Sugar Bowl Post-Mortem

Goredho

Orlando is not indispensable. He had a great game last night but there's not any question on whether he can handle an old school smashmouth offense. The question is whether he can handle a Big 12 season consistently. Once the dirty dime was figured out he has struggled to adapt against our conference opponents.

I'm certainly not saying he hasn't done a good job overall, but he's also not going to get to go up against such a simple offense very often.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Orlando is not indispensable. He had a great game last night but there's not any question on whether he can handle an old school smashmouth offense. The question is whether he can handle a Big 12 season consistently. Once the dirty dime was figured out he has struggled to adapt against our conference opponents.

I'm certainly not saying he hasn't done a good job overall, but he's also not going to get to go up against such a simple offense very often.

Meh.  With Holgo, Kliff Kingsbury, Kyler Murray, and Darius Anderson/ KaVontae Turpin gone, the Big XII's offenses next year will be MUCH more pedestrian.  I'll also be interested to see how losing Yurcich affects Oklahoma State.

Basically, even with us losing a TON of production from our defense, I think we'll all think Orlando has worked another miracle next year due simply to the fact that the offenses in our conference will be much easier to defend.

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

I know the Liberty and Sugar bowls are about as far apart in prestige as you can get but I loved the way my Pokes and the Horns ‘out physical’d’ two SEC teams to finish out the conference bowl slate.

Don't care if I get negged. I cheer for XII non-conference and in bowls. It only makes us all stronger. Except ousux because F- them. And Fatterson because he's a pussy and runs the criminal enterprise that plays football and always cries like a cunty bitch.

Edited by Kyle
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Homercles said:

I know the Liberty and Sugar bowls are about as far apart in prestige as you can get but I loved the way my Pokes and the Horns ‘out physical’d’ two SEC teams to finish out the conference bowl slate.

Yep.  Think about it.  Both teams got 2 DBs tossed because they were too rough on those SEC snowflakes. 

Some of those calls were defensible but they're also indicative of the physical beating delivered.

6 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Don't care if I get negged. I cheer for XII non-conference and in bowls. It only makes us all stronger. Except ousux because F- them. And Fatterson because he's a pussy and runs the criminal enterprise that plays football and always cries like a cunty bitch.

You forgot Baylor 😎

and Tech 🤩

But really, I root for WVU ever since they had Slaton and White. I root for Iowa State just because the way they play. And yes, I love watching Oklahoma state run up the score on those dipshits in Missery

Orlando can either go to a G5 school like temple or USF or continue to build his resume and hopefully land a gig like Muschamp did at UF or Kirby at uga.  He will get paid very well here as a DC.  If he can get this defense to play with that intensity and if we make a CFP run next year, big name schools will start to interview him.  He seems content staying here and being patient.  Texas has proven that it can provide a platform for good coordinators to put themselves in position to land a big time job.

Edited by victory88

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, its a post-mortem, because we fucking murdered Georgia.  Some deeper thoughts probably not worth your time to read...

• Our healthy top 22 players are as good as anyone not named 'Bama.  Lesser performances late in the year dovetailed with starters being out and/or playing at a lower level while hurt.  A month to heal up allowed us to play to our full potential
  • We need a couple more top 10 recruiting classes maturing through Tom Herman's system to have the depth of a program consistently in the top-5
  • Sam Ehlinger is fucking special.  Dude is all balls on the field and will soon join the pantheon of Texas greats.  But there is something unique about him, something that separates him from even the greats like Vince, Ricky and Earl. That sappy, overplayed montage of his pictures as a kid throwing up hook'ems?  Well, that was me.  And you.  Texas is not a football team.  Its not even a university.  It is an ethos, passed between generations and evolved over the last 136 years.  Sam fully understands that, and he fully understands his opportunity at this moment in the timeline of Longhorn history.  He may not win a national championship or a Heisman trophy, but of this I am certain:  we could not have a better Longhorn to lead Texas back to the promised land. 
  • We did not get Georgia's best game.  Don't care.  Had sex (with their moms).
  • Our mascot putting theirs in his fucking place was the game in a microcosm.  You're Georgia?  #5 in the country?  You almost beat 'Bama?  Who gives a shit.  We're Texas, and you are about to get your ass kicked.
  • This team is fucking physical, and its everyone at every position group.  Even our QB likes to hit you.  If you don't come against us ready for a street fight, you are in for a rough game.  Am pretty sure there is some blood in the locker room urinals at the Super Dome.
  • The defense was national championship caliber for 3 quarters with the best combination of game plan and execution of the year.  I could list individual players like BJ Foster, Davis, Wheeler, Omenihu, Ossai, but fuck, this list would include a dozen more bullet points.  The whole unit came to play, reflecting on the job of our defensive coaches.  There were lapses late when we were up by 21 in the 4th, but they played as well as they could have to get us to that point.
  • I loved seeing our offensive line maul an SEC defense.  Georgia got some pressure, but the OL pushed their shit in consistently otherwise.  The big uglies running up to push Sam, Ingram or Watson forward 3-5 yards after contact was a big part of us controlling the game on offense and further established that we were going to be the most physical team on the field.
  • Some dipshits with SEC ties will look at the final score and see the game as closer than it was.  This was absolutely no contest through 3 quarters.  That's cool, though, you can still think we're soft or whatever.   Play us, you will change your tune.
  • I fucking love this team!
  • Herman and the other coaches deserve a ton of credit.  While nitpicking about OC deficiencies and 4th quarter drop-offs, remember this:  Kansas kicked our ass barely two years ago.  If you aren't already on the Herman train, fuck you, it left the station awhile ago.
  • 10 wins.  Sugar bowl trophy.  Yes, it can be said...

