Texas recruiting notes 2019

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

dominant. 

this one bothers me.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It bothers me as well. There are times where I actually start questioning my view on a poster if I typically like their stuff and then see that. When I used to post as an absurd hillbilly on Hornfans under the handle "dibollhorn" in order to mock a couple of clowns like bullardhorn and huckleberry on that board, I'd interchange "dominanting" and "dominate" in exactly the wrong spots in posts and pathetically found great entertainment in it. Lose/loose misuse bothers me almost as much, for whatever reason.

Grammar talk not going away...

I'm surprised "could care less" didn't make either list. Drives me crazy.

4 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Grammar talk not going away...

I'm surprised "could care less" didn't make either list. Drives me crazy.

to me, there's a different classification of people misusing/misquoting phrases and sayings and idioms.  casting dispersions, for all intensive purposes, and so on.

the shit that bothers me is more of the basic spelling, grammar, and word confusion.

• Like 2

DJ Williams' senior HUDL is something else. You can tell he's a monster from the very first play. I realize that grades were at issue - is that really considered by the $9.95 crew? I remember people saying that that the only thing between Dez Bryant and a fifth star was semi-literacy. I can't think of another explanation for why this kid isn't a high four star. Aside from truly monumental incompetency, which I guess is to be expected of organizations that put people like EJ and Ketch in charge of stuff.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/7627876/5b8fdf2d6e81cc0870e36acd

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

to me, there's a different classification of people misusing/misquoting phrases and sayings and idioms.  casting dispersions, for all intensive purposes, and so on.

the shit that bothers me is more of the basic spelling, grammar, and word confusion.

You assholes are making my skin crawl. My mom was an English professor. 

• Like 1

EJ after dark: A dive into cornerback recruiting

— I checked in with four-star Spring Dekaney cornerback Marcus Banks, and he is keeping in touch with Texas assistant Jason Washington. Banks enjoyed his recent visit to Texas, but he told me he likely wouldn’t make a return trip to Austin before announcing his decision in January. Right now, schools like Alabama and Texas A&M are in a better position in his recruitment.

— While Texas is keeping tabs on Banks, that shouldn’t have any affect on the status of four-star Grayson (GA) cornerback commit Kenyatta Watson II. Texas has done a great job of addressing concerns from the Watson family, and he is slated to sign with the Longhorns on Dec. 19.

— Everything is pretty status quo when it comes to three-star Alvin cornerback commit Marques Caldwell. The biggest concern with him is his labrum injury. However, Caldwell will have the luxury of time to properly rehab before getting on the field. Caldwell is an upside prospect that will need at least a year to get healthy and develop.

— From what I have been able to gather, there just isn’t much there with four-star Benjamin School (Fla.) cornerback Kaiir Elam as right now, it appears to be a Florida-Georgia battle. However, Elam is looking to make some official visits soon, and it wouldn’t be surprising if Texas receives one.

SIAP

Eric Nahlin: "Texas is missing on the state's top 25!!!" But with context

In most years, Texas having only two commitments from the state's top-25 at this point in the cycle would be cause for great concern. This is not most years. We know the drill: the state is down, both from an athletic and mental evaluation standpoint, the state is ultra-competitive for the few players UT deems championship caliber, and Herman thought it the perfect time to establish an out-of-state footprint.

No matter how many times I provide this context, I still hear how Texas is getting washed in instate recruiting. That is fine for low-info fans on Twitter and Facebook groups but not members of this board. Let's take a look at the relevant names, guys you could credibly call "misses." If a name is being left off of the list, you can assume what we've written, Texas wasn't fond of that player for one reason or another. It doesn't mean that player isn't good, or whatever, it just means UT had an issue with some aspect about them.

1. OL Kenyon Green, Atascocita - A&M (composite: .9934): In keeping with the theme of the day, where a very vocal minority can get its way if it simply cries loud enough, A&M internet users bullied 247 into making sure Green stayed listed as a tackle rather than guard. Green profiles to guard but given A&M's need he could certainly play tackle. He'll be a guard in the NFL, which 247 claims to use as a barometer, at least until @ClemFromHearne rallied the troops. I've been calling him an upside guard for well over a year.

Like-for-like: Since five offensive lineman play at a time you don't want to play the justification game; there's plenty of room for all of the really good ones. But Texas landing Tyler Johnson is the same as A&M landing Green. Both schools had to hold serve and land the commitment of a natural lean. Johnson has more upside. Both are potential Justin Blalock's as college tackles, NFL guards.

2. WR Garrett Wilson, Lake Travis - Ohio State (.9907): His ability to be special at any receiver position is rare, especially given his rather common size. But Wilson has compensatory ball skills, hands, body control, and quickness. In the air he plays much bigger. If he's lacking in any regard, he's not exactly dynamic on the ground.

