Blake Gideon

ImGolfn

9 hours ago, troph said:

Never should have come down to that INT, selection committee fucked us. THE best example for why a playoff was needed then.  

That Texas team rolls the playoffs.  Colt doesn’t get hurt against Bama and Texas plays Florida Mack has 3 titles.  We were “that” close to a dynasty.  Shit Fred Akers was “that” close to 2 titles too. God dammit.

One set of balls on your aunt and you now have two uncles.  Its just as close.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, troph said:

Never should have come down to that INT, selection committee fucked us. THE best example for why a playoff was needed then.  

That Texas team rolls the playoffs.  Colt doesn’t get hurt against Bama and Texas plays Florida Mack has 3 titles.  We were “that” close to a dynasty.  Shit Fred Akers was “that” close to 2 titles too. God dammit.

it was astounding how close we got given that FUPM was asleep at the wheel in terms of recruiting and fucked our o-line/run game over as a result. Luckily we had elite guys just about everywhere else.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, USNALonghorn said:

Blake Gideon will forever be posterized for that sure INT drop against Tech. He should be very far down the list of reasons why we lost that game. 

-Playing uninspired and slow out of the gate? Check.

-Giving up a safety by handing the ball off deep in your endzone? Check.

-Pick six thrown by Colt McCoy in the third quarter? Check.

-Big12 refs not calling blatant holding against Tech? Check.

-Not letting the play clock wind down to less than 5 seconds on our go ahead drive? Check.

Unfortunately that was by far the most memorable play of the game. All of our pain and suffering from the game would have ended had he hung on to that INT. The ball was tumbling end over end and Blake was running at near full speed to try to catch it. I have seen easier "sure catches" dropped. 

Criticizing him for catching the fake punt INT against Alabama is some nitpicky shit. He probably was shocked that Alabama chose to run a fake punt from their own 20 to begin with. I'd honestly rather him catch the ball than fuck up trying to tip/bat down the pass and end up tipping it into the Alabama receiver's hands. God forbid we start on Alabama's 37 vs their 20. 

To me, his friendly fire kill shot and the shit talking while getting beat by OU receivers in 2011 are far more egregious acts.

We could piece a far more hilarious lowlight reel of Dylan Haines getting hurdled during Charlie Strong blowout losses. 

I also think you have to give credit where it's due. That Texas Tech team was the best team Leach ever had, and Graham Harrell probably ran the offense better than any qb he ever had. They had other playmakers on that offense, but Crabtree was the most physically gifted wr Leach ever worked with. Playing in Lubbock at night, with Gameday there. #2 Texas in their house...

Deep down I always felt like we were going to lose that game even though we were the better team. I think they would've done the same thing to just about every team in the country that night, including OU. That's what was so frustrating about 2008 and it's why I'll never view college football the same. We had the most impressive win in that 3 way tie. We beat #1 OU on a neutral site. #7 Tech beat us at home with college gameday in town, arguably the biggest regular season home game in the history of Texas Tech football. Same thing with OU over Tech. They won at home, at night, with college gameday setting the scene all day. All 3 are impressive wins, but one CLEARLY is more impressive than the other two. There really isn't an argument against it. College football will always be a joke because of 2008

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

That team had a four game stretch against top 7-8 teams and was the toughest in CFB history - OU, Missouri, oSu and Tech. Three were top 5 teams when we played them if I recall.  Best team in the country that year.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

Blake Gideon will forever be posterized for that sure INT drop against Tech. He should be very far down the list of reasons why we lost that game. 

-Not letting the play clock wind down to less than 5 seconds on our go ahead drive? Check.

Unfortunately that was by far the most memorable play of the game. All of our pain and suffering from the game would have ended had he hung on to that INT. The ball was tumbling end over end and Blake was running at near full speed to try to catch it. I have seen easier "sure catches" dropped. 

Criticizing him for catching the fake punt INT against Alabama is some nitpicky shit. He probably was shocked that Alabama chose to run a fake punt from their own 20 to begin with. I'd honestly rather him catch the ball than fuck up trying to tip/bat down the pass and end up tipping it into the Alabama receiver's hands. God forbid we start on Alabama's 37 vs their 20. 

To me, his friendly fire kill shot and the shit talking while getting beat by OU receivers in 2011 are far more egregious acts.

We could piece a far more hilarious lowlight reel of Dylan Haines getting hurdled during Charlie Strong blowout losses. 

Still, I don't remember a single comment from any player on that team during that time saying that Blake was a "coach on the field" -- I wonder where that retconning came from... just because he's returning to his alma mater to be a coach on the Sark staff now. I hope he and the coaching staff do a good job.

I also hope that every time a Texas DB drops an INT that there's not an immediate tight camera shot on Blake's reaction. LULZ

• Haha 1

On 1/7/2021 at 12:29 PM, USNALonghorn said:

Paging @THUJONE

Do you still have the MSPaint panels of Blake Gideon shit talking OU and subsequently getting burned by their WR?

I believe that was 2011, right after the RRS Mack special.

I was looking for this, but I think it was Dylan Haines. 

