Anatomy of a school shooting /no politics

Loco

6 minutes ago, Parliament said:

That was a great article, and wow the incompetence. Lotsa people gonna live the rest of their lives rack with guilt.

Most of them will rationalize away and convince themselves they did nothing wrong, they were only following orders, or nobody else was doing anything either. 

The sherrifs were bad but the resource officer was the worst. 

• Like 1

They all fought like hell against releasing the transcripts and footage...  claiming to honor the victims and their parents...  Sickening stuff.  This gentlemen is what FOIA requests are designed for...   bring the truth out of the shadows (cowards too)

Really great piece - I didn't really know the details.  I was actually surprised at how quickly the whole thing was over - about 7 minutes from arrival to fleeing, and about 5.5 minutes from starting of shooting to fleeing.  The resource officer's behavior was the most disturbing.  By the time he got to building 12, Cruz was just getting to the 2nd floor, which means if he were actually doing his job - protecting students and confronting threats - he might have been able to save a significant number of lives.  The other deputies' vacillation and cowardice are perhaps equally as deplorable, because although most of them got there too late to stop Cruz from killing more students, they had no way of knowing that and should not have been such giant pussies.    

They pull shit like this but we're still supposed to worship their heroism and bravery, even though they actually "have no legal duty" to protect anyone. Peterson pisses me off the most. I'm not even a cop and I've known for years that standard mass shooting protocol for law enforcement is to locate and challenge whoever is doing the shooting. And if that sounds too scary then being in law enforcement isn't for you. What a fucking pussy.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend checking out "Active Shooter" the Showtime documentary series. Some really powerful stories and footage in there about different mass shootings. There's some stories of regular people and cops who are the opposite of the Broward cowards (sheriff's department) and acted heroically. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Loco said:

They all fought like hell against releasing the transcripts and footage...  claiming to honor the victims and their parents...  Sickening stuff.  This gentlemen is what FOIA requests are designed for...   bring the truth out of the shadows (cowards too)

Damned right it should be public, if for no other reason, but to train others in preparation to prevent a repeat of such actions.

Not sure how to apply the accountability piece. Are we going to set the precedent that if a cop/ peace officer doesn't use deadly force to stop a threat, they are negligent?  I don't disagree at all that they WERE negligent; but what does that look like in a courtroom?  What does the opposite side of the ledger look like in bernard city cemetery? 

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Damn..a freshman couldve stopped and basically began to fight this guy but chose to run away? Hes got that guilt cloud over him

Watching the video of the encounter, Cruz already had the rifle out and about 3-5 feet of separation when the kid walked up, and he had it loaded within a second after that, almost certainly quicker than the kid mentally processed what he had just stumbled upon. I'll give the 14-15 year old a pass on that. 

• Like 6

Watching the video of the encounter, Cruz already had the rifle out and about 3-5 feet of separation when the kid walked up, and he had it loaded within a second after that, almost certainly quicker than the kid mentally processed what he had just stumbled upon. I'll give the 14-15 year old a pass on that. 
Agreed. Me as a freshman would bolt too.

2 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Yea, I agree.

Also, curious to hear why, if there is any rhyme or reason, he spared that kid with a glib joke of a warning and then literally seconds later killed his first 3.

Many mass shooters will spare people at random. Even the Columbine shooters taunted people they didn't end up shooting. 

37 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Procurement regulations suck. On all levels. 

It wasn't the camera systems fault that idiot cops didn't realize that they were looking at a replay.  DVR not really a new or novel thing.  That was a communication snafu...  I would say, fog of war, but the cops didn't participate in any meaningful way.   #walmartsubway

Edited by Loco

17 minutes ago, Loco said:

It wasn't the camera systems fault that idiot cops didn't realize that they were looking at a replay.  DVR not really a new or novel thing.  That was a communication snafu...  I would say, fog of war, but the cops didn't participate in any meaningful way.   #walmartsubway

Oh I don’t disagree with that at all.  Just saying there is no practical reason for them to not have a modern system. 

15 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Obviously those heroes needed APCs and other military spec equipment to safely do their jobs.

This (in addition to the other great points). I have a real problem with police militarization, and I suspect if cops spent more time focused on being police officers (protecting and serving) versus playing aggy (fake military) then everyone - police, citizens, criminals - would have better outcomes. Off topic, but someone should explain to these jackboots that breaking down grandmas door and trashing her house with the SWAT team to serve a minor drug warrant is no way to endear yourself to the community. Similarly, maybe SROs should spend more time talking to students, hanging out, developing sources that might lead to insight into potential threat instead of bullying kids and walking around looking like special forces. I realize those are broad brushes - there are good and bad SROs, but one of my hot buttons is militarized police ... this isn't the freaking Hunger Games.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Kyle said:

This (in addition to the other great points). I have a real problem with police militarization, and I suspect if cops spent more time focused on being police officers (protecting and serving) versus playing aggy (fake military) then everyone - police, citizens, criminals - would have better outcomes. Off topic, but someone should explain to these jackboots that breaking down grandmas door and trashing her house with the SWAT team to serve a minor drug warrant is no way to endear yourself to the community. Similarly, maybe SROs should spend more time talking to students, hanging out, developing sources that might lead to insight into potential threat instead of bullying kids and walking around looking like special forces. I realize those are broad brushes - there are good and bad SROs, but one of my hot buttons is militarized police ... this isn't the freaking Hunger Games.

Gotta lock those bathrooms to keep the kids from Vaping! 

