Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

14 hours ago, achooloco said:

Glad the racist shithead and posts are gone but the douche nozzle wrote “I created the idea of Kate faps whenever dumbasses were posting cat facts in the 2015 thread. “

So In my head I can see the thread and how the Kate posts started, hell I was even the one who pointed out the post and spot later on when someone else was asking how/when it all started.

But for the life of me I can’t remember the exact posters or what was exactly said. And of course it’s all scat posts or probably deleted but I sure as hell don’t remember a shitty poster starting the convo, let alone a racist PoS. In fact I thought it was mostly known folk. Anyone else have a better memory? (Doing my part to 1000)

Maybe this guy?

0:12 PM#27489
bungholereputation_pos.png reputation_pos.png reputation_pos.png reputation_pos.png reputation_pos.png reputation_highpos.png reputation_highpos.png reputation_highpos.png reputation_highpos.png reputation_highpos.png reputation_highpos.pngFit Girls Only's Avatar

Wow. Kate and "the shocker" on back to back pages. I love recruiting.  

Can pics of Beckinsale become the new cat facts?
  • Like 4

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

Maybe this guy?

0:12 PM#27489
bungholereputation_pos.png reputation_pos.png reputation_pos.png reputation_pos.png reputation_pos.png reputation_highpos.png reputation_highpos.png reputation_highpos.png reputation_highpos.png reputation_highpos.png reputation_highpos.pngFit Girls Only's Avatar

Wow. Kate and "the shocker" on back to back pages. I love recruiting.  

Can pics of Beckinsale become the new cat facts? 

Pretty sure that was how it happened, because I remember just a few posts later, someone calling them "Kate Faps," right?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

I don't think it's anything fishier than a kid that was lied to a lot during his recruitment and is now leaving. He had no interest playing inside at DT and made that pretty clear during his recruitment, but with Grinch starting the assessment process I'd bet they talked to him again about moving inside and he's done with their bullshit.  

Uh.....maybe.

On 2/9/2019 at 10:10 PM, Rimbo said:

giphy.gif 

I dunno, is that hot? Because I think that's hot. But I've been negged for expressing my opinion on hotness before, ya know.

Funnily enough, she was both the first person to get hit with a puck at the Florida Panthers' arena, AND the first person to get hit by two pucks there.

8 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, we'll find out how much juice a grad transfer from Ga Tech can generate. He doesn't visit until March 1st, so we should have plenty of time to fart around until then.

There's also the GTRBTBNL (grad transfer RB to be named later)

Edited by texifornia

45 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, we'll find out how much juice a grad transfer from Ga Tech can generate. He doesn't visit until March 1st, so we should have plenty of time to fart around until then.

Yeah on the other GD 2019 GT recruiting thread that’s ALREADY stolen 20 pages from this one. 

Outside of OL and RB, what else would be on the wish list grad transfer wise?

A legit starter at DL or DT? I guess you never say no to a potential starter at CB, but really the level of player coming in from a grad transfer makes little sense outside of a couple of positions...

Damn that is a weird thing to type after the end of Mack and the era of Charlie... 

Hell, I would even go as far to say that the kicking game really is better off than the run of the mill you could get from the transfer portal.

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

Outside of OL and RB, what else would be on the wish list grad transfer wise?

A legit starter at DL or DT? I guess you never say no to a potential starter at CB, but really the level of player coming in from a grad transfer makes little sense outside of a couple of positions...

Damn that is a weird thing to type after the end of Mack and the era of Charlie... 

Hell, I would even go as far to say that the kicking game really is better off than the run of the mill you could get from the transfer portal.

Sounds like we won't consider pursuing a DL until after Spring Practice. If any DL are unhappy about how things go and put in for a transfer, I imagine we would be in the game, but it sounds like the staff is going to give the current roster the chance to show their quality first.

I am somewhat surprised Warehime isn't following a TE or two. It's not like Cade is going to scare anyone off and everyone else is pretty much an unknown.

