Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Just now, Herminator said:

Yeah, I do think Herman needs to rethink his staff and get a closer or 2.  They are "good" at recruiting but not great at closing on highly contested recruitments.  Overall I think this is a good class, but there are some weaknesses on the OL, RB and DL side.  1 commit at RB & OL isn't going to cut it and we still didn't sign any DT's.  We did get some good DE's and maybe 1 or 2 will grow into the DT role, but I don't think we have the luxury of waiting 2-3 years for that to pan out.  Hopefully the misses on the big guns will get Herman moving ... 

If any good can come from this at least it is clear our staff is not maximized for the current recruiting landscape. 

2 minutes ago, Herminator said:

Yeah, I do think Herman needs to rethink his staff and get a closer or 2.  They are "good" at recruiting but not great at closing on highly contested recruitments.  Overall I think this is a good class, but there are some weaknesses on the OL, RB and DL side.  1 commit at RB & OL isn't going to cut it and we still didn't sign any DT's.  We did get some good DE's and maybe 1 or 2 will grow into the DT role, but I don't think we have the luxury of waiting 2-3 years for that to pan out.  Hopefully the misses on the big guns will get Herman moving ... 

Can y'all wait to make these fucking takes until at least tomorrow?

Christ it's 10:30 in the morning. Bru isn't declaring for another 3 weeks. Maybe some crazy shit happens. 

Just now, Skipper said:

I agree the way this class closed out likely isn't sitting well with Herman.   Hopefully enough to spur some much needed changes to the staff.

What's fucked up is that, if reports are to believed, random message board posters had a better feel for this class than the coaching staff.  How is that possible?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I'm telling y'all, it's the DFW/Houston divide. We replace Drayton with a guy who can recruit DFW (Beatty) and it'll pay immediate dividends. It's less about being a 'closer'.

Cain was really a Baton Rouge kid, but your point still stands. We've signed a grand total of 6 DFW kids the last 3 years, and one of them was Rob Cummins, who shouldn't even count.

Edited by Lonestar88

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I'm going to assume Pedo St. has a much better oline than we do.  Fix the fucking oline and we MIGHT start getting some 5* RBs.  Until then, it is real easy to recruit against Texas.

Oline, oline, oline.  Fucking fix it. 

We are well on our way with a whopping 1 commit

• Haha 1

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Wonder if Drayton is interested in going back to the NFL.

Maybe or more than likely he's a good position coach (can't fault his resume on guys like Elliot, etc.) but not a great recruiter.  So far, he's 0 for this season since Derrian Brown was recruited by J-Wash ... 

Class isn't disappointing, as it will likely finish #10 or just outside of the top 10, but we didn't close well, as has been the case each year of Herman's tenure. We have to fill holes at OL, RB, DL to an extent. Got a great LB, good to great group of WRs, great QB for our system. 

However, we knew there were shananigans this year with Jimbo and so many perplexing, out of left field aggy commits. Plus Jimbo has that new car smell. But we have to adjust our strategy and play the game if the NCAA won't be a referee to enforce the rules. And we've got to make some changes to this staff to bring in a closer. Carrington is great but if we can't put him out on the road, his utility is limited.

Oh well. On to 2020.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Just curious why it's almost always a coaches fault when a recruit signs somewhere else? Aren't there many other factor$ and circumstances in a recruitment? 

Recruiting is a massive part of their jobs.  If they can't get it done at the level necessary, they are failing as employees.  Period.  

26 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Pattern emerging now in year 3 with Herman:  For blue chip guys that take their announcement right up until signing day, Herman has only gotten one recruit as far as I can remember--Ossai:

2017--Big miss on K'Lavon Chaisson.

2018--Waddle (really weren't even in the running by the end of the cycle), Vernon Jackson, Bobby Brown.

2019--Misses on Bru, Sanders, Cain.

Kind of a satyanash-like post??