Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Ok, tell me if I'm wrong here.

We agreed to dog sit our friend's two dogs for two nights.  One of them is...let's say on the spectrum.  He is inbred and just very off.  He's a sweet dog overall, but has some weird behavioral issues.  We have kept him before, but it wasn't fun and we have a flight to catch tomorrow morning.

We kept him last night and got ZERO sleep because he just howls all night long.  Like, nonstop.  We had to put him downstairs in his kennel and "sleep" with pillows over our heads.  Neither us, nor our dogs, nor his brother got much sleep and to top it all off, when he does sleep, he has night terrors where he wakes up and attacks whatever is nearest him.  He did this to me when we were on the couch earlier.

His home is less than two miles away and I made the call to take them back to their home to sleep tonight so we could get some actual sleep before our flight.  Also, we have to take my two dogs out to Steiner Ranch in the morning to drop them off at the in law's house.  So I'm also avoiding another trip to take the neighbor dogs back to their house in the morning.  Essentially, just shortening the neighbor dogs' stay with us by 12 hours.

Wife is not happy.  Should we have kept them and gotten no sleep again just to bring them back to their house tomorrow at 8am anyway?

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ok, tell me if I'm wrong here.

We agreed to dog sit our friend's two dogs for two nights.  One of them is...let's say on the spectrum.  He is inbred and just very off.  He's a sweet dog overall, but has some weird behavioral issues.  We have kept him before, but it wasn't fun and we have a flight to catch tomorrow morning.

We kept him last night and got ZERO sleep because he just howls all night long.  Like, nonstop.  We had to put him downstairs in his kennel and "sleep" with pillows over our heads.  Neither us, nor our dogs, nor his brother got much sleep and to top it all off, when he does sleep, he has night terrors where he wakes up and attacks whatever is nearest him.  He did this to me when we were on the couch earlier.

His home is less than two miles away and I made the call to take them back to their home to sleep tonight so we could get some actual sleep before our flight.  Also, we have to take my two dogs out to Steiner Ranch in the morning to drop them off at the in law's house.  So I'm also avoiding another trip to take the neighbor dogs back to their house in the morning.  Essentially, just shortening the neighbor dogs' stay with us by 12 hours.

Wife is not happy.  Should we have kept them and gotten no sleep again just to bring them back to their house tomorrow at 8am anyway?

Benadryl 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I look after a ton of dogs. Had 12 up until today. Any owner with a dog that sketchy needs to pay for a professional kennel. I don't say that lightly, as I get a few with behavioral issues, but most of those issues get sorted out by the pack. If they don't, they don't get to come back.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Deej said:

I look after a ton of dogs. Had 12 up until today. Any owner with a dog that sketchy needs to pay for a professional kennel. I don't say that lightly, as I get a few with behavioral issues, but most of those issues get sorted out by the pack. If they don't, they don't get to come back.

Oh absolutely. We are a dog hotel at times. Not 12, but have done up to 6 before. Not a problem. This is an excessive situation. I’m really sorry that my friend can’t go on trips and such because her dog is nuts. She knew that when they decided to keep him.  I’m fucking pissed right now, so I know I’m being a bit insensitive, but come the fuck on. 

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh absolutely. We are a dog hotel at times. Not 12, but have done up to 6 before. Not a problem. This is an excessive situation. I’m really sorry that my friend can’t go on trips and such because her dog is nuts. She knew that when they decided to keep him.  I’m fucking pissed right now, so I know I’m being a bit insensitive, but come the fuck on. 

They make doggy Prozac.

Yeah, I wouldn't keep that dog again. I have one now whose owner has ruined the dog. When she dropped her off, her boyfriend got the dog out of the car and it was fine. As soon as he handed the leash over to her, you could see the bad energy travel down the leash to the dog. Finally got the dog inside and she relaxed but then bit my hand as she was happily letting me rub her ears. Just snapped for no reason without warning. 5 days later, without her mom around, and other dogs to keep her occupied, she's been perfect. I feel bad that she has to go back home to that.

Edited by Deej

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Yeah, I wouldn't keep that dog again. I have one now whose owner has ruined the dog. When she dropped her off, her boyfriend got the dog out of the car and it was fine. As soon as he handed the leash over to her, you could see the bad energy travel down the leash to the dog. Finally got the dog inside and she relaxed but then bit my hand as she was happily letting me rub her ears. Just snapped for no reason without warning. 5 days later, without her mom around, and other dogs to keep her occupied, she's been perfect. I feel bad that she has to go back home to that.

Well, I'm keeping it tonight apparently and I'm also definitely not getting laid, which was also in the works before this shit show.  Awesome.  Awesome start to my week in Nola.  

I had a very similar situation many years ago. Buddy and his gf were spending a weekend away somewhere (somewhat nearby... driving distance) and asked me and my gf to watch his dog for the weekend. Dog had a shame cone on because of some crazy allergies it had and had been chewing himself to death. Also had some other health issues going on that they didn't tell us about. He whined and barked the entire night and we got zero sleep, even when putting his crate at the other end of the house. The next day I called my buddy and told him it wasn't happening for night two. He couldn't get anyone else to watch them so they came back home early. I felt bad for "ruining" their weekend away but honestly that was his fault for asking me to watch a dog without disclosing all of the bullshit first. I'm about 95% sure the idea came from his gf to ask me because she was a cunt and always hated me anyways. 

Edited by NorthLoop
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

They make doggy Prozac.

We dog sit for one family of doodles and they are not trained and not house trained one is dumb as a sack of rocks the other neurotic as can be. Cbd (no thc) calms the crazy one. The dumb one is harmless just dumb. The third is a house shitting chihuahua. Kennel. But they bark and shit and pee everywhere. It’s awful.

Meet Charlie.  His foster dad takes him to the dog park that I take Sebastian to and I’ve known Charlie for a couple of months from there. He’s a rescue from a pretty bad situation and is really a good dog.  He’s very lovable and gets along well with people and other dogs.  He’s also pretty calm for a Husky.  He and Sebastian get along and play well together.  I love Charlie to death and would adopt him in a heartbeat if my life wasn’t such a mess right now.  It just breaks my heart that I don’t think I can.  It’s hard to tell from his picture, but he’s missing about half of his right ear from the abuse, but other than that he has healed up fine.  I’d really like to meet the person that abused him.

2B21057D-7357-451D-BEE8-3F64BF5AB4FA.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4