tl/did read. Best surly post in forever.

Some indisputable facts that we learned this bowl season:

A. Big 12 offenses are far more difficult to play defense against than SEC offenses. 

B. The SEC does not have a size/speed/talent advantage on a conference level compared to the Big 12. It is a fucking myth and it is fucking stupid. Anyone who thought we'd get bitch slapped out of the stadium last night because we are undermanned against an SEC elite team looks like a dipshit today. I'm talking to you, Kirk Herbstreit. And the rest of your ilk.

I really can't wait to see which pundits finally cross over and admit that the SEC is a fucking myth. If Bama wins handily against Clemson, they will fire up the cliched SEC bullshit again. The longer the SEC continues to roll with these 1990-era offenses, the worse it will get for them moving forward. 

1 hour ago, Sock Drawer said:

One of the big questions we face in getting to elite-level is this: How long can we keep Orlando? And, yes, Hand has been a Godsend, but Orlando's much more marketable. Orlando will (eventually) leave for the right HC position. With Hand, all we have to do is keep him from being poached and if it's solely a question of money, well, we are Texas, after all. 

58 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

As an offensive guru, I feel like Herman can always fill in on that side of the ball to ensure our offense is schemed correctly to succeed.  But, he will likely always need a strong defensive coordinator capable of fully owning coaching duties on that side of the ball.  Orlando has done that for the most part and has a coaching chemistry with Herman that would need to be established between Herman and a new defensive coordinator.  We had a couple of poor defensive performances this year, but I don't think you can simply dismiss Orlando's contribution to the team's success, assume he can easily be replaced or consider last night a fluke.  I personally would love to see him stick around for 3 more years.  I think that consistency of scheme, player selection and development would give us the best shot to compete for a natty.  That doesn't mean he shouldn't look at the poor performances this year, figure out why they happened and come up with a strategy to avoid them in the future, but we can't expect coaching perfection either.  I make mistakes in my job all the time and would never work in an environment where I felt I had to be perfect or fired. 

29 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

tl/did read. Best surly post in forever.

Thanks.

Edited by Goredho

Yes there was a sec chant, didn't last too long but it definitely was there.. I sat on the Georgia side and the stunned look in their fans face as the game progressed almost worth the price of admission
That stunned look from sec sec sec reminds me of a Bluebonnet bowl my dad took me to when I was a kid. OlMiss was heavily favored and ther was a shitton of those mouth breathers there and most of em had confederate battle flags and they would wave the shit out of em. Wave wave wave. Well as the game went on and Texas pounded the shit out of em that fucking waving shit slowed down and stopped. 1966 it was. Texas 19 - sec morons ziparooney.

Fuck the sec sec sec.

You could hear the sec sec sec taunt on tv. Was hilarious. Good shit.

Fuck the sec sec sec.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

ease up on the koolaid bro.  it's a word used for 11 pt underdogs that jump up and bite you in the ass.
Bite you in the ass? Texas didn't bite jawja in the ass they chewed their ass off ripped off their head and shit down their neck and fuckstomped the shit out of em. That aint "pesky" that's an asswhippin.
  • Like 1

I don't like the over rated chant for the reasons stated.
SECSECSEC was fun because of their QB's statement about the hazards of Sam's running in the SEC. Three touchdowns and unbowed. Fuck you, SEC.
We don't like to say that we're thinking of the Aggies, but I also took the mocking SEC chant to be directed at the Aggies. We're all sick of hearing how indomitable the SEC is. The Aggies, the SEC's newest and proudest member, are the most annoying voice about SEC dominance. 
I think I would have been most amused had the Longhorns sang, Poooor Agggiees Poooor Aggiees. Nobody outside of Texas would have got it, but who cares?
New Mexico State is not in the sec.

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The overrated chant is the dumbest chant in all of sports.

