Players Skipping Bowl Games Thread

Patrick Bateman

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It really isn't apples and oranges. It's actually a pretty apt analogy. 

You very well might have other students you are working on projects with. You might have professors that will be sad to see you go. You will have to make the decision to drop out and not graduate and never have a college degree on your wall. 

Say you drop out right before a big team project is due for a final grade in a 4000 level CS course, and you're the best student on the project.

How is that "apples and oranges" from not playing in a bowl game? The only difference is risking physical injury. But maybe you are risking your IP and a cushy job if you don't drop out on the spot when Apple tells you.

It's not a perfect analogy but it's a decent thought exercise.

I will never agree with anyone quitting on their team.

If you are afraid of getting hurt maybe you should  be a programmer instead of a football player and as others have mentioned if I was  football GM I would not draft your pussy ass.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I will never agree with anyone quitting on their team.

If you are afraid of getting hurt maybe you should  be a programmer instead of a football player and as others have mentioned if I was  football GM I would not draft your pussy ass.

They should continue to be football players considering they are about to be drafted.  They can reconsider when you get an NFL GM position

13 minutes ago, SDG said:

Bowl games probably dying a slow death..... Wonder how WVU fans feel that already bought tickets to the Bowl Game??

At least Camping World Bow being in Orlando not a bad location....

Edited by LTtxfan

22 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

It’s a shitty thing to do to the university that got you where you are, not to mention fucking over every single one of your teammates. 

Yeah most positions I don't really mind it, but as the QB you are completely fucking over your teammates like no one else can.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah most positions I don't really mind it, but as the QB you are completely fucking over your teammates like no one else can.

I agree with this but find it a little hypicritical to limit it to all positions except QB.  When everyone else was doing it I was strongly on their side but the QB thing irked me and it shouldn't...  

These kids have the right to skip the bowl as they aren't getting paid, but I think that should mean they should forfeit any future accolades from the university.  This should include things like coming back to finish your degree tuition free.  you're no longer a scholarship athlete so you should pay just like anyone else.     

Edited by SDG

13 minutes ago, SDG said:

I agree with this but find it a little hypicritical to limit it to all positions except QB.  When everyone else was doing it I was strongly on their side but the QB thing irked me and it shouldn't...  

These kids have the right to skip the bowl as they aren't getting paid, but I think that should mean they should forfeit any future accolades from the university.  This should include things like coming back to finish your degree tuition free.  you're no longer a scholarship athlete so you should pay just like anyone else.     

I get the sentiment, but as the trend of skipping bowl games continues, all this would accomplish would be to provide ammo for other programs for negative recruiting.

Yeah... reason to never ever buy bowl tickets in advance if it isn't a playoff bowl anymore...  Thanks CFP for putting the final nail in for completely changing college football for the worse.

Getting to the point where they might as well start an NFL development league to get all these players out of the college game and go to a club football league where college will still be part of the equation.

I don't blame the players skipping one bit, but as a fan the college game is continuing to head in the wrong direction....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah... reason to never ever buy bowl tickets in advance if it isn't a playoff bowl anymore...  Thanks CFP for putting the final nail in for completely changing college football for the worse.

Getting to the point where they might as well start an NFL development league to get all these players out of the college game and go to a club football league where college will still be part of the equation.

I don't blame the players skipping one bit, but as a fan the college game is continuing to head in the wrong direction....

At some point players are going to start skipping playoff games, too, if they are projected to be drafted at a spot that guarantees $20 million plus.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Except maybe head coach.  Good thing no head coaches have ever bailed on a bowl game to prepare for a new job, or this place would have blown up with outrage.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 7

Grier is a pussy.
Fuck these guys quitting on their team.
Boo hoo. Fuck these bowls. I hope more players keep doing this in bigger numbers. Make these bowls even more unwatchable than they already are. Good for Grier.

Set up a real playoffs like every other sport or get used to this happening.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Boo hoo. Fuck these bowls. I hope more players keep doing this in bigger numbers. Make these bowls even more unwatchable than they already are. Good for Grier.

Set up a real playoffs like every other sport or get used to this happening.

Let's see if you have that same tone come April.  

There is no such thing as a meaningless game. Contests are inherently meaningful. For the same reason people like to ‘win’ online conversations, people are driven to win at sports. College football will also always have additional import, including showing loyalty to brothers and school. Criticizing the championship as less meaningful because it is not an NCAA tournament flies in the face of the total lack of legitimacy typically granted to the NCAA in other discussions. Virtually any player would quit early for $10 billion. None for $.02. Like us, they operate on value judgments that are usually both qualitative and quantitative. Let them decide what price is fair for them— after all, we are not talking about murder for hire— merely in which games to play.
Lol wut?

EVERY aggy game is meaningless. EVERY ONE.

even the dead dogs and bushes don't give a shit.

It's going to happen sooner or later. 

It's been happening for a long, long time.

Operative word being sooner.

Big Red Motors in da house!

