Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

12 hours ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

We are most likely getting LB Caleb Johnson, OT Hookfin.

We lost ATH Powell who will commit to Baylor (legacy).

There is some chance we may lose Marcus Washington. Kennedy Lewis is his backup.

S Catalon is total unknown. IMO, most likely Arkie.

Chances for ATH Bru, RB Sanders or RB Cain are slim. RB glass is the backup.

There was secret visitor over the weekend who may or may not be Carrington himself.

There are 2shhhs waiting to drop.

That sums up about last 20-25 pages.

Bump.... Earlier Review post from pg 655

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

Bump.....earlier review post Sunday morning:

I took Machinator's write-up and added players.  Hope this helps....  Hook'em emoji869.png

Machinator  Roster Analysis 12-14-2018
QB - done      (Roschon Johnson)
RB - desperately need a second guy, preferably someone who can play early.     (Derrian Brown)
OT - done, assuming Hookfin is in (Tyler Johnson, J.Shepherd)
Interior OL - desperately need someone, including a player who can contribute immediately (and preferably at center) (Coker....staying w/TCU)
TE - done.  (Jared Wiley & Brayden Liebrock)
Outside WR - Need a second guy, maybe not desperate depending on who returns next season. If Washington flips this becomes desperate.(Marcus Washington)
Inside WR - done. ( Jake Smith & Jordan Whittington)
DE - done, assuming Warren signs (M. Warren, J.Jones & P. Mpagi)
DT - done, based on the way this staff approaches interior DL recruiting and development (T'Vondre Sweat)
LB - done, assuming Caleb Johnson is in (Floyd, Gbenda, M.Tillman)
Outside corner - done, assuming whatever nonsense Kenyatta Watson Sr. had going on has been resolved (K.Watson, M Caldwell)
Nickel - Need, whether or not this is urgent depends on how you feel about someone like Chris Adimora  (Catalon hopefully)
Field/Boundary Safety - done  (Tyler Owens and Chris Adimora)
Special teams - need competition at punter, but probably not going to address it with a scholarship this cycle  (Whittington & Smith might be Returners)

(Also read pgs 657-662 for most recent news)

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

So at WR would Texas take:  Whittington, Smith, Bru, Lewis, Washington, and Higgins?  

That would be a hell of a group, I wonder about the Lewis offer though.  We told the kid he was next in line if a spot opened up, and the offer became official.  Was that spot on the wr board or were we taking the next in line based on talent at that point, regardless of numbers in any position group? 

22 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

Powell has nothing to do with the wr numbers.  That kid's offer from Ohio St. was for safety only for a reason. 

Yes, but the rumors were that we got an upgrade over him (at his theoretical position of WR). Some have said Lewis, but some OB rumors have talked about a blue chip upgrade over Powell.

33 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

So at WR would Texas take:  Whittington, Smith, Bru, Lewis, Washington, and Higgins?  

Whittington, Smith and Washington have been in the calculator and were always going to hold a spot open for Bru.

We had Houston and Powell (ATH, nobody considered him a QB, so WR/DB).

We now are going hard after Lewis and Higgins.

You can bag on this staff if we miss on the RBs but if they can swap Houston/Powell for Lewis/Higgins in the last week before NSD1 they deserve a ton of credit.

Edited by TKthunder2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Whittington, Smith and Washington have been in the calculator and were always going to hold a spot open for Bru.

We had Houston and Powell (ATH, nobody considered him a QB, so WR/DB).

We now are going hard after Lewis and Higgins.

You can bag on this staff if we miss on the RBs but if they can swap Houston/Powell for Lewis/Higgins in the last week before NSD1 they deserve a ton of credit.

I don't want to lose Powell if I know he winds up at safety.  It all depends on how strong his desire is to play QB - is he willing to make the move to safety if he can't crack the depth chart or does he transfer because he wants to keep chasing the dream. 

28 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Bump.....earlier review post Sunday morning:

I took Machinator's write-up and added players.  Hope this helps....  Hook'em emoji869.png

Machinator  Roster Analysis 12-14-2018
QB - done      (Roschon Johnson)
RB - desperately need a second guy, preferably someone who can play early.     (Derrian Brown)
OT - done, assuming Hookfin is in (Tyler Johnson, J.Shepherd)
Interior OL - desperately need someone, including a player who can contribute immediately (and preferably at center) (Coker....staying w/TCU)
TE - done.  (Jared Wiley & Brayden Liebrock)
Outside WR - Need a second guy, maybe not desperate depending on who returns next season. If Washington flips this becomes desperate.(Marcus Washington)
Inside WR - done. ( Jake Smith & Jordan Whittington)
DE - done, assuming Warren signs (M. Warren, J.Jones & P. Mpagi)
DT - done, based on the way this staff approaches interior DL recruiting and development (T'Vondre Sweat)
LB - done, assuming Caleb Johnson is in (Floyd, Gbenda, M.Tillman)
Outside corner - done, assuming whatever nonsense Kenyatta Watson Sr. had going on has been resolved (K.Watson, M Caldwell)
Nickel - Need, whether or not this is urgent depends on how you feel about someone like Chris Adimora  (Catalon hopefully)
Field/Boundary Safety - done  (Tyler Owens and Chris Adimora)
Special teams - need competition at punter, but probably not going to address it with a scholarship this cycle  (Whittington & Smith might be Returners)