• Like 1

The on capus police officer at my school was named Nino. He was a former LB at SMU before they got busted, so lots of the stupid Baptist’s absolutely loved him because most of them felt at the time (91ish) SMUs problems were just because of the fact they were a religious school. 

Well, this guy ran the drug in our school with the deputy Police cheif. He shook down skuzzy gangster types openly in the hallways for money they owed him. If you were white he would yell and threaten you in front of everyone. If you were black he would closed fist beat the shit out of you in front of everybody in the hallways. 

The advice to anyone not trying to grow into a criminal was to get in the AP classes, keep your head down and when you were out, never look back.

i can’t imagine having to depend on that piece of shit for protection. Hell at the time, if some one was at the school looking to shoot some one it would’ve probably somebody there for him

good Times...

Edited by Doc Reeves

On 12/30/2018 at 8:12 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Obviously those heroes needed APCs and other military spec equipment to safely do their jobs.

They need the APCs to be able to safely sit outside while people are being killed inside.  Can't have them taking a stray round, can we?

On 12/30/2018 at 7:36 PM, El Diablo said:

Men losing their nerve under fire isn't that uncommon according to my dad who saw combat in WWII. Some people just find out too late that they aren't cut out for the profession they chose. Lying and covering for those frailties is pretty scummy.

Yeah?   Do you think they quit after they discovered they weren't "cut out" to face risk in order to save hundreds of children from horrible death....  I'm going to go with none.

The school resource officer "retired" under heavy public scrutiny...  not because he thought he was a bad fit.  He'll get a paltry $8,700/mo to eek out a living

56 minutes ago, Loco said:

Yeah?   Do you think they quit after they discovered they weren't "cut out" to face risk in order to save hundreds of children from horrible death....  I'm going to go with none.

The school resource officer "retired" under heavy public scrutiny...  not because he thought he was a bad fit.  He'll get a paltry $8,700/mo to eek out a living

Got to love unions.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• 1 month later...

One year ago today...  and I'm still livid

A lot of kids around Broward County aren't attending to today... fear of copycats, emotional burden, scared parents I don't know but it just seems like wounds are still very fresh here.  I know other parts of the country have moved on but it's still pretty raw/real here.

Dropped my son off at his High School this morning after he asked me to stop so that he can get some valentine candy for a girl he likes.   Kids should be thinking about learning, spending time with friends, and maybe a little lovin'    just plain sucks   /rant

also if you didn't read the initial post / story and want to get fucking enraged...  take a look.

Thanks for the link.  What’s more infuriating than a cop hiding while kids get killed?  That cop arguing that he was right to do so.

‘The only armed deputy stationed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School the day of Nikolas Cruz’s deadly rampage asked a Broward judge on Wednesday to find he had “no legal duty” to protect the students and faculty from harm.’

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-ne-peterson-pollack-civil-hearing-20181211-story.html

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Thanks for the link.  What’s more infuriating than a cop hiding while kids get killed?  That cop arguing that he was right to do so.

‘The only armed deputy stationed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School the day of Nikolas Cruz’s deadly rampage asked a Broward judge on Wednesday to find he had “no legal duty” to protect the students and faculty from harm.’

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-ne-peterson-pollack-civil-hearing-20181211-story.html

The SCOTUS agrees with the cop (previous decision).

This thread now hits close to home.

Kid fired a gun at my son's high school (Rio Rancho, NM) today just minutes before classes started.  According to him, the kid was a special ed kid who fired it into the ceiling, dropped the gun and hauled ass.  Good to know the cops responded quickly and caught the kid (it's all open area, no place to hide).

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/police-respond-to-shots-fired-call-at-cleveland-high-school/5246302/ 

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

Well, it's not that he was "right" to do so.  It's that he had not DUTY to do so.  Which the law is pretty clear on, and it agrees with his position.

Again, to be clear, this is the law: law enforcement literally has ZERO legal duty to protect you.  That's the black-letter law.  So, remember that the next time they get on their high horse and preach about how all they do is protect and serve.  They do so only at their will, when and where they choose, and protecting whom they choose to protect.  That's not a hero.  That's a mercenary.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, it's not that he was "right" to do so.  It's that he had not DUTY to do so.  Which the law is pretty clear on, and it agrees with his position.

Again, to be clear, this is the law: law enforcement literally has ZERO legal duty to protect you.  That's the black-letter law.  So, remember that the next time they get on their high horse and preach about how all they do is protect and serve.  They do so only at their will, when and where they choose, and protecting whom they choose to protect.  That's not a hero.  That's a mercenary.

I am sure this is all correct.  It still fucking sucks Ann Coulter's elephantine nutsack. /nocloakroom

2 hours ago, Victorious1 said:

This thread now hits close to home.

Kid fired a gun at my son's high school (Rio Rancho, NM) today just minutes before classes started.  According to him, the kid was a special ed kid who fired it into the ceiling, dropped the gun and hauled ass.  Good to know the cops responded quickly and caught the kid (it's all open area, no place to hide).

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/police-respond-to-shots-fired-call-at-cleveland-high-school/5246302/ 

Glad no one got hurt. Where did he get the gun?

On 1/7/2019 at 10:50 AM, Loco said:

JFC

Not only did Peterson hide to save his own ass, he's still got his mama's pubic hairs stuck to his ears from hiding under his mama's skirt his whole life.   I'd be looking for a tree to. Cowardly bastard. 

Edited by SHOOTER12

On 2/14/2019 at 4:04 PM, Brisketexan said:

Am I correct to assume this is the basis for what you are saying?  Or is it something else?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia