Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

39 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Well our defense is the best in the big twelve so whatever we are doing is working.  Who cares if we don't get 5 star DL if our defense is sound.  I remember when we didn't get Daylon Mack and how much that was going to hurt us for years to come.  

Our defense was the best in the big 12 without 5 star Caden Sterns. We should have let him sign with LSU.

• Like 3

If changing the scheme helps us get more talent, it is worth considering. If changing scheme makes our defense worse in the process (because of current personnel limitations, Orlando's particular abilities running what he does, or whatever), the payoff may not be worth the change. Ceteris paribus, I'd rather have 5 stars than 3. Going away , though, from what demonstrably has helped us win games (current D, soup to nuts) is hard to support in the hope that it will have an intermediary effect ultimately leading to the secondary effect (granted, hopefully in greater measure) the current D already gives us.

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

We knew Jimbo was going to pull some good players this cycle. Leal seems like the rare top prospect that clicked with College Station over Austin. It sucks, but we have done fine at DE this cycle, just need two more DL to close things out. I am not praising Giles or giving him a pass by any means, but we are not in dire straights. 

Leal is going to be a DT/NT. he is already 280+ lbs

3 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

"Doing fine" at recruiting DE is what we've been doing for the past several years.  And now we find ourselves with Omenihu and Hager, who can't get a pass rush to save their lives.  Graham has been ok, no idea on Bimage.  Fitzgerald was a bust.  Roach is out for the year and we weren't even using him properly.

We need to do better than "fine" if we're going to compete for the Big XII, much less nationally.

DEs in Orlandos defense are not supposed to be playmakers, especially the DE on the boundary side with the B- backer. The boundary DE is more of a DT or 3-4 DE. The field side is more of a 4-3 type DE. But regardless, the DEs and NT do all the dirty work while the B backer, Rover and Mac overload the o-line with blitzes. 

• Like 1

You always want as much talent as you can land at any given position. 

But the Ed Oliver discussion is interesting. When you hear folks discuss Ed Oliver the one knock on Oliver is "pressure percentage". There's a lot of people that view Jefferey Simmons as a better interior DL prospect because he's a better pass rusher/has a much higher "pressure percentage". 

I think there is some truth in the idea a 3-4 isn't nearly as attractive as a 4-3 for this very reason. I would like to see what Oliver's "pressure percentage" looked like in a 4-3 vs a 3-4. Not saying I prefer either system but I think there's truth to the idea that a 4-3 definitely produces more highlight type plays/stats. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

Well our defense is the best in the big twelve so whatever we are doing is working.  Who cares if we don't get 5 star DL if our defense is sound.  I remember when we didn't get Daylon Mack and how much that was going to hurt us for years to come.  

I do.  I care.  

I know what you mean but we need to find the absolute best players we can find. Otherwise we limit our ceiling. 

Not only that, but next to having a great QB, having a dominant oline overcomes alot of issues.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Did Texas send him that?  “TD’s” is unacceptable. 

https://afterdeadline.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/13/faqs-on-style/

A number of readers have complained after seeing plural abbreviations like M.D.’s and M.R.I.’s in The Times. They say the apostrophe is wrong — that it indicates a possessive and should not be used in a plural like this.

In fact, style rules at The Times (and some other publications, including the Chicago Manual of Style) do call for using an apostrophe in the plural of abbreviations that include periods.

(Obviously TDs doesn't have periods, but they're close to something stylistically correct)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Stupid take. Elite DL can elevate any defense to the next level. Some of y'all are being made uncomfortable in your mental safe space when told that we are losing elite d linemen to rivals. Show me an elite championship level team with majority 3*s DL. 

Let me clarify...Elite DL is important but I'm saying just because they are rated 5 star coming out the of High School doesn't mean they will pan out.  Obviously we don't know what we may be missing out on until we see how they develop.  Re Poona.  

Edited by stork642

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Apparently they like a few of them for it, but they're all green. I'd like to see them let Ossai get loose at some point this year for a quarter and just get a feel for whether or not I think there's any reality to the offline talking points.

You should text coach Herman. I'm sure he will get right on that.  Really though it is probably best not to play him. We usually (Stearns exception) rag on freshmen for their play and on coaches for not redshirting guys.

