Players Skipping Bowl Games Thread

Patrick Bateman

As a fan obviously I’d like to see teams meet each other at full strength in the postseason. But I don’t see how I could get mad at a young person who likely came from a less-than-privileged background, who has worked their ass off since like age six to get to a point where they have a very real chance to make millions of dollars, who chooses not to risk all of that to play in one more college football game. Even if they want to play, they might reasonably feel they owe it to their family to make the smart business decision when so much is on the line.

And it’s worth bearing in mind that the kind of players who leave early have generally contributed a ton to the program in the time they did play. Even without the bowl game the investment in their scholarship has paid off more than most. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

As a fan obviously I’d like to see teams meet each other at full strength in the postseason. But I don’t see how I could get mad at a young person who likely came from a less-than-privileged background, who has worked their ass off since like age six to get to a point where they have a very real chance to make millions of dollars, who chooses not to risk all of that to play in one more college football game. Even if they want to play, they might reasonably feel they owe it to their family to make the smart business decision when so much is on the line.

And it’s worth bearing in mind that the kind of players who leave early have generally contributed a ton to the program in the time they did play. Even without the bowl game the investment in their scholarship has paid off more than most. 

Good point but to turn it on its head,  when Christian McCaffrey does it,  does that change your mind? I'm guessing he came from a good background where money wasn't a problem.

Just now, Butch Had Not said:

Good point but to turn it on its head,  when Christian McCaffrey does it,  does that change your mind? I'm guessing he came from a good background where money wasn't a problem.

I’m probably not quite as sympathetic, but we’re still talking about amounts of money that, if managed well, could get a person set up for life. If you have $10m in the bank/investments, you can spend nearly $300k a year and expect your net worth to stay around the same long term.

For a high first round pick they’re probably gonna have more than that from their signing bonus alone, after taxes. McCaffrey may have come from a comfortable upbringing but he’s probably not set like that. 

17 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

I'm torn.  You're 100% right with what you say.  OTOH, the university has given you a LOT of valuable stuff.  A free education, room, and board.  Helped you build  your own brand, that'll pay dividends the rest of your life.  (Will Troy Smith or Vince Young ever have to get real jobs?)  Olympic-level training.  Players could forego college and play in Canada 3 years.  May could play baseball right out of HS.  They do not, because college football is a better return on their time.

All that said, many bowls don'e mean much.  In fact, a player leaving gives his replacement more playing time and prep for next year.  Regarding Ohio State's Dremont Jones, I think he'd regret not playing in the Rose Bowl.

Those of you who think the bowls are meaningless, please post what your plans are on Jan 1 while the rest of us are watching our team. 

Go ask Colt and Quan if beating Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl was meaningless.  Ask Vince if beating Michigan in his first Rose Bowl was meaningless.  Ask Major Applewhite if the last drive was meaningless when we were down by 3 with 1:49 to go in the 2001 Holiday Bowl.  If we beat Georgia there will be threads on here (or the next board after this one dissolves) a decade from now talking it.   

There are teams who can complain that it's meaningless to go to a bowl game if it isn't for a natty.  WE ARE NOT ONE OF THOSE TEAMS.  Alabama can claim that right now, Clemson, even Ohio State...  Every one of us knew it wasn't going to be a MNC year for Texas before this season even started so by some of your logic the whole season and every game in it was meaningless.  Beating OU in October was meaningless?  We haven't played for MNC in a decade.  A fucking decade.   We are still clawing our way back to that level of having those expectations and having them be realistic.  Bowls games are a big part of that process.  

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Machinator said:

It started in earnest in 2016, when Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffrey sat out and went on to be drafted in the top 10. That emboldened other players.

12 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

When did this start? I mean, it seems to have gotten a little more popular as of late.

Arguably one could say it started in 2015 when Myles Jack at UCLA decided not to come back mid-season from his preseason injury, despite being ready to play by October 6th.  Seems to have worked out, as he was selected 36th and is still with the Jaguars three seasons later.

5 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Those of you who think the bowls are meaningless, please post what your plans are on Jan 1 while the rest of us are watching our team. 

Are you serious?  I do all sorts of meaningless shit.  In fact, I've been up for an hour and a half today, and haven't done a single meaningful thing.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Are you serious?  I do all sorts of meaningless shit.  In fact, I've been up for an hour and a half today, and haven't done a single meaningful thing.  

