Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 minute ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

The fucking in the boys room thing is one of a number of data points that have given evaluators pause.

what did I miss here?

hoping the jake smith info isn’t true.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/10/23/oklahoma-commit-spencer-rattler-ruled-ineligible-rest-season/1745804002/

He got suspended for the season and that's apparently why. I'm not sure if he ended up playing after that or not. 

2 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

The fucking in the boys room thing is one of a number of data points that have given evaluators pause.

what did I miss here?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/10/23/oklahoma-commit-spencer-rattler-ruled-ineligible-rest-season/1745804002/

4 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

what did I miss here?

He got suspended for the back half of his high school season for that.

And are you shocked that the blond, private school, National Gatorade PotY WR is kind of a primadonna? At that position especially, ego management is a really high priority for the coaching staff.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There's more than just 2019 stuff in this update, but I'm not being paid to post, so I'm dumping it all here and you guys can do with it/disseminate it/ignore it as you like.

Regarding the UA guys, from someone with inherent knowledge:

-Washington - going to be a major player at the next level. He doesn't have a "one thing" that makes you say wow, but he's the overall package who can be a standout in college. Guys like Barton Simmons are always looking for the one thing, because they're clowns, and coaches that can evaluate can usually find the guys that do it all better than average, and when put together, are elite overall as a result.

-Gbenda - smart fucking player. Ceiling is at least All Big 12 in CFB. The team didn't have enough guys on the field for protecting a kick during the game, and without prompting, Gbenda sees this and runs onto the field and lines up to support the team. He wasn't on the field goal unit. He has a big wing span, which is a good sign at backer. The rumors of him being a flake during the recruitment are true in that he does his own thing and doesn't give a fuck about anyone's opinion, but it's mostly in the "I know where I'm headed" kind of way, which actually gives you the expectation that he'll be more steadfast as a teammate and player in college. 

-Johnson - between the ears, the best player on the field. A leader that causes others to shut the fuck up when he speaks, he runs the huddle and the team he's on. He's all arm mechanically, and that won't be good enough in college. No big deal. Proper QB coaching will help him use his core and hips, which will suddenly make him look like he has a whip. This was an original part of the understanding with him when he was recruited, but it's something that 24/7 marked him down for a year ago, and Rivals is now whining about after this week. 

-Liebrock - way thicker on the bottom than previously thought. He'll carry 250 in college without any loss in quickness or speed. Tough forum for him to excel in, but looks like he could be a stud in a good system in college. Smart player. 

-Watson - had a hamstring problem that limited during the week, but it is clear he has everything you want at CB. He will compete to start as a freshman. Underrated recruit after watching him up close. 

Other shit:

-Jake Smith - high prima donna risk, per coaches who he grew up and played around. He begged off from the game because ... he didn't feel like playing. Don't shoot the messenger and this could prove to be bullshit once he's on campus. Just a data point to layer in to your thinking. 

-Speaking of Arizona boys, Spenser Rattler is basically Jameis Winston, at least maturity-wise. Might not be a problem at OU, but Riley isn't looking to run a fucking nuthouse. The fucking in the boys room thing is one of a number of data points that have given evaluators pause. On the field, he's probably the best QB in this class, or close to that. They're going to have to basically have guys around him if he winds up in the spotlight. 

Texas remaining outlook for 2019 class:

-The North Shore DB, since the word is out, is high on the board. No clue if he's interested, but if he is, expect him to visit. Texas does what you want good staffs to do in that they keep evaluating. They're not going to offer to just to offer to fill a spot. They think he's a player.

-They're getting another OL. 

-28 is the total expectation. 

Other schools' recruits:

-Calzada - dude was tiny as a sophomore and on the JV. He grew 4-5 inches and added 40 pounds before his junior year. He's a better athlete than he gets credit for, and he has a fucking cannon. He has Ivy League grades and scores. Terrible arm accuracy even with okay mechanics. On the field, he's currently an idiot. If they can harness him mentality into being a stable thinker on the field, and if can find some accuracy, this will be a take that we mocked that pays off for ATM. Higher odds are in him being nothing special and a back-up, but as far as lottery tickets in a bad QB class, this one isn't the worst. 

-Alabama - Every fucking Bama player at the UA AA game is a fucking dawg. This is their best class yet.

-Thibodeaux - Not quite going to be Clowney, but the hype is legit.

-The OU players are good. Not daunting, but good. Wease is a stud and a motherfucker. Morris looks like a great take. Wete looks "fine".

-Jerrion Ealy - he's going to be a high draft pick and will probably never play CFB. If he does, he's the second coming of Peter Warrick.