Just now, rickyspub said:

Sounds like we won't consider pursuing a DL until after Spring Practice. If any DL are unhappy about how things go and put in for a transfer, I imagine we would be in the game, but it sounds like the staff is going to give the current roster the chance to show their quality first.

I am somewhat surprised Warehime isn't following a TE or two. It's not like Cade is going to scare anyone off and everyone else is pretty much an unknown.

I think when we needed one two years ago, Kendall Moore was like the second-best GT TE on the market. That's a tough position.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think when we needed one two years ago, Kendall Moore was like the second-best GT TE on the market. That's a tough position.

I think more guys are on the grad transfer wire than ever, but yeah, most teams don't have a quality senior TE looking to move. Probably need a Calvin Anderson situation with a G5 late riser looking to improve his NFL chances. 

IT

PARKER ALFORD

When Scipio Tex waxed poetic on the growing Preferred Walk-On program at Texas, it was a genuine look at UT landing high school prospects that other schools pursued. Except the Horns get them for free. 

For the 6-foot-0, 175-pound pass-catcher from Dripping Springs, the programs that offered/recruited Alford were Louisville, Arizona, Rice, and UTEP, and few Ivy League institutions. But when Texas came calling, the Longhorn legacy didn’t have to think about it too long. 

“Yeah, I wasn’t sure what was going to happen,” said Parker. “But I think I had a feeling all along that I’d end up at Texas.”
For a kid with his measurables, UT flat out stole this prospect. At The Opening Regionals last summer, he posted impressive numbers. 

He ran 4.59 (40, laser), 36.7” (vertical), and an eye-opening 3.95 (shuttle), the top time in the nation for Nike. 

“I’m really excited about (Texas), some good things are going to happen in the next couple years,” Parker explained. “Just every time I visited (UT), it felt like home,” Parker said. “All the coaches knew who I was and talked to me which really impressed me for a program as prestigious as Texas.” 

As a senior, he tallied over 2,000+ all-purpose yards, to go with 20 TDs, and 22.6 yards per catch. 

Now, he’ll join a group of PWOs in Austin that most of could be on scholarship at another school. That’s the essence of building a program at every level. Mensa Tom, y’all. 

I’ll have a separate story later this week on another PWO for 2019, Austin Westlake LB Jake Ehlinger.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, rickyspub said:

I think more guys are on the grad transfer wire than ever, but yeah, most teams don't have a quality senior TE looking to move. Probably need a Calvin Anderson situation with a G5 late riser looking to improve his NFL chances. 

3 hours ago, Sejjr said:

For the first time in many years, we actually have some bodies and potential upside at the TE position. Unknowns, sure, but I really don't see the need to rush out and add a TE in the grad transfer/portal market. 

TE QUESTIONS:

1) Did Brewer get a Red Shirt this year? 

2a) Did Reese Leitao get time on Special Teams? (Because I never recall him playing.)

2b) Leitao was supposedly to be almost immediately ready to play after he committed and then the "incident" happened. Then he red-shirted to show that he could stay out of trouble, but WHERE WAS HE IN 2018?

3) Did we run many/any 2 TE sets last year? If so, who was out 2nd TE?

I think that this is pertinent to the 2019 thread, because it seemed like Andrew Beck was the only TE to have his name called last year and picking up a non-P5 TE grad transfer who feels that he has to show out vs stronger competition might be exactly what we need.

I think that grad transfers coming from smaller schools will be the way to go in the future. 

13 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

...If more people paid attention to history, YouTube wouldn't have to start policing conspiracy vids.

As for history, we've got more documentaries than we know what to do with. You can learn history on the YouTube right here...

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

In Herman’s press conference on the 2019 class he said he thought Beck would be on an nfl roster. That was shocking. I highly doubt that, but it does show he thought Beck played really well. I thought he was ok, not great.

