Bowl Game RV Trip of Dominance - Road to the Sugar Bowl 2019

immamac

54 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Anyone remember the Rose Bowl RV story?  I remember it being quite funny.  Vague memory has old ass RV, breaking down in AZ, tailgating equipment mishap, other various odd stories.  

Roommate was on that trip. He should post a write up again. I remember them leaving Austin in an RV and showing up to the rose bowl in a random minivan. I don't think the RV ever left the state of AZ. 

22 hours ago, immamac said:

I've alluded to this in other threads, but it's time to post the actual plan as it has been finalized and the RV has been acquired. @scDaeDae and I will be trekking across the country to eating and drinking our way through bowl season December 26-Jan 2nd

The Plan:

Go to 5 bowl games in the span of 7 days 

12/26/18 - First Responder's Bowl - Cotton Bowl Dallas, TX
(Drive to Shreveport and stay/gamble night before independence at stadium)

12/27/18 - Independence Bowl - Independence Bowl Shreveport, LA
(Crashing in Memphis to cut up the drive)

12/28/18 - Music City Bowl - Nissan Stadium Nashville, TN
(Stay at stadium)

12/29/18 - Peach Bowl - Mercedez Benz Stadium Atlanta, GA
(Stay at stadium)

01/01/19 - Sugar Bowl - Mercedez Benz Stadium New Orleans, LA
(12/30-12/2 Stay on Ponchartrain River)RVTrip.PNG

Anyone else going to any of these games? If so we'd love to host some time of "mini Surly tailgate" at each one and an actual tailgate at the Sugar Bowl for those interested.

Also, we still do not have tickets to any of the games yet and are looking for good deals on getting into the stadiums - 2 together and not looking to pay face we will wait until after kickoff and/or hunt some down in the RV lots. Sugar Bowl tickets are a bit different and would be open to anything around face.

I'll be posting updates in the thread as we go of our (mis)adventures - Happy Bowling!

Damn. Bad ass. I've done an RV trip from Austin to NOLA stopping for the LSU/Ole Miss game in Baton Rouge Saturday, then the Saints game Sunday night. Some of the most fun I've had on a guys' trip ever.

What is the Pontchartrain river? Do you mean Lake Pontchartrain? I hope you're not staying on the north shore near Slidell/Covington. That's like an hour from the Dome and anything halfway fun. When we did our trip, we paid someone downtown to stay in their surface lot for some sort of corporate building, with the caveat that we cleared out by Monday AM. Not sure how we got hooked up on that, a friend of mine knew somebody. I can ask him for you, let me know. 

Lazy Magnolia brewery in Kiln, MS is pretty badass and right on your way back to NOLA. While you're there you can hit the Broke Spoke, which is basically a shack with a confederate flag outside and a shrine to Brett Favre, pride and joy of Kiln, inside.

Nashville is the shit. Atlanta is hit or miss, most fun I've had is in the area by MLK's house, there's some collegey divey type bars that don't suck. NOLA is the greatest party city in the country.

Jealous af. Have fun. 

Edited by BradInATX

Also - why not do the Saints/Panthers game on Sunday? It will likely still have playoff implications as they're battling the Rams for the 1 seed, and the Panthers still have a playoff shot. Division rivalry, the dome will be rocking, should be a good time. If you're doing an epic football road trip, might as well go all in.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 7:32 PM, CoTex said:

Pro tips for Shreveport.  Got to lucky palace for Chinese food, no kidding - it’s memorable.  Then hit Larry Flynt's.  Then do yourself a favor and gtfo of Shreveport.

I remember the old days for the independence bowl and for a $10 end zone ticket you got quarter beer and free popcorn.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:54 AM, scDaeDae said:

If anyone has suggestions of cool shit to see along the route I'm open to suggestions.

Go due south out of Montgomery and camp along 30A instead of heading through Mobile.  From there its 3.5 to NO instead of 2 from Mobile.  Plenty of campsites along beach.