the "big one" happened in 1964, before oil was even a thing in Alaska.

That said, this was my first experience with a big quake, and it scared the shit out of me. No real damage to property or people (other than a few broken glasses) in my household, but I definitely was thinking that I might die. It all happened in a flash. I'm sitting there reading a paper, a slight shake, and all of a sudden I'm scrambling for a doorway while the whole house feels like its ready to come down around my ears. Fuuuuuuck that.

2 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Wait people still think Fracking causes earthquakes? 

Especially earthquakes this strong, it's ridiculous. It's like believing someone dropping a cherry bomb in a toilet can cause a volcanic eruption. The amount of energy involved in a magnitude 6.6 quake is absurd, thinking that can be due to some fucking human-run oil extraction activities is completely insane.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Monster said:

Dude.  It's Alaska.

For reference, for me to fly from Anchorage ANC to the North Slope (Deadhorse SCC) in an Alaska Air 737, it took an hour an a half/ hour 45 minutes. Pretty good jog for any drilling related work to affect Anchorage. Couple of pictures from April below. One is Anchorage, the other outside of Prudhoe Bay/Deadhorse taken about two days apart.

The environmental rules there are very restrictive. 29f1cd9922ccf694430df46294a2c0cf.jpg6f1b16667ca954c40e1e4c5d51a8d14a.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Maybe we can get Elon Musk to drop what he's doing and come up with a way to help. Line the streets of Alaska with pillows? Bags and bags of marshmallows? Ooo, no... was gonna say bubblewrap but you know folks would just be poppin' the hell out of that stuff and defeat the purpose.

This is Elon Musk we're talking about here.  It would be something like having...launchers (?)...for that Demolition Man car accident foam stuff installed everywhere.

E: And personal submarines for everyone for the tsunamis.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker
  • Like 1