LFL: Hello Jake Smith, who is dynamic on the ground yet not quite the acrobat Wilson is. Smith can play slot, Z, or running back. He can make plays over the middle and down the field but he's also a jet motion threat. Like Wilson, he has strong hands. How Texas missed on Wilson yet still recouped much of the loss, and in some ways gained more variety in a white kid from Arizona is beyond me. Reminds of Steve Largent with the grit of Audie Murphy.

WR Theo Wease, Allen - OU (.9902): Not landing Wease is a loss; he's a smooth, sure-handed receiver with under-rated athleticism. Losing out on him probably happened years ago. UT hasn't recruited Allen well and Wease had little interest in UT from when Charlie Strong was head coach and OU was already prioritizing him.

LFL: He and Marcus Washington are almost spitting images of each other. Washington and Wease were once rated fairly closely, though Wease rose while Washington fell. Still, the difference is marginal. Wease will put up huge numbers at OU but Washington is the heir apparent to Collin Johnson.

S Brian Williams, Bishop Dunne - A&M (.9749): I was never personally high on Williams, a player who I think is largely physically tapped out. I see him as a solid player with a good nose for the ball, but certainly not the five-star he was once rated. His composite is still high but that's largely due to the networks being done with a player's evaluation when they're 16. 247, who has the best rankings (although they're slipping) dropped him to a .93 and that's about right.

LFL: Williams and Tyler Owens aren't the same player but perhaps they would have the same fit at Texas. I see them both in a traditional safety role, either boundary or field, but likely field. Williams is certainly a better and more nuanced ballplayer at this time but Owens has significantly more athletic and physical upside. I do like Williams' mental make-up, however.

7. DL DeMarvin Leal, Converse Judson - A&M (.9737): Members of this board were savvy to Leal's upside early on. Especially unique about Leal was his traditional fit for 4i. There just aren't many like him. Funny enough, he's getting a bump his senior year when that should have happened after his junior tape made the rounds. Good player and probably the biggest miss of the cycle, at least at this point. It won't end up that way in four years.

LFL: Similar to o-line recruiting, Texas wanted both Leal and T'vondre Sweat, so I'm not excusing a miss. The star-gazers will look at the ratings and think there's a large discrepancy between the two but I'll let you know there isn't on the field. Leal being more fluid is the main difference. Sweat, as a spin, has upside that hasn't been accounted for in the ratings. They're really bad about projecting players to scheme and fit. Leal's a total boss and there's no glossing over losing him to A&M but Sweat is a stud too. Recall he was the original d-line victory between UT and A&M.

9. Lewis Cine could go here I guess but I don't view him as a true Texas player. UT compensated with either Tyler Owens or Peyton Powell the way I see it. Cine is better than each.

10. S Demani Richardson, Waxahachie - A&M (.9678): I loved his junior film. He'll hit, can run, shows offensive ability that translates to defense, etc. His senior film had me thinking more along the lines of linebacker, though. I'm not exactly sure what his fit is at this point but he's an awesome prospect.

LFL: When the staff moved on from Richardson by pursuing Chris Adimora I knew it was on to something this cycle. It's quite possible that Richardson is the SEC version of Admiora. Or Adimora is the Big 12 version of Richardson. I like them both, but prefer Adimora long-term for the Big 12. I think Richardson would definitely be a Rover at Texas while Adimora tucks into any of four places in the UT secondary. Like Richardson, or even more so, he's a baller on offense too.

11. TE Austin Stogner, Prestonwood - OU (.9668): An interesting player. He isn't the most athletic in his movements but he's athletic in his results. He has good ball skills and is nuanced when getting open. UT questioned how much growth he had left in him.

LFL: The opposite of Stogner in many ways is Jared Wiley. Wiley may not possess Stogner's floor (debatable) but I think he has more upside. Given Wiley's senior year has been spent at quarterback -- a role that will benefit him in college -- it's hard to know exactly what he'll be, though he's a more dynamic athlete than Stogner. To put it bluntly, I'd rather have Stogner's athleticism in OU's scheme than Wiley's.

13. WR Dylan Wright, West Mesquite - A&M (.9616): Funny that the school that negative recruited Texas for lack of usage of Collin Johnson and Lil'Jordan Humphrey has been able to find ways to make Kendrick Rogers disappear in games not played against Clemson and LSU. Wright has those same Plastic Man attributes Rogers has. At some point they'll probably have Rogers stretch the field. Wright can do that too. The biggest question here is the comparison to Omar Manning one coach offered me, and not necessarily as a player.

LFL: Texas doesn't have a guy like Wright in the class, though Marcus Washington is the fit at X receiver. Texas will have to land one in 2020 and has a few options, notably Quentin Johnston, Demond Demas, and Troy Omeire.

