Blake Gideon

ImGolfn

I was skeptical “DBU” would survive at several points post-2005. We had Palmer and Foster as starting CBs a couple years, including one where we redshirted Earl Thomas. Then Gideon gets to start for 4 years as “coach on the field” who had not “bled for the program. After a mediocre spell with not much to get excited about positively or negatively, we entered the Dylan Haines/Kevin Vaccaro/Jason Hall/John Bonney era. There’s a reason why we were so stoked about Davis, Hill, Boyd, Locke, Brandon Jones; more than we probably should have been! Hopefully it’s all 4 and 5 star talent in the backfield under Herman and we don’t get stuck with another Gideon or Haines due to a lack of options. 

10 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Colt should have run more time off the clock and shouldn’t have gotten hurt. Cost us 2 national championships.

Stupid oversimplifications are fun.

I mean you can certainly make the case that Blake catching that INT against Bama cost us. You can make the case that not running off more time when scoring against Tech cost us. You can make the case that Colt getting hurt cost us. There are dozens of plays after Colt got hurt against Bama that could have gone our way and still enabled us to win.

However there is a 100% chance that if Blake Gideon catches that INT against Tech, we win. That is quantifiable different than the other three cases.

• 1 year later...

I'm willing to give this hire a chance.  Houston's special teams were pretty good in 2019.  Ole Miss's kick coverage teams were both better than ours this year.  We know this has been a problem for some time.  Texas was better on kickoff returns, but D'Shawn Jamison helps with that.  Ole Miss was better, but not great, at returning punts.  

We're coming to reverse that curse. 

Shoulder injury to starting QB in a postseason game - check

Sooner legacy from Okie playing QB - check 

Taking a coach from the team that took our 2009 title - check 

Former scapegoat and national-title-appearance coster on coaching staff - check

Did I miss anything? What's next? First 1st-round offensive draft selection since 2006?

major league wake up bats GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Got a tip that I should drop in and see how things are going.  

Blake said something...Denny tell us that he always wanted to come back to Austin to coach?  

On 1/12/2019 at 12:21 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

For all the crap Gideon gets for that drop, I blame FUPM and Colt before I blame true freshmen Gideon and Earl Thomas.  On our last scoring drive, Texas should have been bleeding the play clock to <5 seconds instead of snapping it with >20 seconds. We should have done that until the game clock was under 30 seconds.

Now for a non-fabricated story.  Our family was watching that game along with my son's best friend. During that last drive, I was cussing at Colt after every play for not running the play clock down. When we scored, all the women-folk were dancing and hugging while I was throwing a hissy fit. They turned to me expecting a fucking high five or something, and all I could howl with a cracked voice was, "We left too much goddamned time on the clock." My son's friend (a Nebraska fan) thought that was so funny that he reminded me of that story for years.

In case anyone is wondering what role Thomas played in this, watch a replay of Crabtree's TD and notice how Thomas runs out of bounds instead of helping Brown (Curtis? Chykie?) keep Crabtree out of the end zone.

Ahhhhh, great fucking memories.

I was fussing at Colt too.  And if they get Crabtree down in bounds its game over.  They both seemed out of sorts.

So is Gideon going to teach out players how to not intercept passes?

On 1/12/2019 at 11:21 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

For all the crap Gideon gets for that drop, I blame FUPM and Colt before I blame true freshmen Gideon and Earl Thomas.  On our last scoring drive, Texas should have been bleeding the play clock to <5 seconds instead of snapping it with >20 seconds. We should have done that until the game clock was under 30 seconds.

Now for a non-fabricated story.  Our family was watching that game along with my son's best friend. During that last drive, I was cussing at Colt after every play for not running the play clock down. When we scored, all the women-folk were dancing and hugging while I was throwing a hissy fit. They turned to me expecting a fucking high five or something, and all I could howl with a cracked voice was, "We left too much goddamned time on the clock." My son's friend (a Nebraska fan) thought that was so funny that he reminded me of that story for years.

In case anyone is wondering what role Thomas played in this, watch a replay of Crabtree's TD and notice how Thomas runs out of bounds instead of helping Brown (Curtis? Chykie?) keep Crabtree out of the end zone.

Ahhhhh, great fucking memories.

What did the Nebraska guy think about Colt leaving time on the clock in 2009?

Edited by Dennis Taylor

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

What did the Nebraska guy think about Colt leaving time on the clock in 2009?

Glad you asked.

My son watched that B12 CCG at that friend’s house. His dad is a big Husker fan. The boys watched the game in a different room than Husker dad and Husker mom.

After the game, my son had to walk by them to leave, and Husker dad started screaming about how much he hated Texas. Husker mom was mortified.

We decided that the best recourse was good sportsmanship. We offered to take his friend to the Rose Bowl BCSCG, but he had to wear a Texas shirt.

My son sneaked a pic of his friend in the Texas shirt under the guise that the meal he ordered looked good. His friend realized too late what was up.

And no, I didn’t scream at a single Bama fan about how much I hated Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome home coach!  Yeah, he dropped an int and it sucked.  He's a great young coach who sounds like he'll improve our special teams and hopefully coach up the safeties.  I would kill for Texas to be relevant enough again that 1-2 plays could keep us from a championship, instead of fucking going into ten overtimes to beat a shitty tech team or getting our shit pushed in by tcu and every other shitty program in this conference where only ou should compete against us.

Gideon was smart enough to start 4 years on some great teams despite some clear physical limitations.  He's done great at his coaching stops since then and is well thought of by the coaches he's worked with and against.  

If he's the worst guy on the defensive side, we'll win a lot of games.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Never should have come down to that INT, selection committee fucked us. THE best example for why a playoff was needed then.  

That Texas team rolls the playoffs.  Colt doesn’t get hurt against Bama and Texas plays Florida Mack has 3 titles.  We were “that” close to a dynasty.  Shit Fred Akers was “that” close to 2 titles too. God dammit.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1