Well that's true.  I'm in my recliner drinking coffee and surfing Surly and  my biggest decision of the day is whether to drop off some kid's clothes at goodwill before I eat Valentinas' for lunch or after.  But I'm not nearly as pumped about any of it as will be for the Sugar Bowl.

Some players skip bowl games from fear of injury. Same reason NFL starters see darned little work in exhibition games. 

Others, who have no real NFL prospects, are tired of playing ball. They aren't playing ball next year and fifteen more practices to play in the Mothball Classic doesn't appeal to them. 

Others don't get along with the coaching staff, and see it as an early way out. 

Some, who have NFL prospects, don't bleed school colors. The school was a means to an end. 

I've seen several players that skipped bowl games to "get ready for the draft" add 25 pounds (and not the good weight.) There are more guys than we'd like to admit that have accomplished everything they want in the NFL when they sign the contract.

1 minute ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

Wonder how long it’ll take before HS players who have already committed start doing this?  

A high 4*-5* talent on a shit team that won’t make the playoffs or won’t have any real chance of winning in playoffs.  Why not just shut it down and train for next level.  

You really think there aren't some who already do?

What’s the accepted draft projection to understand a players desire to sit out? 1st and 2nd round talent?  How about 3rd. Money is money. I almost see the point of skipping the whataburger credit union bowl if you’re a 1-2 round talent. Maybe even a high 3rd. But don’t come at me with a 4-5 round grade wanting to skip a bowl game.  Also can a bowl game increase draft stock or vice versa compared to a body of work? Have we seen anyone have a so so year then dominate the bowl and bump his grade up?  Some of you guys have great memories. Not this old man. (Notarmybratold)

10 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Have we seen anyone have a so so year then dominate the bowl and bump his grade up? 

Dicko the Punto

[edit: missed reading the "so-so year" part, but i think dickson pushed his grade up bc of the bowl for sure]

Edited by Bottlecap

3 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Dicko the Punto

[edit: missed reading the "so-so year" part, but i think dickson pushed his grade up bc of the bowl for sure]

Yeah I think a punter getting mvp and social media blowing up really got his name out there and earned him some cash. 

19 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

What’s the accepted draft projection to understand a players desire to sit out? 1st and 2nd round talent?  How about 3rd. Money is money. I almost see the point of skipping the whataburger credit union bowl if you’re a 1-2 round talent. Maybe even a high 3rd. But don’t come at me with a 4-5 round grade wanting to skip a bowl game.  Also can a bowl game increase draft stock or vice versa compared to a body of work? Have we seen anyone have a so so year then dominate the bowl and bump his grade up?  Some of you guys have great memories. Not this old man. (Notarmybratold)

I'm too lazy to look it up, but IIRC, after the second round, the salary flattens out quite a bit, and fifth rounders don't make that much less than 3rd rounders. Most obvious advantage is that the higher the draft rank, the more of a chance the player gets to stick with the team. GMs reputations are on the line with higher draft picks, and cutting third rounders looks worse than cutting seventh rounders. 

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Weed Eater Bowl is now all Walk-ons.  

If the bowl game has a corporate name without a classic name also, it's not worth risking your multi-million dollar career over, period.  I'd sit out the Cheez-It Bowl out of principal even if I didn't have an NFL career to worry about.

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

No surprise. Signed with a different coach, and it's the Las Vegas Bowl vs. Fresno State.

I think this will be the way players start avoiding some of the misguided criticism of them.  Sign with an agent, and they aren't allowed to play in the bowl game.  #businessdecision

18 hours ago, DaysOff said:

I was waiting for your same dumbass take from last year. Why didn't these guys start sitting out 4 to 6 games ago. This is an amateur sport with a mythical national championship. Every game is meaningless.

If you're afraid of getting hurt don't play. DKR would call them pussies and so would I. Sitting out really improved Jefferson's and William's prospects last year.

Goddamn right gif.

Sitting out early is a bitch ass move, and if I was in the front office an NFL team, that would definitely be a factor come draft day. The arguments about risking injury are bullshit. If you are that worried about getting injured, you should've been playing soccer or some shit.

12 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Just give me a bunch of Taylor Doyles and Jake Raulersons that'll bleed for the program and not care if they get injured representing this great university!!!!1

Jake Raulerson starting at tackle at the borderline erotic bowl... shudders.