(Also read pgs 657-662 for most recent news)

Yo LT, when you copy and paste stuff, if you click the "paste as plain text instead" that pops up on the black bar in the comment box, it'll fix most of your formatting issues with different text sizes, highlights, etc. You'd lose the bold and underline here but just thought I'd share for future reference with articles from other sites. 

14 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

I don't want to lose Powell if I know he winds up at safety.  It all depends on how strong his desire is to play QB - is he willing to make the move to safety if he can't crack the depth chart or does he transfer because he wants to keep chasing the dream. 

Texas and Powell are not happening. From all accounts, Texas told him he is not welcome in this class anymore. 

11 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Texas and Powell are not happening. From all accounts, Texas told him he is not welcome in this class anymore. 

Powell decommitted from Texas already...

He went on a visit to Baylor without telling the Texas Coaches first.  Some think at that point, Texas Staff suggested he look elsewhere.  Seems Powell really wants a better shot at QB than he'll get at Texas.  Most coaches and analysts doubt he will play QB in college..... more likely a DB position.

Baylor or Tech are his expected landing spots.....

Edited by LTtxfan

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

He went on a visit to Baylor without telling the Texas Coaches first.  Some think at that point, Texas Staff suggested he look elsewhere.  Seems Powell really wants a better shot at QB than he'll get at Texas.  Most coaches and analysts doubt he will play QB in college..... more likely a DB position.

It will be Baylor. He will become the next RG III.  Every time we play the Bears we'll have to hear about how he wanted to come to Texas but we wanted him to play DB.  It is foretold.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It will be Baylor. He will become the next RG III.  Every time we play the Bears we'll have to hear about how he wanted to come to Texas but we wanted him to play DB.  It is foretold.

Eric Foreman would’ve made a hell of a LB, but he wanted to play fucking QB.  I think this is what is happening here...

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Won't go to Tech.  It now appears the new staff at TT didn't even offer. His high school teammate and current TT commit sent out a tweet today indicating his displeasure with that fact. Wasnt going to play QB and there are multiple DBs and WRs they like better.

11 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

Won't go to Tech.  It now appears the new staff at TT didn't even offer. His high school teammate and current TT commit sent out a tweet today indicating his displeasure with that fact. Wasnt going to play QB and there are multiple DBs and WRs they like better.

Lmao that's great 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Has anyone commented on how artful these new photos are? When other schools reach for flash, we go back to the age-old craft of painting with light. Tasteful. 

Yes. I really like the Orange/White opposed lighting scheme. I think the graphics department deserves a lot of credit and budget going forward. I like the LED wall/ceiling setup as well but I hope they’re looking to constantly improve as other schools start to copy our graphics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

If he is really that bad I wonder why we offered in the 1st place.  

7 hours ago, TexasMan said:

So I just got back home from a long weekend in New York. Before I left everyone seemed happy with what was going on in recruiting, and now that I get back everyone is panicking big time. Summary of what has gone wrong in the past 4 days? 

We lost errbody.  Aggy signed errbody. Pets heads. Bru mcsanders visited and Kirby smart was pissed off 

EJ update 

— There was some Baylor buzz for four-star offensive lineman Isaiah Hookfin this weekend, and there is definitely something to it. The Bears have been quietly surging for Hookfin and are making things very interesting for Texas. The Longhorns did have a very good official visit weekend, but it wasn’t enough to lock up Hookfin. With all this said, we’re told that there isn’t a ton of confidence on the Baylor side and that Texas felt better about the situation tonight. I’m sticking with my Texas Crystal Ball right now, but this is one we are going to be following closely the next couple of days.

— Texas did a great job with elite defensive back Jalen Catalon this weekend. He has a strong personal relationship with safeties coach Craig Naivar and a bond with players on the team like Josh Thompson and Caden Sterns — they all use the same defensive back trainer. Both Thompson and Sterns made Catalon feel like family this weekend, and I actually have reason to believe Texas is top of mind for Catalon. But there is still work to do with his parents. I’m told their preferences are still Arkansas and TCU. While Texas made an impression this weekend, they must win them over before February.

