Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Your argument is that a guy, who hasn’t played for us this year, is considerably worse than a guy who isn’t consistently cracking the lineup for OU’s vaunting defense?

Dele is reportedly very similar in athletic ability to Wheeler. White has played in every game for OU this year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

For every positive step our offense has taken the defense has taken 2 backwards. It’s crazy to think we’d have 1000 yards of offense and about 70 plus points in 2 weeks and both are losses.  Then turning on the bama LSU game and seeing the difference in tackling and D lines. It was like watching high school earlier in the day and nfl right after.  We have no push. No pressure. No anything. Which exposes our 3 18,year old kids and shit linebackers in secondary   Grier had 6-10 seconds all day to just pick and choose. Or some 150lb dude named pettway to gash us for 10/ypc. D line is just abmysmall 

Do we have reason to be optimistic about next year's line?

30 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Dele is reportedly very similar in athletic ability to Wheeler. White has played in every game for OU this year.

I can see this-both large inside linebackers not on the fast side. I imagine wheeler gets the spot due to experience and knowing the defense/being a captain but then you see how he plays and you wonder how a frosh could be worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

By the way, I doubt Dele will completely solve our MLB problems. I have doubts about his ability to be a 3-down linebacker in the Big 12, though if his instincts are even average, he'll be an improvement over Wheeler.

The solution is more likely to come from Floyd being ready Day 1, or a JUCO / grad transfer.

If we insist on running a 3-2-6, the lbs shouldn’t have coverage responsibilities very often. They should be hammers. 

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

OU's defense is even worse than ours, big whoop. Put White in our scheme right now and we'd look the same.

Maybe we end up regretting not taking White later, but it doesn't matter right now.

Edited by Lonestar88

37 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Our starting linebackers next year will be Shark - Floyd - Ossai and I think, as a whole, will be an upgrade. Depth is obviously a problem though. Next three are what... Overshown - Dele - Gbenda/GT?

Shark really struggled at Mac. Hopefully he improves very quickly.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

By the way, I doubt Dele will completely solve our MLB problems. I have doubts about his ability to be a 3-down linebacker in the Big 12, though if his instincts are even average, he'll be an improvement over Wheeler.

The solution is more likely to come from Floyd being ready Day 1, or a JUCO / grad transfer.

While I can see why you’d have hesitations, how many of the big passing plays were targeting Wheeler? This defense doesn’t given him that much coverage responsibility. On the flip side, he’s crucial to our run defense due to the way the DL’s are taught to occupy gaps. 

13 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

While I can see why you’d have hesitations, how many of the big passing plays were targeting Wheeler? This defense doesn’t given him that much coverage responsibility. On the flip side, he’s crucial to our run defense due to the way the DL’s are taught to occupy gaps. 

They were picking on him in coverage when Orlando shifted to nickel. They'd motion the slot his way and he'd be forced to pick him up.

5 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Blame Orlando or Herman or whoever you want for not realizing Wheeler was the same guy that we benched last year for not being good enough and not bringing in anyone capable (JUCO/grad transfer/etc) to compete for the job. We’ve slow played guys we should have jumped on (Kenneth Murray, DeShaun White) and we have zero depth. Trading White for Ayodele with OU is looking pretty terrible right now.

I have no idea how this is relevant to what I said.

6 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Blame Orlando or Herman or whoever you want for not realizing Wheeler was the same guy that we benched last year for not being good enough and not bringing in anyone capable (JUCO/grad transfer/etc) to compete for the job. We’ve slow played guys we should have jumped on (Kenneth Murray, DeShaun White) and we have zero depth. Trading White for Ayodele with OU is looking pretty terrible right now.

I'd blame Strong more. The fact we don't have a decent junior ILB is on him. Slow playing White backfired but if we got the linebackers we expected we'd be hailing him as a genius. We do have an upward climb because of that decision though.

3 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Our starting linebackers next year will be Shark - Floyd - Ossai and I think, as a whole, will be an upgrade. Depth is obviously a problem though. Next three are what... Overshown - Dele - Gbenda/GT?

Shark hasn't been anything special, Floyd will be a freshman, don't know about Ossai. Losing Gary Johnson automatically means our linebackers will take a hit next year.

Roach, Ossai, Bimage, Graham on the ends next year would be solid. Overshown is going to be a player, he could solve some of our problems at LB with some size, but Floyd, Gbenda, Curtis Johnson and Bru McCoy if we could pull that off would be the foundation for the future.

The front 5-6 next year is going to be a shit show without major improvement across the board. I'm afraid that McCulloch is showing way too much Wheeler like film to get too excited about him being a full time player next year.

