Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

Imagine getting ready in the morning, taking one last look at this in the mirror, and saying to yourself “Yeah, I’m ready for my professional headshot”.

58 minutes ago, Viper said:

I think the bigger mystery is why his hair and beard are two different colors

Only so many colors and sizes to choose from.egtopper_06_lg_525x700.jpg?v=1494182242

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Spoke to someone who knows Saban and is as close to this stuff nationally as anyone. He thinks there's merit to Saban negging ATM to Shepherd, hard. I know we laugh at those fuckers for their paranoia, but this is far from an aggie passing on validity. 

Hang on, I'm supposed to believe that Nick Saban took time out of his schedule to fly to Houston and talk to a kid he wasn't interested in, solely for the purpose of keeping him from A&M???  That's aggy's wet dream.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Still, seems like a lot of work to potentially prevent an above average prospect from going to play at a slightly above average conference team. But he’s Saban and I’m not.

He's not flying down to Texas to tell JS not to go to A&M. He's meeting with JS and part of that is "hey don't go to goober", because who wouldn't pass up a chance to tell a top recruit that. 

Edited by UncleBuck

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Hang on, I'm supposed to believe that Nick Saban took time out of his schedule to fly to Houston and talk to a kid he wasn't interested in, solely for the purpose of keeping him from A&M???  That's aggy's wet dream.

Keeping teams down is just as important as keeping yours up. We have strategically raided TCU's class the last two years. 

Not that this matters, but Mike Farrell said he would change Bru McCoy's bust factor from medium to low after the transfer to Texas. 

Spoiler

Bru McCoy was at USC for a couple of weeks or so and decided he had enough. Kliff Kingsbury was gone and so was the promise of a dynamic offense, so McCoy decided to take a hit and transfer to Texas. Most likely he will have to sit out a year although you can bet he’s appealing for a waiver based on the fact that he was allegedly lied to by Kingsbury and company, but even if he does have to sit out a year, he made the right choice. 

Why? There are many reasons. First and foremost, the USC program is an absolute mess and recruiting has been horrible. McCoy would have been the only five-star in the class with limited talent around him and we all know Helton is on the hot seat and could be gone as early as the middle of next season. 

But even as USC has been landing multiple five stars each year, they still haven’t developed them and have been one of the most underachieving programs in the country. 

Meanwhile Texas is on the rise under Tom Herman, who isn’t going anywhere anytime soon and the Longhorns have a chance to be a national title contender over the next few years. And the Big 12 offenses are impossible to stop and Texas has shown they can develop big, physical receivers. 

I had some doubt about whether McCoy would become a star at USC, so I gave him a “medium” bust factor just recently when he was still a USC signee. That bust factor falls to “low” at Texas where I think he can become an absolute star.

14 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Not that this matters, but Mike Farrell said he would change Bru McCoy's bust factor from medium to low after the transfer to Texas. 

Reveal hidden contents

Bru McCoy was at USC for a couple of weeks or so and decided he had enough. Kliff Kingsbury was gone and so was the promise of a dynamic offense, so McCoy decided to take a hit and transfer to Texas. Most likely he will have to sit out a year although you can bet he’s appealing for a waiver based on the fact that he was allegedly lied to by Kingsbury and company, but even if he does have to sit out a year, he made the right choice. 

Why? There are many reasons. First and foremost, the USC program is an absolute mess and recruiting has been horrible. McCoy would have been the only five-star in the class with limited talent around him and we all know Helton is on the hot seat and could be gone as early as the middle of next season. 

But even as USC has been landing multiple five stars each year, they still haven’t developed them and have been one of the most underachieving programs in the country. 

Meanwhile Texas is on the rise under Tom Herman, who isn’t going anywhere anytime soon and the Longhorns have a chance to be a national title contender over the next few years. And the Big 12 offenses are impossible to stop and Texas has shown they can develop big, physical receivers. 

I had some doubt about whether McCoy would become a star at USC, so I gave him a “medium” bust factor just recently when he was still a USC signee. That bust factor falls to “low” at Texas where I think he can become an absolute star.

iddc6jzk0pd21.gif

43 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Reveal hidden contents

The real reason? Fear. He doesn't want to talk about McCoy with a huge bust factor only to have him go off on his beloved Sooners, so this is a great way to walk that back. 

The fear is real. 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

100 year decision!  Something, something, collegiality!

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif

"Meanwhile Texas is on the rise under Tom Herman, who isn’t going anywhere anytime soon and the Longhorns have a chance to be a national title contender over the next few years. And the Big 12 offenses are impossible to stop and Texas has shown they can develop big, physical receivers. "

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Saban and Bama have been recruiting Shepherd because they want him at Bama. If they can’t get him to Bama because of proximity, which is allegedly the problem, negging the team you play every year in the process of the recruitment is something to do and happens plenty. 

• Like 1

Are we concerned at all about McCoy's lack of top end speed?  Is he going to have to fight for every catch because he's not fast enough to get open?  I'm sure this is asked and answered somewhere but I can't pore through 900 pages, don't want to post anything noncelebratory on his personal thread, and wanted to contribute to #1000.

Are we concerned at all about McCoy's lack of top end speed?  Is he going to have to fight for every catch because he's not fast enough to get open?  I'm sure this is asked and answered somewhere but I can't pore through 900 pages, don't want to post anything noncelebratory on his personal thread, and wanted to contribute to #1000.

Yes. We’re all extremely concerned. I’ll withhold my season ticket renewal until this is settled.
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

There are other ways of getting open besides having elite straight-line speed.

3 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

You did watch LJH at some point this season, didn't you?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I played at Delmar Stadium. Second game of my sophomore year, my first game to start on varsity. We played Scarborough and beat them. I don’t even know if that HS still exists. I remember our star CB tearing his knee up in the first half and wailing as they put him on a stretcher. It was traumatic for a 15 year old. Not as traumatic as watching Javonne Shepherd choose a hat, but traumatic nonetheless. 

It’s still there. I graduated from Scarborough over 40 years ago and it was all white then.  The demographics of that area have changed significantly.  

Surprised Delmar still exists.

5 hours ago, WBT said:

I played Wheatley HS in the smaller stadium in the Delmar parking lot...Dwyer maybe?  They were godawful and other than the band there were about a dozen people in the stands on their side of the stadium.  They lived up to all of the HISD stereotypes.

Dyer Stadium.  I hated that place, and Delmar wasn't much better.  I liked playing at Butler Stadium out on S. Main.

21 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

very concerned.  I have labeled him as having high bust potential.  I see him finishing his career as a slow-twitch DE on rushing downs. 

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

He's a hell of a lot faster than Kwame Cavil ever was.

Man, Cavil demonstrated more clearly than anyone in history the difference between track speed and football speed. He ran away from people faster than any other slow person ever.

Edited by Walden Ponderer
Department of Redundancy Department.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Man, Cavil demonstrated more clearly than anyone in history the difference between track speed and football speed. He ran away from people faster than any other slow person ever.

Yep.  He was a reception machine in 1999.  He snagged 100 balls that year, almost as many as your mom.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

Dyer Stadium.  I hated that place, and Delmar wasn't much better.  I liked playing at Butler Stadium out on S. Main.

The basketball arena at Delmar was remodeled a few years ago and is now one of the best arenas in Houston. HISD actually did a good job for once. 

Edited by Chicken fried bacon