Players Skipping Bowl Games Thread

Patrick Bateman

Oh, so you’re skipping our bowl game to get ready for the NFL?   OK then, thanks for your service.    BTW , all of your affiliation with our school sports and any stats has been expunged. We have no knowledge of you participating in any sporting event. All of your courses have been retroactively regraded and updated to an F. You are also in arrears for all tuition at the special ‘I’m skipping the bowl game for NFL prep” special rate of FIVE MILLION DOLLARS PER CREDIT HOUR,  with a minimum of 72 credit hours, regardless of how many credit hours you took here. In addition, all season ticket holders will be re-embursed their annual fee which also will be billed to you. All of this is due at the close of business today. If not paid, then all of your present and future assets will be frozen and confiscated until said amount is paid. Until this said amount is paid, a special interest rate of 36.5%(compounded daily)  will be applied. Good luck in the NFL ........

• Fuck You 8

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

As Agents talk to more of the hopeful NFL candidates, stories like Jaylon Smith's horrible injury in a meaningless Bowl Game will cause more players to skip this year's Bowl Games...... 

Risk of injury could be too costly for most players........

Then buy a fucking insurance policy...

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, US183 said:

Oh, so you’re skipping our bowl game to get ready for the NFL?   OK then, thanks for your service.    BTW , all of your affiliation with our school sports and any stats has been expunged. We have no knowledge of you participating in any sporting event. All of your courses have been retroactively regraded and updated to an F. You are also in arrears for all tuition at the special ‘I’m skipping the bowl game for NFL prep” special rate of FIVE MILLION DOLLARS PER CREDIT HOUR,  with a minimum of 72 credit hours, regardless of how many credit hours you took here. In addition, all season ticket holders will be re-embursed their annual fee which also will be billed to you. All of this is due at the close of business today. If not paid, then all of your present and future assets will be frozen and confiscated until said amount is paid. Until this said amount is paid, a special interest rate of 36.5%(compounded daily)  will be applied. Good luck in the NFL ........

That'll help recruiting

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, US183 said:

Is this performance art?

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

That's the not the same and you know it. If we had made a bowl game and D'Onta had skipped it, there would have been a lot more mixed feelings from this community and others.

Doubtful, he was really beat up at the end of the season. 

Melt, bitch
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Lmao. I hope this is tongue in cheek, otherwise, it's the saddest shit I've ever read. Are your feelings hurt that much over a pointless scrimmage no one even attends to watch?

23 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 hours ago, US183 said:

Lmao. I hope this is tongue in cheek, otherwise, it's the saddest shit I've ever read. Are your feelings hurt that much over a pointless scrimmage no one even attends to watch?

I think people are under the impression that school is the first priority for star football players at D-I schools.

They are there to play football. Period.

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I think people are under the impression that school is the first priority for star football players at D-I schools.

They are there to play football. Period.

And on the other side D1 schools aren't playing football to get these students an education (just look at the majors they funnel them into). They're there to make money for the school. Period.

Hmmmm...... Wasn't going to say anything but, I've stuck my foot in my mouth before so it won't hurt to do it again too much. One word LOYALTY. Both to your fan base and your University. I just don't understand it, of course I'm old-school as I'm an old bastard, I think but by leaving early you're making a concrete statement about yourself, your character, and your selfishness, not to mention your lack of gratitude and dedication towards your team-mates.

End rant

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 5

On 12/8/2018 at 4:01 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Boo hoo. Fuck these bowls. I hope more players keep doing this in bigger numbers. Make these bowls even more unwatchable than they already are. Good for Grier.

Set up a real playoffs like every other sport or get used to this happening.

What a terrible fucking take. I thought reading your takes on the merits of cheering for OU was acid to my eyes, and now I see this. So you want less college football and shittier college football games? What is the end game in that vein? Some magical 64 team playoff system that isn't going to happen in our great grandchildrens' lives, much less our own? Right.

I realize that you are a fucking NFL honk who basically views college football as some sort of conduit to feeding your precious Cowboys some new wife abusers to cheer for on Sundays. What I don't understand is why in the fuck you spend so much time on a college football board pontificating about as much. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Legally speaking if the school wanted to go scorched earth on their own recruiting to fuck over someone skipping a bowl game, what could they actually do?  Bad mouth them to the NFL or make them pay back 1/13th or 1/12th tuition/room & board that year? 

Nothing..... Maybe the could try to sue over breach of contract, but that's not a can of worms they want to open.  Coaches could always bad mouth them to potential teams, but they might as well shoot themselves in the head if they were going to do it to every player who makes this decision, and there's nothing that would have legal ramifications.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What a terrible fucking take. I thought reading your takes on the merits of cheering for OU was acid to my eyes, and now I see this. So you want less college football and shittier college football games? What is the end game in that vein? Some magical 64 team playoff system that isn't going to happen in our great grandchildrens' lives, much less our own? Right.

I realize that you are a fucking NFL honk who basically views college football as some sort of conduit to feeding your precious Cowboys some new wife abusers to cheer for on Sundays. What I don't understand is why in the fuck you spend so much time on a college football board pontificating about as much. 

QUESTION 1:   Would you say a 16 team playoff which allows every division I football team in the country a chance to compete is better or worse than a 4 team playoff where 80% of the teams are disqualified before the season starts, rendering their entire seasons irrelevant nationally?   Since the answer is obvious, unless you're a troll, feel free to skip to question 2

QUESTION 2: If the existing bowl system dies because of a 16 team playoff, would your feelings be hurt?  