On 1/6/2021 at 1:04 PM, USNALonghorn said:

Don't forget the schedule the Big 12 gave us.  We started a 4 game stretch against teams ranked in the top 11 in the country.  Tech was the 4th game of that stretch.  It was one of the killer stretches of all time in college football in the regular season.  We opened conference play with Colorado, then OU who was ranked #1, Missouri was #11, Oklahoma St. was #7 and we played at #6 Texas Tech.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/6/2021 at 8:12 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If this is the response to him becoming   safeties coach, what’s going to happen when eventually becomes HC here?

nothing against Gideon the Coach.   maybe he's a good one, and he's earned the right.

but i see lots of revisionist history around blake -- "yall only remember him because of the Tech play".  lol, no, we remember him playing terribly long before that.

27 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

nothing against Gideon the Coach.   maybe he's a good one, and he's earned the right.

but i see lots of revisionist history around blake -- "yall only remember him because of the Tech play".  lol, no, we remember him playing terribly long before that.

Well, then he knows what to teach his DBs what not to do on the field.... and to avoid Waffle House.

On 1/6/2021 at 12:16 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

I also think you have to give credit where it's due. That Texas Tech team was the best team Leach ever had, and Graham Harrell probably ran the offense better than any qb he ever had. They had other playmakers on that offense, but Crabtree was the most physically gifted wr Leach ever worked with. Playing in Lubbock at night, with Gameday there. #2 Texas in their house...

Deep down I always felt like we were going to lose that game even though we were the better team. I think they would've done the same thing to just about every team in the country that night, including OU. That's what was so frustrating about 2008 and it's why I'll never view college football the same. We had the most impressive win in that 3 way tie. We beat #1 OU on a neutral site. #7 Tech beat us at home with college gameday in town, arguably the biggest regular season home game in the history of Texas Tech football. Same thing with OU over Tech. They won at home, at night, with college gameday setting the scene all day. All 3 are impressive wins, but one CLEARLY is more impressive than the other two. There really isn't an argument against it. College football will always be a joke because of 2008

If we are going to punch ourselves in the dick, this seems like the appropriate thread.

I'll just add that the Texas team was more qualified than the UF team that lost at home to a shitty Ole Miss team.  But Tebow! and SEC! and they beat Bama! so they got to go over us too.  Had OU and Texas been SEC teams, we would have had a rematch.  And I say all of this as a part time Gator fan.

Fuck everything about the 2008 championship.  That was the best Texas team I have seen aside from 2005.

• Hook 'Em 2

Prior to his arrival damn near every trick play in the book worked for the opposition. Now once he arrived, the opposition stopped running them so much because they weren't as successful. 2007 we were torched.

He's was a solid player except to overly critical assholes who expect every player to be all conference and all american while the opponents get 200 yards and 12 points every game.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Prior to his arrival damn near every trick play in the book worked for the opposition. Now once he arrived, the opposition stopped running them so much because they weren't as successful. 2007 we were torched.

He's was a solid player except to overly critical assholes who expect every player to be all conference and all american while the opponents get 200 yards and 12 points every game.
He was a tad slow against faster recievers and sometimes took bad angles to make the tackle, but he wasnt a horrible player. I'd say better than some of the safeties that came after him.

Don't forget the schedule the Big 12 gave us.  We started a 4 game stretch against teams ranked in the top 11 in the country.  Tech was the 4th game of that stretch.  It was one of the killer stretches of all time in college football in the regular season.  We opened conference play with Colorado, then OU who was ranked #1, Missouri was #11, Oklahoma St. was #7 and we played at #6 Texas Tech.
Another impactful scheduling moment, I believe the Arkansas game was pushed back two weeks so we got our bye earlier than scheduled and had a longer stretch of consecutive games.

He was a tad slow against faster recievers and sometimes took bad angles to make the tackle, but he wasnt a horrible player. I'd say better than some of the safeties that came after him.
Any DC that is constantly matching his safety up with WRs won't last long. Earl Thomas is an anomaly. Huff and M. Griffin were 1st round picks. Huff and Thomas were somewhat hybrids too. Those guys were elite. You can go back prior to that - Lance Gunn, Chris Carter. Those guys were slower than their offensive counterparts at wideout. But that was pre-high powered offenses. The safety position has gotten faster out of necessity, but safeties still get abused.

Then we all remember 3rd and 17 vs LSU when Sterns and Foster were too slow to cover. They simply shouldn't have been in those positions.

On 1/12/2021 at 8:11 AM, 52-80 said:

Yep.

He was ass mah dude.

On 1/12/2021 at 8:11 AM, 52-80 said:

He had only played 8 prior games as a true Freshman. Texas was mostly rolling up to the Tech game, and I recall people being generally pleased with the play of our two freshman safeties (Thomas was a RS Fr). 

23 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I have no beef with Gideon and really don’t get the constant hate. He dropped one ball that would have changed Texas Football history, no doubt, but the offensive coaching in that game left much to be desired.

Gideon was a smart player who played hard every snap. He always placed the team ahead of himself. Obviously, his teammates still appreciate him and he’s respected within the coaching community. We’d be much better off as a program if we had a lot more like him, on and off the field. 

Yeah I like to joke around and I think I really did hate him the night of that game but anyone who puts the blame of that loss solely on Blake is not very intelligent.  Also how many other games did he directly impact in a positive way and may have prevented losses that we wound up winning?   It was toward the end of the game so the simpletons point and say he caused the loss.  We are lucky to have him on this coaching staff.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...