-Cain - he will move the chains, but the build up for him over time was not merited. Plenty of solid backs that have comparable skills and size and got less attention.

2020 Guys and Beyond:

-Card is legitimately good. He's going to be wiry, but he doesn't look fragile.

-Cooper is fucking good, but he's not on the same level as Waddle or R Moore. Not knocking him, just calibrating.

-Lindberg's first time against this caliber of guys was a learning experience. He's got the tools and is a take.

Non-UA shit:

-Texas will take a smaller class in 2020, much to my chagrin. In the teens. The flip is that, if they're right that this is all they can take, they're doing a good job of retaining players and building a roster for the long haul.

-2020 will be a small OL and DL class accordingly. Smaller than we'd like on this board, if they close 2019 well. Majors will go elsewhere in part because of this. 

-They'll still take multiple backs. The AZ offer is bizarre because Evans, McGowan, Jordan, and Cooper are all guys that could wind up being in the class. The state of Texas is loaded at TB and they're in good shape with Cooper.

-They look really, really good on west coast talent in 2020. They also need to take Texas players. It's going to be an interesting dance. 

-Pretty much impossible to find a CB that could get into grad school at Texas and push for playing time. OL is another story. 

-Whittington will be a hybrid getting handoffs and playing slot.

-Kardell Thomas is 50+ pounds heavier than when rated and looks like a total flop. 

-The fatty going to OU on the OL was a guy that had to be subbed for at Allen on passing plays because he couldn't get his assignments right, and now he's also a fat ass. 

-OU is evaluating and recruiting akin to Chuckles. Plenty of talent coming in, but the roster mix and character types will be interesting to watch develop. 

-If LJH isn't scared of the piss test, he's determined to come back to Texas. The piss test risk is a big deal to him. 

-Texas fucking loves the last class and guys they redshirted. Some guys they're not hyping at all because of recruiting purposes, but at least one mom from the twitterverse should be excited about her son's future. 

-They expect Thompson back. Buechele is heading to SMU.

-Christian Jones is one year away from being ready to be a stud at OT. 

Thanks for this. I am not very gruntled at 2020 numbers with such a bad ass in state class, particularly if we sprinkle in some OOS prospects. My hope is that we hit on our must-have recruits at each position. 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

And are you shocked that the blond, private school, National Gatorade PotY WR is kind of a primadonna? At that position, ego management is a really high priority for the coaching staff.

It's ok, Mehringer is generally beloved by his charges.

(yes, I know that meekins coaches inside WRs). 

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

And are you shocked that the blond, private school, National Gatorade PotY WR is kind of a primadonna? At that position especially, ego management is a really high priority for the coaching staff.

Doesn't surprise me, although he better get ready to get punched in the mouth and like it when he hits campus.  

5 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Recruit ratings ... really paid off for UGA, right?

If some of our recruits are undervalued .. good. Just another motivator when the games begin. 

if you don't think recruiting rankings matter at all you need to go elsewhere.

1) they matter (link)

2) you are in a recruiting thread

• Like 2

In regards to Dele' playing against Big 12 offenses, the offenses are changing in the Big 12.  The 2 Oklahoma schools may be the only hurry up air-raid types now.  I don't think Neal Brown is a fast-paced offensive guy and we probably wont see it at Tech now.  The Kansas schools may be under center a lot.

• Like 1

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

In regards to Dele' playing against Big 12 offenses, the offenses are changing in the Big 12.  The 2 Oklahoma schools may be the only hurry up air-raid types now.  I don't think Neal Brown is a fast-paced offensive guy and we probably wont see it at Tech now.  The Kansas schools may be under center a lot.

Neal Brown self-describes his offense as the "NASCAR Offense."  But he doesn't run the Air Raid.  Orlando has shown no difficulty topping non-Air Raid spread offenses.

But you're wrong about Tech.  Matt Wells' OC, Yost, is a Leach disciple.  Their offense will look very similar next year.

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas remaining outlook for 2019 class:

-The North Shore DB, since the word is out, is high on the board. No clue if he's interested, but if he is, expect him to visit. Texas does what you want good staffs to do in that they keep evaluating. They're not going to offer to just to offer to fill a spot. They think he's a player.

Do they see Stewart (the North Shore DB) as a true CB or a nickel option?  He's listed as a CB, but in his highlights, he's playing nickel for North Shore.

Just now, Machinator said:

28 being the number is surprising. Even if we sign Shepherd, another DB, another RB, and another OL, that brings us to 26. I wonder if they're looking for another jumbo athlete to replace Williams, and then leaving one spot open for someone to fall into our lap.

do you even "BRU MCCOY DEFINITELY HASN'T SIGNED YET," bruh?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yost is 100% a HUNH guy. Tech will continue to run it, although the Missouri Gary Pinkel version of the air raid was far inferior to the Leach/KK/Cumbie/Riley version.

Just now, Vertigo said:

Yost is 100% a HUNH guy. Tech will continue to run it, although the Missouri Gary Pinkel version of the air raid was far inferior to the Leach/KK/Cumbie/Riley version.

After coaching under Pinkel, Yost went to Wazzu and coached under Leach for three years.  After Wazzu, he coached under Lubick (a Frost/Kelly disciple) at Oregon.

If there's one guy who has had access to some of the most lethal offenses from the last 20 years of college football, it's Yost.  We'll see if he can put it all together.

• Like 2

I think Herman will always take big numbers. It looks like he comes from the Saban school of thought. Take big numbers and if there are busts you can “help” them move on. 

I actually think this this is the better way to protect against attrition the more I’ve watched college football. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

I think Herman will always take big numbers. It looks like he comes from the Saban school of thought. Take big numbers and if there are busts you can “help” them move on. 

Most posters on this board have always agreed with that.  Definitely CTJ has.  But CTJ himself just posted that the number will be in the teens next year.

Based on that, I don't know what to think.

Just now, Katfid54 said:

Most posters on this board have always agreed with that.  Definitely CTJ has.  But CTJ himself just posted that the number will be in the teens next year.

Based on that, I don't know what to think.

There are always random years where you take low numbers because of roster imbalances. That doesn’t tell me much. 

Saban took a smaller class last year. 

Ctj quote:  "Texas will take a smaller class in 2020, much to my chagrin. In the teens. The flip is that, if they're right that this is all they can take, they're doing a good job of retaining players and building a roster for the long haul."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Curious if TEXAS starts taking a few more transfers who sit out a year,  and won't affect the Recruit #'s count for the 2020 Class? 
  • Hope they are judicious with remaining 2019 Recruiting slots..... maybe even push a couple slots ahead to the 2020 Recruiting Class.
  • Also hope Shepherd gets accepted at Texas before he signs so it's not a wasted recruiting slot.

13 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Perhaps I'm just dense, but are you saying LJH's is one more failed piss test away from a long-term suspension at Texas? Wouldn't that also be a problem in the NFL?

I struggle with this question as well, but my understanding is that the NFL basically tells you when and where you're going to get tested unless you piss them off, so it's easier to avoid detection. But this could be me rationalizing shit in my brain. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I struggle with this question as well, but my understanding is that the NFL basically tells you when and where you're going to get tested unless you piss them off, so it's easier to avoid detection. But this could be me rationalizing shit in my brain. 

Plus, you know how much pee you can buy on an NFL salary?  Some.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes, I have heard Dan Neil say as much. It is usually once per year during training camp and they give you multiple weeks notice. 

8 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Do they see Stewart (the North Shore DB) as a true CB or a nickel option?  He's listed as a CB, but in his highlights, he's playing nickel for North Shore.

I didn't include this originally because I do not ever want to look like an aggie, but what I was told is that he's a late discovery and higher on the board than Catalon. Nickel. 

12 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Perhaps I'm just dense, but are you saying LJH's is one more failed piss test away from a long-term suspension at Texas? Wouldn't that also be a problem in the NFL?

He's never failed a thing with the NFL. He's dealing with a combo of a low draft grade including feedback beyond the "not a round 1 or 2 candidate", a family firmly in the middle class and not desperate for money, and not being able to keep from getting high regularly. One more weed bust and the dude is done. Then you've really got a problem heading to the NFL. I won't be surprised if he stays or goes. 

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

28 being the number is surprising. Even if we sign Shepherd, another DB, another RB, and another OL, that brings us to 26. I wonder if they're looking for another jumbo athlete to replace Williams, and then leaving one spot open for someone to fall into our lap.

I have no clue on who else they'd take, but like I said, they continue to evaluate and they've got line of sight on guys they like a lot. It surprised me too. These aren't numbers coming from a fanboi or conjured in their own mind's eye.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I didn't include this originally because I do not ever want to look like an aggie, but what I was told is that he's a late discovery and higher on the board than Catalon. Nickel. 

That's fantastic news.

Plus, it presumably can't hurt with Evans and Banks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:
5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes, I have heard Dan Neil say as much. It is usually once per year during training camp and they give you multiple weeks notice.  

51581658-e5fd-4c29-a57b-8b8e7a2ae514_tex