I understand why the seniors aren't getting benched, coaches just aren't going to do that every often. My hope is that moving forward the evaluations are much better so that guys like Wheeler, Vahe, Locke, McCulloch, Rodriguez, and Shackelford aren't recruited to Texas. Hopefully as Texas churns through Herman classes the seniors are actually at the very least league average enough not to be gaping holes that much of the senior class is on this team right now.

Let me throw this in here from secrant's perspective on Saban's recruiting:

re: What makes Saban so much better at player development than all other coaches?Posted on 11/4/18 at 3:36 pm to Drewbie
bkm1.png
quote:
If you want to see the field at Bama, you have to eventually play at a 5 star level or your arse is on the bench. The 3 stars that sign on for Bama know this and are surrounded by competition that will push them. If they don't have the heart, they get processed.

Exactly. A five star at another school thinks he’s the crap. A five star at bama is just another guy and is having to beat out 3 more guys that were ranked just as high.

oach Saban apparently has a unique and semi-proprietary method of evaluating recruits. This was mentioned when he alluded to coaches leaving his employ to coach elsewhere, and taking his system of evaluation with them. 

If you had a way of testing a recruit to see the level of his physical and or mental maturity, you could do a lot of things with lesser ranked recruits. But beyond that, read Clinton-Dix's comments on "the process." It is enlightening. 

In the series of videos prior to the season that showed the Bama practices, I was amazed at how organized and intense the Bama practices were. Saban was on top of every detail and made the players and coaches get it right. 

Of course, having top talent is key, but getting everybody on the same page and executing things in a manner that gives you the best chance of success is what sets Saban apart from most coaches.

-I'm actually a good person to answer this. I used to be in the strength and conditioning field and was involved in the program during the late Shula early Saban era. Also am familiar with a bunch of programs good and bad at different levels(having worked at several before doing something else with my life). 

The answer is simple. Saban runs a program like a good company runs its business. I'm sure some have read the book "The E-Myth" which talks about running even small businesses like a turn-key big company. This is how Saban runs Alabama. It is a never failing, always consistent, turn-key operation. Ive never seen any other school run anything similar on a consistent basis. 

The first year at Bama, Saban went to Tommy Moffitt(whom LSU fans stupidly want to run off) and asked him to come be the strength coach at Bama. He refused but sent Cochran, his assistant, instead. Saban wanted to change the culture immediately and permanently so he instructed Cochran to read the program's creed loudly before every single workout in the weight room(which he did every damn time). 

He has a plan and procedure for everything. At other programs countless amounts of time and effort are wasted contemplating decisions and actions that are always pre-made at Alabama. While you and your coaches are debating x and y, having meetings other this and that, Alabama coaches are miles ahead. While your players are waiting on your coaches to figure things out, Bama's players have received hours and hours of more, well organized instruction. While your program is wasting precious amounts of limited time on "changing the culture" Bama never missed a beat and is miles ahead with better athletes and coaches. There is a manual and a procedure for operation and it is followed. 

Saban has been at Alabama for over a decade while other teams have run through failed coach after failed coach, having to restart the some old process of "changing culture" year after year and having the same problems of being miles behind. I havent seen anything behind the curtains at UGA but I can only assume Kirby has been the only one able to check his ego enough to fully devote his program to the process enough to get it running at an Alabama level. He was there long enough, and cant deny it works better than anything he can personally come up with. 

Ego does more coaches in than anything else and Saban is better at checking his ego than any other coach out there. You may say "bu bu but...I've seen him do this and that argue with coaches..etc etc." Saban had a successful formula of a monstrous front 7 3-4 defense and power rushing attack with game manager QBs. It worked and was working well...yet he scrapped it and adapted as the game did. How many other less successful coaches have rode their ships straight into the ground because they refused to admit their brilliant formula which was once successful couldn't cut it anymore? (looking at you LSU and Auburn) In many ways, Saban is similar to Bear Bryant who also scrapped a system that had won him multiple championships to install the Wishbone in 1971. 

So many coaches are so competitive and have such high egos that they cant accept that its the players that must win them games, not their brilliant coaching ability. This is why you see so many "athletes" at QB who have to look over at the sideline to get every single read for them because their coach cant stop trying to play his team like a video game. The best coaches realize they have to coach like hell until game time...and then let go and let the players do their thing. 

Tons of you are gonna say I'm full of shite...I'm not. Studying coaching methods and programs was an obsession of mine for a long time and I saw a lot of programs up close and personal. I was most able to really appreciate what Saban did at Alabama when I started my own business... 

Hope this helps some of you understand.

-Gus Malzahn's greatest nemesis may be his intellect. I truly believe hes is very smart, maybe the smartest in the SEC. He did some incredible things by going back and adapting some of the early football offenses(which were probably more advanced than today's offenses) to the modern game and dominating with it. He single handedly caused Saban to divert the direction of the Alabama program. 

