Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Just now, PNWhornsfan said:

Damn.  Really wanted him.  Is Gbenda on commit watch now?

I don't think their spots were that closely tied together. We also probably need to get Gbenda back on campus, even before accounting for the fact that it's unclear how much we want him.

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

And money, too. But winning helps.

Roquan Smith was a top 10 pick last year. They've had four LBs go in the 1st round in recent drafts. 

Meanwhile our 5 star over-hyped LB fell to the 3rd rd. You don't think GA coaches are showing them these data points?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Roquan Smith was a top 10 pick last year. They've had four LBs go in the 1st round in recent drafts. 

Meanwhile our 5 star over-hyped LB fell to the 3rd rd. You don't think GA coaches are showing them these data points?

We are going to death star them in the national championship game this year. 

• Like 2

Georgia is loading up but it helps that 247 composite lists SEVEN five star recruits in Georgia this year. That’s more than Texas and California combined (3 and 2 respectively).

So it’s a bumper crop year for Georgia HS football and UGA is keeping them home. They getting others too but the backbone of the class is highly rated homegrown kids.

26 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

It's not an either-or proposition.

I mean, in the end it doesn't matter. Georgia's playing the game as well as anyone right now, they're getting the recruits, and they're going to be a damn good team for years to come unless Kirby proves to be Muschamp at Florida 2.0. Call me cynical, but they probably won't get busted unless they go full Ole Miss, either. But it's unnecessarily naive to pretend their recruiting prowess is solely based on Kirby's boundless charisma and one fantastic season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Does suck for Aggy.  If by some miracle they beat Bama and Lsu, in the next few years, and make it the secsec championship game they will get curb stomped by Uga.  Poor Aggy.  

Does aggy pick up GA next year in conference play ?

3 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Yes, and they have to visit Athens. They're also on the road against Clemson and LSU, but I'm sure the great Jimbo can handle it.

aggy joined the SEC in 2012, after 7 years they finally play Georgia. That's just fucking sad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas never had 15 5 stars in the state in one year like Georgia does this year. The love of the SEC footprint in the recruiting rankings is hilarious.

Never in my memory. And it is equally hilarious how 247 drops guys' 5th star because of camp bullshit. 

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

I mean, in the end it doesn't matter. Georgia's playing the game as well as anyone right now, they're getting the recruits, and they're going to be a damn good team for years to come unless Kirby proves to be Muschamp at Florida 2.0. Call me cynical, but they probably won't get busted unless they go full Ole Miss, either. But it's unnecessarily naive to pretend their recruiting prowess is solely based on Kirby's boundless charisma and one fantastic season.

Ole Miss got turned in for four reasons: 

1) They committed the cardinal SEC sin. They cheated like crazy but didn’t win titles.

2) They beat Saban two years in a row. 

3) Burning hatred/butt hurt at Mississippi State. State will cut off their nose to spite their face if it drags Ole Miss down too.

4) Ole Miss isn’t a SEC Blue Blood.

Georgia is winning big. They don’t have Bama on their regular season schedule. And they don’t have a true in state rival. Georgia Tech recruits very different players and plays in another conference. 

Georgia is going to be just fine as long as they keep winning. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 2

(Eric Nahlin) Prospect to Know: Juco DL Soni Fonua

Interesting weekend, eh? A couple new names emerged in the last few days, with one even committing. Texas also gained a commitment from one of the biggest priorities in the class, now it must focus on holding on to him. Javonne Shepherd is already s***tweeting to OU commit Arjei Henderson so that's probably a good sign of how firm he is. With all that's going on and a full Scoop tomorrow morning I didn't want the name Soni Fonua to fall through the cracks. Fonua is originally from East high school in Salt Lake City. That will sound familiar to many of you as its the same school 2018 offensive line signee Junior Angilau attended.  Fonua was a non-qualifier who found his way to Mesa Community College in Arizona where he had a very good freshmen year. He'll graduate with his AA this December.

His high school highlights are pretty good: pissed off Tongan turns and burns the corner on defense and hilariously throws vicious crack blocks on offense.  Encouragingly, his junior college highlights are even better: Still pissed off, aligns up and down the line, gets off the ball quickly, attacks through half a man (there are some bad OL in Juco) with force, gets flat quickly, and even has a touch of drop versatility. Coach V. would note his shock-power as he drops an overweight o-lineman on his ass. He says he's 6-foot-4, 265 pounds. Texas has recently been in touch and he's going to get a good evaluation from the staff. 

From the Juco ranks, Texas has offered Jacoby Jones and Jermaine Johnson. Jones just visited OU and they offered. I still believe Johnson is leaning towards [trigger warning] Georgia, who we're doing a great job of covering this cycle. SMH, FML, etc. The staff also likes Johnson's teammate, Kuony Deng, but he has yet to receive an offer though one is probably on its way come September/October.

The Longhorn d-line is guaranteed to lose a lot of production after this season and relying on unproven yet talented players doesn't sound like something that's in the cards. Currently Fonua's only offers are from FAU and Louisville. Nebraska is in his ear quite a bit and my impulse is if Scott Frost likes someone I do too.  If offered there's a good chance Fonua and Angilau could again be teammates. Fonua wants to play in the Big 12 or SEC but first he has to earn those scholarships.

13 hours ago, PNWhornsfan said:

Tillman makes a lot more sense now.

Tillman had nothing to do with Davis or Tongue. If this becomes a thing on this board, it’s going to get ugly. 

12 hours ago, Machinator said:

I don't think their spots were that closely tied together. We also probably need to get Gbenda back on campus, even before accounting for the fact that it's unclear how much we want him.

Just to be clear, and so this nonsense about how bad Texas wants him can end, Texas would take Gbenda in a heartbeat. He’s a player. He also doesn’t really give a fuck about recruiting. Whoever gets him will have to be patient and play a different kind of asskissing than other recruitments to land him. 

Texas wants a big, strong LB class this year. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Tillman had nothing to do with Davis or Tongue. If this becomes a thing on this board, it’s going to get ugly. 

Just to be clear, and so this nonsense about how bad Texas wants him can end, Texas would take Gbenda in a heartbeat. He’s a player. He also doesn’t really give a fuck about recruiting. Whoever gets him will have to be patient and play a different kind of asskissing than other recruitments to land him. 

Texas wants a big, strong LB class this year. 

What have you heard on this new JUCO name?  Angilau's former teammate.  Looks like some real good film to me.