Christmas Vacation
Holiday Inn
Scrooged
Bad Santa
Christmas Story
Trading Places
Meet Me in St Louis
Family Man
And two "come at me" choices simply because of how bad they are, they're awesome - Jingle All the Way, Deck the HAlls

Forgot about this one. Family Man was great. And as much as I want to love Elf, I can’t. Great writing , directing, casting... well, except for Will Ferrell. I have a visceral reaction to him. Quite possibly the unfunniest funny man in Hollywood today.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

Forgot about this one. Family Man was great. And as much as I want to love Elf, I can’t. Great writing , directing, casting... well, except for Will Ferrell. I have a visceral reaction to him. Quite possibly the unfunniest funny man in Hollywood today.

Elf is one of the few WF movies I like, he’s hard to take as a Lead, imo.  I also like him, surprisingly, in the Daddy’s Home flicks with Wahlberg. 

On 12/18/2018 at 6:05 PM, mchookem said:

The Ref

"you know what this family needs? a mute."

Yes. Fucking love The Ref.

One of my all-time favorite quotes is the grandmother commenting on a sweater she bought for the (sort of portly) grandson: "I bought you the 'husky' size.... you musn't let your weight become a problem..."

Another good one I haven't seen mentioned is "The Ice Harvest."  Fucking love that movie.  John Cusak, Billy Bob, Oliver Platt.... directed by Harold Ramis.  Dark comedy gold.

Edited by oSuJeff97

15 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

I thought I was the only one on here who didn't like Ferrell's acting. I made it through Elf until the scene where he lost his shit when he heard Santa was coming. 

I like some of the old Christmas movies.

White Christmas (how could anyone watch Danny Kaye shove off Vera Ellen and not know he was gay?)

vera_ellen_vintage_lewes.jpg

Miracle on 34th Street

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol

Others listed (Scrooged, Die Hard, Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

I thought I was the only one on here who didn't like Ferrell's acting. I made it through Elf until the scene where he lost his shit when he heard Santa was coming. 

White Christmas (how could anyone watch Danny Kaye shove off Vera Ellen and not know he was gay?)

Miracle on 34th Street

Those legs, va-va-va-voom!

On 12/18/2018 at 7:33 PM, Deej said:

I consider the first Lethal Weapon a Christmas movie. Like Die Hard, an action flick that takes place during the Christmas season, and actually came out the year before Die Hard.

The two make a fantastic Christmas double-feature. 

This. 

I'm watching Die Hard right now. Lethal Weapon tomorrow. 

A couple thoughts: 

How in the hell did Ellis not win for Best Supporting Actor in 1988? Hart Bochner was robbed. 

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

Watched Leathal Weapon today. It's the better Christmas movie. Riggs' depression and being accepted into Murtaugh's family by the end just screams Christmas. 

Man, I just don't know. Overall, the cast of Die Hard beats Lethal Weapon. 

However, Busey as Mr. Joshua in Lethal Weapon is hilarious in every scene. 

Scrooged  (extra credit for including The Night the Reindeer Died)
Family Man
Die Hard
Elf

Obv - White Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life (B&W version), Miracle on 34th Street, Grinch (Thurl Ravenscroft)

so bad they're good
Four Christmases
Surviving Christmas

just bad
Christmas with the Kranks
Family Stone
Home Alone 2, 3, 4.....
Grinch (Jim Carrey)
Jingle all the way

On 12/20/2018 at 1:59 PM, Richard Kimball said:

Miracle on 34th Street

Yep on Vera Ellen. 

• Like 1

On December 20, 2018 at 2:59 PM, Richard Kimball said:

Because they're not homophobic and don't think about such things? Didn't know, never noticed, don't care. 

But, then, you didn't get Buddy in Elf. So your taste and character was already in question. 

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Scrooged  (extra credit for including The Night the Reindeer Died)
Family Man
Die Hard
Elf

Obv - White Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life (B&W version), Miracle on 34th Street, Grinch (Thurl Ravenscroft)

so bad they're good
Four Christmases
Surviving Christmas

just bad
Christmas with the Kranks
Family Stone
Home Alone 2, 3, 4.....
Grinch (Jim Carrey)
Jingle all the way

“Help me Turbo Man!” 

Bad Santa 2, despite being an obvious moneygrab lightyears away from the greatness of the original, has some funny bits here and there. Otherwise, the script is total shit. I would have preferred Therman turn out like Horton in Paint Your Wagon. That would have been a nice homage and open for another film in the series.

Edited by RPM

I like some of the old ones... Christmas in Connecticut, holiday inn, white Christmas, it happened in sun valley.

Also, I know it's technically a Thanksgiving movie, but planes trains and automobiles has always been a Christmas movie to me.

And come at me, but the Santa clause 2 is good. Fuck off.