16. WR Elijah Higgins, Austin Bowie (.9596): A bigger bodied receiver who on first impression profiles as an outside receiver but has enough fluidity to play inside. He's not Lil'Jordan Humphrey but he can be moved around similarly.

LFL: The staff likes Kennedy Lewis, and he may still be an option, but he doesn't have the upside Higgins does. If Peyton Powell doesn't play defensive back he could potentially fit similar receiver roles as Higgins, at least on paper. Missing on Higgins, a local product, isn't the best look, but UT's two tight-end haul compensates for the the type of mismatches Higgins would provide.

18. TE Baylor Cupp, Brock - A&M (.9585): I've seen some clips of this guy moving that show very uncommon ability at his size. This state has produced some good tight ends this decade, but he moves better than any of the legit all around tight ends the last five years or so. Couple that with Fisher using tight end like he doesn't use Rogers and Cupp is headed for a huge career.

LFL: Brayden Liebrock is a stud in his own right. Last spring it was obvious both he and Cupp were woefully underrated. Both got corrections, with Cupp being given the bigger bump. I don't have a problem with that. Liebrock is the best receiving tight end Texas will have signed since Blaine Irby, and he might be better than that. Given how productive Beck has been as a tight end, as well as LJH's pseudo usage, Liebrock has to be just as excited as Cupp when it comes to deployment. This was a WTF moment akin to the staff tabbing Adimora as a replacement for Richardson. There plan was already clear but with Liebrock we began to really see it come together.

20. DL NaNa Osafo-Mensah - Notre Dame (.9441): My relationship with my own evaluation of NaNa has been rocky. Since he was a bouncy sophomore playing linebacker the upside as a spin candidate was obvious. He's now playing with his hand in the ground where he does indeed belong, but I question his consistency to bring it and I wonder how he translates playing public colleges versus private high schools. Brian Kelley should be good for him.

LFL: Myron Warren doesn't possess the same bounce as Osafo-Mensah, but I'm convinced his motor runs hotter and he has an even better body projection for 4i. Peter Mpagi is every bit as quick as Osafo-Mensah, and I love his mental evaluation. Texas has two fits here, and maybe three if you want to count Juco commit Jacoby Jones.

21. OL Branson Bragg, Crandall - Stanford (.9391): Another one that hurt without a doubt. Bragg is just how this staff would draw up a center: legit guard size, a hint of tackle movement skill, toughness and intelligence. Unfortunately that's how Stanford draws them up to. Screw Leland Stanford with a wooden protractor.

LFL: Lately I've been wondering about Isaiah Hookfin at center (would probably have trouble anchoring), though he's being recruited as a tackle. Either way, there's no like-for-like in the class for Bragg, so that was an unfortunate, if understandable miss.

Now we understand the top 25 misses and replacements but what about some hits?

There was no De'Gabriel Floyd in Texas. There rarely is. He's not just a top 25 talent, he's an elite talent. Anyone who doesn’t have two d’s in the middle of his name for a double dose of delusion understands that.

Texas didn't particularly care for the corner market this cycle, though it would have taken Marcus Banks early on. Jeffrey Carter isn't a miss because the staff didn't pursue. Athletically he's a stud, but questions remain whether or not he knows how to change a flat tire. Assuming Kenyatta Watson makes as wise decisions as Davy Crockett about where to live, he's as good or better than any option the staff could have landed instate. If he had Carter's ball skills he'd be a five-star.

Finally there's Jordan Whittington. One could make the case that he's similar to OU commit Trejan Bridges, who for my money has the best hands in the class. Both can play in the slot or Z and do great attacking the ball in the air. Whittington is bigger framed and better after the catch. I think he'll be a chain mover who can also break big plays.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We aren't getting Bru and we shouldn't have recruited him in the first place. He was always going to USC and it just scares me to death that we thought we could go out to California and take a top prospect. We need to stick to Texas (preferably central Texas) where all the kids already want to come to UT and we don't risk getting turned down. And there are fires all the time out there in California, it's a terrifying place. 

Flawless strategy--that's why we sewed up Wilson and Higgins so quickly. I think Herman knows what he is doing just fine, and if you don't chase a few real big ones, you don't get any of them. Will we get Bru? Who knows. But going hard after him is not scary at all. And not doing it is downright dumb.

1 minute ago, ausjala said:

Flawless strategy--that's why we sewed up Wilson and Higgins so quickly. I think Herman knows what he is doing just fine, and if you don't chase a few real big ones, you don't get any of them. Will we get Bru? Who knows. But going hard after him is not scary at all. And not doing it is downright dumb.

That was blatant sarcasm that I'm befuddled as to how you missed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1