Players Skipping Bowl Games Thread

Patrick Bateman

Last year, Malik (who was iffy health wise), Connor Williams and DeShon Elliott skipped our bowl game, which pissed off a portion of the fanbase.  This isn't a phenomenon specific to Texas as a growing number of draft eligible players in P5 schools will skip these exhibition games to start training for their pro days or the combine earlier, as well as protect their health.  This year, Texas is in a NY6 game and it's doubtful we have anyone healthy skip this game, yet we will no doubt get a cadre of dudes who will sit out.  In fact, we have two premium prospects who have already announced they're forgoing their bowl games.  

I understand the arguments for both sides, however this will absolutely not stop the popularity of these decisions.  What will be the impact for these bowl games going forward if some of the sexier names sit out?  Will that change if the CFP expands to 8 games?  What about if it expanded, like the FCS playoffs, to 16 teams?  Regardless, consider this a place to discuss this situation, impacts or a depository for announcements for non-Texas players in the coming weeks.  

Okay.  Cool.  Hook em'.

• Like 3

Thanks for starting this. I also root for someone to start an early exit for the draft thread. 

I am hoping that with us playing in the Sugar Bowl, and the rarity of that, most of our guys feel some sense of duty and honor to compete. I realize that is naive. Fuck it.

A lot of guys gained nothing or lost ground by sitting out last year, Elliott included. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Good pre-emptive thread.

Noah Fant, TE from Iowa, is also skipping his bowl game. He's going in the first round in mock drafts I've seen.

You are something else. I generally appreciate your capacity for posting, but I also worry that you’re a Russian bot. I wish there was some way to prove that you aren’t co-opting all of us into some sort of Bolshevik revival. 

• Like 1

Good for them. Have a real playoff system and maybe this doesn't happen like it is. And I mean real playoffs. Not even just 8 teams. Go to 32 like the other divisions of college football. No point in all risking yourself in a scrimmage that means zero.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Greedy Williams, cornerback from LSU, is declaring early. TBD on whether he will play in the bowl game.

As he's one of the best DBs in the country, this is of course good news for Texas.

Why is an LSU player not playing in a bowl game good news for Texas?

Good for them. Have a real playoff system and maybe this doesn't happen like it is. And I mean real playoffs. Not even just 8 teams. Go to 32 like the other divisions of college football. No point in all risking yourself in a scrimmage that means zero.
I was waiting for your same dumbass take from last year. Why didn't these guys start sitting out 4 to 6 games ago. This is an amateur sport with a mythical national championship. Every game is meaningless.

If you're afraid of getting hurt don't play. DKR would call them pussies and so would I. Sitting out really improved Jefferson's and William's prospects last year.
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I feel the same. It is nothing more then theater to put cash in the Bowl game coffers that the players never see. If the games actually meant something I think the players, as well as us the fans would look at it somewhat differently.

If you notice at least as of this hour not a word out of the four in the playoff dealing with early departures, all of which have players that will play on Sunday. That is  unless I missed something?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

I was waiting for your same dumbass take from last year. Why didn't these guys start sitting out 4 to 6 games ago. This is an amateur sport with a mythical national championship. Every game is meaningless.

If you're afraid of getting hurt don't play. DKR would call them pussies and so would I. Sitting out really improved Jefferson's and William's prospects last year.

That would be different. And you are obviously unaware of the NFL prescreen evaluation addressing players quitting on their team. A criteria that carries with it a point value. If they shut down too early they receive an unsatisfactory mark in that category. A single game, or an injury like Bosa gets them a pass.

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You are something else. I generally appreciate your capacity for posting, but I also worry that you’re a Russian bot. I wish there was some way to prove that you aren’t co-opting all of us into some sort of Bolshevik revival. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Just now, pops said:

Honestly can't blame them. Other than 3 games everything else is just an exercise in futility. 

As said in the Sugar-specific version of this, our seniors and good juniors are fringe-y enough where an audition against a roster full of NFL caliber dudes can do them a lot of good.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

On the internet anyway, not to their face. Who's the real pussy again? 

• Like 1

Transferring for more playing time?  I get it... thanks for your play and best of luck to you.

Leaving early for the money?  I get it... thanks for your play and best of luck to you.

Ditching your team while the season is still ongoing?    Go fuck yourself.  

• Like 5

Just now, Your Mom said:

Transferring for more playing time?  I get it... thanks for your play and best of luck to you.

Leaving early for the money?  I get it... thanks for your play and best of luck to you.

The season isn’t still going on if you are team isn’t in the playoff. It’s the post-season. Meaning after the season.

• Like 1

Any bowl game that's not part of the CFP is technically an exhibition game, but the bowl counts for statistics (although this wasn't always the case) and win-loss records. I think most Texas fans would tell you that there was a big difference between going 7-6 last year vs. 6-7 (even though both records are well below our expectations). And you can bet that if Collin Johnson gets at least 55 yards receiving against UGA, our staff will be proclaiming at every recruit's doorstep about how our offense produced two 1,000-yard receivers in a single season.

The bowl game may not "matter", but it's not immaterial either.

Also depends on circumstances. WVU fans are probably pretty unenthused about being in the Camping World Bowl when just a few weeks ago they were dreaming of a conference championship, NY6, and maybe even the CFP, even their bowl game is against a pretty decent Syracuse (and old Big East rival to boot). Meanwhile, the lowly Texas Bowl game against a boring and mediocre Missouri team meant the world to the team when you consider what it did to promote program buy-in and propel us into a strong NSD2 close for the 2018 signing class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The season isn’t still going on if you are team isn’t in the playoff. It’s the post-season. Meaning after the season.

What a stupid fucking thing to point out.  Semantics. Are you saying the off-season has begun?  If you want to be a bitch about it the season consists of regular season games and post season games.  Yeah the wording may not satisfy an English teacher but bowl games matter. We are still practicing for an upcoming game. The score will be kept. The game will be added to our record. We will be judged on it. The season is on-going  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaysOff said:

It did improve their prospects by guaranteeing they didn't get hurt in a meaningless bowl game.

• Like 2

Unless you’re in the playoff, I support any player sitting out if they want. If they are high enough in the draft that getting injured could cost them large amounts of money, then playing in an exhibition game isn’t worth it. In fact if you’re a projected first rounder, it’s objectively stupid. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Totally agree. Quitting the team for selfish reasons before the end of the season is a dishonorable act.

Some of you assholes would be singing a different tune if Vince had quit before the USC game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Unless your team is in the playoffs, bowls have been relegated to exhibition game for meaning. The extra weeks of practice is the most important part.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP