The way too early 2019 LSU at Texas game discussion

4th and 5

Damien Lewis on competition at left guard, no-huddle attack

Spoiler

On Monday, reporters heard from LSU head coach Ed Orgeron to start game week off at his first press luncheon ahead of Saturday's season opener against Georgia Southern. The coach of the Tigers is excited to unveil a new-look offense that offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger and passing game coordinator Joe Brady have been working on.

"Yeah, our guys are excited about it. I know offensively they've been working very hard. We're looking forward to putting this spread offense on the field against a good Georgia Southern defense," Orgeron told reporters on Monday at his press conference. "I want to see speed, we'll give the receivers the ball in space, let them make plays. But we want to be 50/50 with the run game. We still want to be physical. We want to control the clock. Be interested to see how we do. I think we'll do very well.

"We're going to be no-huddle. I told the guys to get in the huddle the other day. They don't know what that is any more."

To execute the offense the way Orgeron and Ensminger want, the offensive line will need to improve. One of the stalwarts on his offensive line from a year ago is senior Damien Lewis, who stepped in right away as a starter at right guard for the Tigers. The former junior college standout is a part of a group that is pretty much settled outside of the left guard spot.

"Well, Saahdiq (Charles) is going to start at left tackle. Left guard is going to be between Chasen Hines and Adrian Magee," Orgeron explained to the media. "Our center is going to be Lloyd (Cushenberry). Right guard is going to be D-Lew (Damien Lewis). Right tackle is going to be Austin (Deculus). Badara (Traore) is a guy that can play at guard, he can play tackle. Those guys will be interchangeable."

Here's what Lewis told reporters when he met with them on Monday evening after practice.

On Chasen Hines and how he's competing for the left guard spot and what he showed last year... "That kid has potential, that star potential. He's got the size. He's got that bubble butt. He's just ready. He's got power and I think that when we get him along, we're going to be good up front. We already got young pieces coming in like Charles Turner so when Chasen and those guys are real healthy, we're going to be hard to stop."

On the Florida-Miami game having mistakes and how to avoid them... "Be poised. No mistakes. Just come out there with that poise and just keep going forward, put the next play behind (you). People are going to make mistakes, but don't look at that one, just move on and have character and leadership out there."

On new offensive scheme making things difficult to perform right off the bat potentially... "Our offense, we're just going to see what we got when we play Georgia Southern."

On Hines and Adrian Magee competing at left guard... "They're just competing all around. Offensive linemen overall, I feel like we did real good this summer coming in and we got a lot of guys just competing. I feel like they're over there battling for the starting spot and who it's going to come down to.

On Badara Traore... "Badara, like you said, he can play anywhere down the line. I think he can play center, too. He came a long way for a guy from JUCO that didn't know the proper steps that good and coach Cregg coached him up and he's coming a long way. He's a big part of this offense. He coming on along. He's doing good. Versatile guy playing guard and tackle so he's playing a big role in the offense."

On if he might not have been ready for the season opener... "I'm ready to go. I'm out there already. That wasn't ever a doubt in my mind."

On Hines being thrown in there vs. Auburn... "I knew he was ready then. Chasen, like I told you, some people are born with it. Some people ain't. He's just one of those guys that just had it like that coming in as a freshman ready to go. Get in there, 'Coach put me in. I'm ready to go.' Put 11 men on the field and fight like Tigers."

On Lewis would have been ready as a freshman... "I'm ready. Throw me in there."

On last year developing chemistry amid injuries... "Nah because whether it's first string, second string or third string, when you get on that field, you're a Tiger. Ain't nobody going to look at it like that. Everybody got to know everything and they're going to come out there and compete and perform. I don't look at it like that. Just go out there and put the next man in."

On Anthony Bradford... "He a big old powerful dude. Just come in, trying to work and perform to get better and he's one of those guys that just needs some, I want to say, taking time and won't come on real quick like somebody just get it like that too. He needs someone to watch him and get him going. I feel like he's coming on along."

On the new tempo of the offense... "We're quick. We've got to get to that ball quick and from last year, we had to huddle. This year, we don't huddle that much and I'll be like, 'Dang, I wish we could huddle.' Get a break, too. This year, Coach E got us going. We trained in the summer so we got to go, get on the ball, quick snap and go."

On conditioning being different... "I'll say yeah because coach Moffitt has all those workouts and he be killing us out there. It's just a lot of running this year because we've got a lot of tempo offense. It was different."

On if there's a chip on the OL's shoulder heading into 2019... "I ain't even look at it like that. We coming in, we don't even have to prove nobody wrong. They're just going to see it for themselves come Saturday. They going to be like, okay, here we go."

On the offensive line being challenged... "Leadership, character, Lloyd Cushenberry. Those guys right there. We just come in, take it personal and just put it on us and we're going to carry the team. Without your offensive line, your team ain't nothing."

On Georgia Southern being an opportunity to show that... "Just going out there and competing with those guys. We go on their stuff every day. Just staying out here from our scout team. When we get out there, we're just going to see from there and hopefully, we can come out with the W."

28 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Can someone make a suggestion where the good folks from Baton Rouge can geaux for some good roadkill?  And someone might want to alert the squirrels of the 40 acres that Winter is Coming.... 

see my avatar?  you come eat with me...I'll have the goods for you that i'm cooking for some of these fucking heathens on this board.  

smoked, skin on porchetta rolled/stufffed with with boudin on the pork belly side and crabmeat dressing on the loin side, some crawfish etoufee empanadas,  etc.

btw, to e'eryone...you know what pisses me the fuck off?  this fucking board spell corrected "etoufee"

bunch of gotdamn heathens...

shoot me a PM, Steelers...

Edited by Kyrie Eleison
  • Like 8

I am actually going to be in Nola the night of the game. Any suggestions on a great bar to watch the game without getting beat down with nutria pelts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll also be in Nola the night of the game. Multiple people have told me not to wear UT stuff out at a bar during the game. I’m still planning on going out and watching and enjoying the atmosphere, just going to be incognito about cheering on the horns

2 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Damien Lewis on competition at left guard, no-huddle attack

Reveal hidden contents

On Monday, reporters heard from LSU head coach Ed Orgeron to start game week off at his first press luncheon ahead of Saturday's season opener against Georgia Southern. The coach of the Tigers is excited to unveil a new-look offense that offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger and passing game coordinator Joe Brady have been working on.

"Yeah, our guys are excited about it. I know offensively they've been working very hard. We're looking forward to putting this spread offense on the field against a good Georgia Southern defense," Orgeron told reporters on Monday at his press conference. "I want to see speed, we'll give the receivers the ball in space, let them make plays. But we want to be 50/50 with the run game. We still want to be physical. We want to control the clock. Be interested to see how we do. I think we'll do very well.

"We're going to be no-huddle. I told the guys to get in the huddle the other day. They don't know what that is any more."

To execute the offense the way Orgeron and Ensminger want, the offensive line will need to improve. One of the stalwarts on his offensive line from a year ago is senior Damien Lewis, who stepped in right away as a starter at right guard for the Tigers. The former junior college standout is a part of a group that is pretty much settled outside of the left guard spot.

"Well, Saahdiq (Charles) is going to start at left tackle. Left guard is going to be between Chasen Hines and Adrian Magee," Orgeron explained to the media. "Our center is going to be Lloyd (Cushenberry). Right guard is going to be D-Lew (Damien Lewis). Right tackle is going to be Austin (Deculus). Badara (Traore) is a guy that can play at guard, he can play tackle. Those guys will be interchangeable."

Here's what Lewis told reporters when he met with them on Monday evening after practice.

On Chasen Hines and how he's competing for the left guard spot and what he showed last year... "That kid has potential, that star potential. He's got the size. He's got that bubble butt. He's just ready. He's got power and I think that when we get him along, we're going to be good up front. We already got young pieces coming in like Charles Turner so when Chasen and those guys are real healthy, we're going to be hard to stop."

On the Florida-Miami game having mistakes and how to avoid them... "Be poised. No mistakes. Just come out there with that poise and just keep going forward, put the next play behind (you). People are going to make mistakes, but don't look at that one, just move on and have character and leadership out there."

On new offensive scheme making things difficult to perform right off the bat potentially... "Our offense, we're just going to see what we got when we play Georgia Southern."

On Hines and Adrian Magee competing at left guard... "They're just competing all around. Offensive linemen overall, I feel like we did real good this summer coming in and we got a lot of guys just competing. I feel like they're over there battling for the starting spot and who it's going to come down to.

On Badara Traore... "Badara, like you said, he can play anywhere down the line. I think he can play center, too. He came a long way for a guy from JUCO that didn't know the proper steps that good and coach Cregg coached him up and he's coming a long way. He's a big part of this offense. He coming on along. He's doing good. Versatile guy playing guard and tackle so he's playing a big role in the offense."

On if he might not have been ready for the season opener... "I'm ready to go. I'm out there already. That wasn't ever a doubt in my mind."

On Hines being thrown in there vs. Auburn... "I knew he was ready then. Chasen, like I told you, some people are born with it. Some people ain't. He's just one of those guys that just had it like that coming in as a freshman ready to go. Get in there, 'Coach put me in. I'm ready to go.' Put 11 men on the field and fight like Tigers."

On Lewis would have been ready as a freshman... "I'm ready. Throw me in there."

On last year developing chemistry amid injuries... "Nah because whether it's first string, second string or third string, when you get on that field, you're a Tiger. Ain't nobody going to look at it like that. Everybody got to know everything and they're going to come out there and compete and perform. I don't look at it like that. Just go out there and put the next man in."

On Anthony Bradford... "He a big old powerful dude. Just come in, trying to work and perform to get better and he's one of those guys that just needs some, I want to say, taking time and won't come on real quick like somebody just get it like that too. He needs someone to watch him and get him going. I feel like he's coming on along."

On the new tempo of the offense... "We're quick. We've got to get to that ball quick and from last year, we had to huddle. This year, we don't huddle that much and I'll be like, 'Dang, I wish we could huddle.' Get a break, too. This year, Coach E got us going. We trained in the summer so we got to go, get on the ball, quick snap and go."

On conditioning being different... "I'll say yeah because coach Moffitt has all those workouts and he be killing us out there. It's just a lot of running this year because we've got a lot of tempo offense. It was different."

On if there's a chip on the OL's shoulder heading into 2019... "I ain't even look at it like that. We coming in, we don't even have to prove nobody wrong. They're just going to see it for themselves come Saturday. They going to be like, okay, here we go."

On the offensive line being challenged... "Leadership, character, Lloyd Cushenberry. Those guys right there. We just come in, take it personal and just put it on us and we're going to carry the team. Without your offensive line, your team ain't nothing."

On Georgia Southern being an opportunity to show that... "Just going out there and competing with those guys. We go on their stuff every day. Just staying out here from our scout team. When we get out there, we're just going to see from there and hopefully, we can come out with the W."

This sounds very much like what happened to Texas at ND.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Per SECRant the rumor is this is Charles 3rd failed drug test. So a 4 game suspension. 

The only question is if the suspension has to be consecutive. Nothing like good ole SEC scheduling where you can sit players for 1/3 of your schedule because you play shit teams in nonconference. 

In general I agree but... uhhhh... we're one of their OOC games.. so...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

In general I agree but... uhhhh... we're one of their OOC games.. so...

They play 4 nonconference games. That's why it's a joke. Even if you play one decent to good opponent you can play 3 powder puffs. Throw in Vanderbilt and Arkansas they have 5 bye games. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I'm seeing talk on the boards that LSU will pick the games he gets suspended for.  Like a hypothetical 4 game suspension they'll have him miss this week, Northwestern State, Vandy, and Arkansas.

You gotta laugh if that’s what ends up happening, and hopefully coach o gets roasted for it, but that’s just ridiculous an likely wishful thinking from dumbass fans.

2 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

You gotta laugh if that’s what ends up happening, and hopefully coach o gets roasted for it, but that’s just ridiculous an likely wishful thinking from dumbass fans.

It'll be the usual "oh those rascally Cajuns, aren't they cute" coverage LSU always gets.

2 hours ago, SamDaddy19 said:

I’ll also be in Nola the night of the game. Multiple people have told me not to wear UT stuff out at a bar during the game. I’m still planning on going out and watching and enjoying the atmosphere, just going to be incognito about cheering on the horns

Rusty Nail.