Let me clarify...Elite DL is important but I'm saying just because they are rated 5 star coming out the of High School doesn't mean they will pan out.  Obviously we don't know what we may be missing out on until we see how they develop.  Re Poona.  
Poona was a 4*. We are not even managing that currently.

25 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Cool. You could apply that to any position in recruiting. We all know that being highly rated is not a guarantee of success. We also know that higher-rated players tend to be better in the aggregate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:
23 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Poona was a 4*. 

I don't know what's up with that Poona narrative. It's like 1 person said Poona was a super developed 3* and a bunch of people just went with it. The dude was a composite 4 star and the 256th ranked player in his class.  He lived up to his ranking. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:
27 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Poona was a 4*. We are not even managing that currently.

He was a 3-star on Rivals, but we are splitting hairs now.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2014/poona-ford-24593

Edited by Sejjr

1 minute ago, RabidM said:

I don't know what's up with that Poona narrative. It's like 1 person said Poona was a super developed 3* and a bunch of people just went with it. The dude was a composite 4 star and the 256th ranked player in his class.  He lived up to his ranking. 

I think it was the undersized thing. He had top 100 ability but was overlooked because of his height, and yet still managed a 4* rating.

48 minutes ago, Bevo said:

You should text coach Herman. I'm sure he will get right on that.  Really though it is probably best not to play him. We usually (Stearns exception) rag on freshmen for their play and on coaches for not redshirting guys.

This is a cunty response without a purpose. Every opinion on this board could be countered with "your not a corchez!?!", which is the equivalent of what you wrote. That is a given and board clutter when posted. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RabidM said:

37 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think it was the undersized thing. He had top 100 ability but was overlooked because of his height, and yet still managed a 4* rating.

Since it is directly germane to my wingspan point on Gbenda, the single biggest thing besides heart* for Poona Ford was the fucking 80-inch wingspan on his 5'10" frame. That equalized a lot of the reasons to fear playing/recruiting a short DT. It's also serving him well in the pros. He can keep OLs off of him and he can obstruct passes as well as the average 6'3" DL. 

*I believe in intangibles mattering, even if they're difficult to quantify. I do think Ford exemplifies heart on the field, but that's basically impossible to translate to the next level for 99.9% of every player ever scouted, I think.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Reminds me of something my grandpappy used to say "you can coach speed and size, but you can't coach heart"

He also called the guy who mowed the lawn the n-word, so maybe we shouldn't listen to everything my grandpappy says. 

Grandpappy sounds like more of a fucking lunatic than you. Even in Absurdistan where you reside, that quote is a thing of paradoxical beauty.

25 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Apostrophes should never be used to form a plural noun. NEVER.

There was a local dog grooming business named “Bubble’s, Bow’s & Toe’s.” Besides the name being stupid I pointed out to them that all the apostrophes were uneccesary. They just gave me that look. 

Also the groomer was in Southeast Texas.  

paulharvey.gif 

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

You always want as much talent as you can land at any given position. 

But the Ed Oliver discussion is interesting. When you hear folks discuss Ed Oliver the one knock on Oliver is "pressure percentage". There's a lot of people that view Jefferey Simmons as a better interior DL prospect because he's a better pass rusher/has a much higher "pressure percentage". 

I think there is some truth in the idea a 3-4 isn't nearly as attractive as a 4-3 for this very reason. I would like to see what Oliver's "pressure percentage" looked like in a 4-3 vs a 3-4. Not saying I prefer either system but I think there's truth to the idea that a 4-3 definitely produces more highlight type plays/stats. 

Who are these people who think Simmons is better than Oliver? I hope it's someone who works for the Iggles/Giants/Redskins, because that is dumb as shit.

55 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Yeah, the revisionist history here is super annoying. ESPN aired his commitment live, he wasn't some scrub.

55 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Rivals fucking sucks.

8 hours ago, golfclap said:

One of these 4 things is not like the other. NaNa, with his size and athleticism should look like a fucking cheat code against his current competition. Most of the OT he is facing wouldn't even make the varsity at the average 4A-6A Texas High school - much less start. He should be living in the other team's backfield as well as returning kicks and punts for TDs. He has such a low fucking floor and his lack of effort and drive certainly don't sell me on him doing all the things to improve at the next level, or even give anything on ST. He's a one trick pony which is why he struggles against technicians in camp because if he can't simply dip his shoulder and run around them, he's fucking cooked. 

watch his highlights here once the pads are on and note the only guy he beats in Kenyon Green because Green is a fucking OG with terrible balance who plays out over his fucking feet. Everyone else at this level just redirects him once and it's over. 

https://dai.ly/x6ntsq6    

I'll NEVER understand the Mowry's of the world but there's at least 2 or 3 in every class. 