Bowl games probably dying a slow death..... Wonder how WVU fans feel that already bought tickets to the Bowl Game??

At least Camping World Bowl  being in Orlando not a bad location....

The Citrus Bowl is in a real shitty part of Orlando. Think Cotton Bowl without the State Fairgrounds around it.

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Goddamn I was hoping someone would wreck this piece of shit 

I don’t know if Murray could have wrecked the system, but he could have—and still could—throw a wrench in the selection process. All he had to do is wait until O.U. was selected for the playoffs, and wait until he won the Heisman,  and then announce that he had decided to skip the game—for winter baseball or some such nonsense. Not only would O.U.’s chances of beating Alabama go from less-than-not good to no chance at all, but without the draw of Murry the TV ratings would hit an all-time low for a playoff game. Such an event would dominate college football talk for several months and just might lead to some changes...or not.

On 12/2/2018 at 8:34 PM, hookem48 said:

As Agents talk to more of the hopeful NFL candidates, stories like Jaylon Smith's horrible injury in a meaningless Bowl Game will cause more players to skip this year's Bowl Games...... 

Risk of injury could be too costly for most players........

33 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

As Agents talk to more of the hopeful NFL candidates, stories like Jaylon Smith's horrible injury in a meaningless Bowl Game will cause more players to skip this year's Bowl Games...... 

Risk of injury could be too costly for most players........

Conservatively Jaylon Smith would've gone by the 10th pick in the 2016 draft which, according to spotrac, has a total contract value of $15,152,320. After the knee injury he fell to the 34th pick which has a total value of $6,494,970. There aren't 31 other Jerry Jones in the league. Most people thought Smith would've fallen into the 3rd round had the Cowboys not taken him as high in the 2nd round as they did. Falling to the 3rd round would've cut his already discounted contract by another half. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

Will Grier could snap his leg in half in the bowl game and his wife and kid would still be better off financially than 99% of the rest of the country and 99.999% of the state of WV. Yes I understand not wanting to risk millions on one last game but don't try and act like he's justified more than anyone else because he's married with a kid. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Will Grier could snap his leg in half in the bowl game and his wife and kid would still be better off financially than 99% of the rest of the country and 99.999% of the state of WV. Yes I understand not wanting to risk millions on one last game but don't try and act like he's justified more than anyone else because he's married with a kid. 

But not playing in that game guarantees that your wife and kid may never have to work a day in their life. Easy decision here, its the same reason we all wished D’onta Foreman well when he declared early and didnt bitch about him coming back. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

its the same reason we all wished D’onta Foreman well when he declared early and didnt bitch about him coming back. 

That's the not the same and you know it. If we had made a bowl game and D'Onta had skipped it, there would have been a lot more mixed feelings from this community and others.

Edited by Machinator

12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

But not playing in that game guarantees that your wife and kid may never have to work a day in their life. Easy decision here, its the same reason we all wished D’onta Foreman well when he declared early and didnt bitch about him coming back. 

Maybe it's just me but I sure as fuck don't want my kids to never have to work a day in their lives regardless of if I become rich tomorrow or not. 

Grier's playing career could end tomorrow and he'd likely have a 6 figure coaching/asst coaching whatever salary there for him if he's not a total fuckup. That's plenty of money for anyone. 

On 12/7/2018 at 9:30 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:
On 12/7/2018 at 8:42 AM, Doc Reeves said:
Somehow I feel that will happen to us on our first playoff appearance 

Lulz...ehlinger out...garret gilbets little brother in?

HA!  Sam would crawl over broken glass to play in any game where he is wearing a Texas jersey. 

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Will Grier has a wife and kid. And he just watched his left tackle announce that he will be sitting out the game. Pretty easy decision in my eyes. 

If you have a wife and kid at 22 you've already made horrible decisions in your life. Might as well skip the bowl game. 

On 12/7/2018 at 8:15 AM, Treefidy said:

And Hill.  

I don't know either, but since our biggest problems were on defense and 4 of the 5 who left early represent 1/3 of that squad, I would say we are likely 12-1 and sitting in OUs spot.  

So the cake was almost baked but then it got pulled out of the oven too soon? I don't know if any of those dudes would have stuck around for Charlie -- Hill was gone for sure, at the very least, because of his knuckleheadedness. They probably would not have stayed, but a regime change will hasten early exits almost every time. (This is not to argue the merits of Herman vs Strong as overall coaches, but to point out a general fact across the board.)

And it's pointless to wonder about this sort of thing, anyway. I've giving up after 30 years of doing so, beginning when I was a 12-year-old Phi Slamma Jamma fan. "If only Rob Williams had stuck around for 1983, if only Clyde the Glide stuck around for 1984..." And then on down through the decades to VY and Jamaal. I am often critical of Mack but for a long time he had a great gift for persuading dudes to stick around for that one last year, and it seemed to have worked out okay for both the program and the players, but man, what if Ricky had blown out his achilles senior year?

At any rate, the best teams just get over premature attrition.