Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Anybody here dealt with acral lick dermatitis? This guy just can't help himself. His vet prescribed antibiotics, steroids and an ointment, but the hardest part is when I have to leave him at home. He's wearing a cone and a neck pillow in his crate while I'm gone, but he's clever enough to still get his rear paw far enough forward to lick it, so recovery has been challenging.

20240215-110040.jpg

Screenshot-20240227-215531-Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

Is he food driven at all? Buy the most difficult puzzle toy you can find, fill it with kibble, and leave it with him. He'll be too preoccupied with trying to get the food. 

I had one for Penny when she was a puppy to keep her too busy to destroy stuff when I wasn't at home. It was a plastic bottle that had a rope through the neck. In order to get the food out, she had to learn that the rope had to be pushed to catch a piece of kibble, then pulled out to pull the kibble out of the neck. It only worked for once piece at a time and kept her mind occupied for hours. 

Yes, but there are times when I'm gone for hours and I wouldn't want to leave something in his crate with him like that. Once he got bored of it, he'd destroy it.

I've been using the ointment and wrapping it with self-adhesive bandage wrap so it doesn't get on anything. I mistakenly left one on him while I went to HEB the other day (they were open) and when I got home, he had pulled the bandage off and eaten it... even with his cone and neck pillow on. 

5 minutes ago, SurlyBDR said:

Yes, but there are times when I'm gone for hours and I wouldn't want to leave something in his crate with him like that. Once he got bored of it, he'd destroy it.

I've been using the ointment and wrapping it with self-adhesive bandage wrap so it doesn't get on anything. I mistakenly left one on him while I went to HEB the other day (they were open) and when I got home, he had pulled the bandage off and eaten it... even with his cone and neck pillow on. 

This thing was super heavy duty plastic. It took years before the rope itself finally wore out, and Penny is a hardcore chewer. 

https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-busy-buddy-tug-jug-treat/dp/48814

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

Whew. Had a bit of scare but all is well.

Luna had developed this plum sized cyst on her neck. Didn't seem to bother her at all, but I took her in anyway. 

The vet drained it and it was nothing but water. Totally clear.  

Vet said it will just fill up again but not to worry unless it bothers the dog.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

Heiani and Aliyanah playing after I got home last night from a movie. Heiani just rests her head wherever she wants to! If only I could get her to rest long enough so I could finish cutting off Ali’s winter coat.IMG_0102.thumb.jpeg.491f146c67a8028ff91ca386ccbe6f11.jpeg

What are those?  Pretty cute.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

What are those?  Pretty cute.

Ali is a full blooded Shih Tzu and the pup Heiani is a mix of Shih Tzu and it seems a little terrier. She looks so much different with all her hair. I cut probably 90 percent of hers off. Ali is getting the same cut hopefully tonight when I get home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Can someone recommend a good groomer in Dallas? Picked up my dog on Saturday and she had been nicked up and down her chest and belly. Fired them on the soot. 

65504530573__9D65066F-B952-4DD6-B40A-79585AAC3529.jpeg

(214) 526-3243

It's a place called Perky Poodle and it's located on West Mockingbird at the Lemmon intersection (shopping center where Fuzzy's Tacos and LA Fitness is also located). 

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hpslugga said:

Speaking of, here's my pet:

IMG_4489.JPG.83ec97a13818f1299dfffc9ebdc07298.JPG

4-year old American Pit Bull Terrier, named Brea, adopted from Operation Kindness in December 2022. Brea was a fatty then but she's gotten the weight down thanks to a controlled, low-protein diet. She's also completely deaf and fairly nearsighted, at least enough to where she only plays fetch indoors (always thinks I'm gonna throw the ball too far in the park). 

She's also affectionate as hell, playful, and very well behaved.

Anyways, those stupid Karens on the pit bull thread are about as clueless and ignorant as it is possible to be. 

Best dog I’ve ever had was my wife's (then girlfriend) pit bull mix that she brought with her into our relationship. He was the smartest dog I’ve ever had and he was also a big ole softy at heart even though he tried to act tough. I miss that dog every day. The two of us understood each other and could communicate at a level I’ve never had in the other ten or so dogs I’ve had in my life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, royiv said:

Best dog I’ve ever had was my wife's (then girlfriend) pit bull mix that she brought with her into our relationship. He was the smartest dog I’ve ever had and he was also a big ole softy at heart even though he tried to act tough. I miss that dog every day. The two of us understood each other and could communicate at a level I’ve never had in the other ten or so dogs I’ve had in my life.

Got any pictures?  

On 3/19/2024 at 7:17 AM, hpslugga said:

Speaking of, here's my pet:

IMG_4489.JPG.83ec97a13818f1299dfffc9ebdc07298.JPG

4-year old American Pit Bull Terrier, named Brea, adopted from Operation Kindness in December 2022. Brea was a fatty then but she's gotten the weight down thanks to a controlled, low-protein diet. She's also completely deaf and fairly nearsighted, at least enough to where she only plays fetch indoors (always thinks I'm gonna throw the ball too far in the park). 

She's also affectionate as hell, playful, and very well behaved.

Anyways, those stupid Karens on the pit bull thread are about as clueless and ignorant as it is possible to be. 

They should watch the episode of Pit Dogs and Paroles with Micheal Griffin. In fact, they should watch a number of those episodes. I've volunteered at the animal shelter for a long time and I've had Chihuahuas, Terrriers, French Bulldogs bite me, and Great Danes try. But the only thing all the hundreds of Pit Bulls I walked ever did was want to sit in my lap and lick me to death.

I know people will say, "well a Chihuahua won't hurt you". Well, a Great Dane sure will.

There are certainly some rotten Pit Bull owners though.

21 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Got any pictures?  

Found one from when he was getting old. Miss this guy. Definitely captures the lab part of him, which is what my now wife always put on rental applications when she was a renter before we met.

717.thumb.jpeg.36d7f173520d7171ae7e70bed8eeef20.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

I come in peace and hoping for advice.

I'm mostly indifferent to dogs.

I've never owned a dog but have cared for and dog-sat a few family dogs. I actually just finished dog-sitting a really great mixed breed for a friend. He didn't bark (unless someone came right up to the door) and he was smart, energetic and probably helped me lose 5 pounds running with and (watching him) zoom in the backyard like a greyhound.

That said, for the past 6 years I've lived near/around dogs, in two different locations, that bark all the time and have owners that seem to not give a shit.

So I ask of thee, dog owners - I'm trying not to presume - are there dogs or dog breeds that "just bark" and can't be helped? Or is it just lazy or disrespectful owners? Maybe both.

I already had a conversation with the current neighbor. Nice enough guy but he essentially threw up his hands and said "He's a covid dog and wasn't trained or socialized." Not sure the breed.

But what's stopping that from happening now? Can he not be trained as a 4 or 5 year old dog to not bark, or bark more infrequently? 

It wouldn't be a huge deal but the dog barks at everything and they keep him outside a lot. Wind, flying insects, and of course me going out to mow, smoke a brisket, or just look at the sky. The owner(s) usually just mildly say "Stop. No. Stop that. C'mon now." for a few minutes, which has no effect. 

• Rage+1 1