22 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I'm seeing talk on the boards that LSU will pick the games he gets suspended for.  Like a hypothetical 4 game suspension they'll have him miss this week, Northwestern State, Vandy, and Arkansas.

Sounds about right 

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

Saban did it. It was 2 games and he served 1 game, than the next game got moved to later in the year. The 3rd game (2nd in reality) was a tough game and he played. Later sat the scrub game later in the year out. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They play 4 nonconference games. That's why it's a joke. Even if you play one decent to good opponent you can play 3 powder puffs. Throw in Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and Arkansas they have 5 bye games are bowl eligible before the season starts. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Definitely not a pipe dream. I don't know if LSU specifically has been done it, but it's absolutely been done in that part of the world. 

15 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Definitely not a pipe dream. I don't know if LSU specifically has been done it, but it's absolutely been done in that part of the world. 

The insider who original posted the rumor confirmed that they’re looking at doing this 

36 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This was on Tigerdroppings posted by one of the LSU OL, McGee.  "Monsta" is Charles.

So his Snapchat says “My brother quit going to football practice and found another way to score (sad face) #freemonsta” 

That sounds worse than just a regular steroid suspension....

No. He will miss checkers, shuffle board, fortnight, and connect 4.

No. He will miss checkers, shuffle board, fortnight, and connect 4.

12 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Yeah I know. I still have my student ID.

As a current student I can tell you now that they scan your ID as the ticket into the game itself. The system knows if your ID has the Big Ticket purchased under your UTEID. You may be able to get lucky and find a friend that looks like you, or get a stadium worker that doesn't look at the picture on the ID. 

I don't give a fuck if Anthony Munoz is about to get in a time machine and become a college eligible OL playing for LSU. 

We are going to live in Burrows kitchen so bad we're going to have him mindfucked and seeing shadows all season. 

And we will watch, after we beat their fucking balls off, and we will laugh and we will laugh. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Someone should tell him that's not called a suspension. That's called DNP -Load Management.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This is possibly a 6 game suspension. They'd probably still play him against Texas, but that would mean not playing him against one losable SEC game like Miss State (Vandy and Ole Miss probably aren't real threats to them). 

10 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

As a current student I can tell you now that they scan your ID as the ticket into the game itself. The system knows if your ID has the Big Ticket purchased under your UTEID. You may be able to get lucky and find a friend that looks like you, or get a stadium worker that doesn't look at the picture on the ID. 

Katfid could turn that system into a travesshammockery.

LSU football practice report (Aug. 28): Star freshman Marcel Brooks works with pass rushers

Spoiler

LSU may have hinted at how they'll use star true freshman safety Marcel Brooks this season, including in the season opener against Georgia Southern's gun option attack in the season opener on Saturday.

The 6-foot-2, 194-pound Brooks, a former five-star recruit, went through pass rush drills with linebackers and defensive linemen during LSU's full-pads practice in the indoor facility Wednesday afternoon.

Brooks was the nation's No. 2 outside linebacker of the 2019 recruiting class, according to 247Sports, and the LSU coaching staff has said they can use Brooks much like they did unanimous All-American safety Grant Delpit.

LSU coach Ed Orgeron has said that Brooks can be used both in pass coverage as a safety and as a run stopper and blitzer close to the line of scrimmage.

"(We'll) give him a chance to use his speed," Orgeron said during preseason camp, "put him in the right position to play."

Starting left tackle Saahdiq Charles did not practice Wednesday afternoon, and senior tackle Badara Traore drilled with the first team in Charles' place. Traore wore a gold non-contact jersey.

Senior Adrian Magee continued to run with the first team at left guard, and he was followed by sophomore Chasen Hines and junior Donavaughn Campbell.

LSU's official depth chart lists Magee and Hines both as possible starters at left guard, and Orgeron said either could start.

Junior tight end TK McLendon practiced on Wednesday after missing Tuesday's practice, and senior wide receiver Derrick Dillon practiced without limitations after wearing a gold non-contact jersey on Tuesday.

