Sugar Bowl Post-Mortem

Goredho

Re:  no contest - just to counter the supposed closeness of the final score, if the FG is made with 1:15 remaining, and we don't have the fuckuppery of the final drive, it's 31-14, which would be more indicative of the physical game.   But, fuck counterfactuals.  

• Like 2

Just now, Homercles said:

I know the Liberty and Sugar bowls are about as far apart in prestige as you can get but I loved the way my Pokes and the Horns ‘out physical’d’ two SEC teams to finish out the conference bowl slate.

#metoo

Edited by taybo20
  • Like 3

What a great win.  

Loved the "over-rated" chant.  Were the longhorn fans also chanting "sec" right before that in some kind of sarcasm?  Seems like I heard it but couldn't figure out if it was Georgia or Texas fans chanting it.

We had a lot of seniors on this team.  Hopefully all the juniors come back (yes, I'm talking to you Collin and LJ).  Will be interesting to see how the team looks next year.  With Nelson gone, our DL looks really small.  Would be nice to pick up a Stoney Clark/Chris Akins type of motherfucker.

4 1000 yd rushers in 2 years is amazingly impressive.  Nice run for Georgia.  They definitely didn't expect the dogfight we gave them.  They walked in entitled like Texas has done for decades and got bit by a pesky underdog.  Welcome to the club assholes.  Whoever is hungriest takes it, and we were hungrier last night.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, Herman obviously fell for some sort of trick by the football gods when they told him they could guarantee that "your team will be competitive in every game" at some point. We need to rectify that at some point and soon. Not only does blowing out inferior teams and putting away good teams when you have them down develop a killer instinct in your team, it also helps create depth as backups get more late game playing time. This insistence on letting teams hang around and turning three score games into one score nailbiters has to get figured out if the program is ever going to max out under Herman. He's done so much right but this needs to be addressed.

Umm, first step would be to not be a 1 deep team at most positions.

• Like 2

I just had to share this gem from TexAgs. They really do think they are the '85 bears. There is no more delusional fan base in college football. 

"OldShadeOfBlue 11:42p, 1/1/19 AG
Georgia was outplayed at every position tonight. Their DL really struggled to put pressure on Ehlinger and their passing game was shut down by the Texas secondary. Fromm looked terrible. Ehlinger is the best thing Texas has had since Colt and really puts them on another level.

I hate to say it but the Big 12 came out a lot better in the bowl season than I expected. OU played Bama closer than we thought they would and Texas outright beat our #2 team as a 14 point dog. They still are not on our level but they're getting close."

Hilarious. They are gifted a win against us and now they are Alabama haha.

Congrats on the win last night that was impressive. You guys showed you can play with anyone when you're at your best. I can't wait for our match up. It's going to be fun.

• Like 9
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

The overrated chant is the dumbest chant in all of sports.

Hey everyone, this team we just beat isn't actually as good as people said! It's not that we're really good, it's that they're actually not that good!

Yeah, we should have mockingly chanted "top 4" or "playoffs" at them.

1 hour ago, NBMisha said:

Re:  no contest - just to counter the supposed closeness of the final score, if the FG is made with 1:15 remaining, and we don't have the fuckuppery of the final drive, it's 31-14, which would be more indicative of the physical game.   But, fuck counterfactuals.  

I think even one of the ESPN boys said it wasn't as close as the final score.  uga's second td was when we were in prevent as well.

What a fucking season.  If Nostradamus would've told us after the shitshows that were Maryland and Tulsa that at the end of the year we would go in dry on GA, dominating both lines of scrimmage, in the Sugar Bowl, not a single sane person would've believed it.  Last night was a culmination of a season long buy in, Sam's maturity into the position, and a full season under Herb Hand which did wonders for the Oline.  Kris Boyd said it best when he said they won it for the guy next to them.  The culture change is complete.

I am so looking forward to next season.  I think the team builds tremendous confidence from this win.  They were extremely focused and hungry.  It was all business for 3 dominating quarters.  The all business look is how Bama looks for most every quarter of every game.  I think they know if they are this focused and hungry in every game going forward, their best can beat anyone.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The overrated chant is the dumbest chant in all of sports.

Hey everyone, this team we just beat isn't actually as good as people said! It's not that we're really good, it's that they're actually not that good!

you have a point, but it was still funny.  it was like rubbing salt in their wound.  they felt slighted that they weren't a top 4 team, when really we exposed them as not even a top 5 team. their pride got stomped on last night and the chant adds to their embarrassment.

16 minutes ago, austintiger said:

I just had to share this gem from TexAgs. They really do think they are the '85 bears. There is no more delusional fan base in college football. 

"OldShadeOfBlue 11:42p, 1/1/19 AG
Georgia was outplayed at every position tonight. Their DL really struggled to put pressure on Ehlinger and their passing game was shut down by the Texas secondary. Fromm looked terrible. Ehlinger is the best thing Texas has had since Colt and really puts them on another level.

I hate to say it but the Big 12 came out a lot better in the bowl season than I expected. OU played Bama closer than we thought they would and Texas outright beat our #2 team as a 14 point dog. They still are not on our level but they're getting close."