I haven't seen much behind the curtains at Auburn, so you Auburn fans know much more than I do but if I had to guess, he is just being too stubborn with personnel and the offense. When the pieces fall together, they can be all but unstoppable but when they aren't all there, he apparently is just not gonna adapt. Its my only guess for the roller coaster ride you see at Auburn every few seasons.

-Alabama's player evaluation models, strength program, player development/practice manuals are sitting in almost every football program in the country.

-He demands perfection from his coaches more than his players. He holds everyone accountable for what happens in games and practices.

-% of 5  stars drafted in first round ..Bama 48.3% ...Rest of college football 17%.

-A few years back, I read an article about these manuals that Saban wrote that are position-specific and body type-specific, and are pretty thick. It lays out a diet and exercise regimen, sleep regimen, etc. There was a daily thought or quote included that the player was encouraged to reflect on. Each player got a manual and were expected to live it. 

I'm guess our head coach is familiar and fully aware of Saban's techniques, since he's apparently doing something right.

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/what-makes-saban-so-much-better-at-player-development-than-all-other-coaches/79961067/

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Shark has barely played and is a B bbacker all the way. Asking him to all of a sudden start playing inside (don't give a shit what anyone says about cross training) and expect him to thrive is asinine. 

He has played plenty at B-backer and has accumulated 15 tackles, 3 for loss, and no sacks. He's a junior with 47 career tackles, 6.5 for loss and 2.5 sacks. It's about time to put him in the bust category.

9 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

No chance at being a Gaskamp candidate?

Sure there is always that hope, I wouldn't count on it. I'd feel better with him being a situational pass rushing DE, but that would mean the coaching staff takes a hard look at the personnel after the season and makes a switch from a odd front to en even one.

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Let me throw this in here from secrant's perspective on Saban's recruiting:

re: What makes Saban so much better at player development than all other coaches?Posted on 11/4/18 at 3:36 pm to Drewbie
bkm1.png
quote:
If you want to see the field at Bama, you have to eventually play at a 5 star level or your arse is on the bench. The 3 stars that sign on for Bama know this and are surrounded by competition that will push them. If they don't have the heart, they get processed.

Exactly. A five star at another school thinks he’s the crap. A five star at bama is just another guy and is having to beat out 3 more guys that were ranked just as high.

oach Saban apparently has a unique and semi-proprietary method of evaluating recruits. This was mentioned when he alluded to coaches leaving his employ to coach elsewhere, and taking his system of evaluation with them. 

If you had a way of testing a recruit to see the level of his physical and or mental maturity, you could do a lot of things with lesser ranked recruits. But beyond that, read Clinton-Dix's comments on "the process." It is enlightening. 

In the series of videos prior to the season that showed the Bama practices, I was amazed at how organized and intense the Bama practices were. Saban was on top of every detail and made the players and coaches get it right. 

Of course, having top talent is key, but getting everybody on the same page and executing things in a manner that gives you the best chance of success is what sets Saban apart from most coaches.

-I'm actually a good person to answer this. I used to be in the strength and conditioning field and was involved in the program during the late Shula early Saban era. Also am familiar with a bunch of programs good and bad at different levels(having worked at several before doing something else with my life). 

The answer is simple. Saban runs a program like a good company runs its business. I'm sure some have read the book "The E-Myth" which talks about running even small businesses like a turn-key big company. This is how Saban runs Alabama. It is a never failing, always consistent, turn-key operation. Ive never seen any other school run anything similar on a consistent basis. 

The first year at Bama, Saban went to Tommy Moffitt(whom LSU fans stupidly want to run off) and asked him to come be the strength coach at Bama. He refused but sent Cochran, his assistant, instead. Saban wanted to change the culture immediately and permanently so he instructed Cochran to read the program's creed loudly before every single workout in the weight room(which he did every damn time). 

He has a plan and procedure for everything. At other programs countless amounts of time and effort are wasted contemplating decisions and actions that are always pre-made at Alabama. While you and your coaches are debating x and y, having meetings other this and that, Alabama coaches are miles ahead. While your players are waiting on your coaches to figure things out, Bama's players have received hours and hours of more, well organized instruction. While your program is wasting precious amounts of limited time on "changing the culture" Bama never missed a beat and is miles ahead with better athletes and coaches. There is a manual and a procedure for operation and it is followed. 

Saban has been at Alabama for over a decade while other teams have run through failed coach after failed coach, having to restart the some old process of "changing culture" year after year and having the same problems of being miles behind. I havent seen anything behind the curtains at UGA but I can only assume Kirby has been the only one able to check his ego enough to fully devote his program to the process enough to get it running at an Alabama level. He was there long enough, and cant deny it works better than anything he can personally come up with. 