I think there will be at least 1 more take on the DL and I would imagine it will be a late rising jumbo athlete (a la Christian Jones/Michael Williams). 

Nana has past injury concerns, Mowry might be a headcase, and Stripling takes a lot of plays off and has a flash play every once in awhile 

E.J. Holland: Elite DB Lewis Cine talks finalists ahead of decision

Lewis Cine is officially an Under Armour All-American. The four-star defensive back out of Trinity Christian Cedar Hill received his game jersey at a presentation at his high school on Wednesday afternoon. “It’s an amazing feeling,” Cine said. “I’m really grateful and thankful for Under Armour selecting me. I’m going to represent them and myself well. I’m ready to show the whole country what I got and how I can compete with the best.”

One of the most sought after prospects in the country, Cine holds close to 40 total offers. However, only five schools still remain in the mix for his services — Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Penn State and Texas. Cine has made visits to Georgia and Texas over the last couple of weeks and will use his final official visit on Florida this weekend. Cine will then make his commitment on the evening of Oct. 10.

“I’m looking for the best fit education wise and football wise,” Cine said. “I want to go somewhere that I can really thrive. Schools are coming at me hard, but I think I’m going to make the best decision.” Cine broke down his five finalists exclusively with 247Sports following his UA jersey presentation.

Florida

“I like that they are DBU. They have a great coaching staff. I’m trying to get to know them personally. I will be down there this weekend.”

Georgia

“They have a great coaching staff — just great people. It’s the SEC. There is nothing more you can say about that. It’s big-time football every week.”

Michigan

“I love their scheme. I love Don Brown. I love what Michigan can do for me long-term not just football wise.”

Penn State

“They offer a great education and great football. They have a great staff. Penn State is going far.”

Texas

“Texas has big-time football. They have a great coaching staff. I would say they know how to develop defensive backs.”

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The Tyler Owens time in the hundred that's been getting a lot of run was not electronically timed or it was wind-aided, can't remember which. 

From a track poster on a pay site

"The 10.34 was hand timed, but the time is after the standard translation (round up to nearest 0.10 and then add 0.24). The actual hand time was 10.01. It was an early meet with fast thumbs, but still."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

"The 10.34 was hand timed, but the time is after the standard translation (round up to nearest 0.10 and then add 0.24). The actual hand time was 10.01. It was an early meet with fast thumbs, but still."

He also beat Ty Jordan, who's known as a 4.3s guy, at texas' Friday night lights or whatever it's called for fastest man 

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

Nana has past injury concerns, Mowry might be a headcase, and Stripling takes a lot of plays off and has a flash play every once in awhile 

Doesn't seem to be a real elite pass rusher in-state this year.  Hell, after Sweat's 4 sack performance he may be the leader in sacks out of all of them.

2020 has Dorbah and Sylvester and 2021 has that kid from Pleasant Grove who's already visited for 2 games this year.

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Elite DB Lewis Cine talks finalists ahead of decision

Hide contents

Florida

“I like that they are DBU. They have a great coaching staff. I’m trying to get to know them personally. I will be down there this weekend.”

Texas

“Texas has big-time football. They have a great coaching staff. I would say they know how to develop defensive backs.”

Wait, so Florida is "DBU" and Texas has a "great coaching staff?" Fuck Lewis Cine. He can fuck off to Georgia for all I care. I prefer safeties that aren't morons.***

***I'm mostly kidding - I do think Cine is a good prospect and would take him at Texas in a heartbeat even if I do think Catalon is better. However, that quote about Florida, in the same conversation about Texas (or any conversion about who "DBU" is) is seriously dumb.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm not intimating that he's slow, just that he's not going to run track at Texas the way some think he could. We'll see. I can't say I feel much ownership in the position. I'm passing it on and I don't give a shit if he can outrun Chris Whaley at a track meet, just that he's a badass on the Texas defense.