Hilarious. They are gifted a win against us and now they are Alabama haha.

Congrats on the win last night that was impressive. You guys showed you can play with anyone when you're at your best. I can't wait for our match up. It's going to be fun.

Ah yes aggy.  In on of our worst decades of football, we still somehow manage to compete for a conference championship and win a NYE6 bowl game against a top 5 team.  Your biggest achievement this decade is a beating bama 5 years ago with a coke head and losing to Clemson.  Put up another banner at pyle field!!

• Like 1

Good write up.

I was telling my son last night if you would have told me on the first Saturday in September this season would end the way it did, I would have slapped him silly.

I was in Fredericksburg for Labor Day weekend with my wife in downtown and was paying attention to the Maryland  game on my phone and thankfully AT&T's crappy cell service kept me from getting real time updates at times because I'm sure I would have thrown my phone against a wall or something and ended up in the Gillespie county jail on a disorderly conduct charge.  Then we looked like crap warmed over against Tulsa the following week who struggled against FCS/Southalnd Conf Central Arkanasas the week before.  I thought for sure this was going to be another .500 team with a second or even third tier bowl deciding if we were going to have a "winning" season.

Then I went to the USC game expecting us to get donkey stomped.  It started off like it was going to be a whooping, but then the switch was turned on.   Altough the Horns had some low moments from that point on the rest of the season, it was an entirley different team for sure. 

Giddy as heck it ended the way it did last night.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

What a great win.  

Loved the "over-rated" chant.  Were the longhorn fans also chanting "sec" right before that in some kind of sarcasm?  Seems like I heard it but couldn't figure out if it was Georgia or Texas fans chanting it.

We had a lot of seniors on this team.  Hopefully all the juniors come back (yes, I'm talking to you Collin and LJ).  Will be interesting to see how the team looks next year.  With Nelson gone, our DL looks really small.  Would be nice to pick up a Stoney Clark/Chris Akins type of motherfucker.

4 1000 yd rushers in 2 years is amazingly impressive.  Nice run for Georgia.  They definitely didn't expect the dogfight we gave them.  They walked in entitled like Texas has done for decades and got bit by a pesky underdog.  Welcome to the club assholes.  Whoever is hungriest takes it, and we were hungrier last night.

“Pesky” is a word you use for losers. Stop it. 

20 minutes ago, Smax said:

Yes there was a sec chant, didn't last too long but it definitely was there.. I sat on the Georgia side and the stunned look in their fans face as the game progressed almost worth the price of admission

There were multiple SEC SEC SEC chants. It’s nice that at least one was loud enough to be heard throughout the Super Dome. I had one person text me that it was audible on tv. 

We finally played a complete game. 4 quarters, didn't let up. Defense was nails. I think that was my biggest takeaway. The defense just took it to Georgia. Got great pressure on Fromm. Didn't give up stupid plays. Played their assignments. That was Orlando's finest hour. 

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We finally played a complete game. 4 quarters, didn't let up. Defense was nails. I think that was my biggest takeaway. The defense just took it to Georgia. Got great pressure on Fromm. Didn't give up stupid plays. Played their assignments. That was Orlando's finest hour. 

Last 70ish seconds says hi.

• Like 1

I don't like the over rated chant for the reasons stated.

SECSECSEC was fun because of their QB's statement about the hazards of Sam's running in the SEC. Three touchdowns and unbowed. Fuck you, SEC.

We don't like to say that we're thinking of the Aggies, but I also took the mocking SEC chant to be directed at the Aggies. We're all sick of hearing how indomitable the SEC is. The Aggies, the SEC's newest and proudest member, are the most annoying voice about SEC dominance. 

I think I would have been most amused had the Longhorns sang, Poooor Agggiees Poooor Aggiees. Nobody outside of Texas would have got it, but who cares?

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, mdmost said:

not really 

7 minutes ago, Fire Jack Chevigny said:

Watching the post game press conference, Herman said that Texas had the ball 12 of the 15 minutes in the 4th quarter. That’s pretty damn salty.

Yeah, I haven't felt this good about our offense in quite some time.  Even going back into Colt's senior year.  Our offensive line sucked and I had no confidence we could get tough yards on the ground when we had to.  We just had a great college QB that masked a lot of deficiencies on that side of the ball.  And when he went out in the NCG, well, we were fucked.  We had to rely on a true freshman QB to try to win the game.

Sam is definitely the man, but our offense is far from a one man show.  We have great receivers (hopefully all coming back), a good young RB barely tapping into his potential, and a good offensive line that is flirting with being a strength.  We need more depth at RB and especially the line.  We will be prone to injury-related performance degradation on offense until our o-line depth chart is filled with upperclassmen that have developed mentally and physically through our system.  I think that is going to take a couple more recruiting classes, but assuming we get to that point, I believe we will then be at a 'Bamaesque level of plug-and-play on the offensive side of the ball.

One of the big questions we face in getting to elite-level is this: How long can we keep Orlando? And, yes, Hand has been a Godsend, but Orlando's much more marketable. Orlando will (eventually) leave for the right HC position. With Hand, all we have to do is keep him from being poached and if it's solely a question of money, well, we are Texas, after all.