Hey everyone, this team we just beat isn't actually as good as people said! It's not that we're really good, it's that they're actually not that good!

This.

Fucking dumbass thing to chant.

Now the SEC SEC SEC mock chant, knock yourselves out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:
4 hours ago, thrillhammer said:
ease up on the koolaid bro.  it's a word used for 11 pt underdogs that jump up and bite you in the ass.

Bite you in the ass? Texas didn't bite jawja in the ass they chewed their ass off ripped off their head and shit down their neck and fuckstomped the shit out of em. That aint "pesky" that's an asswhippin.

^^This is also correct.  That was a decisive win by a stronger, faster, more physical team.  Never trailed and really, Georgia was never close until a meaningless td at the very end.

^^This is also correct.  That was a decisive win by a stronger, faster, more physical team.  Never trailed and really, Georgia was never close until a meaningless td at the very end.
And Orlando had us run the patented keystone cops defense so they could score. You know the defense teams run when they are being nice to a special kid and letting him score.

A hearty fuck you to the special sec sec sec. In other words that last mercy td don't make a shit.

Poooooooor aggggggyyyyyysss.

And Orlando had us run the patented keystone cops defense so they could score. You know the defense teams run when they are being nice to a special kid and letting him score.

A hearty fuck you to the special sec sec sec. In other words that last mercy td don't make a shit.

Poooooooor aggggggyyyyyysss.

Like dis?
6fff77d7bd132a95c94b786922ba3589.jpg

Guys enjoy this.  We’ve spent a fucking decade in misery.  This year this team played a physical brand of football and that is a testament to the culture Herman is instilling

We kicked Georgia’s ass.  Like some one said, it wasn’t a bite, we ripped their heads off, chewed it up, and spit it out.  Georgia wanted no part of us at the end of the game.  

Games like this are program changing.  Regardless of our poor seasons, we have have still recruited top 10 and top 15 classes.  Compare our class rankings to Clemson... they are in a similar range.  The difference is confidence.  Texas has had a loser mentality and a weak mentality these last few years.  It takes time to weed that out.  Last years team was just as talented.  The difference was the players did not buy in and have confidence.  This year Herman had all the seniors buy in.  Now he can point to that trophy and say, “Look at what we accomplished when we practice the way we ask you to”.  Once your players trust you, you start to have more players stay, recruiting picks up and then you get back to the top.  

We whipped UGA’s ass and I’m going to enjoy and brag every minute of it all off season.  I don’t know how anyone can’t after the last decade.

Edited by victory88
  • Like 1

another thought i had last night re:uga excuses - their best cb sat out. 

so i figured if we won (or kept it competitive), it would be on the backs of cj/ljh and baker's absence would be something we exploited.  considering our gameplan and the results, baker wouldn't have even mattered.  i think we had mismatches out there that we didn't even need to exploit.

although the way the announcers talked about that dl that wasn't playing, you'd have thought he was reggie white or some shit.

we played power running "sec" style football, and beat them at their own game.  badly.  that's why it's so satisfying.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Guys enjoy this.  We’ve spent a fucking decade in misery.  This year this team played a physical brand of football and that is a testament to the culture Herman wants. 

We kicks Georgia’s ass.  Like some one said, it wasn’t a bite, we ripped their heads off, chewed it up, and spit it out.  Georgia wanted no part of us at the end of the game.  

Games like this are program changing.  Regardless of our poor seasons, we have have still recruited top 10 and top 15 classes.  Compare our class rankings to Clemson... they are in a similar range.  The difference is confidence.  Texas has had a loser mentality and a weak mentality these last few years.  It takes time to weed that out.  Last years team was just as talented.  The difference was the players did not buy in and have confidence.  This year Herman had all the seniors buy in.  Now he can point to that trophy and say, “Look at what we accomplished when we practice the way we ask you to”.  Once your players trust you, you start to more players stay, recruiting pick up and then you get back to the top.  

We whipped UGA’s ass and I’m going to enjoy and brag every minute of it all off season.  I don’t know how anyone can’t after the last decade.

The bolded is better when read in the voice of...

300?cb=20130912143719

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

another thought i had last night re:uga excuses - their best cb sat out. 

so i figured if we won (or kept it competitive), it would be on the backs of cj/ljh and baker's absence would be something we exploited.  considering our gameplan and the results, baker wouldn't have even mattered.  i think we had mismatches out there that we didn't even need to exploit.

although the way the announcers talked about that dl that wasn't playing, you'd have thought he was reggie white or some shit.

we played power running "sec" style football, and beat them at their own game.  badly.  that's why it's so satisfying.

I agree to an extent.  Losing Baker was big.  With him in, perhaps uga doesn’t have to double CJ and can put one more man in the box.  