2 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

LSU football practice report (Aug. 28): Star freshman Marcel Brooks works with pass rushers

Reveal hidden contents

LSU may have hinted at how they'll use star true freshman safety Marcel Brooks this season, including in the season opener against Georgia Southern's gun option attack in the season opener on Saturday.

The 6-foot-2, 194-pound Brooks, a former five-star recruit, went through pass rush drills with linebackers and defensive linemen during LSU's full-pads practice in the indoor facility Wednesday afternoon.

Brooks was the nation's No. 2 outside linebacker of the 2019 recruiting class, according to 247Sports, and the LSU coaching staff has said they can use Brooks much like they did unanimous All-American safety Grant Delpit.

LSU coach Ed Orgeron has said that Brooks can be used both in pass coverage as a safety and as a run stopper and blitzer close to the line of scrimmage.

"(We'll) give him a chance to use his speed," Orgeron said during preseason camp, "put him in the right position to play."

Starting left tackle Saahdiq Charles did not practice Wednesday afternoon, and senior tackle Badara Traore drilled with the first team in Charles' place. Traore wore a gold non-contact jersey.

Senior Adrian Magee continued to run with the first team at left guard, and he was followed by sophomore Chasen Hines and junior Donavaughn Campbell.

LSU's official depth chart lists Magee and Hines both as possible starters at left guard, and Orgeron said either could start.

Junior tight end TK McLendon practiced on Wednesday after missing Tuesday's practice, and senior wide receiver Derrick Dillon practiced without limitations after wearing a gold non-contact jersey on Tuesday.

Marcel Brooks...

giphy.gif

18 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This was on Tigerdroppings posted by one of the LSU OL, McGee.  "Monsta" is Charles.

So his Snapchat says “My brother quit going to football practice and found another way to score (sad face) #freemonsta” 

Wait, is he saying, if you suspend him, he'll score more weed anyway. Shit, this kid has a major problem. Maybe getting him help off the field should take priority.

On 8/26/2019 at 12:59 PM, TexArcher said:

All of this.

Call me a homer, but I feel like we should be favored by 6 or 7 at home over LSU.  

And there's reason to believe that we're better than we were last January.  And LSU is not better than Georgia was last January.

And I expect roughly the same result.  We physically beat their ass and win by 7 or 10 in a game that really wasn't that close.

Some of y’all are in line for a large slice of humble pie. Y’all remind me of Miami fans before our game last season. Delusional. Unfortunately for Longhorn fans the result of our game on Sept. 7th will be very similar to the result of the LSU vs. Miami game. I don’t know how LSU will win or by what margin, but make no mistake, the Tigers will win. 

I see a few of you harping on beating Georgia last season but none of you seem to realize that LSU also played Georgia last season, they also beat the Bulldogs, and furthermore did so in a more convincing fashion. By the way, y’all are welcome for the game film on how to exploit Georgia’s weaknesses. Y’all may not have made such easy work of Georgia without it. 

I’m excited for this matchup and hopefully this L y’all take on Sept. 7th won’t derail your season like it did Miami’s last year. Hey, Hook’em though!

• Fuck You 10

4 minutes ago, BasedTiger said:

Some of y’all are in line for a large slice of humble pie. Y’all remind me of Miami fans before our game last season. Delusional. Unfortunately for Longhorn fans the result of our game on Sept. 7th will be very similar to the result of the LSU vs. Miami game. I don’t know how LSU will win or by what margin, but make no mistake, the Tigers will win. 

I see a few of you harping on beating Georgia last season but none of you seem to realize that LSU also played Georgia last season, they also beat the Bulldogs, and furthermore did so in a more convincing fashion. By the way, y’all are welcome for the game film on how to exploit Georgia’s weaknesses. Y’all may not have made such easy work of Georgia without it. 

I’m excited for this matchup and hopefully this L y’all take on Sept. 7th won’t derail your season like it did Miami’s last year. Hey, Hook’em though!

you can tell ed o to go and get his fucking shine box . 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BasedTiger said:

1. You beat Georiga at death valley. We beat them on a neutral field in a NY6 bowl game. 

2. Miami sucks peen. If this Texas team isn't better than a 7-6 Miami team that played in a dogshit conference then I guess you might be right. 

• Like 2