Ego does more coaches in than anything else and Saban is better at checking his ego than any other coach out there. You may say "bu bu but...I've seen him do this and that argue with coaches..etc etc." Saban had a successful formula of a monstrous front 7 3-4 defense and power rushing attack with game manager QBs. It worked and was working well...yet he scrapped it and adapted as the game did. How many other less successful coaches have rode their ships straight into the ground because they refused to admit their brilliant formula which was once successful couldn't cut it anymore? (looking at you LSU and Auburn) In many ways, Saban is similar to Bear Bryant who also scrapped a system that had won him multiple championships to install the Wishbone in 1971. 

So many coaches are so competitive and have such high egos that they cant accept that its the players that must win them games, not their brilliant coaching ability. This is why you see so many "athletes" at QB who have to look over at the sideline to get every single read for them because their coach cant stop trying to play his team like a video game. The best coaches realize they have to coach like hell until game time...and then let go and let the players do their thing. 

Tons of you are gonna say I'm full of shite...I'm not. Studying coaching methods and programs was an obsession of mine for a long time and I saw a lot of programs up close and personal. I was most able to really appreciate what Saban did at Alabama when I started my own business... 

Hope this helps some of you understand.

-Gus Malzahn's greatest nemesis may be his intellect. I truly believe hes is very smart, maybe the smartest in the SEC. He did some incredible things by going back and adapting some of the early football offenses(which were probably more advanced than today's offenses) to the modern game and dominating with it. He single handedly caused Saban to divert the direction of the Alabama program. 

I haven't seen much behind the curtains at Auburn, so you Auburn fans know much more than I do but if I had to guess, he is just being too stubborn with personnel and the offense. When the pieces fall together, they can be all but unstoppable but when they aren't all there, he apparently is just not gonna adapt. Its my only guess for the roller coaster ride you see at Auburn every few seasons.

-Alabama's player evaluation models, strength program, player development/practice manuals are sitting in almost every football program in the country.

-He demands perfection from his coaches more than his players. He holds everyone accountable for what happens in games and practices.

-% of 5  stars drafted in first round ..Bama 48.3% ...Rest of college football 17%.

-A few years back, I read an article about these manuals that Saban wrote that are position-specific and body type-specific, and are pretty thick. It lays out a diet and exercise regimen, sleep regimen, etc. There was a daily thought or quote included that the player was encouraged to reflect on. Each player got a manual and were expected to live it. 

I'm guess our head coach is familiar and fully aware of Saban's techniques, since he's apparently doing something right.

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/what-makes-saban-so-much-better-at-player-development-than-all-other-coaches/79961067/

Not sure how to send private messages on here, but you and I probably know some of the same people. We should grab a beer if we’re ever in the same town. 

10 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Roach, Ossai, Bimage, Graham on the ends next year would be solid. Overshown is going to be a player, he could solve some of our problems at LB with some size, but Floyd, Gbenda, Curtis Johnson and Bru McCoy if we could pull that off would be the foundation for the future.

They weren't the answer on Saturday. Graham was running the wrong way on the two point conversion. Maybe he had a passing lane but he totally turned his back on the play and let the QB run in untouched.

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

He has played plenty at B-backer and has accumulated 15 tackles, 3 for loss, and no sacks. He's a junior with 47 career tackles, 6.5 for loss and 2.5 sacks. It's about time to put him in the bust category.

I bet you those tackles are mostly from special teams. '16 we saw him play maybe once on defense as a true freshman. Don't remember him really playing that much last season with his injury and this season has been more of the same. I mean, we're only a year removed from Naashon fucking Hughes. The lightning package removes him from the field, unless like Saturday, he's playing in the middle where he looks about as useful as Wheeler. Think it's a little harsh to say he's a bust at this point. 

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

We just had one of the biggest recruiting weekends of the year and this place has gone pretty much fetal position. 

Yup, and the recruiting analysts said it went great too. People just need a place to vent, I guess.

Hopefully we can take advantage of Bowman's lung re-collapsing, do our jobs against KU and ISU (at home, otherwise that would be terrifying), and get Big Game Herman in the Alamo Bowl.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/11/open-post-monday-november-5th/

Weekend Visitors | Quick-Updates
– Super K

***Sounds like things were going well with 2019 RB, Noah Cain. Sources say it’s going to be hard for Noah to say no to someone like Stan Drayton. Apparently, Drayton is somewhat of an uncle/father type figure to Noah.

Source also said, “Noah is at home in Austin. A lot of familiar faces”.

If LSU lands Emery, it makes Texas’ chances that much stronger.

***On Elijah Higgins source said, “Kid is going to Stanford”. Unless of course, that falls through. If it falls through then Texas but he’s likely to get in.

***In case you missed it, high upside 2019 OT, Isaiah Hookfin picked up an offer this past weekend. Am told the staff wanted to get a look at him in person. When I saw him, I estimated he was between 6’4 and 6’5. Staff saw the same. Also, he has a big wingspan. So he has tackle size and length.

• Like 1