17 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Guys enjoy this.  We’ve spent a fucking decade in misery.  This year this team played a physical brand of football and that is a testament to the culture Herman is instilling

We kicked Georgia’s ass.  Like some one said, it wasn’t a bite, we ripped their heads off, chewed it up, and spit it out.  Georgia wanted no part of us at the end of the game.  

Games like this are program changing.  Regardless of our poor seasons, we have have still recruited top 10 and top 15 classes.  Compare our class rankings to Clemson... they are in a similar range.  The difference is confidence.  Texas has had a loser mentality and a weak mentality these last few years.  It takes time to weed that out.  Last years team was just as talented.  The difference was the players did not buy in and have confidence.  This year Herman had all the seniors buy in.  Now he can point to that trophy and say, “Look at what we accomplished when we practice the way we ask you to”.  Once your players trust you, you start to have more players stay, recruiting picks up and then you get back to the top.  

Very true.

Another big point is that this staff seems to do player development. Our guys get better from year to year and over the course of the season.

6 minutes ago, mchookem said:

this will seem like a buzz kill but it is not intended to be...

my mother is dying. arranging hospice care now, headed to houston tomorrow thru the end. 

past two days have been a blur. i just wanted a competitive, good game, something fun and exciting i could get lost in for a few hours. 

then i saw Bevo.

then the game started. 

then the game happened.  literally the thing i needed most right then.

that may sound weird. i don't care.  it wasn't FOR me, but it was literally the best thing i could have gotten at the exact right time. 

thank you, boys ❤

all is well and all will be well.

hook 'em 🤘

Not alone in your challenges.  Ask your friends to give you encouragement.... they can provide a much needed laugh or hug.

Prayers..... 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Very true.

Another big point is that this staff seems to do player development. Our guys get better from year to year and over the course of the season.

This is a good thing. I always thought we weren’t allowed to do this or run screen passes. I say we keep it up.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not alone in your challenges.  Ask your friends to give you encouragement.... they can provide a much needed laugh or hug.

Prayers..... 🤘

^Prayers for you and your family. Don't forget to take care of yourself mchookem. It's easy to do. Hang in there.

Edited by retread
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Meh.  With Holgo, Kliff Kingsbury, Kyler Murray, and Darius Anderson/ KaVontae Turpin gone, the Big XII's offenses next year will be MUCH more pedestrian.  I'll also be interested to see how losing Yurcich affects Oklahoma State.

Basically, even with us losing a TON of production from our defense, I think we'll all think Orlando has worked another miracle next year due simply to the fact that the offenses in our conference will be much easier to defend.

Don’t. 

Just dont. 

This was nearly a verbatim refrain from last year. Everyone thought the offensive production would be down with the conference breaking in all new QB’s and that our defense wouldn’t see much drop off. Oops. 

The conference is chock full of elite  offensive minds and talent, and the officiating is primed to let offensesrun wild in an effort to gain national attention. Our saving grace next season is that our offense should be set to really break out. 

33 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Don’t. 

Just dont. 

This was nearly a verbatim refrain from last year. Everyone thought the offensive production would be down with the conference breaking in all new QB’s and that our defense wouldn’t see much drop off. Oops. 

The conference is chock full of elite  offensive minds and talent, and the officiating is primed to let offensesrun wild in an effort to gain national attention. Our saving grace next season is that our offense should be set to really break out. 

Yep. Some schools will see a significant dropoff (looking at you, West Virginia), but others will be better than anyone expects them to be.

Baylor, Tech, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State will all be perfectly capable of exploiting any lackadaisical game prep.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The overrated chant is the dumbest chant in all of sports.

Hey everyone, this team we just beat isn't actually as good as people said! It's not that we're really good, it's that they're actually not that good!

It is stupid. It’s bad sportsmanship and shows a lack of class. It’s the dumbest fucking shit ever. Go back and watch what happened after that chant began. Instant bad karma. 

When you beat a team ranked higher thsn you, our fans should chant “under-rated”, if anything. Make it about us. Compliment us. 

God damn the over-rated chant is stupid. And embarrassing. A blemish on an otherwise great night.

I mentioned to a buddy re: Kris Boyd last night that we hardly heard his name.  We also hardly heard Riley Ridley's name.  That means to me that Boyd was nails.  Boyd gave us a tax free final game and I salute him for it. 

They picked on DD a bit, but he did pretty well, too.  KB and DD had a roller coaster run at UT, but not sure we are improving at that position until 2020.  Hope I am wrong and these freshmen (Cook and Green?) step up as sophomores.  

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2019 at 7:31 AM, Goredho said:

Herman and the other coaches deserve a ton of credit.  While nitpicking about OC deficiencies and 4th quarter drop-offs, remember this:  Kansas kicked our ass barely two years ago.  If you aren't already on the Herman train, fuck you, it left the station awhile ago.

Conceit.gif