There were a couple of those TE seam routes that he dropped big gains/TDs.  Seemed like his hands regressed as the season went on.  

That being said, I was thrilled that he was able to come back from his 2nd foot fracture and be such a contributor this season.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Beck made a roster. He was pretty damn good as a blocker this year just limited as a receiver. 

Somebody like Swaim has got run in the NFL in a similar role. 

Beck is limited but he can do some good things as a blocker. People forget that he was a LBer coming out of HS and played a limited amount of TE before college. So in a way he's still learning the position. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, nycHorn said:

There were a couple of those TE seam routes that he dropped big gains/TDs.  Seemed like his hands regressed as the season went on.  

That being said, I was thrilled that he was able to come back from his 2nd foot fracture and be such a contributor this season.  

Sam also missed a couple. He had a weird inability to accurately throw routes up the middle to Beck/DevDuv

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

Beck would have had like 5-7 more TDs had Sam on that route not over/under thrown the ball every time. That is the one pass route this past year that for Sam reason it seemed Sam got the yips on like 75-80% of the time. It was open damn near every time. Was really only route I can recall all season that it seemed team truly struggled executing.

(edit as I am an idiot and hadn't read to bottom seeing this point just made by texifornia)

Edited by BrazilHorn
I don't read threads all the way

7 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Beck would have had like 5-7 more TDs had Sam on that route not over/under thrown the ball every time. That is the one pass route this past year that for Sam reason it seemed Sam got the yips on like 75-80% of the time. It was open damn near every time. Was really only route I can recall all season that it seemed team truly struggled executing.

(edit as I am an idiot and hadn't read to bottom seeing this point just made by texifornia)

That route and the deep post to Duvernay. 

The Beck misses really hurt us though. If we hit on some of those TE fades, we easily beat WVU. 

Edited by Katfid54

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

TE QUESTIONS:

1) Did Brewer get a Red Shirt this year? 

2a) Did Reese Leitao get time on Special Teams? (Because I never recall him playing.)

2b) Leitao was supposedly to be almost immediately ready to play after he committed and then the "incident" happened. Then he red-shirted to show that he could stay out of trouble, but WHERE WAS HE IN 2018?

3) Did we run many/any 2 TE sets last year? If so, who was out 2nd TE?

I think that this is pertinent to the 2019 thread, because it seemed like Andrew Beck was the only TE to have his name called last year and picking up a non-P5 TE grad transfer who feels that he has to show out vs stronger competition might be exactly what we need.

I think that grad transfers coming from smaller schools will be the way to go in the future. 

1) I think he did, but I'm not 100%.

2a) I'm not sure.

2b and 3) I think the biggest issue is that Herman is a HUGE fan of Beck. I get some of it - decent hands, good blocker, ran some solid routes, but I certainly don't love his game as much as Herman.

Also, Herman has made it clear that he's absolutely in love with 11 personnel. I don't recall seeing any two TE sets last season, but that doesn't mean they didn't happen. Just that, if we did run them, it wasn't often.

With that in mind, I think Herman was very reluctant to take Beck off the field. He's a coach who had a player he trusted implicitly who was a solid fit in the scheme he wants to run. We've seen it before with some guys who maybe didn't deserve that level of faith (see: Muschamp, Will and Gideon, Blake; Strong, Charlie and Haines, Dylan; Brown, Mack and any number of terrible OLs), so at least Herman put his faith in a guy who could play a little bit. With that in mind, I've read that a number of people behind the scenes are really enamored with Brewer - they just don't trust his blocking yet. I'm optimistic that he'll get there because we know he can catch and run. With Leitao, I thought I remembered that he had kind of the opposite issue - decent blocker with some ball issues? Maybe I'm imagining that though. Hopefully, both of the young TEs turn the corner. Otherwise, Liebrock should be able to handle all that stuff in a year or two, maybe even sooner.

Edited by campcrunk