— By the way, Catalon is making an official visit to TCU in January, and I’m hearing that the Horned Frogs are gaining a lot of steam. As mentioned, his parents really like TCU and feel comfortable with the staff. On top of that, TCU is only about a half hour drive for them, and I’m told they would love to have their son nearby. While Arkansas is the heavy favorite, I wouldn’t be shocked if TCU garners his commitment in the end. Keep in mind that TCU will be Catalon’s last official visit. As for Texas, the Longhorns have done enough with Catalon. It’s all about the parents. I can’t state that enough.

— I felt somewhat optimistic about UT's chances with TCU offensive line commit Andrew Coker this morning. But after gathering more intel following the official visit, all signs point to him sticking with the Frogs. Coker told our Mike Roach that he was still signing with TCU on Wednesday and after checking in with sources, I feel like he is being genuine. It would be surprising if Coker has a change of heart before signing day.

16 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

EJ update 

— I felt somewhat optimistic about UT's chances with TCU offensive line commit Andrew Coker this morning. But after gathering more intel following the official visit, all signs point to him sticking with the Frogs. Coker told our Mike Roach that he was still signing with TCU on Wednesday and after checking in with sources, I feel like he is being genuine. It would be surprising if Coker has a change of heart before signing day.

Seems EJ is always the last to know

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

Updated Texas Roster Table I think

any additional changes/edits for guys that are leaving? For some reason I thought I had seen something on Houston and at this point assume Porter is gone

ECnp0Z.png

Houston's just been mentioned in the same articles as Porter as a potential leaver. Let's be honest though, they're both gone and no one will shed a tear when it's official.

Edited by texifornia

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

EJ update 

— There was some Baylor buzz for four-star offensive lineman Isaiah Hookfin this weekend, and there is definitely something to it. The Bears have been quietly surging for Hookfin and are making things very interesting for Texas. The Longhorns did have a very good official visit weekend, but it wasn’t enough to lock up Hookfin. With all this said, we’re told that there isn’t a ton of confidence on the Baylor side and that Texas felt better about the situation tonight. I’m sticking with my Texas Crystal Ball right now, but this is one we are going to be following closely the next couple of days.

— Texas did a great job with elite defensive back Jalen Catalon this weekend. He has a strong personal relationship with safeties coach Craig Naivar and a bond with players on the team like Josh Thompson and Caden Sterns — they all use the same defensive back trainer. Both Thompson and Sterns made Catalon feel like family this weekend, and I actually have reason to believe Texas is top of mind for Catalon. But there is still work to do with his parents. I’m told their preferences are still Arkansas and TCU. While Texas made an impression this weekend, they must win them over before February.

— By the way, Catalon is making an official visit to TCU in January, and I’m hearing that the Horned Frogs are gaining a lot of steam. As mentioned, his parents really like TCU and feel comfortable with the staff. On top of that, TCU is only about a half hour drive for them, and I’m told they would love to have their son nearby. While Arkansas is the heavy favorite, I wouldn’t be shocked if TCU garners his commitment in the end. Keep in mind that TCU will be Catalon’s last official visit. As for Texas, the Longhorns have done enough with Catalon. It’s all about the parents. I can’t state that enough.

That is some epic paysite hedging bullshit going on there. He left himself an out for whomever Catalon signs with. 

Shame on anyone that pays for that horseshit. 

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If Catalon’s parents are honestly swayed that either TCU or Arkansas are better selections for the off-field safety and development of their son, then they’re probably too stupid 

You could’ve stopped right here, but kuddos for further validating your point.

10 hours ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

Tried to dig around for info on Bru's visit but not one twitter post or pic from Bru, not even any USC likes or new follows.  The USC message board is a real well, no replies to the Bru thread or any insiders posting updates on 247 or twitter.  This pic you posted is all I could find.  This has been a really quiet visit. 

Bru is going to USC and nowhere else but I do love the hope. 

10 hours ago, nycHorn said:

JT Daniels is the valet parker that steals the change from your ash tray.

this made me laugh.  he really does look like a little sleazeball. 

2 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

You could’ve stopped right here, but kuddos for further validating your point.

Brevity is not really his style.  A nice verbose evisceration is what you can usually expect.  It gets real good when a rival posts some stupid shit on the football board.  He doles out the e-napalm then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

Catalon is 5’9” and maxed out physically.  he doesn’t have the quick twitch that kyler murray has.  he’s a phenomenal high school player but I don’t see him as much of a loss seeing as we want to compete for championships. 

I like him a lot as a safety/nickel where his tremendous instincts, football IQ, and ball skills make a difference, but his lack of uncommon physical traits, recent bad injury, and Naivar's ability to recruit safeties at an elite clip have me not caring too much about where he decides to go. I actually wouldn't mind him going to Arkansas to help beat A&M every once in awhile, if it's not Texas.