QUESTION 3:  Is it, in your humblest of opinions, truly inconceivable that there will ever be a 16 team, or dream big--a 32 team, playoff?

9 minutes ago, Monster said:

QUESTION 1:   Would you say a 16 team playoff which allows every division I football team in the country a chance to compete is better or worse than a 4 team playoff where 80% of the teams are disqualified before the season starts, rendering their entire seasons irrelevant nationally?   Since the answer is obvious, unless you're a troll, feel free to skip to question 2

QUESTION 2: If the existing bowl system dies because of a 16 team playoff, would your feelings be hurt?  

QUESTION 3:  Is it, in your humblest of opinions, truly inconceivable that there will ever be a 16 team, or dream big--a 32 team, playoff?

None of that will happen in our lifetimes. I'd also like to see drugs completely legalized, taxed, and regulated, but that ain't happening either, and the reasons are the same - there is too much money involved with too many people who will be adversely impacted by the changes to the more logical solution. 

I'm all in favor of an expanded playoff system. That considered. we've gone through 140 years of college football without anything resembling a real playoff, and nothing happening right now is going to change that. It's the only major sport in which there's not a legitimate playoff system in place to determine a winner, and we've accepted that as fans for far too long to expect systemic changes due to changing fanbase interests. 

Maybe force them to leave campus? Not allow them to use any of the training facilities?

It's a horrible PR move.

Legally speaking if the school wanted to go scorched earth on their own recruiting to fuck over someone skipping a bowl game, what could they actually do?  Bad mouth them to the NFL or make them pay back 1/13th or 1/12th tuition/room & board that year? 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

None of that will happen in our lifetimes. I'd also like to see drugs completely legalized, taxed, and regulated, but that ain't happening either, and the reasons are the same - there is too much money involved with too many people who will be adversely impacted by the changes to the more logical solution. 

I'm all in favor of an expanded playoff system. That considered. we've gone through 140 years of college football without anything resembling a real playoff, and nothing happening right now is going to change that. It's the only major sport in which there's not a legitimate playoff system in place to determine a winner, and we've accepted that as fans for far too long to expect systemic changes due to changing fanbase interests. 

Maybe not in 'your' lifetime...but for people who aren't going to die within the next 10-15 years, they'll see a 16 team playoff.   It won't be fan displeasure that changes it--I agree with you there.  It'll be ad revenue.  And to a lesser degree, conference/university displeasure.  

"Should I sponsor this exhibition bowl game between Tulane and Louisiana, or should I spend my ad money on a first round of a 16 team playoff game between UCF and Georgia?  Hmmm..."  

I agree CFB has been comically slow to adapt to transportation advances.  The first 40-50 years of your 140 years, when the bowl system was created, teams had to ride trains to opponents fields because fucking cars didn't exist yet...hence, 1 game regional 'playoffs', aka bowl games.   But I'm confident that greed/ad revenue will get us a real playoff before I'm dead.   

meaningless bowl games are meaningless.

and these dudes' teammates probably support their decision.

college football is a business. that's all it is. don't be surprised when your "employees" make a business decision.

and coaches can use the opportunity to give someone else the touches in practice who is going to be around next year anyways, and let them have more game time to gain more experience.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 7:30 PM, SHOOTER12 said:

Hmmmm...... Wasn't going to say anything but, I've stuck my foot in my mouth before so it won't hurt to do it again too much. One word LOYALTY. Both to your fan base and your University. I just don't understand it, of course I'm old-school as I'm an old bastard, I think but by leaving early you're making a concrete statement about yourself, your character, and your selfishness, not to mention your lack of gratitude and dedication towards your team-mates.

End rant

Schools should reward loyalty by insuring the player in question for an amount equal to the expected guaranteed signing bonus for his projected pick in the NFL draft.

Otherwise, this is just the way it's going to be.

On 12/14/2018 at 8:40 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

It’s not your money. Wish them luck. 

The insurance idea paid for by the school for the bowl game is a great idea. 

they'd still skip.  the insurance is a red herring.  unless there is something new, it doesn't pay unless you have a career ending injury, not if you get a knee injury that drops you from the 1st/2nd to 5th/6th round. 

I agree.  They are skipping because they don't want to play.  The money just gives them the excuse.  As long as it doesn't hurt their draft stock this will continue.  They probably don't want to go though the grind of practices or the daily amateur athlete life any more than they have to.  Even if you'd give up everything to live their life, they really don't care.  Just like every sport it means way more to the fans than it does to the players. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Please, if you are skipping your team's bowl game don't say you are doing so to "prepare for the draft" because that is total bullshit. What do you have to do to prepare besides work out which you already do regularly........just say it is because you are afraid of getting hurt and losing money.

Actually is is not total BS...you skip bowl season you get a quicker start on workouts designed 100% for the combine and team workouts.

On 12/2/2018 at 7:47 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Good for them. Have a real playoff system and maybe this doesn't happen like it is. And I mean real playoffs. Not even just 8 teams. Go to 32 like the other divisions of college football. No point in all risking yourself in a scrimmage that means zero.

Division 2 playoffs has 28 teams, sir. However, I do agree. Use all the NY6 games as playoff games with at-larges. At least 16 teams.